Herb Grinders

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Regarding ISO and the cleaning of grinders, the toothbrush is a good idea but plain old rubbing alcohol does the trick less expensively. I just pour a bit into a ziplock and allow the grinder to soak an hour and it's back to brand new condition.

jeffp,

Canarka

Carbon said:
I have a 4 piece small size Space Case titanium and am quite happy with it. If I'm being honest the only reservation I have is that I probably should have just gotten a 2 piece as I doubt I'll ever accumulate enough of any fine screened material to use for anything. My 4 piece titanium small size was $50 cash, and I couldn't be happier.

You'll be surprised how much kief gets collected there. I only smoke top quality strains and in a month I had to clean the bottom kief collecter as it was completely full. I'm grinding about 0.8-1.2g a day.

Canarka,

Canarka

pkim87 said:
after a little more research, i ended up deciding to go with a 4 piece mendo mulcher grinder as I hear they can grind the material noticeably finer than the space case grinders. i hope i made the right choice..

If the grind is not fine enough, flip the thing upside down and grind away. Flip it over and give it a few spins for the stuff to fall through the holes and you're good to go. Works for my 4PC SC

Canarka,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just got my large 2 pc Mendo Mulcher yesterday, and I'm very impressed with the quality and functionality of this grinder. I don't know why I have gone so long without a decent grinder, but I'm pleased that I finally have a quality piece.

:peace:

Stu,

SmokingElectricity

I do not like turning 4pcs grinders upside down. for one your fuckin up your kief supply you have been working so hard to obtain and two it gunks up your grinder much much faster due to the space between the top and bottom sections on the teeth. i just toss it into the freezer for 30 minutes with the buds already inside and place a quarter on the inside ontop of the screen. grind it up, shake it around a bit and the bud is usually the perfect consistency for any vape [sure most of you have seen this trick before though] plus you get a bit extra kief in the chamber.

one cool thing i did steal from kanastor is that they include a guitar pick as a kief scraper with their grinders. now i use a dunlop 1.14mm bass pick as a scraper. had a bunch lying around anyway and they don't wear out like the little scrapers most grinders come with.

SmokingElectricity,

Carbon

Canarka said:
Carbon said:
I have a 4 piece small size Space Case titanium and am quite happy with it. If I'm being honest the only reservation I have is that I probably should have just gotten a 2 piece as I doubt I'll ever accumulate enough of any fine screened material to use for anything. My 4 piece titanium small size was $50 cash, and I couldn't be happier.

You'll be surprised how much kief gets collected there. I only smoke top quality strains and in a month I had to clean the bottom kief collecter as it was completely full. I'm grinding about 0.8-1.2g a day.
I only vape once in a while. 0.2 grams in the Volcano last night was enough to really put me away (and I could have run another bag easily). My tolerance is quite low these days.

Another reason things won't accumulate well is because I turn my grinder upside down so I can get a finer grind. I'm going to have to grind normally next time and see if the grind is as fine as when I turn it upside down.

Carbon,

Nycdeisel

It probably wont be, but maybe you should just look into getting a good 2 piece SC and a keif box.

Nycdeisel,

Canarka

Carbon said:
Another reason things won't accumulate well is because I turn my grinder upside down so I can get a finer grind. I'm going to have to grind normally next time and see if the grind is as fine as when I turn it upside down.

As do I. I flip it upside down to get it nice and fine, flip it right side up and give it a few spins so it all clears into the collection area. You use much less than I do though so you wont collect as quickly.

I wish my tolerance could be as low as yours :(

Canarka,

max

Out to lunch
Carbon said:
I'm going to have to grind normally next time and see if the grind is as fine as when I turn it upside down.
It shouldn't be. Ground bud will drop through the holes in a 4 pc. as soon as it's ground fine enough. Upside down, you're grinding like a 2 pc. The ground bud has nowhere to go so it just gets ground some more.

SmokingElectricity said:
I do not like turning 4pcs grinders upside down. for one your fuckin up your kief supply you have been working so hard to obtain
It should be common sense to avoid turning a 4 pc. upside down when you have kief in the bottom. I move the kief out after I'm done with a grinding session. Storing it in the kief collector is asking for trouble. And when the weather is warm/humid, it tends to stick to the aluminum, even when it's clean. I don't like to turn a 4 pc. upside down either-messy. And in my experience, it's easier to salvage a high % of the kief by screening it and keeping it separate. Using strictly a 2 pc., I end up having a hard time collecting it from every surface it contacts. I keep it in a small glass jar and it stays together rather than on this and that surface. A good 2 pc., an inexpensive 4 pc., and a cheap coffee grinder (if you have an LB), can be had for less than the price of one high end 4 pc.

max,

doubledown

Just got a couple grinders.
Small SC Ti: Ok, now I get it. You wouldn't think something so simple could vary so widely in quality but this thing is like a tank. Finish is perfect, blades are sharp as razors, threads are smooth and come together positively and easily. Gave it a whirl, like a hot knife through butter :)

Titan 4PC 62mm: A little bigger than I had planned. No biggie. Has a small (very small) indent on the grip around the top. Finish looks pretty good. Blades look sharp too. I did find a little shard of aluminum when I opened it but could be left over from manufacturing. Blades are diamond cut and very uniform. Threads are pretty squeaky and you have to work it a little to get it started but not too bad. Screen is held in by three strong magnets. I kinda like this feature, we will see if it creates any issues. Chambers seem generous. Teflon (I assume) ring on top magnetic chamber. Have not tried yet.

