indoor vs. outdoor grown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimlinsa

Am wondering what folks have noticed about the difference between indoor and outdoor grown pot. I have been going with outdoor grown on the theory that it is more "organic," if you like, more "natural," more "real," more "divine," more in tune with Spirit . . . .

I guess the question is, is outdoor less potent? I can't say I have enough experience to compare the two at this stage of the game.

So which do you prefer? Indoor or outdoor? Or is it a non-issue?

:/

Jimlinsa,

eddyfrancis

I think it depends on two things: the sun and the soil. I have had low quality outdoor that was grown in poor soil so it didn't get the chance to use all that energy from the sun. I have also had outdoor hydro that was some of the best stuff I've ever smoked. I have heard that the UV and general all around increased spectrum from the sun actually helps to increase the amount of resin. I guess you could say that outdoor is better because the plants have evolved to grow under that kind of light, but indoor we're introducing a whole new artificial spectrum.

eddyfrancis,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Strain, care, and cure related in my opinion.....

I like both indoor AND outdoor.

smokum,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
There is no relationship between indoor outdoor and organic vs. Sythetic chemicals. Pot can b grown indoors organically and outdoors with chemicals.

IAmKrazy2,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
IAmKrazy2 said:
There is no relationship between indoor outdoor and organic vs. Sythetic chemicals. Pot can b grown indoors organically and outdoors with chemicals.

I guess if you count hothouse as indoor this doesn't apply, but as eddyfrancis pointed out, one difference is the light. Count me among those who thinks that is significant.

For the record, like a lot of recreational users I have no idea how my material was grown. I was told the last batch was outdoor (which I don't assume means organic) but that's as much as I know and I have no idea whether it's even accurate.

pakalolo,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I would say, there is no substitute for sunlight, and an unlimited amount of room for roots to spread out. But in indoor grows. Factors like temputure, nutrient intake, lighting, co2 levels, pests, are more easy to control in an indoor enviroment.

Plants can be grown indoor with little care in gross unsanitary conditions. Same thing with outdoor, where pests could be worse. I think knowing you have a quality source for medicine that was grown with care and the consumer in mind is most important. I personally smoke all 100% organic indoor soil grown herb and love it. Best taste comes from pure organic IMO

IAmKrazy2,

DubCRider

I prefer indoor but anything that gets me medicated is good by me!

I find outdoor has thicker stems so my theory is you get more out of indoor.

DubCRider,

Egzoset

Banned
If it's true Ultra-Violet "B" radiation affects THC production positively then i'd point out one question to answer 1st would be this: how much difference does it make for a plant to be exposed to UVB exactly?

:2c:

Egzoset,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
One would think that with an indoor grow you can have better control of the environment, meaning better control of insects, mold, the soil and nutrients, and in general the quality. Not saying you can't grow some amazing outdoor, I just think it would be easier to grow indoors while controlling all the variables. I know I wouldn't like the risk involved with an outdoor grow. Theft, animals/insects, too much sun, too hot, ect... that's a lot to deal with when you cant control it.

aesthyrian,

Nosferatu

I only smoke Organically grown bud and I prefer it to be outdoor, but I cant get that all year, so I end up buying alot of Organic Indoor as well. Nothing saddens me to more than to see zombie stoners because they only smoke thast 65$ an eighth bullshit bud that is way too strong and usually full of chemicals.

Another thing to think about is greenhouse, that is still using the sun as light but it is in a more controlled environment. But I see nothing cleaner about indoor bud and besides smelling better it is usually weaker to me. Organic Greenhouse and outdoor are nice, but sure sometimes you want that incredible indoor. :brow:

Nosferatu,

Irie

Chant Down Babylon
I have never had an indoor and outdoor sample of any ONE PLANT and taken at a similar flower time to compare.
ThAt is what it would take, at a minimum, to really have this conversation.
Elevation is also a factor in outdoor grows.

All 65$ 1/8's are not full of chemicals....even if the partakers are heavy stoned. They obviously prefer more potent indicas. We all have our preferences.
I have herb that will make you droopy, red eyed and snore....it's organic and this plant doesn't produce well so it would be high priced if sold.....

Irie,

djonkoman

I mostly vape outdoor, my own harvest(aso xcompletely organic etc, only nutes I sometimes use is what I made myself from nettles growing a few metres further)
in my experience indoor is ually stronger(altough it also dedpends on grower skill, strain, climate etc)
but I find the kind of effect of outdoor more pleasant
indoor hits harder, outdoor has a slower oncome, and a more full/complete feeling
and because mine is completely organic it's much smoother as most coffeeshop indoorweed, especiall in the vape

djonkoman,

Sour Deez

All you guys smoking organic herb, im assuming you know the grower or grow your own? Cause there is no way to tell if it was grown with organic or chemical nutrients if the grower knows what he is doing. A proper flush willl get out all the additives and the taste will be exactly the same. If the plant needs N, it doesnt matter if it gets it from bat guano or a bottle. A good way to determine if there are trace elements left in the herb is by the ash color, i know we dont combust here, the ash should turn pure white, not gray.

Sour Deez,

weedemon

enthusiast
i always thought the sun was the worlds best light bulb. it's just the other condition that are harder to maintain like you can when you control all the other environmental factors. your weakest link in the plants well being(nutrients, water, CO2, w/e it may be) is what will prevent the strain from being as good as it possibly can.

weedemon,

crawdad

floatin
Irie said:
I have never had an indoor and outdoor sample of any ONE PLANT and taken at a similar flower time to compare.
ThAt is what it would take, at a minimum, to really have this conversation.

i agree and unless you do it yourself, its near pointless.

id find it hard to believe that the sun (how this plant was able to be to begin with) is not the best source of light however im sure some regions would perhaps benefit from a more controlled environment to maximize the plants abilities...essentially duplicate another regions light pattern.

as a veggie grower (i love fresh veggies!) i battle the organic vs synthetic issue often but i figure if a plant gets a real good flush (say two weeks worth) then its likely a non issue. this is mostly speculation mind you, do not have science docs to quote.

mod note: Enough said on this topic. Many variables exist besides inside vs. outside. This topic is best left to other forums. Topics concerning the cultivation of cannabis are not permitted.

crawdad,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom