Herb Grinders

Lucic77

Question. How do you guys get the pollen out of the bottom of the grinder's pollen catcher? I just bought a couple of cheap glass jars to hold it and I don't want to lose any in the transfer process. :p

Thanks.

Lucic77,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Lucic77 said:
chucku said:
Earlier this week I got a small 4 piece Space Case scout ($40.00 from Wheezers Tobacco in Lombard, IL) to grind for my IO, LB and VG. I would have preferred the medium or large but only the small was available. It produces a very fine fluffy grind that works very well with the aforementioned portables. It does have very small holes which contribute to the fine consistency as well as requiring a lot more twisting than my larger Space Case. Storage capacity is limited 2 loads of ground material but since I use a film can for portables storage this should not be an issue and due to its size can only grind small amounts at a time. All said, a very high quality product requiring a bit more effort.
Any chance you could post a pic or two of the Space Case Scout? Would love to see the teeth/holes and just how small the unit is next to a coin or something relative. Hope you are enjoying it.
This is exactly the item I got. Diameter is 1 1/4", height is 1 1/2" and according to Captain Hits (Mr. Grateful Buys) the holes are 3 mm. It is working great so far.

http://www.vapeworld.com/herb-grind...small-4pc-space-case-scout-mag-grinder-sifter

chucku,

Lucic77

chucku said:
Lucic77 said:
chucku said:
Earlier this week I got a small 4 piece Space Case scout ($40.00 from Wheezers Tobacco in Lombard, IL) to grind for my IO, LB and VG. I would have preferred the medium or large but only the small was available. It produces a very fine fluffy grind that works very well with the aforementioned portables. It does have very small holes which contribute to the fine consistency as well as requiring a lot more twisting than my larger Space Case. Storage capacity is limited 2 loads of ground material but since I use a film can for portables storage this should not be an issue and due to its size can only grind small amounts at a time. All said, a very high quality product requiring a bit more effort.
Any chance you could post a pic or two of the Space Case Scout? Would love to see the teeth/holes and just how small the unit is next to a coin or something relative. Hope you are enjoying it.
This is exactly the item I got. Diameter is 1 1/4", height is 1 1/2" and according to Captain Hits (Mr. Grateful Buys) the holes are 3 mm. It is working great so far.

http://www.vapeworld.com/herb-grind...small-4pc-space-case-scout-mag-grinder-sifter
Great, thanks!

I never saw that link for some reason. I think this thing is really tiny. Should be good for the extra grind that I hear a PD likes.

Lucic77,

standard

King Kong said:
Lucic77 said:
Question. How do you guys get the pollen out of the bottom of the grinder's pollen catcher? I just bought a couple of cheap glass jars to hold it and I don't want to lose any in the transfer process. :p

Thanks.

[url]http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6799/l77kj.th.jpg[/url]
i use a cheap plastic spoon i got from the dollar store to scoop it from the grinder to the bowl
The 4pc Sharpstone I received recently comes with a little scraper for this purpose. I'm not sure where to put the scraper when not in use. It's so small, losing it seems to be very easy to do. Does anyone store it in one of the chambers, or...?

standard,

max

Out to lunch
If your kief collector is clean, it's easy to use a soft brush (I use a small makeup brush) to transfer your kief to a container. If you leave the kief in the grinder collector too long, I find that it starts to stick, due to normal room humidity, and then you do have to do some scraping. I keep kief collectors clean and don't really have a need for those plastic triangles.

max,

rubbersoul

finally finished reading through this thread :o :lol:

i'm currently a vapor virgin. i decided to try vaporizing for the health benefits, efficiency, and taste :). after looking through the forums here and chatting with some people in the live chat, i decided to order a purple days. while i'm anxiously awaiting its arrival, i've taken interest in deciding what accessories to purchase. first up, a grinder. i've never used a grinder before, so when i came across this thread and started reading about kief catchers and 4 pc grinders i got excited.

i decided early on that i wanted a 4 pc grinder to collect kief. first i thought that i would get a mix n ball because they seemed to offer the quality i desired, but without the super premium price tag; i later read about all the problems people were having ordering through dave or dan or whoever he was, so i was turned off. then people were raving over cosmics and space cases, but they were a bit outside of what i wanted to spend (although i debated it thoroughly in my head).

finally, after all the talk about various hole spacings and sizes, i decided the best route for me would be to get a 2 pc grinder and a stash jar with a kief collector. this way i can get the premium quality of a space case, cosmic, or mix n ball at a fraction of the cost while obtaining that elusive fine grind optimal for the pd (no messing around with upside-down grinders). i figure i'll just buy a cheapo sifter with it for kief collection.

