Herb Grinders

lazylathe

Almost there...
I like the Lift grinders. No mashing a bud through pins or blades to get the two sides together and 1/4 turn pieces are two of the features I like most. View attachment 131

My Lift grinder has lived almost its entire life inside its box... I do not like this grinder at all. Does not grind like I like it to be ground.

@Rendawg90 Looks like they are copying the Lift grinder...

dimmusp

My Lift grinder has lived almost its entire life inside its box... I do not like this grinder at all. Does not grind like I like it to be ground.

@Rendawg90 Looks like they are copying the Lift grinder...
I'm surprised you don't like it as it looks so damn cool and solid. Plus it's crazy expensive...

Which grinders do you prefer?

z0r

Here are my grinders, minus 5 or 6 which I've given to friends or tossed (cheap freebie soft aluminum shit).

I posted my thoughts for all but the Brilliant Cut in the old forum, nothing new to add to those except to say I've been using the BC as my daily driver extensively ever since I got it in Jan this year. The lack of threading, the swappable plates, this thing has never gotten jammed nor have I done any substantial cleaning since receiving it (other than my inaugural ISO wash pre first use). I used to collect kief and store it and press it into hash or rosin, so in the past I vastly preferred grinders with screens in em, but that's way more work than I care for anymore so not having a screen didn't figure into my decision to get one. I also love being able to match eclectic colors :)

Attachments

• 20200515_134926.jpg
    20200515_134926.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 42

VirginVape10X

Hi all,
I’m looking for some guidance with my newly acquired Santa Cruz Shredder. I ordered a 3-piece teal, which arrived last Thursday. Upon receipt, I immediately proceeded to inspect the grinder. Honestly, I was disappointed with the anodization as there was discoloration and pit marks/scratches that expose the aluminum, which defeats the purpose of me purchasing this grinder. Thankfully I have an all-steel grinder so I put the SC back in its packaging after taking a few photos of the problem areas. The very next day I sent a message to SC’s support directly from their website. Several days went by and crickets. I then sent an email with photos earlier this week and still no reply. Is this normal communication from what appears to be a reputable vendor? If so, I’m tempted to send the whole thing back for a refund, and put my money towards the BCG. Anybody else have similar issues with quality/communication and how did you overcome? Thanks!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah it's been a year with my BCG and I have never actually cleaned it either, occasionally brush lid sides, but I'm pretty careful loading small nugs in between the teeth, though I also grind upside down a lot (poking out keif with a toothpick afterwards)

It has gotten a good coating of kief throughout now, but as mentioned performance has not been affected at all. Never locks up, even with dense moist nugs, it might take a second to turn and get going but then it really spins smooth!

The key is the teeth on the side edge of the lid, these are the "anti-locking mechanism" that is so extremely effective. I think this feature might be even more impressive than the lack of threading and the gorgeous appearance...

They have also said they will be releasing a kief tray at some point in the future, though this doesn't interest me at all personally (as I described earlier I only use 3 piece style, for the last 5 years or so, decided I didn't want to separate the kief and would rather have it mixed in with my grounds for each bowl!) So yeah BCG perfect for me

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
I'm surprised you don't like it as it looks so damn cool and solid. Plus it's crazy expensive...

Which grinders do you prefer?

So far the Brilliant Cut Grinder is amazing! Threadless and so easy to use!
I am also quite enjoying my Kannastor V2 grinder with the medium plate and kief catcher.

The Brilliant Cut gets 100% approval and is the most used as it is just so slick!

ManeVape

I'm still waiting for the new United Machining grinder to be released, the old model looks very nice. Don't know when this will be though as they have went from a projected late April release date to "we will let you know". The BCG looks real nice but there's something appealing to be about having a half pound of stainless steel grinder.

@Vapor Eyes got me pretty interested in the crown grinder as well in the old thread. I'll proably wait until the United grinder releases then make a decision, my Santa Cruz is working just fine until then.
I use one. It is a nice piece of hardware that is for sure.

