Herb Grinders

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
has anyone tried using their grinder upside down to get a finer grind? im hoping to purchase a large space case because i like leaving my bud in my grinder and i grind a lot at a time.

illadelph,

songa

illadelph - yes that will give it a much finer grind. the only thing id watch otu for tho when flipping upside down is that the kief may fall through the screen and back into the grinding section so taht can get things pretty messy sometimes.

songa,

lwien

So the holes ARE smaller in the small ti sc resulting in a finer grind. Good to know.

lwien,

max

Out to lunch
One problem with using it upside down is that a good bit of kief will end up sticking in the upper section. With about a $60 difference in price between the large 2 pc. and 4 pc., I'd get a 2 pc. for a fine grind, and just buy a piece of screen and make your own sifter for pollen. I use my MixnBall two piece when I want a quick 'fine grind', and then process the ground herb in the screen section of a 4 pc. if I want to screen out the kief.

max,

lwien

max said:
One problem with using it upside down is that a good bit of kief will end up sticking in the upper section. With about a $60 difference in price between the large 2 pc. and 4 pc., I'd get a 2 pc. for a fine grind, and just buy a piece of screen and make your own sifter for pollen. I use my MixnBall two piece when I want a quick 'fine grind', and then process the ground herb in the screen section of a 4 pc. if I want to screen out the kief.
Why not get the small 4 pc if it grinds fine like Songa is sayin'?

lwien,

TeddyJackEddy

Question for any PD users. Do you find that the grind from a 4 piece grinder is fine enough for use with the PD? I've ordered my PD and have been reading the really long post about the PD and a number of users have talked about the need to use finely ground herb with the PD. I know that different grinders have different size and number of holes, so I'm guessing the answer may vary a little.

I currently have a MNB Classic with a single screen that grinds just fine for use with da budda vape, but wonder how that grind will work with the new PD.

Just wondering what your experiences are when grinding for use with the PD. Thanks for the info.

TeddyJackEddy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
OK, after some time with my MNB, I'm going back to 2 pc grinders. I think PV and I have the same luck with kief collecting grinders, none...LOL

So, I'm looking for a good two piece grinder, can anyone make any suggestions? This page is 10 pages longer since the last time I peeked in and I don't have much time to read during work so if someone can list out some suggestions, I'll make a purchase sometime today....

stonemonkey55,

max

Out to lunch
TeddyJackEddy said:
I currently have a MNB Classic with a single screen that grinds just fine for use with da budda vape, but wonder how that grind will work with the new PD.
Works fine for me. Most screen grinders have 5mm holes. The MB has 4.5mm, not that .5mm makes a lot of difference. I've got a small (1.75") generic 4 pc. with 3mm holes, and that's a noticeable difference.

It also depends on the herb. Some is sticky even when dry. Sometimes I grind twice. I found that grinding for the PD is a little more trouble but not really a big deal. I actually don't like to grind it into powder, but with really dry herb sometimes there's not much choice.

lwien said:
Why not get the small 4 pc if it grinds fine like Songa is sayin'?
Sure, if you want to spend that much for a 2" grinder. I've got a medium SC and it's great, but IMO the extra money you pay is for non-functional perfection, not improved grinding. I don't care if my grinder has a few small burrs on the threads as long as it gets the job done. I can get two good quality grinders, a 2 and a 4 pc., both for the same price (or less) as a small SC.

stickstones said:
I still prefer my coffee grinder to my sharpstone.
The only thing I wonder about is being able to get it clean, and reclaim any fine material that's hiding inside. Can you get to the guts for cleaning?

max,

TeddyJackEddy

Thanks Max. Appreciate your input. I know you are a PD owner, so value your experience. I won't have the PD for a couple of weeks since they are out of stock, but look forward to it's arrival. Current stuff is not sticky, little on the dry side so hopefully will grind up just fine for the PD.

TeddyJackEddy,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Max, cleaning the chamber where the beans go has got to be easier than cleaning grinder with all those teeth...but I haven't cleaned either one yet.

stickstones,

TheTree

I use a coffee grinder as well and really like to use it. Last night I put about 1.4g into it and it made enough kief to cover an Aussie 20c piece rather thickly. I'm not entirely sure this is the best of things though, I'd rather a little kief and the rest of it remain in the bud. This could potentially be a negative for some. I can't complain though! It always wizzez up to the perfect consistency for me.

I haven't actually cleaned mine thoroughly yet either. To get all the goodies out through I usually remove the chopped herb, hold it upside down (with the lid on of course), turn it on for a few seconds, then remove the lid and give it a SLAM onto a flat surface. I usually get enough kief off a gram to top off my first 2-3 loads nicely (or in the case of last night about 10).

TheTree,

Phaang

Fog Huffer
I must say the 4 pc Chromium Crusher I have had for about three weeks now works like a charm. It seems to be built well and works smoothly and consistently. I recommend it, especially as it can be found for around $25-$30 on line.