these are the things i'm looking for in my grinder now:
anodized surface
lifetime quality
2-2.5"
2pc

this has me thinking mix n ball, cosmic, or space case. i can get the space case for ~$21-$25 using our discount at gratefulbuys. the mix n ball is ~$17. not sure about the cosmic.

i still have a few questions:

for people who have the small and/or medium space case (2pc), how many grams can you grind at a time for each size?

has the issue with mix n ball's service been addressed? also, on the website, it says aluminum coating but doesn't specify that it is the organic anodized coating. is this the right thing?

where is the preferred place to buy cosmic grinders? i would imagine i should be able to get it at or below the space case price, but i haven't had luck finding such pricing.

as far as keif catchers go, i want something that mimics the 4pc, but without the grinder portion (an alternative 3pc if you will). i'd like it to be about the same size as the grinder, maybe a bit larger (2.5-3"). where is a good place to find these? the only ones i've found are rather expensive or way too big for my needs. i figure i should be able to get a nice one for less than $20 since the chromium crusher seems to come with a nice kief collection system at that price (including the grinder).

thanks for the help :)

and yes, i'm that guy that stands in the aisles of stores for hours going over the pros and cons of all the products they have to offer :p :lol:

rubbersoul,

max

Out to lunch
mix n ball, cosmic, or space case
I've got all three brands and prefer the MB. Haven't used the Cosmic or SC two piece though. SC 4 pc. has too many teeth for my taste. I've used two 4 pc. Cosmics and wasn't that impressed. MB grinders don't scratch, stay cleaner with use, and clean easy when the time comes. Hard to beat the Classic for $16.50 delivered. The owner doesn't believe in o-rings, so a MB isn't silent when grinding. I don't care about that. You're done in seconds anyway.

how many grams can you grind at a time for each size?
I don't know if you can even get 1g in a grinder this size. I like to break up pieces and load between the teeth. If you don't, you have to crush before you grind. If the herb is dry you'll end up flinging pieces everywhere before you get the top and bottom closed together.

has the issue with mix n ball's service been addressed?
In the past, you could count on a delay if your choice wasn't in stock. If it's an issue for you, make sure he's got stock. As for other aspects of service, you've got a 5 yr. warranty, and he stands behind it.
on the website, it says aluminum coating but doesn't specify that it is the organic anodized coating. is this the right thing?
They're all anodized. A medium gray color. Scratch proof, easy cleaning-it's the brand I almost always grab to grind with, 2 pc. or 4.

As for kief collectors, a 4 pc. grinder is the cheapest, easiet way to go unless you make you own, like with a mason jar and screen from a hardware store. If you want a nice shaker box, I recommend Exotic Zombie. You can get a nice 4 x 7 box for $40. http://www.exoticzombie.com/store.htm

the chromium crusher seems to come with a nice kief collection system at that price (including the grinder).
I like the CC. Great value. And I prefer the newer aluminum all CNC style vs. the much heavier steel/zinc model. But the screens they use are too fine for my taste. May suit you though. I just prefer quantity over quality when it comes to collecting kief. If $ is a factor, and you want a 2 pc. grinder, I'd make my own kief collector.

max,

Lucic77

I got my 4pc Space Case scout today, so I took some quick pics for anyone interested. I put it next to the 4pc Medium for comparison shots.

Lucic77,
Reactions: The Fork

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Okay, I am new to vaping and new to grinding. I'm old school and in the past always just used scissors to chop my bud, or just pinched some off with my fingers.

So I get the idea that for at least most vaporizers you need the bud to be ground somewhat fine and it helps if it's also somewhat dry, not too sticky.

But what I don't "get" is this: since the kief is high THC, why would you not want to smoke it with your bud? Why separate it? If you separate it, then the bud you are smoking - minus the kief - is less potent, no? Or is it that if you don't separate it out, you somehow "waste" the kief? I'm not sure what the point of separating the kief is. Seems to me you've be generally vaping lower potency herb and then when you vape the kief you'd be vaping super high potency THC. Why not just vape it as it grows - with "normal" amount of kief/THC in the bud?

Admin: maybe a FAQ on some of these newbie questions would be a good idea, as a sticky at the top of the forum? (By the way, I read the thread on how to do searches and I still can't seem to get anywhere with searching - my search just seems to lead me to the THREAD -sometimes with 50 pages in it - not the specific post I'm looking for. Maybe I need to read it again, but I thought I was doing it right.)

