Herb Grinders

claypool

meh, i made my point as did max.

btw, smoking .025g of weed a night is INCREDIBLE. you should post that you only smoke .025 of bud a night....every chance you get.... cuz its very very cool. it really is amazing. congratz. :rolleyes:

anyway here is the grinder i posted about, highly recommended if you don't want to spend a bill on a grinder and want a quality product.

sharpstone_4pc_25_black__12421.jpg

claypool,

lwien

claypool said:
btw, smoking .025g of weed a night is INCREDIBLE. you should post that you only smoke .025 of bud a night....every chance you get.... cuz its very very cool. it really is amazing. congratz. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I probably say that a bit too much, but he was asking why I use a small grinder versus a large one, so within that context, it made sense as part of the explanation as to why I don't need a larger grinder. I'm really not saying that because I think it's cool. lol. I quit trying to be cool a very, very long time ago. I usually just bring it up as a point of context but I will try to refrain from using that and try to use other words as you are not the only one that has mentioned this to me. Repeating things seems to increase with age. :uhoh:

I'll do a bit of editing on that post.........

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
claypool said:
dude, from what i see...you've never even owned a Sharpstone, Iwein. buy one if you want to talk shit about the company please. theyre awesome grinders. highly recommended. I've own the $20 ebay 4-piece for months and no problems yet :D
As I stated, I've never owned a Sharpstone either. But I've seen people post pics of broken and bent teeth. Some are obviously far from awesome, for whatever reason.

Forums are all about differing opinions. You need to let others express theirs, without trying to impose rules.

And here you need to back out of trolling territory. It'll get you into trouble.

lwien said:
I've seen this metal shaving, bent teeth issue being reported on just about every grinder made with the exception of SpaceCases and Cosmics.
The only brand names I've seen in this category are Sharpstone, TrueBlendz, and the original Chromium Crusher (which isn't all CNC). I've been using cheap ones for years from KGP (eBay) with no problems, and the newer CNC aluminum Crusher is not only high quality IMO, but the teeth have a better cutting design than either SC or Cosmic (standard diamond shape). MixnBall also has the improved tooth design (I've owned 5 MB models), and no failure problems either (company issues are another story :rolleyes: ). Never heard any complaints about the Kannastor brand either. I think there are a lot of good, affordable grinders out there, and this thread is great for showcasing some of those. I do think it's a good idea to try to get a guarantee from the seller. If they won't stand behind their product, you can find others who will.

max,

iceshark

Ice Man
Thanks for the help with recomending a grinder for my launch box. I am a casual user that just got back into the hobby after being out of it for about 20 years. Back in for med reasons and I LIKE IT> I am not hip on the new slang. What is Kief? I want to crush for my LB, leaning towards the cronium crusher for the price. 2 piece ? 4 piece? I just want an inexpesive one that works well. ebay? amazon? website?:peace:

iceshark,

lwien

max said:
lwien said:
I've seen this metal shaving, bent teeth issue being reported on just about every grinder made with the exception of SpaceCases and Cosmics.
The only brand names I've seen in this category are Sharpstone, TrueBlendz, and the original Chromium Crusher (which isn't all CNC). I've been using cheap ones for years from KGP (eBay) with no problems, and the newer CNC aluminum Crusher is not only high quality IMO, but the teeth have a better cutting design than either SC or Cosmic (standard diamond shape). MixnBall also has the improved tooth design (I've owned 5 MB models), and no failure problems either (company issues are another story :rolleyes: ). Never heard any complaints about the Kannastor brand either. I think there are a lot of good, affordable grinders out there, and this thread is great for showcasing some of those. I do think it's a good idea to try to get a guarantee from the seller. If they won't stand behind their product, you can find others who will.
Yeah, that's why I qualified it with "just about". Thanks for the clarification on the other grinders with no apparent problems. If I'm ever in the market for another grinder, I'll have to keep those in mind.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
The LB really benefits from a fine grind. You need to grind a little longer for a finer grind-2 pc. or 4 (and you can only extend the grind time on a 4 pc. by turning it upside down and avoiding the holes).

