Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
I like the CC-good quality at a decent price. The screen mesh size is a little small for my taste, but both the original and aluminum models I've sampled have been very well made. I just haven't seen any difference in performance or durability vs. good aluminum models.

it might not be used in other grinders because its already been patented.
Do you have a source for the patented statement? I've seen 'proprietary' but have never found any site saying it's patented. If it were patented, it would only apply to the exact proportions of materials used. Another company could use a slightly different ratio with no problems.

I've never even been able to get a true definition of the alloy used. The site that's sold the CC the longest (vaporizerdealer.com), states different materials, depending on which page you're looking at.

"Manufactured from a proprietary alloy of black chrome, aluminum, and nickel"

"Manufactured from the finest metal alloy: a blend of mostly Zinc & Steel"

Vaporstore says "zinc and steel" and then "Constructed from a strong chromium metal alloy", both on the same page.

As for finding the company that actually makes the CC grinders, good luck. :/

This long time CC seller on eBay says the new line of grinders is an aluminum alloy.
"After spending considerable amount of time doing meticulous and substantial research, now, Chromium Crusher has introduced a new line of grinders with huge improvements made compare to the previous Chromium Crusher models. The new line of Chromium Crusher grinders are made with high grade aluminum alloy and are perfectly crafted by improved CNC process."
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-5-4PCS-La...423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560e025c7

They're also making the gimmicky clear top grinders with a handle, just like Sharpstone. The handle and blades on both brands look identical. Since you can't find the company that makes Sharpstone either, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the same company didn't make both brands.

It seems like most every grinder manufacturer wants to hide from the public. This used to be the Space Case site- http://www.spacecasecutlery.com/ . vtac tracked it down a little over a year ago and now it looks like it's abandoned. If your SC reseller were to go out of business, I don't know how you'd take advantage of the lifetime warranty, in the unlikely event you'd need to.

max,

SmokingElectricity

edlover-cmon-son.jpg

Schwann...

do you read the full posts? or just half?

nobody said your SC was fake, all i asked about was the engraving. and as for the crusher... how are those 2011 models? when i was sold the same imitation last year. how is it a 2011 model if they moved backwards with the technology...

on the left is the classic non aluminum crusher, the right the "2011" model. the lid on the 2011 version is 2 pieces. forget iso soaking that because you would never get it out. The teeth are crap. The coating is painted on. Yeah. Paint.

dscn0105y.jpg

but hey you wanna vape paint, thats cool.

SmokingElectricity,

Nycdeisel

wait, Smoking, is that also a 3 piece? Where the screen is right below the holes? Those are the fucking worst, the very first grinder I had(one of those cheapo China/India made metal grinders with an image on top) was a 3 piece, and they suck....... and damn, paint? Thats a big no no.

Nycdeisel,

SmokingElectricity

Space Case Warranty #

@NYC

nope, its a 4 piece. It just has 2 screens, one right underneath the bottom teeth section. this thing is useless.

SmokingElectricity,

Nycdeisel

I didnt know of a warranty for SC products, do you know what it is.

That sucks man, sorry you bought a useless item but hey it was cheap and sometimes you gotta see it to believe it :cool:
:lol:

Nycdeisel,

SmokingElectricity

Nycdeisel said:
I didnt know of a warranty for SC products, do you know what it is.

That sucks man, sorry you bought a useless item but hey it was cheap and sometimes you gotta see it to believe it :cool:
:lol:

Lifetime warranty on the SC.

just another to add to the collection ;)

SmokingElectricity,

MG23

Relaxin'
So I gave up on the coffee grinder thing and instead just got a fantastic deal on a regular style grinder on ebay.

I found a medium titanium Space Case and won the auction for only $27 shipped! I love getting a good deal!

Can't wait to get this bad boy in the mail. I love that my grinder and my launchbox are both warranted for a lifetime.

