Discontinued herbalAire

Grind your herbals, then add a screen to the bottom of the crucibal, add herbals, then add another screen so that the material is stuck at the very bottom of the crucible where all the heat is. Try again, make sure you aren't connected to the airpump. Packing the crucible like this with finely ground material was easily the best way to vapebong with the HA IME.

Edit: totally missed your post Jackmormon, thank you for the credit.

charliedontsurf,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Well, yea- that is what I did. I m going to try it some more this weekend. I mean- should it hit as good as the EQ through glass?

Tstat,
Tstat said:
Well, yea- that is what I did. I m going to try it some more this weekend. I mean- should it hit as good as the EQ through glass?

Did you? Because what I suggested is not conventional wisdom for the HA. You're using extra, spare, non-stock screens in order to pin the herbal material to the very bottom of the crucible? And, if so, you're still having lacking vapebonging results? That shouldn't be, this method works very, very well for me, and only the somewhat lacking flavor of the HA keeps it out of my rotation.

charliedontsurf,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Again, yes I did. It was suggested in this thread to do exactly that method. It didn't work very well for me, but I am experienced enough to know that I need to keep trying. All vapes have a learning curve and all.

Even if it does work OK that way, it seems to be a pain in the ass to mess around with screens and a hot crucible.

Tstat,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
When you say you disconnected the hose from the back of the ha did you also remove the black piece that the tube to the ha? If that piece is still in the ha it will significantly reduce your ability to draw freely.

Another question for u tstat, are you letting your stuff cook for a little while? I try to load the crucible, put a screen on top, then put it in the ha, put yourmoutpiece in and then turn the ha on to 400f. Wait until it's up to temp then hit it! So it will sit there for two to three mins while it gets up to temp. The conduction heating needs time to saturate your product with heat. I realize that CDs isn't such a big fan of conduction heating but I think that has more to do with the taste rhan the size of the clouds or the effectiveness of the meds. Anyways, if you can't get clouds theough this thing then I would assume hat there is something wrong with your ha (doubtful), or your definition of a huge cloud. Try a supreme vape if you want the thickest hits possible! But IMO theha is the ha is better because you get slightly less dense clouds from the ha compared to the supreme but you get 3x as many hits! A session with he ha takes me twenty mins if I start at 355f, and slowly bump up the temps every few pulls. With the supreme you get a few pulls and done, session can be finished in less than 5 mins.

Finally, the last thing I would suggest hat if you want more/thicker clouds from your ha, try simply puttin more product in the crucible. If you normally load 0.1, try 0.2, or 0.3. I don't notice thicker clouds from using more product but the session seems to last longer!

One last thing, Try some different meds, or curing the ones you got. I have noticed hat different strains can produce more Vapes than others.

One last question, if you blow a bag up @400f is the bag cloudy? If not then there must be something wrong with the ha? There's a pic in this thread somewhereif a ha bag that is opaque, if yours can't reproduce a cloudy bag then I would think your ha is faulty, although I doubt it.

Anyways, good luck I am glad to see that you realize that everything has a learning curve and you haven't given up yet!

notmyrealUSERname,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, learning curve is important. I didn't like my LB for a while, until I "got it". And yea, the HA is the same way. I took a break from work and went down and tried it again. I let it heat up at 400, then I let the crucible (with the screens and ground meds) heat up for a little while, too. The hits I got were pretty damn good.

So, since I don't post here often I'll tell you a little bit about me and the HA. I bought the HA for my son (22) because he loved to blow bags with my EQ. This HA does nice thick bags very well, and it doesn't have breakable parts (my son breaks glass a lot). He isn't using it as much because he bought a nice, new tube. He likes to vape, but he likes smoking better. I have not combusted in well over a year, and also quit smoking. I am a MMJ patient and grower.

