Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
What's the best way to get the kief out of the bottom and then what's the best way to vape it?
I picked up a nice little brush in a crafts store. The brush part is flat and about 1/4" across. It's just a small paint brush. Used to use one my wife's old makeup brushes, but it's a little thick. You can brush the kief off the screen as well. Add a little kief to top off a bowl, or sandwich it between two layers of bud. Kief on a bare screen is gonna leave a bit of a mess, as hash would.

max,

hereatlast

dosteov said:
Also allot of kief gets stuck on the screen too. What's the best way to scrape that off or push that through maybe?

Thanks all!
A toothbrush (designated for this use) has been my tool of choice for a while now. I made the mistake of trying to use a needle to push those particles through years ago and really messed up my screen (not visibly noticeable but kief collection slowed a lot).

I brush my whole grinder with the tooth-brush every couple weeks and then thoroughly brush the kief-catching screen...there seems to be some permanently stuck particles in the screen but the toothbrush goes a long way!

hereatlast,

Beezleb

TeddyJackEddy said:
I picked up a small aluminum brush from half baked goods. I've used it for about a year. I have a regular "bristle" brush that I had used, but it didn't seem stiff enough to get stuff out of the screen. This small metal brush works well for that purpose.

Here is the link: http://www.halfbakedgoods.net/grinder-accessories-grinder-cleaner-brush.html
That is like the one i have, works great, also works great for the Launch Box and Zephyr Screens

Beezleb,

inspiron

I got my grinder.
I've purchased the 4pcs aluminium CC but received a 5pcs one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pcs-SPACE-CHR...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230554895f
The 5pcs CC's don't have 'aluminium' in their descriptions so I've contacted the seller because I wasn't sure I got the all CNC version. The seller told me that it's the same and that I've just got lucky and received an extra screen. The odd thing is that the 5pcs+p&p costs about 1$ less than the 4pcs (it doesn't matter to me but that's the reason I thought the 4pcs was of better quality). It looks the same as the 4pcs but I've wanted to make sure with you guys.

Edit:
It looks like he's got a 5pcs CC which also says aluminium (inside it says it's a CC) so I guess it's the same. There's a small difference in price between different sales of the same item so it costs more or less the same as the 4pcs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pc-LARGE-2-5-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2303ed0f5a

inspiron,

Thulium

Easy fix for kief on the screen: Leave a dime on the screen to slide around and knock it off. :)

Thulium,

coma-boy

Just spent the last few weeks obsessing over which new grinder to buy (as sadly my old Easy-Leaf's magnets had rusted as my maid kept cleaning with bleach), and ended up with the outstanding two piece Space Case titanium alloy grinder, medium size - a little too wide, and the small is not quite wide enough, but still my favourite grinder ever.

I also own the Space Case titanium alloy 4 piece in a small size, great if I wanna collect trichomes, but main-grind drops through holes while still not fine enough.

Best way to clean is with >70% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA), on fabric wipes, and of course, a little paint-brush is perfect for dry-cleans.

coma-boy,

max

Out to lunch
inspiron said:
I got my grinder.
I've purchased the 4pcs aluminium CC but received a 5pcs one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pcs-SPACE-CHR...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230554895f
The 5pcs CC's don't have 'aluminium' in their descriptions so I've contacted the seller because I wasn't sure I got the all CNC version. The seller told me that it's the same and that I've just got lucky and received an extra screen. The odd thing is that the 5pcs+p&p costs about 1$ less than the 4pcs (it doesn't matter to me but that's the reason I thought the 4pcs was of better quality). It looks the same as the 4pcs but I've wanted to make sure with you guys.

Edit:
It looks like he's got a 5pcs CC which also says aluminium (inside it says it's a CC) so I guess it's the same. There's a small difference in price between different sales of the same item so it costs more or less the same as the 4pcs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pc-LARGE-2-5-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2303ed0f5a
Judging by the price and description, the first link is for an original steel/zinc CC model. It's a darker color than plain aluminum and much heavier-by far the heaviest grinder on the market. The newer aluminum CC usually sells for slightly more $, and has always specified that it's aluminum.