ManeVape,

MAbud

So...I received my BCG yesterday and am absolutely blown away. I’m typically a really picky person and the quality on this is unreal. Every piece is machined perfectly. The pieces are lighter than you think than when you look at them but very substantial.

I went Hematite grinder, hematite course, raw silver medium and green fine.

I generally like ripping pieces of nug and so I started with the course plate. It’s amazing. Super fluffy, majority of trichromes intact and almost nothing left on the plates (huge annoyance with my kannistor)

this grinder and the new vape fine grinder are in a league of their own IMO

tb42091

I have owned many unbranded grinders, space cases and sharp stones, but my recent daily driver I had been using a free trees grinder from PIU, which is honestly a pretty good grinder because of half turn threads on the herb chamber and 3/4 turn threads on the kief catch, but I cant say I recommend buying one. When I first got it I threw it in a 99% iso bath and it stripped off a lot of the black coating, took multiple iso washes for it to stop. Aside from that though... :lol:

I decided to upgrade and I bought a Lift around 4/20, managed to get one of the bronze rejects so it was 90USD (which pushed me over the edge). I liked the design and that the blade, screen and plate are all stainless, I wanted to do away with wearing teeth. Coming up on 2 ounces and 4 weeks with it I have some first impressions. The honeymoon has been great, and honestly I cant figure out why it was a reject either. Possibly a slight imperfection on the logo but definitely not on the anodizing. I soaked it in 99% iso and nothing came off of it, the iso was still perfectly clean when I was finished.

But speaking of the logo, holy cow there is a lot of that on it. That is the thing that bugs me the most about it. There is a big lift logo on top with a maple leaf and made in canada, along with a big reject stamp logo, bottom has another reject stamp and a serial number and their website. A bit over the top but I wonder if they are counting on people posting pictures of it on social media, basically free advertising. Blegh. If they could tone it down a bit, that would be greaaaaat. (In Bill Lumbergh's voice)

On to the function - it is insanely smooth and easy on the wrists. Living in Colorado, most of the bud is super dry and I have to rehydrate it. The medium plate does a medium-coarse grind, and is most consistent when using more hydrated flower. If I throw in some really dry stuff it does produce an inconsistent grind, where half of the grind is very fine and the other half is the normal medium grind. I have not been able to avoid that in any grinder though - overly dry, trichome covered buds just do that. This isn't a problem for me though, my flowerpot works best with a coarse bed in the bowl topped with fine, and even with super dry flower it ends up about 50/50 fine to medium-coarse.

Flower with decent moisture content is where it really shines though, it produces hardly any kief and the grind is beautifully fluffy and medium-coarse. I was a little worried that the quarter turn would pop open if you dropped it but they are much more secure than I expected. The grinding chamber can do probably around 1g at a time depending on density, while the herb chamber can probably hold around 2g. The kief catch is fucking deep! I could have done with a shallower kief catch and a deeper herb chamber but it is good enough for me.

Some of the negatives - I wish the grinding chamber were larger - the 3 spokes on the piece above the blade could definitely be smaller which would make the grinding chamber bigger.

If you pack too much in when you grind, the blade can cut off the bottom of the nug and keep it wedged above the spinning blade, so it doesnt fully grind. This can be remedied with a little tap while grinding but after my first week with it I learned to not pack the grinding chamber and it hasn't been a reoccurring issue.

I wish the stock sift screen was a little smaller, they offer them spearately but it wasnt an option. I think it let's a few bits of herb into the catch, not just trichome.

As for maintenance, all I've done so far is brush the sifting screen periodically to keep it clear enough to let kief through.

Pictured below is a loaded grinder, then a picture of the grind chamber after 5 back and forth motions of about 1/2 a rotation, most has been ground and fallen through, then a picture of the empty grind chamber/blades.

SquirrelMaster

I had a look through the marketing and reviews for the HOJ CLIP. They have a pretty decent following on Instagram for not having released a product yet. Reviews tell of how the trichromes aren't smashed and that you may even get higher using this grinder. I can guarantee you no grinder is going to get me higher, unless you're comparing an absolute garbage one to begin with. The exterior design is nice but the interior looks over engineered with more parts to clean. All magnetic design is also nice. One of the reviews mention a small grinding chamber which makes sense given its very LIFT inspired design. Also it takes many rotations to grind, like the LIFT. Who knows though, it could be a really amazing grinder.maybe they'll send one to @420vapezone for an honest review.

