Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
There are some emails there. Trust me, I've done the digging, and the information on those pages is all anyone should need. The instagram pages are their latest accounts that have not been deleted, as far as I saw, and their email addresses (possibly dumped) are at their github pages (Liz's was missing above):

https://github.com/AvaMariePPD

https://github.com/ccamporeale

There is plenty of info to find other accounts, but the email addresses and instagram accounts is as far as you need to go.

Edit: Yea, that is a lot of glue. These internals are not at all what I was expecting; looks like a proof of concept.

Edit 2: Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/ZNi7KVa

This is the board in mine:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...nt-board-beyond-Raspberry-Pi/32761500374.html

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepizero/

Orange Pi Zero H2 512MB

When I'm certain I can rehouse this without breaking it, I'll get to work.

Wow, those are some pretty hideous looking innards. Never would I expect to see that when opening up a $300 controller.

Slagzord

Don't fuckle with shuckle
It isn't often I praise a financial set back in my life, but in this case the timing stopped a lot of headaches regarding a product I wanted against my brain screaming 'uh-oh'.

That said, I guess August and MaxVapor will kinda take the spotlight for the higher end round these parts without the HN series. Both the businesses seemed established previously and more able to sustain such a seemingly needy product (in terms of app support and technojunk).

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
If I'd have one I'd open it for sure to check the connections and touchings of components just for security's sake. A fine warning example for aspiring electricians. This processing is nearly a crime. In my crazy German eyes at least.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Just to compare, MaxVapor just posted an image of a near finished board: https://m.imgur.com/a/fOr5ygT

The difference is startling. Guess that’s what you get after multiple generations. Wish we could have seen HN reach that level of refinement.

Very similar to the Errlectric range of enails!
They also manufacture their own boards in-house and place and solder them.
So much safer than a bunch of different parts to try and reach an end goal.

This is well thought out and leaps ahead!

PoopMachine

This isnt an AugustHaus thread so Im going to keep this brief.

His paperwork says he has sold somewhere between 500-600 unitTs.

I know he just scaled up to handle more production due to demand.

He just hired a customer service rep.

His customer service is off the hook and hes a nice guy. Ive talked to him on the phone a few times and he seems like a good guy.

For some Hexnail content, I have an image of my old unit. Sadly knowing now they were all built with a hodgepod of parts, I would be afraid to tell somebody else to use it.

Anyone wants to try to brute force the root password, I dont remember exactly what it was but its the word hexnail with a couple of number substitions and maybe an exclamation point somewhere. Ill have to go back through text messages and see if I still have it.

Elemen0py

This was a production unit?!? That went to a paying customer?!?

Oh my good lord.

There's something almost poetic in how metaphorically those images represent the saga that was Hex-Nail; all the pieces are there, but they lack the fundamental adhesion and direction to achieve their potential. Sure, it'll work for a while... but when you're flying on wings of feather and wax, you can only soar so high before it falls apart and someone gets burned.

JigMelon

Yea it's pretty disappointing to see that in my $300 unit. A MaxVapor device is definitely in my future. AH isn't seeing any cash from me until they open source everything.

@PoopMachine If you find out that password please let me know. Regardless, assuming this is running linux, and taking their inexperience into account, we can likely put it in single user mode and reset the root password no problem; no brute-forcing necessary. I set up my other controllers (a homemade mypin and a mini mypin) before going to bed so I guess after work tonight I'm gonna try to take apart the hex... Hopefully I don't bust it; I don't have precision soldering tools.

Considering how these were assembled, it's pretty clear why repairs took so long; they likely ended up breaking the units when removing and ultimately needed to replace them after reassembling the IC. What a joke. I hope when/if Liz uploads her code somewhere that it isn't a similar mess to Ava's manufacturing work.

The deception throughout this company's lifespan is absurd.

JigMelon

Right now i'm just trying to get the glue loose so I can get the board out of the box. Might not need to disassemble anything, but we'll see.

There was literally a loose screw sitting in my case. I have 5 identical screws for a unit with 4 holes deep enough for the screw. This hole thing is not very safe, or serviceable, and likely not legal in the States. Anyone else open theirs?

Edit: Yup, was able to get the SD card out without disassembly. This is good news in regard to mods.

