Hex-Nail (HN-01) - RIP

PoopMachine

I didnt have any issues from my unit but I expected features that were never delivered. I wanted the mobile app. I wanted to dose tracking function. I wanted all the numerous nail tunings we were promised and never got.

Basically, I sold my unit because I was lied to. As much as I talked to Ava, now I see that I was constantly being lied to. That kind of stuff just doesnt sit well with me and the bad taste was too much

Gn0sis

so, whats gonna happen with all the current owners?

they may be opening themselves up to potential legal consequences here

Gn0sis,

lazylathe

Almost there...
Need a plea to Ava/Liz to open source the software

They do not own it anymore...
The new owner has it now and it's his decision what to do with it.

@HexNailAva
Is this something you would be willing to do for the community?
If it's software we could always just torrent it.

lazylathe,
Reactions: Hogni

PoopMachine

Wow....... The plot thickens.....

So now this turd is back on Liz and Ava?

Once again, for all of you guys left holding the bag, please explore any options you have for a refund even if it means charging back against Paypal. They'll close your account but at least you'll get your money back.

Without new ownership in the picture, I would be terrified to take any kind of update that gets pushed out. Their track record with bug free updates is not all that great and if your unit bricks, what happens then? Send it in and never see it again?

Good luck, guys.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
"Original management will be pushing the new update this month. ...."

Hogni,

Gn0sis

i'm really surprised at the lack of negative sentiment being directed towards the old hexnail owners vs how much CCA was getting... hexnail dropped the ball MUCH worse

PayPal cant help you if its past the 6 month time period that they give to file disputes.... I'm waiting till I can call customer service tomorrow to see if I can file a dispute through my bank.

PoopMachine

There is definitely a crime here. I mentioned that a few pages back. It just up to someone who is actually owed something calling the police in their town and filing a complaint. With the new owners backing out due to some undisclosed debt, I just cant see the ship ever righting itself again.

I think it’s hard to sue somebody when you don’t know where they are. I don’t think we should feel like we’ll ever see Ava on here again, unfortunately.

scalescliffs,

juxt

I'm expecting to hear back from PayPal this week, we'll see there. Google already responded that it was a purchase against the TOS so I'm out of luck on getting the $300 back. We'll see if I ever see that $600. Maybe I should call the police ... $900 is still small claims here though so even if I got a verdict it would cost me more going in than I would ever see.

I really wanted them to be successful, I spent so much positive energy on them, I bought all the bs. I guess it's good in one way, only $900 to never fucking trust an internet weed business ever again...sweet deal.

JCat

Accessory Maker
This really is too bad ... if they do decide to open source the software good chance I could help get this back on track .... depends on what the current state is, what exactly the hardware platform and software architecture are, etc.

I’d definitely be willing to go over it and assess the situation and provide recommendations as to next steps ...

@HexNailAva ... if you are interested send me a PM if you like and we can discuss how I might be able to help out here.

You might want to even consider doing not full open source so others can contribute but you still own the code and no derivative works can be produced nor used for commercial purposes .... ie. if someone wants to use it for commercial purposes they would need your explicit permissions where you could license it to them ...

SilentJ

This is some really sad development recently. I was really hoping to buy a HN when the new owner produced the new units. I guess I’ll have to start looking at something else like the KubeOne. At least I finally got my dispute approved and refunded by PayPal!

I had a buddy point out the MaxVapor e-nail as a replacement option. Does anybody have any info on those? It appears to have many of the same features as the HN did.

lazylathe

Almost there...
This is some really sad development recently. I was really hoping to buy a HN when the new owner produced the new units. I guess I’ll have to start looking at something else like the KubeOne. At least I finally got my dispute approved and refunded by PayPal!

I had a buddy point out the MaxVapor e-nail as a replacement option. Does anybody have any info on those? It appears to have many of the same features as the HN did.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/maxvapor-e-nail-2018-version.30223/

ensabbahnur

Hash Vacuum
Blah blah blah........none of this conjecture matters, NOTHING is going to come of it (no litigation is going to be brought against anyone whatsoever) because at the end of the day it simply isn't worth anyones times to pursue unless they really want to TRY to get a pound of flesh...and considering the state they were in when they left the scene, there isn't any flesh to the had.

Only thing there is any hope of getting true resolution is getting the existing units functional.....where is the sw update?

Edit: as an aside, "good job" to whoever FINALLY changed the name of the thread, its only been wrong for like 2 years now and in need of updating/correction but leave it to something shitty to happen to get anyone to react. (makes jerk off motion in their direction)

alittledabwilldoya'

Sapphire Powered Dabstronaut.
Anyone have an extra SD card that they aren't going to need?
For the HN-01.

PS This is Fucking Bullshit!!!
I am disappointed for the unrealized potential of this product and company.
I'm not sure if I got lucky or not, but my HN-01 is a joy to own and use.
Mmmm, Zebrawood.

Sorry that @HexNailAva and @HexNailLiz weren't able to keep the boat afloat.

:peace:

Elemen0py

Disappointed is putting it lightly.

I'm thankful to not be one of the many who've been burned by this thing, but at the same time I'm gutted that I'll never realise the dream of having a fully functional Skynet on my desk. On a larger scale, it's heartbreaking to see this thing fall apart when it looked like we'd finally found a resolution that might work for everyone involved.

It'd be nice to see the firmware put into the hands of the community so that they can salvage something from all of this, but with the limited user-base and no way for it to expand it feels a little too optimistic to see the Hex-Nail having a future. Hypothetically, if the firmware was to be available and made stable and the details of parts and manufacture made available I'd strongly consider making one of the damn things myself, if not just paying someone willing to save me the effort.

But let's be real, chances of any of this are slim.

Nobody here wins. There's not much else to say.

MaxVapor E-Nail's starting to look pretty good right about now. Not half as pretty, but I'd be a fool not to choose a workhorse over a unicorn.

JigMelon

There are 3 things that I want and we (the people who already own these) need:

1. Assuming all the firmware is on the SD cards for both generations of devices, they need to provide images of the latest public release for each device, with references to individual units removed.

2. We need the same for the upcoming firmware.

3. The logical design behind the firmware/software as well as whatever's necessary to host the management interface. HTML, javascript, etc.

Reasoning for each:

1. This is absolutely crucial for repairing our unit in the event that our card is damaged.

2. Same as above.

3. Even if we don't get 1 and 2, having 3 will allow us to host our own management interfaces. We do not need to adjust the firmware to use the interface hosted elsewhere; we just need to host it and have our routers look for the domain at the IP of the newly-hosted interface (via a hosts entry).

Additional comments:

If they are able to provide these things I would be happy. I already have many goals with the device that I would like to bring to fruition; just waiting on the ingredients to be posted. I sincerely hope that Ava and Liz do not abandon us on the forum. They don't want to see the project die, I'm sure, and they likely want us to be able to continue using these as much as we do.

@HexNailAva I just want to point out that unless you've reached out to FuckCombustion to associate your account with the HN company, you "own" the account as an individual and are able to say whatever you want. Whoever at Team Rosin said otherwise, is completely wrong. You were absolutely within your rights to post what you had posted, unless there was an NDA that explicitly stated otherwise. The company does not own the account; FuckCombustion does.

Fuck Team Rosin. This was executed in an extremely unprofessional manner. They knew what happened with the original management, yet when they assumed their role as new management they immediately continued the same exact behavior of the original team with their responses and posts on IG. They clearly were speaking out their asses and were not at all prepared to speak on behalf of the company in regard to functionality updates.

@HexNailAva I don't know the terms of your agreement with them, but I think you and Liz need to take the necessary steps to ensure that Team Rosin cannot use your intellectual property. If you created original logic for controlling temperature, they will take it and implement it into their products. Were they given the current code base? Did they have access to it in such a way that they could have saved it? If the deal fell through, and they implement your technology in their devices, they are absolutely looking at a lawsuit.

Please let us know what your plans are in regard to releasing the code base. If Team Rosin walked away from this with the firmware/software/site information, and we, the actual customers that use and rave about your product, did not also get this information, I would be incredibly disappointed.

Also @710Coils, considering you know them personally, I really hope that you will get them to look at our posts since the announcement. Even if they don't want to come on here and talk with us, we would really appreciate you being a bridge of contact at least until everything is finalized. I want to help continue this project in an open fashion, and I think their cooperation with that would ease the nerves of many, if not most, of the contributors to this thread. Unless Liz does not want to open source her intellectual property, there is no reason that their phenomenal vision of this product needs to disappear. Obviously everyone wants the company to live on, but I want to make sure the HN team understands our need for the product itself to live on. We, as a community, can make that happen, but only with Ava and Liz's cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom