Herb Grinders

lwien

MoeOnTheMoon said:
lwien said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
Why a shot glass?
So you don't have to hold the bud with your fingers. Just put the bud in the bottom of a shot glass and cut away. The shot glass also helps from bud flying all over the place when you cut it.

I have a titanium SpaceCase grinder that is now relegated to very short term storage and a bit of keif collection. I cut up about 4 days supply in the shot glass and then pour it onto the top of the screen in the grinder. I find that with a scissors and shot glass, I can get more of a fine consistent grind than I can with the grinder and it tends to knock off less of the trichs then if I mash the buds up in the grinder. After much experimentation, I find this works best for me and mah PD.
lwien, that's the old school approach that I am familiar with. Though I never used a shot glass, just a white paper or big 35mm movie filmcan-top from the can that I used to keep all my stuff in.

I guess some want to collect the trichs which is one reason for using that type of grinder, and maybe not a bad idea. I might try it but in the past I have always just done it the "old fashioned way" with scissors.

By the way, I find that scissors designed for hair cutting are very good because they have a smaller profile and narrower blades and cut very well, and have that extra curved piece coming out of the circle your index finger goes in, for your middle finger, which gives you a bit more control of the scissors. I suppose surgical scissors might be even better?
Might be. I just use a pair of stainless steel scissors, and I also collect some of the trichs by storing a short term supply in the grinder.

lwien,

Psymon

I've got what looks like a space case, that came with my SSV. Its the best Grinder I've used. The teeth are nicely designed and very little of the plant matter is stuck in the top. Nylon sleeves to prevent wear.. IT works extremely well. I'm impressed... I retired my head shop special $20 cheapo for this luxuary model heh.

Psymon,

Ash

vaporist
Well, I went off the recommendations here and ordered a mix'n ball. that was one month ago. the order still hasn't shipped and i can't get a response to my emails or phone calls, so i would strongly advise against ordering directly from their website.
:mad:

Ash,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
Ash said:
Well, I went off the recommendations here and ordered a mix'n ball. that was one month ago. the order still hasn't shipped and i can't get a response to my emails or phone calls, so i would strongly advise against ordering directly from their website.
Thanks for the warning, I'm in the market for one and trying to decide...
If these companies want to do more business, they have to value the customers by getting their orders to them in a reasonable amount of time.

MoeOnTheMoon,

trouble ethyl

Am I the only one who prefers a plastic grinder to a metal grinder?

I have both and find myself using the plastic grinder i got with my volcano over my 4 part metal grinder. I feel like the holes in the metal grinder are too large. They don't allow the herb to be ground as fine as i like it. Am i the only one?

Sorry if this has already been discussed on this thread. With 36 pages, i couldn't look at them all.

trouble ethyl,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I know what you mean about the 36 pages! I don't think it's fair for someone to have to read through all 36 pages to find something... and the search engine is a bit difficult to get good answers with.

I don't know, but I would be concerned about tiny microscopic bits of plastic getting in with the bud. Call me crazy. I don't even like aluminum for that reason. I know it's a totally different thing but I just read a bunch of stuff about how plastic water bottles can leech BPA into your system and BPA can really eff with your homones. I quit buying plastic water bottles when I heard that.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Choism

I swear by the storz & bickel grinder that comes with the volcano.
This acrylic grinder will grind your buds extra fine in seconds, and it's only about $ 5 bucks.
I don't even bother with my space case anymore.

Choism,

niall

theorybullet said:

I have both and find myself using the plastic grinder i got with my volcano over my 4 part metal grinder. I feel like the holes in the metal grinder are too large. They don't allow the herb to be ground as fine as i like it. Am i the only one?
Nah mate same here. The best grinder I've used was a cheap $5 plastic one, better than S&B's grinder and both were better grinders than the Space Case 4 piece I bought recently. Shark toothed with minimal gaps between the teeth blades - wins every time when you're looking for a fine grind. The flat topped teeth on CNC grinders always end up collecting gunk imho.

But I like magnets, solid construction, a near airtight storage area and kif collection. So hopefully someone can eventually replicate this on the CNC grinders or produce a decent plastic grinder. Hell even a plastic teeth insert in a metal or wood grinder would be worth investigating.

But yeah fine grind, plastic shark teeth with a transparent body so you can see when to stop grinding :2c:

niall,

choding

Storz & Bickel grinder
19_0.jpg

Choism said:
This acrylic grinder will grind your buds extra fine
Choism said:
I don't even bother with my space case anymore.
Are you implying the Storz & Bickel grinder works better than the Space Case grinder?

Or did you mean 'dont even bother' as in,

'since their grinding function is the same, why bother using a heavy one?'

If its the prior, then it is definitely something the future consumers will consider.

However,

I think the focus here, is not on plastic vs metal

theorybullet said:
I have both and find myself using the plastic grinder i got with my volcano over my 4 part metal grinder.
niall said:
The best grinder I've used was a cheap $5 plastic one, better than S&B's grinder and both were better grinders than the Space Case 4 piece I bought recently
(assuming your plastic ginders are 2pc. grinders)

the focus is on a combination of 2pc. vs 4pc. and plastic vs metal

People are comparing their plastic grinders with Space Case 4pc grinders, but these comparisons cannot be valid until you have used the 2pc space case.

The argument
My 2pc plastic grinder grinds better than my 4pc metal grinder(Top brand)
Therefore plastic > metal

Is a weak argument.

You can try the

Titanium Space Case 2pc Mag Grinder
med-tit-spacecase-disk-base2.png

or an alternative

theorybullet said:
I feel like the holes in the metal grinder are too large. They don't allow the herb to be ground as fine as i like it.
Grinding upside down so the holes are at the top. (not sure if it will work)

choding,

SmogTown

The upside down thing works. When I want a finer grind with my cheapo grinder I just off upside down before flipping it. Experiment even if you mess up to can still vape the results :).

SmogTown,

trouble ethyl

i'll try flipping my grinder upside down. maybe even invest in a 2 pc. i'm not saying plastic is better, i'm just saying my cheap plastic grinder works great. i don't feel the need to drop money for something that i don't really need.

i do prefer a magnetic lid though.

to you metal supporters: is a 2 pc. grinder really worth $30 when i get great results with a plastic grinder? what makes a metal one better?

i just want to see if this is worth an investment. thanks for the help.

trouble ethyl,

aero18

vaporist
Ash said:
Got fucked over early this year from Mix'n'Ball. I ordered a double screen grinder from them, a pollen press, and what do I get in return? A pollen press two months later, a mini grinder three months later for the amount of time I waited, AND NO DOUBLE SCREEN GRINDER! :mad:

mod note: Since you can't prove that last statement, it's been deleted.

aero18,

niall

choding said:
The argument
My 2pc plastic grinder grinds better than my 4pc metal grinder(Top brand)
Therefore plastic > metal

Is a weak argument.
Not my argument. I've got a 2 piece Space Case and have also tried upside down with the 4 piece (recommended it to others in fact). A plastic grinder with shark teeth gives a finer, more consistent grind imho.

niall,

StickyShisha2

my friend is waiting for stuff ordered also. and i want to get the rollie J-adapter to use with my iolite, but where can i get it?

StickyShisha2,

max

Out to lunch
Got fucked over early this year from Mix'n'Ball. I ordered a double screen grinder from them, a pollen press, and what do I get in return? A pollen press two months later, a mini grinder three months later for the amount of time I waited, AND NO DOUBLE SCREEN GRINDER! :mad:
Did you contact them about your missing grinder, or just decide it couldn't possibly be a mistake?

My first order from MixnBall last year took a really long time to get delivered. In compensation for the long wait, I received a free Megaleaf grinder, which sells for $35. The guy didn't have to do that. Doesn't much sound like the action of a dishonest vendor though.