I sold my PD because I just couldn't get medicated enough from it at night. It was my bedroom vape because it was so beautiful and my wife didn't mind having it out. I hated to part with it, and now I use my LB in the bedroom. It's not ideal for that situation, but I am waiting for The Cloud to come out for use in the bedroom :) In the meantime I wanted to try to HA in my bedroom, but I haven't had the time figure it out.

Now that I get it (more or less), it's coming upstairs! Like I said, it hit nicely through my Toro using the screens and letting it heat up a lot. There was a slightly funny taste towards the end of the session, but not horrible. It will do fine, I think, until the Cloud's release.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Tstat,
Sorry if my tone came off as condescending earlier Tstat, I just wanted to make sure you really understood what I was trying to convey. I'm happy to hear you're starting to get the hang of it. The HA is a flawed but overall impressive vape, with alot to offer at its price point. Did your son ever try using the HA to vapebong through his new tube? It might make him a convert.

charliedontsurf,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Oh, not at all as far as tone, etc. And my kid may see the light when he sees me hitting the HA through my glass. He is just a kid, though and wants to smoke "blunts" and rip huge bongs. I am not being critical, I smoked for a LONG time before I started vaping.

He came back from NH the other day and wanted to smoke a blunt with me- even though he know I don't smoke (esp. a hollowed out cigar!) I took him downstairs and showed him my brand new Toro Circ and explained that is how the big boys medicate!

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Ok, it worked great last night. Now, my question is- can I load a full crucible, take a few hits, and then shut it off and go back to it later? That would be ideal, as long as it works OK that way...

Tstat,
In short, no. The Herbalaire has a large conduction element to how it vaporizes and leaving it in for even say 8-10 minutes at 355+ leaves you with a partially depleted, noticably less tasty bowl. I used to kind of power through Herbalaire bowl when I was using it, to avoid waste. You would want to pull the crucible if you really wanted to come back to it later.

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Thanks, man. Still gonna be a good bedroom vape for me. Last night i was getting huge hits before bed...

Tstat,

Egzoset

Banned
Hello HerbalAire owners!

I need help with this topic relatively to using my HA for tasting "samples" from a live plant:

Drying out your bud........

I'd like to experiment with perpetual harvesting by proceeding in this manner:

2889u6p.jpg

Locate resinous area at the tip of large enough buds...

4hqjoj.jpg

...then cut but leave something behind to grow further!

I'm told that harvesting this way should allow continuous growth of the buds, the alternative being to cut the whole plant to dry it with its head down (which implies having buds of varying sizes: some well developped, others not so well)...

Advice on delays would be especially appreciated but all comments will be most welcome!

:)

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
I guess if i spent 315 CAD every six months on a vaporizer i wouldn't think about things like that.

Egzoset,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
It's fine if you are just testing it or waiting for the rest to dry. I would think though, that cutting the tip of the bud off, will slightly shock it, causing it to "swell" at a slower rate. If it's close to being done, and you clip it, it may take 2-3 weeks to recover and swell anymore. By that time, you'll probably be past the plants "peak" time.

Seems like it would just lower your final yield, the buds you leave on will be past the "peak" window, not to mention the potencyand flavor you lose w/o a proper dry and cure. If it can be done, it would need to be a long flowering sativa that has multiple "peak" windows.

I chop when mostly cloudy, few clears, few amber. Then I cut buds into quarter sized and into a shoe box with a screen. Turn over a couple of times a day. 2-3 days later, into jars.

Magic9,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi Magic9,

Thank you for your input, pieces of advice are hard to come by these days when it's for the owners of some next-to-become-obsolete vaporizer! Ha! Ha!

{Just checking what the reaction will be!} :ko:

Well, you've convinced me! It's such a nicely formulated rational explanation i simply decided it was time to remove the nuggets present in the upper section of my plant, above the experimentation site... I'll also have to be more careful with quick "testing" since i read this afternoon that 140 F really should be the maximum temperature setting - it turns out the HA v2.1 starts at 250 F, most unfortunately. :/

:peace:

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
What? It's the "perpetual harvesting" expression that sounds suspicious or something?...

