Discontinued Imp by MistVape

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
@mistvaporizer Great stuff you got there ! That wooden mod cases like the one in @antispleen video matche great with the imp also having the FJ software loaded makes it even more intriguing .
Loving that cut trough photo,great simplicity of design and yet looks so highly functional .
Are you planning on doing calibration on the software for each set to match the temps close to reality like FJ does ? Many people arent getting that this is one of the most essential parts of the production and it takes extra time and dedication.
Thanks glad you like em.
When we do a set up the temp will be close to actual. I find that if you get good vapor and dark brown abv at a setting of 410 F it is pretty close to accurate. I do have several thermocouples to measure with

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Really like the imp a lot. The imp is like an upgraded stempod. My stempod has not been getting much use since the little guy arrived.

I have the original verion with the tapered stems and wood body.

Is it worth upgrading to the new imp? The new stems look very cool, and i can see the advantage of a flush base and body. Anyone got both?

Knew i should have waited a little bit, before jumping on board. Damn VAS

VelocityREST

Good evening

I have purchased the imp along a small mod (p80). So far I'm having a mixed experience, it's either not hot enough (pulling for 10 sec then get almost zero vape) or pushing it too hard and combusting. Keep in mind I'm using the wattage mode.

The mod I use have temp control, could someone help with the recommended setting?
Does the temp control helps eliminating the glowing coils?

Edit: Is the coil made of Ti, SS, or Ni?

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Enable TC mode. You should be able to select TCR (or M1, M2...) for the coil material and input a value of around 180 (or 0.00180 or the like depending on mod, unsure about the number of zeros out of my head)

SS profile might work but it didn't for me (contrary to the iHeat)

Your coils should be barely glowing if at all. If they are maybe your Watts are too high. I was able to get vapor starting at 12W in power mode.

The way you draw is very important. Try lowering the power and drawing slower for instance.

Anyway TC mode is a must, I wouldn't use my Imp in power mode again.

Sativapo

The mistvape Tubo settings worked for me with some resistance tuning but also the AF PID settings @KeroZen gave a few pages back with unlocked resistance. The evic primo mini that doesn't take tubo is my go to right now.

@Improvize I'm surprised you say that moving the resistance doesn't do much because at first instead of tuning with 0.002 steps I did it with 0.01 and there were (too) big changes like 20°C.

Light glowing at around 230°C is for me an indicator of a good setting. So I stay a bit under except when I'm in "flirting with combustion to get my last sleepy hit" mood.

Last edited:

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
Played around with the Tubo firmware on an Evic Vtwo Mini a bit, following the instructions by MistVape. Measured resistance was 0.166, so I went down to 0.156, but had go up to 0.161 again, to produce some vape. Hadn't time and bravery to try TCR, something completely new for me, but I liked the Imp better on the DNA250c in watt mode, cycling up watts, than in the Tubo mode on the Vtwo Mini. Gave me faster and more constant vapor, with an more even extraction.

Have to give the TCR mode a try as fast as possible :)

e:
Fuck, this box mod stuff starts to make fun, whish once more I had more time.

The TCR mode from Tubo firmware together with the Imp works like a charm. It's perfect for (even quite huge) hits through glass on demand. Set temperature, do a double klick, TCR starts, wait for some seconds, draw and BAAAAAM!

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Your resistance looks way too small to me. I suspect you might have a partial short. With SS the coil windings are not allowed to touch (contrary to say nichrome or some other alloys)

Check visually if you don't have part of one coil that is glowing more than the rest. I used some toothpick to gently space apart my windings. Strumming the coils also can help.

I might be wrong but I think you should be closer to the 0.22 many of us seem to have.

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
Your resistance looks way too small to me. I suspect you might have a partial short. With SS the coil windings are not allowed to touch (contrary to say nichrome or some other alloys)

Check visually if you don't have part of one coil that is glowing more than the rest. I used some toothpick to gently space apart my windings. Strumming the coils also can help.

I might be wrong but I think you should be closer to the 0.22 many of us seem to have.

You were absolutely right, thanks a lot. But had to take a loupe, presbyopia is dropping in here :(

On two spots windings were touching, so I followed your instructions and spaced them apart with a toothpick. Now the evic as the Paranormal show 0.22Ω

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Ed is making mouthpieces for the new stems
A9-B58882-0-A34-4-B92-B63-D-DFDD70-E0-D4-D0.jpg

B5393782-8-E71-4-BE9-9928-94-A37736-FC62.jpg

Check with Ed for details. B I'm sure he can do any wood you like

DeezVaprz

Ooooo, I'm REALLY digging that look! Been a busy few weeks, but I've had the new and improved body and stem, and I must say WOW, this thing is nuts. Followup to my initial thoughts coming soon but overall, yeah, I love this thing.

Improvaper

Alright, I think I've finally settled in on my EDC.

The Argo stems hold the Fury 2 dosing capsules so tightly that tweezers are needed for removal. However, they fit perfectly in the mouth end. So I just flipped the stem around and put a little high heat silicone wrap on to help the seal. The glass lip of the Argo stems actually makes a perfectly usable connection on its own, but it can wobble a bit in the taper of the old Imp body without the reinforcement of silicone.

I can also use 14/10 stems with the dosing capsules, but there's too much room then, and the capsule rattles around a little. It actually doesn't affect performance terribly, but it's an annoyance to me and it can get wedged in there awkwardly making removal difficult. I love how the Argo stem holds caps just right against the heater (I haven't removed the Imp screen) and facilitates handling it. It's easy to cool a capsule down quickly by pulling the stem and drawing air through it. The metal of the capsule seems to offer a little residual heat that's worth planning for when drawing.

