Discontinued herbalAire

max

Out to lunch
Has anyone had any success making your Herbalaire portable and would you share your setup.
I haven't tried, and judging from your experience, it may be a good idea to keep it inside and running on AC. Most car converters should be able to handle most vapes, but if your vape costs more than your converter, it might be wise to be on the cautious side.

max,
Here is what the peeps at Herbalaire told me when I told them I fried my Herbie.....

" it sounds like the unit has overheated most likely do to a power fluctuation or foreign power signature. We do not recommend that users operate the HerbalAire with a power inverter, but lots of people have had success with many high quality power invertors. We designed the circuitry of the HerbalAire to follow the sine wave that 60hz 120v AC power source provides. Most power invertors change the power signature and/or wave slightly that the circuitry rely's on for smooth temperature control. In most cases high quality inverters just cause the HerbalAire to take longer to heat up initially. Invertors of a lower quality can cause the unit to overheat and blow the thermal fuse which is placed there to protect the electronics."

I think I read earlier in this post that someone used a battery that they got at a hardware store for portable use....I have a Magic Flight Launch Box which is portable and awesome, but I'd also love to be able to power up the harbalaire when I'm out on the beach at night or anywhere where there's no electricity.

brightside420,

Egzoset

Banned
Hello enthousiast HerbalAire users!

Today i have a question for you:

Have you ever wished you could control the airflow output from the pump of your HA v2.1?

Well, perhaps you can do it right now! I just found out that its selenod-based design makes it continuously variable, all it takes is an A.C. power outlet linked to an ordinary light dimmer!!!

:peace:

Egzoset,

vape4health

I fried a HA using a cheap inverter, I was latter notified that you need a pure sine wave inverter not a mod or modified sine wave. I been using my HA a lot and have to say I love it.

vape4health,
Reactions: MG23

Egzoset

Banned
Euh...

This is the pump i got with my HerbalAire (v2.1):

2jg73g3.jpg

I'd be quite surprized if there were any risk to "fry" it using an ordinary light dimmer! On the other hand, i can't garantee that's safe for the light dimmer!...

:ko:

Oh, by the way... If one does wish to experiment with linear airflow control as i've suggested here then this person must have a lamp connected to the same socket or it might fail to work: i found out that nothing happens when i turn off the lamp (the pump stops)... Practically any lamp will do, as long as the dimmer is suitable for the task.

N.B.: DO NOT CONNECT YOUR HERBALAIRE TO THE DIMMER-CONTROLLED CIRCUIT IF YOU TRY THIS!

Egzoset,

tdandre

maconheiro revolucionario
Ive been using my herbalaire for 6 months now, mainly whip mode. I find the baloons setup little anoying and prefer the quickness of the whip, which in my opinion provides very rich and tastefull blows that meets my needs for now.
But when in vapebong setup it really shines
2epq9e1.jpg

rbbhc1.jpg

Also ive been using the herbalaire on the road with a car power inverter
2ahek2h.jpg

works fine, just takes a little longer to heat.

tdandre,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
can i suggest that you don't use your whip when in vapebong mode? if you simply place the white mouthpiece directly into the stem of your bong you should be able to notice less drag, and hopefully better taste.

also, have you replaced your whip within the last 6 months? it sure looks clean!

Egzoset

Banned
Pff! You want drag capacity?

A ballon with a larger conduit (and a matching adapter) filled at a slower pace using the dimmer trick i just mentioned above would produce some very satisfying drag, in my opinion. Too bad it doesn't even come as an option from HerbalAire but this minor detail doesn't mean it can't be done...

Egzoset,

vape4health

Thats the exact same inverter that broke my hA tdandre, I emailed herbalAire about it and they said a pure sine wave inverter is needed. Maybe something is different with yours because I only got one use with the inverter, it worked good for one load then burned the next one and wouldn't come back on after I got home to test it with normal house power.

vape4health,

Egzoset

Banned
OKay, now that we've dealt with what doesn't work why not consider a simple addition which i know DOES work:

5y26f.jpg

Lets describe it from left to right. 1st, an in-line dimmer. 2nd, a triple outlet extender. 3rd, a 300 mW resistive device (LED lamp seems fine). Last but not least, the HerbalAire pump of which we only see the power plug here (in black).

Ain't that simple/compact enough?

:cool:

Now please take note that the triple outlet extender must match with the A.C. outlet on the dimmer. In my own situation there happened to be screws on the back of that extender so i just opened it and removed the ground pin/bus, making it a perfect fit for the two-contacts dimmer outlet. Also, pay attention to the middle outlet on that extender: it's hidden behind my large LED lamp and that's a good thing because THE HERBALAIRE VAPORIZER MUSN'T BE CONNECTED TO ANY DIMMER WHATSOEVER.

Next, lets comment on airflow control: this dimmer has no buttons because the power cord connected to its outlet acts like an antenna that detects when we touch it (through the cable's insulation layer, of course). This means that to adjust my pump's airflow i only need to touch its power cord briefly, each touch making the dimmer cycle throuh its set of available power levels. Isn't that convenient?!

:D

Lets consider level 0 is "Off", level 1 is " power", level 2 is " power", level 4 is "" and level 5 is "fully On", euh...

I believe that suggests i can multiply the concentration of noble vapor by 4, 2 or 1.3, with "Off" and "On" settings being 0 % and 100 % power (no multiplication).

Finally, with the matter of concentration (thickness) handled, my next point will be bag airflow once it's been filled...

:popcorn:

So, we have a bag which should be four times "thicker" at best. Imagine if its mouthpiece were made a tiny bit larger, say enough to fit a 5/16" I.D. 7/16" O.D. tube inside its opening, rendering that bag compatible with the Zephyr in in the process!... Well, 7/16" that's almost as large as the whole HerbalAire mouthpiece itself, now how does the airflow of a 7/32" opening compare with that of a 7/16" opening? Hummm... I'm not sure about the airflow but i'd say the opening's diameter doubled, in such a case! Consequently, my guess is this would mean a 4:1 improvement in terms of airflow, so... Where would that lead us to get 4:1 concentration-improved vapor in a bag with a 4:1 improved airflow?...

:science:

A 16:1 improved hit, perhaps?

:mmmm:

Egzoset,

tdandre

maconheiro revolucionario
notmyrealUSERname said:
can i suggest that you don't use your whip when in vapebong mode? if you simply place the white mouthpiece directly into the stem of your bong you should be able to notice less drag, and hopefully better taste.

also, have you replaced your whip within the last 6 months? it sure looks clean!

yes i replaced by a vapir whip a friend of mine had and gave me. The original ones are yellow.
I use the whip in vapebong because i find it easier to deal with than holding it upside down while vaping. I dont mind the extra drag, but better taste would be something to consider. Perhaps will try using without the whip.

tdandre,

Egzoset

Banned
Dimmer setup tested, the bag does get denser and airflow is no real issue for me while using such a bag but the elevated concentration may happen to cause cauphing. More consistant behavior of the controller is obtained when its load is something like a 25 Watts lightbulb, though. It seems that load needs to be mainly resistive (instead of inductive) indeed!

Mist Maker humidifier tested again too, direct inhalation from the main mouthpiece makes me caugh every time but this definitely works fine in some way. Only problem: insufficient airflow.

Egzoset,

appa juice

I saw a thread covering extraction of the whip hash in another thread but because this tubing is not quite as pliable as the one demonstrated in that thread, does anyone have an efficient way to clean all of the whip hash out of the whip?

appa juice,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Ok, so without getting into the whole story, I find myself with a HA. I bought it for my son, and it does not have the crucible. That's my first question- where can I buy one with fast shipping to New England?

The other question I had, I think has been answered. I need to hook the HA up to glass. It's the only way I do it, I hate bags. I guess the best way is to just stick it on the down stem (no whip).

I plan to buy a Cloud when it comes out, but I figured I'd use this in my bedroom in the meantime...

Tstat,

dorkus_molorkus

Hi Tstat,
dunno where to get the crucibles. but I have read on here (I think) that you can use the HA without the crucible while you are waiting on them being shipped(when you find them of course)

pLs check back thru the thread (or maybe someone else can confirm or deny), its a very short post and reply if I remember correctly. But someone did ask can you use the HA without the crucible, and I am sure I read the answer was yes.

In regards to the glass, the HA fits perfect in a 14mm glass joint. you may find you will want to drill out the stem for better airflow, but thats a personal preference.

hope this helps a little

jackmormon

Tstat,

Most of the forum sponsoring vendors carry them. Here is a link:

https://www.vaporstore.com/proddetail.php?prod=HA-Crucibles4pak

On using this thing with glass, it rocks. Try it without drilling the mouthpiece. I like to "milk" a piece slowly with dense vapor. I find the standard HA airflow to be a little to loose and use my finger to "feather" the intake hole on the back to slow down the airflow and get milkier hits.

jackmormon,
Reactions: MG23

max

Out to lunch
where can I buy one with fast shipping to New England?
I'd say Vapeworld. They're in FL. Probably your best price too, with the 12% code. You can use it without the crucible, but I'd put a screen over the output holes, and order a 4 pack.

max,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Thanks everyone! Is the 12% code something for FC members?

Tstat,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, I have- just haven't had time to search for the crucible yet at any outlets. And I have never used the discount...

I promise to re-read this thread tonight. I read it once before I bought the unit, but never had the need to retain the knowledge, I guess. I tried it today without the crucible and I guess it works fine. I just don't know how to use it yet. I am putting the mouthpiece against a 14 mm downstem, but I have no idea on how long to heat it up, how to hit it, etc. I got hits, but nothing great.

Like I said, I will re-read this thread- but if anyone wants to give me some best practices, etc... that would be great ;)

Tstat,

max

Out to lunch
I have no idea on how long to heat it up
The 3 color LED should show you when it's reached your set temp. Red or green is fine. Red is transitory. It'll return to green. I always used mine for bags and I think it's designed for optimum performance with bag fill. I don't know what method's best with glass.

max,

jackmormon

Hi Tstat

With glass, which is the only way I use an HA, another forum member, Charliedontsurf educated me on some good technique. Maybe we can call this the CDS method!

Anyway, the trick is ground herb and screens for thick, rich vapor.

The inside of the crucible is slightly smaller than 5/8". I put an extra screen in the bottom of a crucible. Trimming an SSV/DBV screen which is 5/8" will work. I had some el-cheapo screens that were slightly smaller than 5/8" and fit perfectly. I put two Lotus scoops (approximately .1 to .15 grams) of ground herb into the crucible. Then, I use a real 5/8" screen and push it down on top of the herb compressing it and holding it in place. The screen has to be worked into the crucible since it is slightly larger. I will then put the crucible in the HA, warm up to 365 degrees (I like high temp) and the color indicator will turn red when it is fully heated. From then on it is just mating the HA mouthpiece with a 14mm GONG connection and vape away. I also partially cover the intake hole on the back of the HA when drawing to restrict airflow. I find that I can "milk" a glass piece easier that way.

Hope that helps...I take no credit for the ideas but this works awesome for me.

PS-If you try this method having a pair of fine point tweezers is very helpful for removing the screen used to compress and hold the ground herb in place.

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, I don't know. I want to like this vape, but I just cant get good hits through glass with it. I tried all my glass, and using ground meds and a screen. I get some vapor, but NOTHING like with my EQ. ABV look spretty cooked, but I just don't get a lot of vapor...

Tstat,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
^. You did take the hose off of the back of the ha didn't you? Otherwise it would be pretty hard to draw through. Also try starting at 400f. And finally, try loading the crucible, put it in the ha then turn it on and wait fir it to "smell" right, or until you see vapor coming out of the mouthpiece. Then hit it through your glass. Happy times!

notmyrealUSERname,
Top Bottom