The 2nd link, according to the description, is for an Aero Space model, but the pic shows a Chromium Crusher. This seller has good prices (a little better on this site- http://merchantswholesale.ecrater.com/filter.php?&keywords=&perpage=40). I bought a 2.5" 4 pc. Sharp Crusher from him for $10 ($15 w/shipping), and I think it's the best grinder buy I've seen. These two eBay auctions are sloppy and confusing though. I'd recommend buying from the ecrater.com site. The 2.25" 4 pc. Aero Space sells for $15 (w/shipping) there. Not as good a deal, IMO, as the 2.5" Sharp Crusher for the same $, but still an excellent price.

coma-boy said:
I also own the Space Case titanium alloy 4 piece in a small size, great if I wanna collect trichomes, but main-grind drops through holes while still not fine enough.
SC grinders have large holes, except for the tiny 4 pc. Scout (3mm). The small has 5mm, and I believe the larger ones have 6mm holes.

Best way to clean is with >70% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA), on fabric wipes
ISO with a toothbrush, or something similar, is the quickest and most thorough way to clean. I also like to use 91% ISO, but 70% will do the job just fine.

max,

inspiron

This is what I received:

The color in reality is light aluminium. The seller says it's exactly the same as the 4pcs aluminium and that I just got an extra screen. What do you think?

inspiron,
I think it looks like there is only one screened piece (so where is the "extra?")
The holes in yours also seem a lot larger than mine (I have the gunmetal-colored CC)

Howie Feltersnatch,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
I've usually found that most metal crystal-catchers have too large holes and the herb falls thourgh a bit bigger than I want it. I'm sure it's not the case with all of them, just IME.
Now obviously they don't collect the trichomes, but a well-built plastic one has always been superior in turning the bud ultra-fine I've found. Plus if you're not saving the kief up, just bang the grinder on the desk and whack the crystals on top of the herb!

The one I've got now is great, a yellow one from the Green House Seed Company. Got it for free in their Coffee Shop in Amsterdam after trawling round all 4 of their shops in the city just to find the Cannabis Cup Winning Super Lemon Haze, as it had sold out in their first three. Very, very worth the effort trust me, some of the tastiest herb I've ever sampled!

wilf789,

inspiron

Howie Feltersnatch said:
I think it looks like there is only one screened piece (so where is the "extra?")
The holes in yours also seem a lot larger than mine (I have the gunmetal-colored CC)
Actually the right one is a screen as well and the left has the bottom screwed on (this is why it's taller than the screen on the right).

inspiron,

max

Out to lunch
inspiron said:
The color in reality is light aluminium. The seller says it's exactly the same as the 4pcs aluminium and that I just got an extra screen. What do you think?
That's the newer aluminum model. It's the same silver color as other aluminum grinders, and the holes (rectangular and triangular) are also a giveaway. The original steel model has many teeth and (round) holes, like a Space Case. I think using two screens with the Crusher is a waste. The one I had with 2 screens (the original model) didn't have enough difference in the mesh size. I'd use one screen-whichever one suits you better.

Howie Feltersnatch said:
They are larger, but there are a lot fewer of them, vs. the one you have (I've had both). I found that it made virtually no difference in the grind consistency.

max,

mastermorley

What's the name of the grinder Aaron has at the DNA Genetics shop? It's a very large one, definitely bigger than the large space case. It was unbranded, but it looked even better than the space case. I was just too high and I forgot to ask while I was there so does anyone happen to know?

mastermorley,

coma-boy

I no longer see the point of collecting trichomes. Not until there is a nice non-stick metal grinder on the market with small enough holes for the initial grind to fall through.

My metal two piece effortlessly gets the herb super fine, with no gauzes to mess around with, or oversized holes to prematurely end a grind. Sure those trichomes once scraped together provide a great day's vaping, but may as well consume them as going along.

Basically for vaping we need as fine as possible a grind, which really only works with a two-piece.

coma-boy,

inspiron

Thanks Max, I thought it was the new aluminium model but with all the different models I wanted to be sure.
I use just one screen, the one with bigger holes.

inspiron,

max

Out to lunch
coma-boy said:
Basically for vaping we need as fine as possible a grind,
Not true. Only a conduction vape like the LB works better with the finest grind. On most convection models, the really fine ground herb ends up getting through a screen. For some vapes, like the Vapolution and herbalAire, you don't want to grind at all.

which really only works with a two-piece.
Works with a 4 pc. too. You just have to turn it upside down for a finer grind. You do end up with a bit of a mess in the grinder section, but a quick once over with a brush clears it out. IF you want to screen kief, a 4 pc. AND a 2 pc., vs. just a 4 pc., is purely personal preference.

max,

coma-boy

max said:
Only a conduction vape like the LB works better with the finest grind. On most convection models, the really fine ground herb ends up getting through a screen. For some vapes, like the Vapolution and herbalAire, you don't want to grind at all.
Thanks Max.