So this setup affords me 40-50 quick, quality hits without having to fumble around with much of anything... plenty for on the go. And more importantly, I can get a quality rip every time from a cold start. I define "quality" as a toke that expands a bit in the lungs as you hold it and feels like it wasn't a waste of your time when you're done. I generally will do 2 hits like that per "session" and this setup is flawless for that sort of usage. I'll get 8-10 hits per bowl ranging from 350~400°. Flavor is as good as any other method I've tried through the duration of a bowl. No glowing. Life is good!

20190312-011336-01.jpg

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Is there any chance you could stock a few of these mouthpieces so we could buy once (from you) with one (international) shipping charge?
If someone wants one of Ed's mouthpieces and they are getting something else from me we can work it out. Ed could ship to me and I'll include it in your order.
I don't want to stock them since there are wood choices and other possible complications

Hey, installed the Imp on the vTwo Dave setup for me. I took a few draws and didn’t get any vapor. What would you guys recommend for the Tubo firmware? Up the resistance? I was really pumped to try it out last night. I have a few other mods but I didn’t try it out with it with those. Want to stick to the vTwo Mini. I installed sur_myevic on a Reuleaux RX Gen3 Dual I bought just to play around with its the settings. So I am getting familiar with this stuff.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Hey, installed the Imp on the vTwo Dave setup for me. I took a few draws and didn’t get any vapor. What would you guys recommend for the Tubo firmware? Up the resistance? I was really pumped to try it out last night. I have a few other mods but I didn’t try it out with it with those. Want to stick to the vTwo Mini. I installed sur_myevic on a Reuleaux RX Gen3 Dual I bought just to play around with its the settings. So I am getting familiar with this stuff.
With the original stem one or two hits to heat sink the system. Then adjust draw speed, slow draw for more vape. Then start upping the resistance .002 at a time

Improvaper

I just tried an interesting modification and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it...

I'm trying to make the 510/stem systems I have more reliable for my wife. She admittedly does not get nearly the practice I do, but she usually picks up even tricky vapes like the StickyBrick Flip before long. She's really struggled with the Imp. She has more success with the StemPod, as in faster more consistent clouds and less combustion. Her draw control is not very good, but she finds it easier to control with the wide open StemPod. She is also good with the DBV which has similarly open draw.

I very subtly widened the air intakes on my Imp just now. Literally just wedged in the long thin pin that comes with 7th Floor vapes, and it wasn't too hard to push through so I didn't take it much wider. But I notice a difference in sound and draw immediately. Much easier to initiate a hit (I'm on the old stem system, remember) without nearly so much priming. The lady is asleep at this point so the verdict with her will have to wait.

When I first got the StemPod, I had its airflow clamped down like the Imp's figuring it was working for me well enough over there, but we both had inconsistent results and slow lights. Once I got used to a wide open airflow on the StemPod and controlling it ALL with my lungs, I've had zero issues.

The Imp with old stems admittedly take a little longer than the StemPod to get revved up, but it seems faster and more capable of sustained high heat hits even with this small modification. I might go a little wider at some point.

Just found it interesting. Have you experimented much with the intake size, @mistvaporizer ?

edit: Just went a tiny bit wider by wiggling the pin in the holes a bit. Even better. Hmmm...

Last edited:

oldegregg

New Imp owner here, I have a Sinuous P80 running sur_myevic. Is there a post with some good starter settings? Trying to run tcr mode but not sure what to set resistance, m1, m2, m3, or tcr at. Can i use the settings from the imp page for the tubo firmware?

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
I just tried an interesting modification and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it...

I'm trying to make the 510/stem systems I have more reliable for my wife. She admittedly does not get nearly the practice I do, but she usually picks up even tricky vapes like the StickyBrick Flip before long. She's really struggled with the Imp. She has more success with the StemPod, as in faster more consistent clouds and less combustion. Her draw control is not very good, but she finds it easier to control with the wide open StemPod. She is also good with the DBV which has similarly open draw.

I very subtly widened the air intakes on my Imp just now. Literally just wedged in the long thin pin that comes with 7th Floor vapes, and it wasn't too hard to push through so I didn't take it much wider. But I notice a difference in sound and draw immediately. Much easier to initiate a hit (I'm on the old stem system, remember) without nearly so much priming. The lady is asleep at this point so the verdict with her will have to wait.

When I first got the StemPod, I had its airflow clamped down like the Imp's figuring it was working for me well enough over there, but we both had inconsistent results and slow lights. Once I got used to a wide open airflow on the StemPod and controlling it ALL with my lungs, I've had zero issues.

The Imp with old stems admittedly take a little longer than the StemPod to get revved up, but it seems faster and more capable of sustained high heat hits even with this small modification. I might go a little wider at some point.

Just found it interesting. Have you experimented much with the intake size, @mistvaporizer ?

edit: Just went a tiny bit wider by wiggling the pin in the holes a bit. Even better. Hmmm...
Yes interesting point. Initially i sent out to units for testing one with standard inlets (0.062") and one with larger inlets (0.078"). Got mixed results so stuck with the smaller one. Too much airflow can overwhelm the heater.
Revisited this a few times and finally settled on the larger inlet. All models now use the larger inlet holes.

Improvaper

Yes interesting point. Initially i sent out to units for testing one with standard inlets (0.062") and one with larger inlets (0.078"). Got mixed results so stuck with the smaller one. Too much airflow can overwhelm the heater.
Revisited this a few times and finally settled on the larger inlet. All models now use the larger inlet holes.

So all original body Imps are small holes?

One other thing I'd noticed when testing the airflow is that the two holes weren't even... One was wider and "louder". Widening them both evened things up and my abv is more even now.

Top Bottom