MoeOnTheMoon,

Lucic77

MoeOnTheMoon said:
Okay, I am new to vaping and new to grinding. I'm old school and in the past always just used scissors to chop my bud, or just pinched some off with my fingers.

So I get the idea that for at least most vaporizers you need the bud to be ground somewhat fine and it helps if it's also somewhat dry, not too sticky.

But what I don't "get" is this: since the kief is high THC, why would you not want to smoke it with your bud? Why separate it? If you separate it, then the bud you are smoking - minus the kief - is less potent, no? Or is it that if you don't separate it out, you somehow "waste" the kief? I'm not sure what the point of separating the kief is. Seems to me you've be generally vaping lower potency herb and then when you vape the kief you'd be vaping super high potency THC. Why not just vape it as it grows - with "normal" amount of kief/THC in the bud?

Admin: maybe a FAQ on some of these newbie questions would be a good idea, as a sticky at the top of the forum? (By the way, I read the thread on how to do searches and I still can't seem to get anywhere with searching - my search just seems to lead me to the THREAD -sometimes with 50 pages in it - not the specific post I'm looking for. Maybe I need to read it again, but I thought I was doing it right.)
I had a lot of your same questions. This is all new to me as well.

What I got through reading on this forum and a few other places was that most vapes in general work better off of well ground herbs. Some, like the PD, work even more efficiently if the herb is well grounded.

Next, there are more than one way to achieve this. Fingers work but you can end up losing a lot of the pollen on your fingers and under your fingernails without knowing it. Scissors work well, but I guess there is a limit as to the grind you can get that way without potentially cutting yourself. I think i have read some posters here say they use scissors only though. That may work.

Some people use coffee grinders, though there is a danger of over grinding, so if you go that route, keep an eye on it. This method appears to be not for everyone, but those who do use them really enjoy it.

That leaves grinders. The good thing about the grinder, if you use one that has a screen and pollen catcher, is that you theoretically get to keep all the pollen that falls off during the break up grinding process. Some people use the pollen right away and mix it or put it on top of their herbs. Others save it and use it a bit, and some keep it to make concentrates.

I don't think the idea is that you want to separate the pollen from the herbs, but it just happens due to the break-up process (fingers, grinders, coffee grinders, scissors, etc.) No rules, just preferred methods that work for you. I am sure there is a lot I am forgetting, but other posters can correct me if I f'd up. ;)

Lucic77,

lwien

Lucic77 said:
Scissors work well, but I guess there is a limit as to the grind you can get that way without potentially cutting yourself.
No limit if you use a scissors and a shot glass.

lwien,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Lucic77 said:
I don't think the idea is that you want to separate the pollen from the herbs, but it just happens due to the break-up process (fingers, grinders, coffee grinders, scissors, etc.) No rules, just preferred methods that work for you. I am sure there is a lot I am forgetting, but other posters can correct me if I f'd up. ;)
It seems that some people DO purposely want to separate the kief and that's why they buy a grinder with a screen in the bottom that puts the kief in a lower compartment. That's the part I'm asking about. To me, on the face of it, it makes no sense to take the kief out of what you are vaping. But I'm sure it DOES make sense, so I need someone to explain it to me. Why do you want to separate the kief out instead of leaving it with your herb, as in a standard 2 part grinder?

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
lwien said:
Lucic77 said:
Scissors work well, but I guess there is a limit as to the grind you can get that way without potentially cutting yourself.
Why a shot glass?
Some have said that scissors don't work as well as a grinder. I suppose it comes down to a matter of preference in the end, just like vapes.

MoeOnTheMoon,

rubbersoul

@moe: the reason why collecting the pollen is attractive to me is the control it'll give me over the potency of what i'm consuming. sometimes, i want to get ripped, and other times i just want a little thc. you can control this somewhat by adjusting the quantity you consume, but separating the pollen gives you another level of control. since i break up my weed with my fingers at the moment, i suspect i won't even notice a loss in potency since i'm losing a bunch of the pollen to my fingers anyway.

you're not really gaining anything from collecting the kief unless your current method of grinding/crushing involves the loss of kief (i.e. with your fingers). it really is just about preference and control from what i can gather.

rubbersoul,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Okay, so when separating the kief you are indeed getting less high on the kief-less herb, then, right?
And then you have the option of putting the kief on - more or less to suit you?
If that is the case, then it makes sense to me, if you want that option.