I have fully cleaned my BCG exactly zero times while having it over a year, granted I give it a brush fairly often, and it never jams. Ever. Never ever. I filled the surface of it last night with some 34% Wedding Crasher, pushed the top in and with some effort filled the holding chamber with fluffy flower ready to vape. I don't normally do that so when I toss a little nug in I can barely feel the resistance as I twist. It just feels really good to use and it looks damn good.

Getting rid of the center post and offering a stainless option are the only areas they could work on imo.

The larger BCG should be releasing soon. That's the only grinder I have on my radar.

tb42091

I gotta say, VapeZone's issue where it took forever to grind does not happen to me. Like I said in the other post, sometimes it cuts the bottom off and keeps it wedged above the cutting zone but if you load it right, this isnt an issue.

It isnt like the roiel health where you can just throw whole nugs of any size into the chamber, but there isnt much of a technique to it either. Just dont stuff the grinding chamber :shrug: but over-filling negatively affects performance of every grinder I've ever used.

The Klip looks interesting - it looks like the blade is black, like the rest of the grinder. I'd be interested in seeing how it ages, but its price will probably keep me away for now at least.

Edited to add: anyone seen this before?
The Pucc Grinder - someone just posted it on reddit, looks kinda like a BCG mimic. I think it would have helped them to have the center post on the bottom of the grinding plate where you load as opposed to the top.

Last edited:

Pucc Grinder

Manufacturer
I gotta say, VapeZone's issue where it took forever to grind does not happen to me. Like I said in the other post, sometimes it cuts the bottom off and keeps it wedged above the cutting zone but if you load it right, this isnt an issue.

It isnt like the roiel health where you can just throw whole nugs of any size into the chamber, but there isnt much of a technique to it either. Just dont stuff the grinding chamber :shrug: but over-filling negatively affects performance of every grinder I've ever used.

The Klip looks interesting - it looks like the blade is black, like the rest of the grinder. I'd be interested in seeing how it ages, but its price will probably keep me away for now at least.

Edited to add: anyone seen this before?
The Pucc Grinder - someone just posted it on reddit, looks kinda like a BCG mimic. I think it would have helped them to have the center post on the bottom of the grinding plate where you load as opposed to the top.
I've heard of the Pucc grinder :lol:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, I received yesterday a cheap grinder I bought in an Austrian website, it was this one:

In fact that's a 3 pieces grinder but they added a sort of filter basket if you want to save kief, if you remove that filter it's a 3 pieces. On the top of that it's fully magnetic, no threads at all. The teeth are spaced enough to let a lot of rooms to place big buds, no need to break in small nugs (give a look at the pics they are better than my explanations). I got it in green (with gold it was the only colors available. Grind is medium-fine I would say..
As cons I want to say it's not very well with moist flowers, dry enough is better. And the middle part isn't easy to grab when you need some strentgth to turn it (when you fill it full), I think a layer of silicone could made it easier .

I'm very happy like if I got a high end grinder with so much amazing features I never met before (all my others grinders are pretty similar 4 pieces design) and it's only 17,90€..., it will put all my others grinders on the shelf except maybe my no name extra large grinder (abe to grind 2-3 grams at once).

Give a look at their website, they got a lot of specials designs I never seen anywhere. Thank you to Abysmal Vapor in the old FC which pointed me that seller!

Glatch

So back on the "old" fuckcombustion page there was this ZAMgrinder. A new modular pocket sized grinder.

Anyone care to give an update as the how they like the grinder after using it for a while. I'm kind off looking for a new grinder and can't decide if I should wait for the ZAM grinder or buy something els (a 3 or 4 piece)

Does anyone know that thread will be migraded over to the new page? Or does the maker need to do this?

Glatch,
Top Bottom