MixnBall, for whatever reason, sometimes takes what seems like forever to get restocked. Vaporstore sells the grinders too, and is often out of stock on various models. And the fact that Vaporstore sells the brand is proof that the manufacturer is reputable.

max,

Ash

vaporist
I have no problem with long wait times. I understand all about manufacturing problems and supply-chain snafu's. my problem is that they are not returning my emails or phone calls. And, if you look at their website there is a 'Live chat' option which would seem to indicate an oportunity to chat with a CS Rep. Well, that feature hasn't been 'active' in at least a month, so pretending that this is an option now seems dishonest on their part.

Ash,

aero18

vaporist
The guy refused to reply back to my continual reminders towards the end of the few months. He marked the product as shipped and ignored me from then on.

aero18,

msemcee

Anyone have any luck using the EasyLeaf electric herb grinder? I'm thinking about purchasing one very soon to accompany my new Iolite.

Any difference between the Shock Proof and the original kind?

msemcee,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Don't forget the dedicated coffee chopper: works great. Then if I want to harvest some kief, I put it in the screen portion of my Titanium something or rather and a couple of quarters. Shake, tap! Shake, tap! Do it to your favorite song.

macbill,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I just bought an electric coffee grinder for $10 on sale. It's a "Capresso", made in China but seems to be stainless steel. Tried it and it works decent considering I only wanted to grind like 1/3 g at a time. I think it would be much more effective at grinding an eighth or so at a time. I think a little resin gets wasted, stuck here and there in my grinder but not enough to prevent me from doing it. I used a brush to get out almost all of it.

The grinder I have doesn't work worth a shit, it's off-brand and it sucks. I think the coffee grinder is a pretty good solution for vaporizer-ready herb.

MoeOnTheMoon,

aero18

vaporist
Just got a refund on my Mix'N'Ball order! Dan read the forums and kindly sent the money back. Maybe my emails didn't go in somehow, I don't know... Either way, I'm pretty happy now. :D

aero18,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
That's good to know!! Congratulations.... Whatcha gonna buy?? :D

Lo,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
aero18 said:
Just got a refund on my Mix'N'Ball order! Dan read the forums and kindly sent the money back. Maybe my emails didn't go in somehow, I don't know... Either way, I'm pretty happy now. :D
Glad you got your money back, but it still sounds like a slip-shod operation to me. With all due respect, this still doesn't clear his reputation in my book. What about Ash's order? What about taking months to ship the stuff he did ship? I think these are legitimate concerns under the circumstances.

MoeOnTheMoon,

max

Out to lunch
aero18 said:
You're welcome. I sent him your complaint and email address. The name is actually Idan. He uses Dan for most correspondence.

MoeOnTheMoon said:
Glad you got your money back, but it still sounds like a slip-shod operation to me. With all due respect, this still doesn't clear his reputation in my book. What about Ash's order? What about taking months to ship the stuff he did ship? I think these are legitimate concerns under the circumstances.
Look. Here's the deal. MixnBall is pretty much a one person operation. The grinders are made in India. He doesn't have a factory down the road from his house. It's always taken a long time for him to restock. I don't know all the ins and outs of his operation, but he's an honest guy who designs and sells a quality product. I've never failed to get a response from him, even though it sometimes takes a while. Whatever else he's got going on in his life, he doesn't have the time these days to provide timely response and service. So it's 'great products, not so great service'. It is what it is. His volume of business is probably more than he can handle by himself and it's probably impractical for him to hire additional help. We have another manufacturer here who also has a one person (or two in this case) operation and an extended waiting time for product. So it shouldn't be a situation that's beyond comprehension.

There aren't that many places to buy MixnBall, and for a few items, his site is the best or only source. Vaporstore is a good option for most of his grinders, and there's always 10% off with their vapormovement coupon. Free shipping too, over $75. MixnBall has some good specials though. I just ordered two Classic Screens for $25 each. Nice Xmas presents. So it's obvious that I'm not worried about getting ripped off.

If anyone has an order that hasn't been filled for an extended period of time (a month +), let me know and I'll check on it. But with this grinder manufacturer, be prepared to wait. If you place an order and the item isn't in stock, the order page will tell you it's backordered. Once again, do not expect normal delivery or response times.

max,
Top Bottom