Iolite Beta testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Quick take on the second beta unit.

Side by side with the first beta unit. Unit and manual updated with the new name. I'm told this shade of blue was a limited run for FC beta testers. :brow:

The reshaped herb chamber is the big change with this beta as far as I'm aware. First beta on the left, current on the right and in the second pic. The first beta did away with the lower screen and made the heat pin removable. On the right you can see this version has a slightly rounded bottom for super easy cleaning. Thumbs up from me.

New moisture condenser. The smaller one is still in the lower piece of the mouthpiece, this one goes in the top section. I don't have any damp bud at the moment so I can't really comment on the effectiveness of this. With dry herb it works great with or without if you ask me, never had a problem with the hits being too hot.

I've only done a few test runs but the unit is working great so far. I want to say performance is better with this unit than the first beta but I haven't done extensive side by side testing yet so don't quote me on that yet. I will say performance in general is excellent, whatever they tweaked seems to be working. Ignition to the end of initial heat up cycle took 1 minute and 2 seconds when I timed it, good vapor right away and throughout with an even cook. I think O&B has a winner here, I'm impressed.

My unit shipped with the lower section of the mouthpiece screwed in and the threads broke off in transit (bubble packed envelope). Not a big deal, the 'old' mouthpiece is compatible, and I don't see this happening in normal use. But since this is the beta thread and iolite is asking for suggestions, I think an all metal mouthpiece might be a cool optional part. In addition to being a more resilient, it would eliminate any plastic in the vapor path. Now to be clear I haven't detected any plastic taste with the current iteration and I'm confident in its safety from the info iolite has given us on the materials used. However, the option of eliminating it completely would make the paranoids happy. I'd buy one. Metal on metal threads might be touchy but I think it could work.

Anyway, first impressions: this thing is rockin'. :tup:

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
An email from iolite cleared up the moisture condenser change. The new, longer condenser -29mm- (placed in the extension), is supposed to be used alone, not with the original condenser in the mouthpiece. If they decide to use the new one in production units, the original short one will go away.

max,

iolite

Manufacturer
@ vtac

Thanks for the great info.

Just to clarify the blue unit is in production not just a beta special. Sorry if you were under the impression it was.

I?m really sorry about what happened the mouthpiece. Do you require another one? If so I will send one in the post to you. Just let me know.

As regards a metal mouthpiece this is impossible at the moment because an all-metal mouthpiece screwed into the herb chamber would drastically increase the heat on the lips when drawing upon the vapouriser. We can make the extended section of the mouthpiece in aluminium but this would double the cost of manufacture with a result of increasing the retail price of the mouthpieces.

All the Best
The Team @ iolite

iolite,

captainhits

Retailer
Iolite: If you don't mind a constructive opinion, please put me in on the beta-testing! :brow:
Thanks

captainhits,

marcuss

above the clouds
captainhits said:
Iolite: If you don't mind a constructive opinion, please put me in on the beta-testing! :brow:
Thanks
too late man... :lol:

ehy beta testers... what do you think about the new condenser?

maybe i'm getting skilled ever and ever but to me seems that i can get bigger clouds from this little blue boy from the start till the end of a session....i'm really satisfied of this one!

marcuss,

buddhaholic420

Grand master-vaper
The new condensor is good at keeping vape temp cool, but overtime it got really gunky and clogged. i guess the idea is cool, but not practical. no need if you ask me.

buddhaholic420,

marcuss

above the clouds
i agree with you buddha.....i use it only once and it does its work but it is more an option for very wet herb to me!

marcuss,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello All (nice 2 hear from U)!

I have had an opportunity to use the original model, the first beta unit, and the second many times. I have used the second beta rendition with the new moisture condenser alone, in combination with the old one, etc. I felt that it cooled well (the grooves and the hole up the center makes sense), but is too long and awkward to really be practical (plus needed the two other pieces due to no threads), and, therefore, never got to the point where it got clogged (but could imagine that the new one is way too long to fit in a PD stem for a cleaning and could be a PIA :p ). However, I do think that the Iolite can feel too hot/dry when used repeatedly without water cooling/filtration/moistureization.

I still support the idea of making all of the threads the same size and making hollow balls with two threaded holes that allow the tiny cylinder pieces to connect at right angles (the turns would collect particles that get airborn and contribute to cooling, so the user could adjust how cool they wanted the vapor to be by how many ball/bends they used).

Also, (if you follow that idea) you may be able to imagine a set up with a cylinder link (like the first link that attaches to all of the models), than a ball/bend over/away from the unit, then a cylinder link, then a ball/bend down the side of the unit, then a cylinder link then a ball bend over/away from the unit. This would allow one to hit the Iolite from the side where one would likely speak into a walkie-talkie style phone (plus the cooling/particle benefits mentioned above).

If you follow me on the follow-up idea, picture an easy but awesome addition. Instead of using a ball with 2 threaded holes to connect the last piece to create walkie-talk-olite, using one with 3 threaded holes for the last ball/bend, and adding another 'down piece' that would come with a cap (like the white mouthpiece, but sealed) to catch all of the stuff that gets the users lips all sticky after long/repeated sessions.

I also have MANY other ideas (some that extend off of these basic ones--too much free time? :lol:). Hopefully, before Iolite revises the current unit OR develops an additional unit, they will run the ideas they are thinking of trying past the vapor community. I imagine that Iolite would do this (or at least announce the upcoming unit), as they promoted the original I-Inhale and even had a presale. Hopefully, for round 2 they will run their ideas past a final round of individuals with potential insight into R&D before beginning production.

I look foreword to thoughts on this idea and other ideas those who have had the opportunity to use the beta units may have."Creativity precipitates progress (or is it the other way around)"--Paraphrased from Fucker Chat

Progress,

marcuss

above the clouds
ehy novis...it is quite annoying to see noobs in action....did you read that thread?.....please if you want to give a big help to those guys just direct them to this forum especially the Iolite thread and let them learn something already discussed here.......it could be a defective unit in a noob's hand......this is the only problem i think :2c:

Anyway welcome on board and if you want you can introduce yourself in the right thread ;)

marcuss,

novis

I would love to have joined that thread over on their forums, but an admin needs to approve my acct first. I'm usually a lurker but I'll probably be checking in here from time to time to share some experiences ;)

later, novis

p.s. if anyone wants to discuss some of the queries made over on that forum (especially this guy) I'll be sure and point them to this thread if and when my account gets approved over there.

oh, and while I'm thinking about it... has anyone here noticed any BAD effects in relation to the iolite? It would be nice to hear some of the downfalls to get a balanced view of how good this product is, and where it can improve. I'm sure the iolite guys would like to hear about this too.

this may be a daft idea... but has anyone considered a glass mouthpiece? Is this even practical?

novis,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
I went thru 3 mouthpieces in the first day, fortunatly I had ordered 2 iolites and was able to use the mouthpieces from that one. My fourth mouthpiece has held up for 4 days now.

highendvapes,

magicmonkey

Are beta testers still being accepted? :brow: If so, I have a desktop vaporizer (generic wood outside with a vape tube one) and an iolite (I think second generation...?) to compare with and I'd have no problem writing up detailed assessments.

magicmonkey,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom