Holding your draw (toke)

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Does it really matter how long you hold your draw? Seems to me no matter how long I hold down a hit I always get a similar amount of vapor exhaled. I have heard conflicting things too ... one school of thought is that vapor is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and holding your toke is an urban myth. Another school of thought is completely the opposite in that vapor takes longer to be absorbed so hold it in for as long as possible.

For sure when you smoke and hold in a toke for ages you blow out less visible smoke. Shit do a bucket bong with a huge cone ... and done properly you'll blow out next to no smoke. But where the fuck did it go?! Not good for the respiratory system IMO.

He's what I reckon ... if you draw slowly a fair amount of vapor will be sitting in your lungs for an extended time during the draw. I certainly take a lot longer to take a single draw than when you trying to clear a one hitter bong. With the PD I suck slowly and keep going until I cannot draw any longer. So a lot of the vapor has been sitting in my lungs for 10 or more seconds already. And because I've taken a long slow draw I cannot hold it in for too much longer or I will affixiate myself :lol:

vaporcloud,
Reactions: Vessel

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
personally, ive always held for at least 15 secs even with smoke, i dont believe tht all the thc is absorbed that fast

one of the better methods ive seen, take 3/4 lungfull of vapor, hold, when you feel you cant hold anymore, inhale as much fresh air as you can, hold, blow out half your lung capacity, inhale fresh air hold... repeat as many times as you feel like doin it before taking another hit, that way you maximise the amount you absorb

also ive heard that if you exhale slowly through the nose a little can get absorbed that way

hyperventilating beforehand a little helps you hold longer, just breathe quickly and deeply for about 30 secs before you take your hit and you can hold it easily about 45 secs

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
afaik the longer you hold a vapor (or smoke hit) hit, the more thc etc is absorbed into your bloodstream. Thought this was widely agreed upon. :huh:

Take my hit and hold it, just like Chong. :)

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Acolyte of Zinglon said:
one of the better methods ive seen, take 3/4 lungfull of vapor, hold, when you feel you cant hold anymore, inhale as much fresh air as you can, hold, blow out half your lung capacity, inhale fresh air hold... repeat as many times as you feel like doin it before taking another hit, that way you maximise the amount you absorb
Yep thats pretty much what I do. Replace 3/4 lungfill to a full lung full and then blow some out, inhale and exhale a few times. Damn now I'm looking forward tonights session :lol:

vaporcloud,

Purple-Days

My buddy Billy used to take the biggest rips ever (smoke) and try to hold as long as possible. He would cough and hack like mad. At some point Pam read that 5 seconds was enough , that holding longer just absorbed more 'tar'. The greatest portion of nicotine/THC were readily absorbed in that first 5 seconds. Diminishing returns from any longer hold with serious increases in bad stuff in the lungs. This 5 second rule seemed to help Billy a lot, believe me if he wasn't getting as 'high' he would have been back on the 'hold forever' road.

'Thought this was widely agreed upon.' Apparently not. Wish I could find the article, it was a serious piece of work, not some forum posters opinion. Of course it was dealing with Smoke, but the absorbtion rate would be the same for smoke or vapor, (same active ingredients)

Agreed, the slow draw speed means lots of the vapor has been in there a while.

Yep AZ, a half blow and re-supply of air was a strategy I used when smoking that super expensive stuff. Trying to get every last penny worth. :lol:

Purple-Days,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I think this topic needs some R&D. I read somewhere that a guy was exhaling his vapor hits into a bag and his buddies were hitting it and getting high. Maybe the ultimate miser move is to take a whip hit and blow it back into a bag and then hit it over and over again until it there is no more visible vapor. Which begs the question...when is the vapor all gone? An early post on this site had someone saying that there is vapor in there even if it is not visible. Made sense to me...the desire for visible vapor is somewhat linked to smoking and always seeing my hit after exhaling. So I tried it one night and just kept sucking on that whip with the same bowl in it all night. It got very brown and got me pretty rocked. I haven't tried it again since.

Another thing...I had a friend who was a Navy SEAL diver. He taught me that when holding your breath, the body wants to exhale long before it needs more oxygen. So we would hold our breath under the water and instead of coming to the surface when it hurt, we just exhaled a little to relieve the pain. You can keep exhaling little amounts and hold your breath longer. I have been doing this with my hits when holding them in. I take a big hit and then hold it til I can't...then exhale just a little bit and take a little air in. I'll do this three or four times before blowing it all out. It does seem to remove some of the visible vapor on the way out, which is good.

It would seem to me that the most efficient way to go is to inhale about half of your lung capacity and hold it for a longer time with little extra breaths and exhales until a full exhale. I had been taking a full hit and holding, but I will move away from that for a few nights to see if there is a more efficient way to hit.

The problem, however, is all of this tends to take away (for me) from the joy of just hitting it and getting ripped. I'm trying to get wasted here, not do a fucking science project!

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
From the little research I've seen (and I tend to agree), THC gets absorbed a lot faster from smoke vs. vapor. I've seen numbers like 95% absorbed right away from smoke, while a quick exhale of vapor loses 30-40%. And since vapor is much kinder to the lungs than smoke, I tend to hold vapor hits longer than I did when smoking. And I'll do the partial exhale too, especially with the better quality herb.

I suspect it'll take quite some time before solid research is done, since potential profit tends to drive research studies, and $ for studying absorption rates of an illegal substance is hard to come by when there's no profit for anyone.

max,

jx80

Does anyone have an idea how long vapor would last in a bag, if you sealed off both ends?

jx80,

max

Out to lunch
Well, it starts to condense/dissipate right away. There's still good vapor an hour later, but you've lost a good percentage too. I would plan on using the vapor within 5-10 min to avoid significant loss.

max,

Skuzzer

Purple-Days said:
At some point Pam read that 5 seconds was enough , that holding longer just absorbed more 'tar'. The greatest portion of nicotine/THC were readily absorbed in that first 5 seconds. Diminishing returns from any longer hold with serious increases in bad stuff in the lungs.
Where I am if you're caught with a small amount of weed instead of getting a criminal conviction for possession of an illicit substance you can get a warning and go to an education session on marijuana. I've not been caught so I haven't been but a good friend of mine had to go and said it was actually really good, informative stuff not the usual "drugs will kill you" talk.
It was more aimed at people they knew were probably going to keep on smoking, so they'd try and teach them the health risks and things they could do to minimise harm. I clearly recall him telling me they were told not to hold it in, the first few seconds is when you absorb the most thc.

This of course was about smoking, no idea if it sticks with vaporisation - I'd imagine probably not, if you're breathing out a lot of vapour you're probably breathing out a lot of the good stuff too...but who knows.

Skuzzer,

jx80

Well, it starts to condense/dissipate right away. There's still good vapor an hour later, but you've lost a good percentage too. I would plan on using the vapor within 5-10 min to avoid significant loss.
Ok, I was just thinking I could fill a couple bags up and take them with me for later. It could be cool if it worked but I guess it would just be a waste.

jx80,

tokinGLX

take them where in the car

if so, you should open yourself to the possibility of buying a power inverter(or is it a converter, i can never remember) so you can plug it into your cigarette lighter/12v outlet in your car.

then you just fire up your vape and toke as normal.

tokinGLX,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
tokinGLX said:
if so, you should open yourself to the possibility of buying a power inverter(or is it a converter, i can never remember) so you can plug it into your cigarette lighter/12v outlet in your car.

Or just get a PD instead (already 12v with a car plug provided) :D

Purple-Days said:
Pam read that 5 seconds was enough , that holding longer just absorbed more 'tar'. The greatest portion of nicotine/THC were readily absorbed in that first 5 seconds. Diminishing returns from any longer hold with serious increases in bad stuff in the lungs.
Yup thats what I have heard as well. Makes sense too.

vaporcloud,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
For sure it's not healthy to hold smoke in your lungs especially for extended periods. All those toxins in the mix. With vapor though, ideally it's all good stuff, so even if there are diminishing returns, longer hold = more absorbed.

Hitting small bows using a certain vaporizer, I can definitely see the difference in exhaled vapor depending on how long I hold it in. From thick to near nothing.

Also wonder how much differently tar coated lungs absorb vapor.

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
well, the vapor isnt really pure thc, youre still inhaling many inactive components, especially the resin.

the resin isnt made of pure cannabinoids, and you could still be coating your lungs with something, albeit your lungs have a much easier time handling it than they do smoke, but i doubt vaporization is completely heathy to your lungs, as your lungs arent meant to absorb vapor, theyre made to absorb oxygen, vaporization may be the holy grail for health compared to smoking, but i wouldnt completely shrug off heath concerns, even though any concerns there are are most likely so miniscule that they wouldnt really be a factor at all to a normal, healthy person

Acolyte of Zinglon,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I was walking past a smoker the other day and caught a wiff of the second hand smoke. Fuck it made me gag and sort of cut of my oxygen supply. It was like a reflex closing of the air pathway.

Glad I'm around for the vapor revolution. :brow:

vaporcloud,

DigitalDavinci

Vapohaulic
I know vaporcloud...I quit smoking cigs 2 years ago, and now I can even stay in the same area of smokers. There is a building with a smoking section accross the street from work. I won't even go out the door because the stench is overwhelming from across the street. Yuck. I can't believe I use to think those cancer sticks were so important at one point in my life.

DigitalDavinci,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
It's always been my understanding that you get all the THC in the first 5 seconds, so holding your breath any longer does no good really.

Vicki,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
ya, but what were arguing is because that study was done with smoking, and its not like 5 seconds and all the thc suddenly floats to the side of the bronchi, its just diminishing returns because after 5 seconds youre trapping more smoke than thc

with vapoizing we dont have to worry about the tars and shit that smokers havet to worry about, so by holding our draws thee is still a diminishing return effect, but there isnt any smoke to stick to the sides of our lungs.
visible exhales, while aesthetically pleasing and reminicent of a big bong load, are still most likely laden with active components that werent absorbed in our lungs, so holding it longer can get more of the active components out without the tars of smoking sticking in our lungs

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
So, because it's vapor we can hold it in until we turn blue, and never cause any lung damage? :)

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Acolyte of Zinglon said:
pretty much :D
I do try to hold it in as long as possible, but I always cough when I get a really thick milky vapor hit. Even more so with kief hits. I'm sure that has to do with the fact that I used to smoke cigarettes, though. :(

Vicki,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
thc expands in the lungs, so its not necessarily bad to ko on a vape, but you could take less full hits, like 2/3-3/4 of your lungs capacity to give it room to expand

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Acolyte of Zinglon said:
thc expands in the lungs, so its not necessarily bad to ko on a vape, but you could take less full hits, like 2/3-3/4 of your lungs capacity to give it room to expand
I have tried to start to take smaller draws, and that does seem to work. :)

Vicki,

Spiderman

oil baron
Absolutely, puffin "vapor" type stuff i always try to absorb a lot more. Although people argue as to the quality of it, the reclaim'd resin from these vaporizers is clean, and vaporizes without a trace. That alone is enough to show that the vapor you're blowing out really is wasted....it was still pure enough to vape up cleanly.

Even smoking hash, its worth holding for an increased amount of time. As far as smoking plant matter hits though.......at most, you're smoking we'll say 20% THC by weight.......why bother tryin to absorb that shit into your lungs?

Spiderman,
Top Bottom