;)

Egzoset,

Pcpvapors

Just how efficient is the HA? Is it efficient like a VG or even better like a PD? looking into getting my buddy's HA for 100$ Im just torn between this or an LB. He got his model in 2009 which means its still under warranty which is good but just how "built to last" is the HA

Pcpvapors,

mrfloopa

Vappy
Pcpvapors said:
Just how efficient is the HA? Is it efficient like a VG or even better like a PD? looking into getting my buddy's HA for 100$ Im just torn between this or an LB. He got his model in 2009 which means its still under warranty which is good but just how "built to last" is the HA

From my understanding, the thing is built to last as long as you can--hence teflon instead of glass, etc. I would go for the HA for $100, since it would be a great deal. Worse comes to worse, you can sell it to me for $100 and get a MFLB. :brow:

mrfloopa,
Reactions: MG23

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
^ no contest, get the ha! i don't own a magic flight but i love the versatility of the ha! for $100 you will not be disappointed. the mfb comes with a lifetime warranty (not exaxctly sure how that works), but the ha is built like a tank. it has an easy to replace temperature control knob, practically indestructible teflon mouthpiece, and the crucibles are cheap and ultimately optional anyways, the body itself is very robust - there is a vid of a ha dropping off a ladder on youtube! as far as a reliable home based vaporizer i don't think you'll be able to find a better one - especially for that price!

keep in mind the two vapes have different goals in mind, portability is not the ha's strong point, however, no mfb will be able to milk a tube like the ha, or blow up bags, or have the temperature control, that the ha has.

notmyrealUSERname,
Reactions: MG23

Pcpvapors

I'm not concerned with portability since I view bags just as portable as an iolite or anything of the like. Does anyone know what the heating element actually is? Thanks for the responses and Im gonna pick it up reguardless I was just curious of anyone knew.

Pcpvapors,

Egzoset

Banned
I was about to enumerate the qualities of an HerbalAire v2.1 but i'll just focus on the cons to make it quick:

The Main white Teflon Mouthpiece!

:|

You wish there were a whip option to match an HA as this would help to save noble consumables instead of leaving them inside a hot crucible, waiting to be removed for consumption *pronto*. Direct inhalation sort of makes me nervous between two tokes, rendering the balloon system my prefered (and unique) method for this reason. Too bad i can't really "taste" my herb in a bag though.

...and speaking of which... The balloon's black mouthpiece is OKay while direct inhalation results in shrinking the passage for airflow somewhat. I'd personnaly whish there were more than one size available, consequently.

Cleaning is another thing i dislike: after a while deposits harden and thicken around the wires of its mesh to a point where even 94 % pure alcohol won't get rid of it: the goo gets baked! My solution ranges between burning that varnish-like layer with a flame or it has to be dissolved with hot (i mean HOT, but so HOT it would risk affecting teflon, euh...) cooking oil, combined with some brushing of course.

Which brings my last main point: try to foresee beyond a couple years ahead and get mouthpiece replacements (i mean MANY)! Not by the dozen but certainly more than one, euh... ...and/or use your own separate screens to save the one molded inside because right now an HA with no Mouthpiece would become useless if that mouthpiece happens to be lossed or badly damaged.

ADDENDUM:

I almost forgot... Worst of all, it's the fact that the main white teflon mouthpiece conduit is large enough to allow the passage of a Q-Tip cotton swab but by the time it reaches the molded (not replaceable) screen at the base there's a larger diameter cavity behind that screen and i can't clean it up... This means, i guess, i'm a bad boy who should have spent much more money on maintenance, euh... But i don't feel i'm doing something wrong here, actually. Nope! Perhaps the build up sky-rocketed without me noticing, i'm not sure. All i know is that i'm going to need to order another mouthpiece, eventually.

2nd ADDENDUM:

So, no one is reading this thread hey?

