Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
An all you current customers with open claims should contact TR for a refund. Maybe there is another law in the US. But when they "bought" HN they also bought their obligations and have to stand for it if they can't contest the contract and do so. You rights and claims regard to the company not to Liz&Ava.

Hogni,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
i'm really surprised at the lack of negative sentiment being directed towards the old hexnail owners vs how much CCA was getting... hexnail dropped the ball MUCH worse

Ironically it was almost exclusively Liger owners on here that bought a Hex Nail.

I feel bad for everyone who ended up with bricked units, though to me the writing was on the wall when they released a PID controller with no screen. All the smart features in the world couldn't make up for that most basic one.

Hogni

That was just caused by the high demand for all that "i" schnick-schnack IMHO

Ironically? I don't know. I think all those great devices came up at the same time. And all high end performance afficionados wanted the best setup so it's just logically to buy these two devices I think.

Hogni,

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
though to me the writing was on the wall when they released a PID controller with no screen. All the smart features in the world couldn't make up for that most basic one.

(glances over at Kube)

So then we should be worried about August also now?

Not really following you're logic at all, Id easily put a Red Queen with a functional AP mode up against ANY other enail controller and while it wouldn't top them in temp stability (until the built in 10 second delay is dealt with...but since its a known, repeatable condition...it can be factored out) it will smoke just about everything in functionality, size, and certainly aesthetics....hands down.

The "writing on the wall" was the numerous missed commitments, communications blackouts, endless inane excuses and several flat out lies......just as it should be with anyone or any company you'd deal with.

Having reiterated that advice, yet again.....

Dnail is really starting to worry me, they have gone from IMO, one of if not the most reputable name in the game to acting like most other slack ass companies......the only thing thats come out of them recently is a few random rumors that people supposedly heard but no official posts or updates of any kind I can see. This happening after they "launched" the Beta units has me especially worried as they sold very well and should have given them an influx of $$.

And bringing this rant back to topic......Seriously, anyone have any info on the sw update that "should" be in the wild now?

Hollabackatcha

An all you current customers with open claims should contact TR for a refund. Maybe there is another law in the US. But when they "bought" HN they also bought their obligations and have to stand for it if they can't contest the contract and do so. You rights and claims regard to the company not to Liz&Ava.

If you read the post on IG it sounds like TR never finalized the deal and backed out when they found out about large previously undisclosed debt.

alrunnin

Sounds like RT jumped the gun without doing any research. Maybe they should of done a go fund me page..

alrunnin,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
with a functional AP mode

lol

So then we should be worried about August also now?

I wouldn't buy one because it doesn't have a screen. To me that's annoying, but clearly you don't mind since you have purchased multiple PIDs without screens. But I've also seen you complain about your HN not working a lot though... that's gotta be frustrating when all these $80 China PIDs have literally outlived the Hex Nail brand. And that's not a diss, just the truth.

The "writing on the wall" was the numerous missed commitments, communications blackouts, endless inane excuses and several flat out lies......just as it should be with anyone or any company you'd deal with.

That sounds reasonable but at the end of the day, look how many pissed off members here still preordered a Liger Air :D

710Coils

Manufacturer
@JigMelon I have not spoken to either of them in some time and doubt I will be talking to either of them ever again. They really screwed a lot of people over (Including me) and have no intentions of doing anything to correct this. I ended up losing one of my touch screen units and a new 02 unit to this fiasco and my other touch screen is only working if used through a web-page as the touchscreen is out of sync (Again)

I think it will be hard to create a stable update due to the fact that all units are a hodge podge of parts from different vendors and ranging quality. On top of that you add the odd way they built the units (Why so much hot gun glue and tape) I doubt you could do anything that would not end up bricking a portion of the units out there. I have already started looking elsewhere for a new controller and ordered a Kube Classic while I continue my hunt.

Liz and Ava will most likely never see any of the posts here as they are no longer together. That being said, I am not sure if we will ever see the code go open source as it is dependent on Liz to allow this =/

SilentJ

I have zero expectations Ava will ever post on here ever again, which bums me out.

Everybody should assume that open sourcing is never going to happen, unfortunately.

As for the MaxVapor - the Kube One is the clear successor to the HexNail imo.

Curious why you're saying that. From what I see, the MaxVapor 2018 is supporting Wifi/BT with much of the same features the HN was supposed to feature. I agree the aesthetics are nicer with the KubeOne, but that appears to be the main thing the KubeOne has going for it.

JigMelon

@710Coils Wow that's a surprise, sorry about that. How'd you lose the unit? Were all 3 units that you paid for? Regarding the difference in components I had no idea... I haven't opened mine up yet or seen any others. I guess I should take mine apart and get to work on making it work independent from their domain without documentation. Do you have any way to contact Liz other than the hex-nail.com email address? If so please PM me; I'd like to reach out to her.

MaxVapor intends to open source everything once they feel it is fully stable. Extremely interesting. Definitely the ideal replacement IMO instead of a Kube. Feels pretty shitty, though, to have paid $300 for something that's deprecated in less than year and now consider yet another $300 controller...

Hogni

I was so tempted to order a customized HN-01 the last months and am so happy I haven't do so.
I'm so sorry for all the guys with the wrong timing. Hope for you all there is a way to get your money back.
With the separation of Ava&Liz all hopes for a new start are died I guess.

Hogni

No activities on linkedin the last year.
Last activity of Pink Parasol on Instagram 10/16. Seems to be the time before HexNail.
But perhaps worth to watch activities?

Hogni,
Reactions: Gn0sis

Justpassedu

I should have took that memory card backup for my HN-01 ages ago when they offered. I did not bc I had trusted that if something may go wrong they would take care of me. My unit works , I am just afraid to turn it on now. @Hogni how do you know they separated ? or do you mean separated from the company ? Lol

Justpassedu,
Reactions: Hogni

710Coils

Manufacturer
@JigMelon I do not have anyway of contacting Liz or Ava as they have broken up and both have moved away.
I think the fact that there is no common to wiring or components. That this was part of the delay with releasing patches, since it would mess up some units. While others worked fine. Both of my touchscreen units started having issues several months ago and I had sent one in to be repaired. I had also ordered one of the round 2 units and never got it. So I am out both those units. I am taking this all as a valuable lesson learned and will temper my compulsive excitement to better match the product and the company running it.

JigMelon

That's really unfortunate @710Coils and I'll be treading carefully as well.

Quick heads up everyone, lets not start a crazy which hunt and post all their social info here. I think what's linked above is more than enough for people to reach out and try to get in contact. If you keep looking for them, there is some very personal information and other content about them that you may find, which is not relevant to HexNail at all, that you may want to steer clear from. No judgments. I know we're upset with them, but there are some things we should respect. I'll leave it at that.

Hogni

But none of the called links is active (anymore) for getting in contact it seems. I've checked them all.

Hogni,

JigMelon

There are some emails there. Trust me, I've done the digging, and the information on those pages is all anyone should need. The instagram pages are their latest accounts that have not been deleted, as far as I saw, and their email addresses (possibly dumped) are at their github pages (Liz's was missing above):

https://github.com/AvaMariePPD

https://github.com/ccamporeale

There is plenty of info to find other accounts, but the email addresses and instagram accounts is as far as you need to go.

Edit: Yea, that is a lot of glue. These internals are not at all what I was expecting; looks like a proof of concept.

Edit 2: Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/ZNi7KVa

This is the board in mine:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...nt-board-beyond-Raspberry-Pi/32761500374.html

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepizero/

Orange Pi Zero H2 512MB

When I'm certain I can rehouse this without breaking it, I'll get to work.

Last edited:

Square4Life

There are some emails there. Trust me, I've done the digging, and the information on those pages is all anyone should need. The instagram pages are their latest accounts that have not been deleted, as far as I saw, and their email addresses (possibly dumped) are at their github pages (Liz's was missing above):

https://github.com/AvaMariePPD

https://github.com/ccamporeale

There is plenty of info to find other accounts, but the email addresses and instagram accounts is as far as you need to go.

Edit: Yea, that is a lot of glue. These internals are not at all what I was expecting; looks like a proof of concept.

Edit 2: Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/ZNi7KVa

This is the board in mine:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...nt-board-beyond-Raspberry-Pi/32761500374.html

http://www.orangepi.org/orangepizero/

Orange Pi Zero H2 512MB

When I'm certain I can rehouse this without breaking it, I'll get to work.
Holy hell...I, in no way, EVER expected the guts of this $300 unit to look like that. Well, tbh, it doesn't even need to be a $300 unit to be built better than that.

I have a HN-02 that has never been powered on as I was waiting on AP mode to be unlocked...not really sure what to do with it now. This whole situation really bites.

It's just a good reminder...a warranty/promise is only as good as the people/company that back it. I can't tell ya how many times I've seen the 'we're not going anywhere, no need to worry"...only for that very product to be discarded shortly thereafter.

brucee10

Holy hell...I, in no way, EVER expected the guts of this $300 unit to look like that. Well, tbh, it doesn't even need to be a $300 unit to be built better than that.

I have a HN-02 that has never been powered on as I was waiting on AP mode to be unlocked...not really sure what to do with it now. This whole situation really bites.

It's just a good reminder...a warranty/promise is only as good as the people/company that back it. I can't tell ya how many times I've seen the 'we're not going anywhere, no need to worry"...only for that very product to be discarded shortly thereafter.

It looks like they just used hot glue instead of heat shrink for the electronics. And hold the case together. And mount components. I could probably disassemble mine into a cleaner assembly, but without the code it will never be more than what it is now.

Top Bottom