Last edited:

SilentJ

Right now i'm just trying to get the glue loose so I can get the board out of the box. Might not need to disassemble anything, but we'll see.

There was literally a loose screw sitting in my case. I have 5 identical screws for a unit with 4 holes deep enough for the screw. This hole thing is not very safe, or serviceable, and likely not legal in the States. Anyone else open theirs?

Edit: Yup, was able to get the SD card out without disassembly. This is good news in regard to mods.

That’s a bit scary to think that these were most likely not built to meet the appropriate safety regulations. How were they able to sell without meeting those though? Makes me feel like I definitely dodged a bullet not getting one as sad as that is. They were beautiful pieces of equipment but I wouldn’t want something that could potentially start a fire in my home.

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Why is all of this "surprising" to anyone....seriously? They were called out on ALL OF THIS so long ago, very poor internal builds, very different internals across "same" models, total lack of UL, CE or any true oversight of any type whatsoever and Ill still go on record as saying they prolly owe hella taxes, Ill also restate that I feel this is the case with several companies in this market, so in the future this should not come as a surprise to anyone who actually bothers to read the messages posted on the message board (which i know for a fact by looking at the posts made, is a pretty rare thing)........wonder where all the apologists for them went?

All these stunned posts/beating the dead horse that is apparently ALL Avas (yeah....for sure) fault, and stroking Mr Vapor, arnt really doing anyone any good....except maybe Mr Vapor....and please note Im not in any way shading him/them other then this isn't their thread and the industrial design doesn't hold a candle to either of the Hexs, Ive shown interest in the product but to start to fill up a thread that was full of hype that ended poorly, with yet more hype for a different product (that I think is still not even shipping at this point still), seems pointless.

Im all but certain there are a few more surprises (IMO they are not going to bode well for Hex customers.....but maybe will be great for different nail forthcoming......do not be surprised when this happens) to be had from the now backed out "owners", and in that vein, again, where is the 2.1 that was supposedly online this past monday?

Shooby

4ShOObY3 - IG
Why is all of this "surprising" to anyone....seriously? They were called out on ALL OF THIS so long ago, very poor internal builds, very different internals across "same" models, total lack of UL, CE or any true oversight of any type whatsoever and Ill still go on record as saying they prolly owe hella taxes, Ill also restate that I feel this is the case with several companies in this market, so in the future this should not come as a surprise to anyone who actually bothers to read the messages posted on the message board (which i know for a fact by looking at the posts made, is a pretty rare thing)........wonder where all the apologists for them went?

All these stunned posts/beating the dead horse that is apparently ALL Avas (yeah....for sure) fault, and stroking Mr Vapor, arnt really doing anyone any good....except maybe Mr Vapor....and please note Im not in any way shading him/them other then this isn't their thread and the industrial design doesn't hold a candle to either of the Hexs, Ive shown interest in the product but to start to fill up a thread that was full of hype that ended poorly, with yet more hype for a different product (that I think is still not even shipping at this point still), seems pointless.

Im all but certain there are a few more surprises (IMO they are not going to bode well for Hex customers.....but maybe will be great for different nail forthcoming......do not be surprised when this happens) to be had from the now backed out "owners", and in that vein, again, where is the 2.1 that was supposedly online this past monday?

Well said..

So sad tho.

alrunnin

I think it’s time to donate the RQ to the fire pit along with the herbalizer.. Both have failed and are no longer in business, all within a month of each other..

alrunnin,

buddingglasshead

I think it’s time to donate the RQ to the fire pit along with the herbalizer.. Both have failed and are no longer in business, all within a month of each other..

Uhhh, could I pay for shipping for it? I don't know if I could get it working but the very least I may be able to salvage the SD card to make an image of it. This should allow those who are willing to replace the components an OS.

I'd much rather experiment on a broken one than trying to figure it out on my "working" one. I say working because I'm afraid to change the AP info as when I initially set it up I had to go through quite a convuluted method to get it working again.

Or better yet another member who actually has coding experience and a working unit.

There are MAX 80 RQ out in the wild (1 round of 30 ,1 of ~50) We also know there are actually less than that as there are a few who never even received their round 2.

I know we're all pissed, but I'm sure if we can work together, but we can at least keep them running in their current state at least until the server shuts down and whatever your last setting is its permanent setting.

Peter Nincompoop