I've just dicovered a few minutes ago that the screen CAN be removed from the main white teflon mouthpiece! It fits in so precisely, i guess, you'd swear the wires are trapped by the surrounding teflon material because there's no visible seam... Oh and nobody cared to correct me? C'mon people! What the hell is going on here!!! I mean, the HA vaporizer competes directly with the Volcano (i wouldn't want one even for less money than my HA). Get the picture?! So, who was going to tell me about the HA main white teflon mouthpiece's REMOVABLE SCREEN, hey???

Well, let the records show that someone (me) finally had to actually order one (and make thousands of circles around it) before such simple facts can be eventually revealed!... At least it's totally possible for me to have this embarrassing mistake corrected and it's OKay to hope that no one will ever notice, seriously! We'll see.

:|

Egzoset,
Reactions: ugobo

mrfloopa

Vappy
Egzoset said:
I've just dicovered a few minutes ago that the screen CAN be removed from the main white teflon mouthpiece!

I think it was alluded to, but never mentioned directly, somewhere in the thread pages and pages back (but I'm not sure). I, too, am worried about this thread. I felt as though this was a great vape, could be a nice heavy hitter that is also amazingly efficient. And then... people just stopped talking about it. I see some people's signatures change to not include the HA at all, or list is as a past vape or not in use anymore. What happened? It certainly puts me off to the unit, even though it was by far my top choice. What caused you guys (if you come back here) to stop using the unit? Was it not as heavy a hitter as you wanted? Was it too much of a hassle to set up and use? Were its flaws in whip mode or direct draw too much?

Also, how is whip mode? All I really hear is "not as good as a dedicated whip vape, worse than EQ whip." I understand comparisons, but without any measure of degree of difference between the two, I don't know how "not as good" it is compared to others. Anyway, to complete my collection for now, I just need a heavy hitter. I am considering DBV and this. I know DBV is a heavier hitter, but I am really interested in bags and whip, since I can do direct draw with my WDZ. Still, I would settle for the whip only if the HA really suffers at the "get really medicated every once in a while" point of use.

mrfloopa,

steiner666

Serial vapist
I loved the HA too, but I stopped using mine for a few reasons. Mainly I stopped getting primarily mids and got KB on a regular basis, which costed a lot more so I switched to a log vape almost exclusively so i can use tiny loads, which sure you can in the HA, it just doesnt feel the same. The log usage style and also worked better for my needs. They're always on and ready to go, and the mouthpiece and bowl are one piece (stem) that is easily removed, even mid-session should you need to, which was my one griped about the HA, once i dropped in the crucible and started I almost always wanted to vape until the end. While the amount that I loaded into a crucible on average was definitely enough to get be vaked a couple times, I would always end up too much of it up too fast, and I'm someone who likes to start with fresh herbs every time i vape, i have almost no interest in picking back up on a partially vaped bowl.

Another reason i stopped using it was because I stopped using it for one of the main reasons i got it - to revape herb from other vapes when i'm out of fresh bud. Sure, for a while there i was vaping the wdz abv in it now and then, but then I switched to QWISO for my abv, and i find that vaping QWISO goo is much more pleasant than any means of delivering 400F HA ABV vapor.

And lastly, the HA was a vape i bought to be used with my noob friends when they came by, and my gf at the time had started trying to hit my ssv but couldnt always get a good amount of vapor in the tiny puff that she would take, so i wanted to get a bag vape. Well she ended up getting preg and stopped partaking altogether, only tried the HA bags once. One friend really loved the HA but always got too stoned off it, to teh point he was almost lethargic, until one time he got so stoned he felt like he was sick i guess, when we did a packed crucible at 375F right off the bat lol. Another friend liked the HA straight up until the end but stopped having $ or herb to pitch in, so I would more often than not be offering up stems to share instead of the more extravagant loads of the HA. Either way, it just stopped getting used as a multi-person/party vape, which was the other main reason I got it.