Kief is the most potent part of the plant, and with a grinder, you lose less than by using your fingers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kief

Screening it with a 4 pc. just lets you add it back to a bowl as you please, instead of having it mixed in with the rest of the ground bud, as you'd get with a 2 pc. grinder.

leaning towards the cronium crusher for the price
With this brand, I'd be sure to get the newer CNC aluminum model. An eBay seller has the 2.5" for $20.95, or you can get one with a 3 yr. warranty for a few more bucks here- http://www.vaporizerdealer.com/coll...s/2-25-4pcs-cnc-chromium-crusher-herb-grinder

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Max, I think "having it mixed in with the rest of the ground bud" is pretty awesome; you're getting the total full value of a bud.

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
jeffp said:
Max, I think "having it mixed in with the rest of the ground bud" is pretty awesome; you're getting the total full value of a bud.
Sure, but screening allows you you to vary the potency of a particular bowl, depending on your mood. I like the option it provides. I think options are awesome. ;)

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Right, but I can't envision a scenario where I'd prefer to have less potency.
That said, I tend to only vaporize when I'm done with the daily or nightly or familial responsibilities; my imbibing is compartmentalized as something special off to the side.

jeffp,
max said:
Sure, but screening allows you you to vary the potency of a particular bowl, depending on your mood. I like the option it provides. I think options are awesome. ;)
I definitely prefer "options" to "no options" when asked.

I have a 4-pc chromium crusher and am loving it. Very efficient and effective. I then process the crushed material with an old-timey hand-crank flour sifter that makes perfectly-sized particles for vaping in a stem-type vape and leaves behind stems and/or seeds. Nice fine grind without being powder. I haven't done anything with my kief (not much there yet) but am leaning toward ingestion. No rush as I don't feel I am missing out on anything so far. :)

Howie Feltersnatch,

max

Out to lunch
I can't envision a scenario where I'd prefer to have less potency.
Me, I'm big on that. I love to have 2-3 different varieties. Screening kief is another method for achieving that.

I tend to only vaporize when I'm done with the daily or nightly or familial responsibilities
Same here, but that still gives me all night (until bedtime anyway).

Howie Feltersnatch said:
an old-timey hand-crank flour sifter that makes perfectly-sized particles
That's a new one on me. Interesting. I may have to start browsing houseware departments.

max,

Beezleb

I find I dont really miss "not" screening the kief and I really enjoy the pressed kief more than having it go with a regular grind with kief on.

With that said, I believe this is a thing that is subjective to each user. I had originally thought I would prefer the herb with kief not removed but for myself, its a small sacrifice for a larger reward. Perhaps a pure recreational user might have a different view but from a medical use and part recreational use I find it has helped me greatly.

I do feel for me its a livable compromise but if I did not use in part for pain and nausea issues than perhaps the compromise might not seem worth it to me.

I do find pressed hash is also very beneficial for getting through dry times, rather luxury like but for those who dont have those issue its mute and for those who view the issue differently, I wholly understand but I would evaluate if you can. Try a bowl from a grinder with a kief catcher versus a 2 piece and see how it plays out for you. I can live with it. I do notice a bowl with the kief removed and have done the pepsi challenge as they say in several occurrences and even tried with someone else and its certainly detectable but in my experience and with my preference its slight enough to merit the gain with a nice plug of pressed kief/hash from a time to time.

However, I do not have much experience with higher quality product.