Smoking E, is yours still going strong? Have you noticed any aluminum or finish coming off?

doubledown,

max

Out to lunch
doubledown said:
Screen is held in by three strong magnets. I kinda like this feature, we will see if it creates any issues.
It shouldn't. I like the removeable screens on the MnB brand. I have a 2 pc. Titan. The anodized coating may be scratchable (haven't tested it) but true anodizing isn't gonna flake off. And it's quality aluminum, so there shouldn't be an issues with the teeth. Mine is as good as new.

max,

SmokingElectricity

doubledown said:
Small SC Ti: Ok, now I get it. You wouldn't think something so simple could vary so widely in quality but this thing is like a tank. Finish is perfect, blades are sharp as razors, threads are smooth and come together positively and easily. Gave it a whirl, like a hot knife through butter :)

Titan 4PC 62mm: A little bigger than I had planned. No biggie. Has a small (very small) indent on the grip around the top. Finish looks pretty good. Blades look sharp too. I did find a little shard of aluminum when I opened it but could be left over from manufacturing. Blades are diamond cut and very uniform. Threads are pretty squeaky and you have to work it a little to get it started but not too bad. Screen is held in by three strong magnets. I kinda like this feature, we will see if it creates any issues. Chambers seem generous. Teflon (I assume) ring on top magnetic chamber. Have not tried yet.

Smoking E, is yours still going strong? Have you noticed any aluminum or finish coming off?

mine is doing just fine. been using everynight for a month now. perfect for grinding up a single load for my nightly DBV sesh before bed. i don't recommend putting your titan in the freezer though.

SmokingElectricity,

Nycdeisel

doubledown said:

Oh yes! glad your enjoying your new things!

Nycdeisel,

EntRance

For my first grinder I figure I'd better invest in quality, so I just purchased a Space Case Titanium 4-piece, medium size. I wanted the anodizing to put an extra layer between aluminum and my herb and read that these SCs are some of the best. With luck the 4-piece will allow me to collect kief. Unfortunately, it won't be here for a little while.

Until it comes, can anyone suggest a homemade method to grind/cut etc... into the correct size without losing any kief/potency, for use with a VaporGenie or similar? I wouldn't mind buying something cheap locally like salt/pepper mill or a mortar and pestle if that would suffice. I've even heard of people dicing up their herb with a knife, or putting it in a coffee filter and rolling it over with a heavy can! Any suggestions?

EntRance,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
Stu said:
I just got my large 2 pc Mendo Mulcher yesterday, and I'm very impressed with the quality and functionality of this grinder. I don't know why I have gone so long without a decent grinder, but I'm pleased that I finally have a quality piece.

:peace:

hey Stu...I want to get a Mendo Mulcher heard good things about them, where did you order yours? (if you dont mind me asking) and does it ship to canada?

LaunchBox420,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
LaunchBox420 said:
ey Stu...I want to get a Mendo Mulcher heard good things about them, where did you order yours? (if you dont mind me asking) and does it ship to canada?
I got it off ebay from the seller "roxndave" which I believe is also the manufacturer. The auction stated that it ships to the US, so I don't know if that means that Canada is excluded or not. You can contact the seller and I'm sure he'd let you know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mendo-Mulcher-H...641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20a8d95c11

Cheers!

Stu,

pkim87

Stu said:
LaunchBox420 said:
ey Stu...I want to get a Mendo Mulcher heard good things about them, where did you order yours? (if you dont mind me asking) and does it ship to canada?
I got it off ebay from the seller "roxndave" which I believe is also the manufacturer. The auction stated that it ships to the US, so I don't know if that means that Canada is excluded or not. You can contact the seller and I'm sure he'd let you know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mendo-Mulcher-H...641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20a8d95c11

Cheers!

When did you order yours Stu? I ordered mine through roxndave on jan. 3, but due to a mistake in the shipping option, I tried emailing him and even tried calling his shop in willits, ca, but he hasn't responded at all.

Has anybody else been able to process an order or get in touch with him since Jan. 3?

pkim87,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I bought mine on Christmas day (xmas present to self :brow: ), and it arrived a week or so later on 1/3. I have since ordered a second unit for a friend on 1/5.