So yeah, those are the reasons why I stopped using the HA as my primary vape. I eventually moved it and its accessories off my desk and to the closet because it wasnt being used and there was a change in my life where i couldnt just have tons of vaporizer stuff laying around everywhere. After spending so much time in the closet, i figured i might as well just sell it to someone that will get use out of it, and the money went towards buying a different log vape that was even better suited to my needs than the WDZ. If i had enough disposable income that I could afford to buy new vapes without having to sell ones that arent used much anymore, I definitely would have hung on to the HA, but alas, I am not rich.

But I would still say the HA is the best vape in some ways:

Best extraction for if you only want to vape w/o dealing with QWISO or cooking
Best vape for quickly getting a good effect off of not-so-good herb
Best party vape especially if you get the high-output pump and large bags or 3/5-way mouthpiece
Excellent lazy man/noob vape, no grinding needed, no risk of combustion even with having best extraction.

and thats why I still commonly recommend it to certain people.

steiner666,

Egzoset

Banned
Hummm...

Maybe everyone is holding teir breaths waiting for the HA v3!

When it comes to the "whip" mode it seems i've chosen the wrong translation: i meant i'd like to see a wand, handle, etc. being offered as an option, so that my herb no longer stays inside the HA's oven while i'm not inhalating. I'm aware this might lead to a greener ABV but the possibility to put that ABV inside the crucible for total extraction would remain intact anyway.

At least now i can delay ordering a spare main white teflon mouthpiece as i've got plenty of replacement screens which i fit inside my crucible (instead of the mouthpiece's base)!

Egzoset,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Egzoset said:
So, no one is reading this thread hey?

I've just dicovered a few minutes ago that the screen CAN be removed from the main white teflon mouthpiece! It fits in so precisely, i guess, you'd swear the wires are trapped by the surrounding teflon material because there's no visible seam... Oh and nobody cared to correct me? C'mon people! What the hell is going on here!!! I mean, the HA vaporizer competes directly with the Volcano (i wouldn't want one even for less money than my HA). Get the picture?! So, who was going to tell me about the HA main white teflon mouthpiece's REMOVABLE SCREEN, hey???:|

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=139882#p139882

sometimes, i can't see the forest for the trees either.

mrfloopa;
Also, how is whip mode? All I really hear is "not as good as a dedicated whip vape, worse than EQ whip." I understand comparisons, but without any measure of degree of difference between the two, I don't know how "not as good" it is compared to others. Anyway, to complete my collection for now, I just need a heavy hitter. I am considering DBV and this. I know DBV is a heavier hitter, but I am really interested in bags and whip, since I can do direct draw with my WDZ. Still, I would settle for the whip only if the HA really suffers at the "get really medicated every once in a while" point of use.

the ha is a stud in my stable. it always will be. i have tried most of the popular vapes out there and for what i am after the ha fits the bill the best.

the ha is not as good a whip vape as pretty much any other whip vape because of the small diameter tubing that the ha comes with. its not very flexible either. personally i think whips are useless and an added expense and hassle. with the ha just insert the mouthpiece directly into the downstem of almost any waterpiece and after a few crucibles you will wonder why anyone ever bothers with whips. if you want heavy hitter the ha in vapebong mode will not disappoint. i would say that it can hit just as hard as ssv/dbv - (i have only used the ssv). in practise the ha is also much easier to use around glass than the ssv - one hand on the glass, one hand on the ha, nothing ever gets spilled or dropped.

the ha excels at blowing bags, thats what it is designed to do! only advice for blowing bags is to use two bags at once so that the pump is always running - you need to switch them fast!

i think the ha is like the sv - once people have them in their hands (and gotten over whatever learning curve may, or may not, be involved) they just keep using them. not much to discuss because they just work and work well. also, there's not a manufacturing presence in this thread or even any vendors actively promoting the ha or sv so these threads are somewhat uneventful.

Pcpvapors: i think the heating element is a nichrome wire, it was discussed within this thread at some point. but now that i am searching for it i can't find it of course!

notmyrealUSERname,
Top Bottom