Really, no grind on some? Surely more surface area is always better? The wiki page on convection just confused the hell out of me. Never thought that some vapes didn't need a grind. Then again, I know nothing of vapes 'cept my Volcano.

How grinded should Volcano fodder be?

Not even sure what the LB is, where I live that means something very different. I should RTFF, I know.

max said:
You just have to turn it upside down for a finer grind.
Aha, yes, had been doing just that, but it seemed so wrong. A dirty secret. Doesn't seem so wrong now that I've heard someone say it out loud, um, I mean here. Also some trichomes may flee their section when inverted, not that it would matter.

Luckily my 4-piece and 2-piece live in different continents so I'll be able to spend quality time alone with each.

coma-boy,

hereatlast

I remember when researching the Herbalaire that they advertise using pea sized chunks, meaning no grind; OTOH I know that some users use a fine grind even for the HA. I think that the reasoning behind the pea sized chunks is that the HA can pulse hot air through the product itself (or enough to penetrate the inner trichs), but not sure on that, can someone explain that?

I think the LB is the LaunchBox?

I've definitely found that a finer grind produces a thicker vapor (Extreme elbow-pack) and I too am having trouble thinking of an explanation as to why less surface area would be better; would not grinding mean less trichome disturbance?

coma-boy said:
Really, no grind on some? Surely more surface area is always better? The wiki page on convection just confused the hell out of me. Never thought that some vapes didn't need a grind. Then again, I know nothing of vapes 'cept my Volcano.

Not even sure what the LB is, where I live that means something very different. I should RTFF, I know.

hereatlast,

tokenitup

I have, my shit is way too sticky to do that though. I lose a ton of brown shit all on the sides and top of the coffee *edit* grinder (I'm a little high....).

tokenitup,

max

Out to lunch
coma-boy said:
Really, no grind on some?
Only a few. And only the herbalAire and Vapolution come to mind, but I know there have been a couple of others, like the Vapo, that were whip style with no screen, just a glass dimple. IMO that design is a poor one when wand/tubing diameter is standard size, and those have been failures. The Vapo only works because of the small diameter of the bowl. Unlike the herbalAire, using pieces with the Vapo is a compromise, and sometimes you have to eject the piece and turn it around to get the other side vaped.

hereatlast said:
I know that some users use a fine grind even for the HA
That's really a bad idea unless you add another screen in the bowl/crucible (above the herb), to prevent small particles from getting through the main mouthpiece and into the tubing/bag. The main mouthpiece (unless they've changed it) has a very coarse mesh and a lot of herb will go through. I'm sure they were forced to use a coarse screen because they found that a finer one would get clogged too easily. In the past, I've only used ground in the herbie when I had no pieces, and added the 2nd screen of course. The herbalAire design, as far as the way hot air enters the bowl, is just so good for penetrating chunks that there's no advantage to using ground. I've used this model extensively in the past and have inspected many pieces of ABV, even from bricked weed, and they've all been thoroughly cooked.

I think the LB is the LaunchBox?
Yep. It's mostly conduction, and that style does much better with very fine ground. The LB screen is so fine that you don't have to worry about herb falling through, and like other conduction models, it does best when the herb particles are so small that each one gets fully cooked from contact with the surface. Larger pieces, like the back end of a piece in the Vapolution, don't get enough heat to fully cook the off side of the piece. Convection vapes (the vast majority of 'good vapes') have the hot air going through the bowl, so especially if you stir, and vape the particular load long enough, it's a ton easier to get it all fully cooked.

coma-boy said:
As fine as you want, as long as you don't see small particles escaping from the herb chamber. I've also seen a 'cano owner or two say they've had excellent success using pieces instead of ground. In general, I think bag fillers do a better job, efficiency wise, due to the steady stream of hot air coming through. A passive whip vape adds the human element into the mix, as far as the lungs being less efficient than an air pump or fan.

tokenitup said:
I lose a ton of brown shit all on the sides and top of the coffee *edit* grinder
Yeah. Coffee grinders are better for mid grade. The better the herb, the less efficient an electric grinder is. A lot of surface area there is a bad thing. Much easier to reclaim leftovers from a hand grinder. Same for grinding with your fingers. Pretty much all you can do with your sticky fingers is suck 'em. This is also where an anodized grinder shines. The anodized coating (if it's good, like a MixnBall) allows less sticky bud to adhere to the grinder.

max,
Top Bottom