Phaang,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
^^^^that will give a fine grind...or at least the one I have does. right here http://www.vaporizerdealer.com/coll...s/2-25-4pcs-cnc-chromium-crusher-herb-grinder

the other chron-crusher has more holes and more teeth....not sure if it gives a finer grind but I doubt it.

oh shit :o I felt the same way sm55...when I ground some nug I didnt get ANY keifs. I dried out some nuggs in my billy-bowl over night and the stuff was grinder ready...not too dry but dry enough for the keif to get brittle and fall off...oh and I sure do love keif :cool: I must say I epically enjoy how compact and easy this thing is

GET THIS GRINDER FOR THE PD...you save some $...get a fine grind..and you get KEIF!!!! win/win/win

:)
:peace:

Hennessy1414,

dream

My primary vape will be the PD so it sounds like a fine consistency is preferred for the small bowl. I was planning on going out and getting a cheap coffee grinder. That's what we used while I was recently at a buddies house for his cano. The only negative aspect i noticed was that I once spilled the contents trying to get it open. I contribute this to the fact that it was rarely cleaned and very sticky and I was stoned stupid. Never noticed any taste issues like I read others mention in the "grinders" thread. I wonder if the reason it didn't taste funny is because it was far from new and completely coated already. Maybe it's oils that remain inside of the grinder from the manufacturer that taste funny? The other thing I heard mentioned was losing THC. How is that possible? Harder to collect until you have proper buildup perhaps but I don't get how you'd actually lose THC.

Okay vape heads. School me. smile

dream,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
A coffee grinder can certainly give you a very fine grind-- powder if you're not careful. Yup you should clean out any new grinder before using. The mention of 'THC loss' was probably referring to kif buildup on the insides of the coffee grinder... it can be liberated for the most part.

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
are you grinding more than a gram at a time? or are you on budget trying to spend the least on greens as possible? more info *could* help ;)

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Henn - thanks for the advice, I will give my MNB another chance to redeem itself, my bud is mostly on the moist side I would say. You find you lose flavor when it dries out?

stonemonkey55,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Sm55, if your bud is 'mostly on the moist side', don't expect much kief, especially from a MNB. Leave a few grams sitting out on the TV or somewhere where the moisture can be sapped from it (brown paper bags works well too). Grind those puppies up and watch those trics accumulate. :brow:

SpiralArchitect,

eLiguL

stonemonkey55 said:
Henn - thanks for the advice, I will give my MNB another chance to redeem itself, my bud is mostly on the moist side I would say. You find you lose flavor when it dries out?
A properly dried&cured bud should be more potent and tasty.

eLiguL,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
I received my 2.5 inch titanium Spacecase last Friday. It was really tough for me to decide whether I should get a simple 2 piece or one with a pollen catcher. I ended up going with the two piece because it is very simple and didn't require opening any threaded compartments. PV warned me that the 3.5 incher would be bigger than I would be expecting. When I got the package, I was expecting this humongous grinder but was happy to see something that was large, but not gigantic.

I have some nice organic Jacki-O to vape and I loaded up the space case with 3 grams and gave it a couple of twists. I was very surprised to see how finely it shredded the herbs. The teeth are large and don't appear to be overly numerous so I wasn't expecting the herb to be shredded as finely as it was. The shredding/twisting action is very smooth and this is a welcome addition to my growing collection of shredders. I've actually been enjoying my MNB more now that I have dried my herbs like a few other posters had suggested. Been getting more kief accumulating at a faster rate now that I am drying out my herbs a bit more so I'm not sure how often I'm gonna bust out the Spacecase but when I have buddies over and we just need to shred up a bunch of herbs really quickly, I'll def be busting this out for those occasions.

The Spacecase is really nice to look at, performs well, and can shred a nights worth of herb in just a couple of turns. This Monkey gives the Spacecase 2 piece, 3.5 shredder a gold star for usability, looks, and performance, very happy and satisfied.

stonemonkey55,

lwien

Grinder newb here. So I just got my first grinder, a 4pc small TI SpaceCase. Precision is the word that comes to mind when fondling this small hunk 'o aluminum.

Prior to getting a grinder, I always used a stainless, high quality scissors and a shot glass to cut up my herb (for some odd reason, trichomes just never stuck to the scissors, and it never had any residual smell......wonder if it's the stainless that helps in that regard).

So anyway, I ground up some herb with the SC and threw it in my VG. (Only vape I've got now. Expecting PD in the mail today). WTF? I always use top-shelf med quality bud and being that I only partake in the evenings, my tolerance is pretty low, so I get baked on two hits from the VG, but this time, it took me about 5 hits to get the same buzz. What the hell?

So I went to bed thinking, ya know, I've read quite a few posts regarding grinders taking off too many trichs off the bud and leaving them in the grinder, and thought that this could be the issue. So I tried a few things, and found out the following: It wasn't the lost trichs, but was the fineness of the grind. The 4pc SpaceCase is nice and all, but it doesn't grind up the bud as fine as I can do with a scissors and shot glass.

So now, I have a 3 step process goin' on. I use the grinder to do an initial grind AND get some kief going on thru the screen to use later. Then I dump some of the ground herb into a shot glass and do a few chops with my scissors............walaaah...........works great. Get my kief AND get finer grind.

The finer grind just allows a richer hit and the 4pc SpaceCase, even the small, just doesn't do it fine enough. Oh well, live and learn.

lwien,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
well It's shitty for you ... imo you should sell you spacecase if you dont love it ...you know I got a shitty grinder that cost me 15 shipped and It collect the kief pretty well LOL the main reason to buy a grinder is how it grind the herb , the kief collecting is a must !

I'm also searching for a new grinder , I would like to get a ''flangeless'' style , no threads if it's possible , 1 screen at least and about 2.5-3inch diameter, but the more important , I want the finnest ground possible (it cant be to small imo ) what should I look for ?

Clear_Dome,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
CD - I love the image you are using below your name, very clever! Check out this one, I "think" it might fit what you are looking for:

http://www.vaporizerdealer.com/coll...r/products/3-3-piece-chromium-crusher-grinder

The two piece Spacecase I got grinds very, very fine. I don't know if it was due to the quantity I put in there or if it just grinds things down very finely in general. I do find that one you load the grinder with more herbs, the shredding usually gets finer and finer.

stonemonkey55,
Top Bottom