MoeOnTheMoon,

lwien

MoeOnTheMoon said:
lwien said:
Lucic77 said:
Why a shot glass?
So you don't have to hold the bud with your fingers. Just put the bud in the bottom of a shot glass and cut away. The shot glass also helps from bud flying all over the place when you cut it.

I have a titanium SpaceCase grinder that is now relegated to very short term storage and a bit of keif collection. I cut up about 4 days supply in the shot glass and then pour it onto the top of the screen in the grinder. I find that with a scissors and shot glass, I can get more of a fine consistent grind than I can with the grinder and it tends to knock off less of the trichs then if I mash the buds up in the grinder. After much experimentation, I find this works best for me and mah PD.

lwien,

rubbersoul

MoeOnTheMoon said:
Okay, so when separating the kief you are indeed getting less high on the kief-less herb, then, right?
And then you have the option of putting the kief on - more or less to suit you?
If that is the case, then it makes sense to me, if you want that option.
yes, you'll be getting less high, but it is probably debatable whether you'd actually notice the difference or not. imagine you order gin and tonics often, but before you drink them you run them through an apparatus that extracts a drop of pure alcohol from the drink. now what drink is less potent, although it might be difficult for you to tell. after a while, those drops add up, and you could place an extra shot of pure alcohol in your drink if you wish. now that, you'll undoubtedly notice.

same idea with saving your change over long periods of time. you don't notice the cash flow hit because it is so small every time, but over time you'll accumulate enough to get something nice with it. and that concludes my analogies for the day :lol:

rubbersoul,

Lucic77

MoeOnTheMoon said:
Lucic77 said:
It seems that some people DO purposely want to separate the kief and that's why they buy a grinder with a screen in the bottom that puts the kief in a lower compartment. That's the part I'm asking about. To me, on the face of it, it makes no sense to take the kief out of what you are vaping. But I'm sure it DOES make sense, so I need someone to explain it to me. Why do you want to separate the kief out instead of leaving it with your herb, as in a standard 2 part grinder?
Well, I think you and I are in the same position. Both get high quality herbs, and are about to make the transition to vaping with a PD. As of now, I do not grind my herbs for my combustible sherlock bubbler while I wait for the PD. But I have grinded about 10 times to test because I will need to grind or do some method for the PD.

With a 2pc. grinder I've used, I find I lose some pollen with about a 50% chance of getting the pollen back via tapping it on the table, etc. But a lot sticks to the grinder and that is that. I guess you could scrape later, etc. But with a 4pc., I am not necessarily seeking to only get pollen, but I realize that is a byproduct of grinding so I then seek to save what I can. I hope that makes sense. But you're right, many people do in fact seek out pollen primarily.

Also, I have found no difference in the effects of the herb via grinding. Dare I say, even through combustion, I am getting a same/better effect? I can't figure it out other than it may open some ares of trichs that a simple finger break couldn't expose. No pollen used yet for me, just collecting it.

Hope this helps. That equation of making high quality herbs less potent didn't make sense to me either.

Lucic77,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
rubbersoul, I see what you're saying. Now it's beginning to make sense to me. You're just shaking off SOME of the THC or kief so you don't really miss it and then later you can really have some nice stuff to vape. I like the idea, actually. ;)

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
lwien said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
lwien said:
Why a shot glass?
So you don't have to hold the bud with your fingers. Just put the bud in the bottom of a shot glass and cut away. The shot glass also helps from bud flying all over the place when you cut it.

I have a titanium SpaceCase grinder that is now relegated to very short term storage and a bit of keif collection. I cut up about 4 days supply in the shot glass and then pour it onto the top of the screen in the grinder. I find that with a scissors and shot glass, I can get more of a fine consistent grind than I can with the grinder and it tends to knock off less of the trichs then if I mash the buds up in the grinder. After much experimentation, I find this works best for me and mah PD.
lwien, that's the old school approach that I am familiar with. Though I never used a shot glass, just a white paper or big 35mm movie filmcan-top from the can that I used to keep all my stuff in.

I guess some want to collect the trichs which is one reason for using that type of grinder, and maybe not a bad idea. I might try it but in the past I have always just done it the "old fashioned way" with scissors.

By the way, I find that scissors designed for hair cutting are very good because they have a smaller profile and narrower blades and cut very well, and have that extra curved piece coming out of the circle your index finger goes in, for your middle finger, which gives you a bit more control of the scissors. I suppose surgical scissors might be even better?

MoeOnTheMoon,
Top Bottom