Beezleb,

iceshark

Ice Man
Thanks for the info. I loved Hash back in the day. Always wondered how it was made. My buddy used to make oil out of home grown herbs with an Izomizer back then. So it sounds like you can sprinkle the Kief to regulate the potency of the vape or save and make your own hash balls with it?

iceshark,

inspiron

Can someone please give me an ebay link to the CNC Chromium Crusher? Is it the one sold by 'liteup4less' for 16.99$ Or the one sold by 'merchants-wholesale' for 20.95$?
(I thought the cnc model was 2.25")

BTW, is the screen gauge OK on this one?

inspiron,

max

Out to lunch
inspiron said:
Can someone please give me an ebay link to the CNC Chromium Crusher? Is it the one sold by 'liteup4less' for 16.99$ Or the one sold by 'merchants-wholesale' for 20.95$?
(I thought the cnc model was 2.25")

BTW, is the screen gauge OK on this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/4PC-SPACE-ALUMI...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588694d368

The newer, all CNC model, is aluminum (merchants-wholesale auction). That seller also sells the original model, but lists it as non aluminum. There are now both 2.25" and 2.5" versions of the newer aluminum model.

The original alloy model is much heavier than any other (aluminum) grinder you'll find. It seems to copy the many teeth, many hole design of the Space Case. The newer design, with the lighter weight aluminum, is close in weight to the SC, but differs in the grinding design. It has fewer teeth (makes for easier loading), and fewer holes, although the holes are large. In use, I haven't seen that fewer teeth and larger holes makes any noticeable difference in the grind consistency, and you can always start your grinding upside down for a finer grind. I much prefer the easier loading you get with fewer teeth, so I like the aluminum design better. If you like the idea of a heavy grinder, with a lot of teeth, get the original, non aluminum model.

Mesh size on the screen is purely personal preference. The Crusher has a fine mesh. It's comparable to the SC, maybe slightly finer.

max,

greenganja

I've had a Chromium Crusher and Sharp Stone. The Chromium Crusher did produce some tiny little metallic looking flakes the first few times I used it, so I just did a about three dry grinds with no herbs in the grinder and got any of the loose metal shavings taken care of. Eventually I gave the CC to a friend and purchased a medium sized 4 pc. Sharp Stone. So I was grinding some herbs with the Sharpie and it seemed a little hard to turn like it was stuck or something. I forced it and it broke off two of the teeth and a week later I bent another one. I threw the Sharp Stone in the trash and purchased a medium sized Space Case. The Space Case worked so good that I purchased the largest two piece Space Case along with a Wicca Box. Now I just use the medium SC for travel purposes and mainly use the large SC for home use. I have had the Space Grinders now for three years and still no broken or bent teeth. In fact I like the product so much that I purchased six of the medium sized Space Cases for Christmas presents to friends. I feel like the Space Cases are on the expensive end, but I don't mind paying the price for a quality product. After doing the math I opted not to get the 4 piece Space Case as I figured that I could buy the large two piece SC and get a Wicca box and come out about the same price, plus the Wicca box seems to produce a little more kief than than what the stainless steel mesh screen in a grinder could produce. I've also used a coffee grinder in the past. You have to be careful using a Coffee grinder to not grind it too much so that it doesn't turn into a dusty consistency.

greenganja,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
^^ nice to know you are liking your wicca man. I have been trying to research the pros and cons of a metal screen vs silk but to no avail. This might sound crazy, but I keep getting the feeling that wood or silk are porous and will absorb my goodies over time :D Is that really that idiotic a line of thought though, he wonders, apprehensively, fearing the fallibility of his frail logic :D:D

But yeah man, I too am loving the sifter/kif box and 2 pc combo, it really does rock!

obelisk,

Flyer

'Howie Feltersnatch wrote:
an old-timey hand-crank flour sifter that makes perfectly-sized particles
That's a new one on me. Interesting. I may have to start browsing houseware departments.'
this is what I use other then my fingers, I am still am way confussed as to which grinder is the one.( it is actually a herb grinder from a cooking store.) not flour

Flyer,

dosteov

Hey guys I have the Chromium Grinder 4 piece. What's the best way to get the kief out of the bottom and then what's the best way to vape it? Also allot of kief gets stuck on the screen too. What's the best way to scrape that off or push that through maybe?

I'm using the MZ vape and honestly am really loving it. It's a great vape.

Thanks all!

dosteov,
Top Bottom