Stu,

Nycdeisel

EntRance said:
For my first grinder I figure I'd better invest in quality, so I just purchased a Space Case Titanium 4-piece, medium size. I wanted the anodizing to put an extra layer between aluminum and my herb and read that these SCs are some of the best. With luck the 4-piece will allow me to collect kief. Unfortunately, it won't be here for a little while.

Until it comes, can anyone suggest a homemade method to grind/cut etc... into the correct size without losing any kief/potency, for use with a VaporGenie or similar? I wouldn't mind buying something cheap locally like salt/pepper mill or a mortar and pestle if that would suffice. I've even heard of people dicing up their herb with a knife, or putting it in a coffee filter and rolling it over with a heavy can! Any suggestions?

first off I want to say good job on doing your research and all before you purchase anything, not enough people are doing that these days. I always try to encourage it :)

Space Case is really THE best out there, in the grinder department. I used to not use my grinder so much, and I would just use a small condiment dish and a small pair of scissors(scissors that are meant for cutting nails/cuticles work best IME), make sure both are CLEAN and dry before use, of course. Then just go to work by carefully cutting up the buds, try to be sure its all as even as you can get it, dont chop it up TOO fine though.

Nycdeisel,

EntRance

Thanks, NYCdeisel. I'm trying to do the best I can as I'm new to this whole thing. Can you (or anyone?) provide a reference for exactly what size I should cut the buds into for vaping? I have a set of nail scissors I can use and a condiment dish, so thanks for that tip! If anyone has say, a video or pictures of how to go about properly processing the buds into something ready to vape, I'd appreciate it. I've seen quite a few videos or tips that are not necessarily vape-centric but seem to lack detail and often seem wasteful.

I'd be willing to post my "before" and "after" pics to make sure I've ground/cut properly but I think that is against the rules if I'm correct.

EntRance,

max

Out to lunch
Space Case is really THE best out there, in the grinder department.
Since I've compared SC to pretty much every other brand (and generics) on the market, I'd have to disagree that it's a better performer. In my experience the only place where it's clearly superior is the ultra precise manufacturing process-no scratches or burrs from the build process. And that perfection is just looks and feel. It doesn't make for a better performing or longer lasting grinder. I've had people test different brands blindfolded and with gloves on, and they couldn't ID the SC grinders (or other high priced brands) either by the grinding process or the results. If you've got $ to spare and don't want to shop around for a good buy in a cheaper brand, you can't go wrong with SC, but you can also save big bucks and get high quality performance. Like the vape market, the grinder market has changed a lot over the years. High quality aluminum and 100% CNC manufacturing is now the norm, rather than the exception.

max,

lwien

max said:
I've had people test different brands blindfolded and with gloves on.....

Comon' Max. That was just an excuse to indulge in your blindfold, latex glove fetish. :brow:

lwien,

Nycdeisel

EntRance said:
Thanks, NYCdeisel. I'm trying to do the best I can as I'm new to this whole thing. Can you (or anyone?) provide a reference for exactly what size I should cut the buds into for vaping? I have a set of nail scissors I can use and a condiment dish, so thanks for that tip! If anyone has say, a video or pictures of how to go about properly processing the buds into something ready to vape, I'd appreciate it. I've seen quite a few videos or tips that are not necessarily vape-centric but seem to lack detail and often seem wasteful.

I'd be willing to post my "before" and "after" pics to make sure I've ground/cut properly but I think that is against the rules if I'm correct.

Against the rules to do what exactly? Im pretty sure you can post pictures(not sure if posting in this thread would be off topic though).
Anyway, like I said, remove any large stems and place the bud in the dish and cut slowly and carefully or place your hand over while cutting tougher parts so that herb doesnt fly everywhere. Just spread it out so you can see that its all mostly even.

Nycdeisel,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
EntRance said:

I use a small two piece aluminum space case but I also have an onyx mortar and pestle which works pretty well. However the space case was about $20 and the mortar and pestle was about $15 on ebay and the space case bests it significantly. I like the small size of the grinder, it's tidy, and if it requires that I grind more than one load that's enough of a reason for me to feel that I should have bought the medium size instead.

Unless you are intent on making your own hash, I seriously don't see the value in a four piece at all. The one thing that I do not want to do with high end herb is separate the most potent aspect of it from what I'm going to vape. I know the argument that you can sprinkle the kief in with your blend as you desire but why not leave the goodies intact as it was intended?

jeffp,

doubledown

I had mistakenly thought the Titan I ordered would be smaller, my fault. I contacted Kelly's Great Products form Ebay, the seller, and asked him if he would mind doing an exchange for the 50mm. He replied back within a couple hours and said he had no problem with that whatsoever. Told me to box it up and send it back and he would refund the difference to my ppal and ship the 50mm out with free shipping again. Seems to be an excellent seller to do business with. It is a nice looking piece and I would've kept it but it was the same size as my Mendo. Looking forward to trying out the 50mm.

doubledown,
Top Bottom