MG23,

TheDudeAbides

Ordained Dudeist Minister
I bought the largest Space Case grinder about 4 years ago. Plain aluminum and I have scrapped it a couple times but never NEVER has it been through a iso wash. Anybody know another easy was to reclaim this resin? I have heard of a few bad things with iso bath and scrub. I am willing to go through with this because of my newly purchased DBV. I bought this grinder from Gratefulbuys.com He's still in business on ebay and selling SC's at a great price. I want another smaller grinder just for my Killer B thats easy to reclaim resin but I have found nothing so far. Any thoughts as to where I could get one? I also owned the larger SC sifter but I just started to keep my KB in glass for curing reasons (and that fresh ahhh smell when opened...you know what I'm talking about). It was a great sifter but I never got "good" bubble hash. Just pretty good kif. For kif at the moment I'm looking at a few small wooden shake boxes. I think I could get a better grade depending on the micron screen. Who knows I might make my own if I ever find the time :rolleyes:

TheDudeAbides,

Nycdeisel

You should look into getting a good keif box and a nice 2 piece SC.
a 2 piece would be better after the keif has been collected using the box.

theres nothing bad about doing an iso wash, and you have never cleaned your grinder? ever? thats kind of gross.

Be careful when scraping your grinder as to not scratch the metal

Check out these keif boxes
http://www.exoticzombie.com/store.htm

Nycdeisel,

TheDudeAbides

Gross really? I"ll post pics later...it doesn't look gross. Smells great...I of coarse keep the out side clean but its pretty gunky with resin in some places. Can't tell you how many pounds have been ground in that mother :o

TheDudeAbides,

Nycdeisel

yes, I personally find it to be pretty gross that it has never ever once been cleaned. And that the herb ground in it is going into your body. Thats just me though, im not trying to argue.
however I was a bit confused by your original post, I must say

Nycdeisel,

TheDudeAbides

Well herb is herb. :lol: Its not like it spoils. I find that its helped me in dry times because I could get a nylon paint brush and "sweep" out the fine dust in the nooks and crannies. Not like I use my shoe and grind up my herb on a side walk. Its always been well maintained and stored after every use. Never been exposed to any cleaning solvents or dirt. Never been dropped etc...

It will be a hand me down...family heir loom...ha

TheDudeAbides,

MG23

Relaxin'
The SC I just bought was from Gratefulbuys, actually. I can't recommend them enough. Great seller. Was willing to cut me a deal and -still- give 10% of the final price to an animal shelter charity.

Also, I don't think that's too gross man. I'm sure if it got genuinely gross you would clean it.

MG23,

TheDudeAbides

Yeah I first bought the 4 layer large grinder sifter and didn't like how it grounded up my stuff so I emailed him and he took care of all the shipping and sent me a large grinder and large sifter with pill press. This was 4 years ago. The Prices have dropped now compared to what I paid. I just sold my sifter and press for $75. I never used it.

I kept the grinder for the indestructible qualities. That baby can grind a z in one load.

Can't wait off monday and iso washing the grinder just for NYCdeisel's sake. Too bad she can't reap the benefits...not that she would if she thought it was gross.

but, then again she's in NY. She's got access to the best.

I just got a strain of diesel that was rooty fruity. Best flavor ever in the DBV :o

TheDudeAbides,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I have used ISO to clean grinders. I've also evap'd it down to reclaim as well. Never had a problem cleaning them with the ISO. I've used it to clean 4pc from Kelly's Great products on ebay as well as my 2 pc Space Case.

Lo,

SmokingElectricity

it's not needed to clean a grinder often with ISO. initially when you get it of course to remove any machine oils. after that i only spot treat it by dipping a corner of paper towel in ISO and clean the inside rims and threads. once or twice a year soak it to clean the screen.

SmokingElectricity,

Nycdeisel

SmokingElectricity said:
it's not needed to clean a grinder often with ISO. initially when you get it of course to remove any machine oils. after that i only spot treat it by dipping a corner of paper towel in ISO and clean the inside rims and threads. once or twice a year soak it to clean the screen.

He said he hadn't cleaned it once in his 4 years of owning it! I think its time for a full cleaning!!

Nycdeisel,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Is it possible iso/everclear/other solvents can be damaging to the gasket/o-ring on quality grinders? I have only used my mf brush (dry) to clean my sc 2 pc after each use.

chucku,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just cleaned my grinders and my glass in ISO yesterday and am evaporating to reclaim the goodies right now. I have not only found that an occasional ISO soak cleans the grinders thoroughly (makes 'em look like new, really), the bountiful harvest of trichomes never fails to astonish me. I will probably get at least .5 gram of goodies that I press into hash.

Stu,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
TheDudeAbides:
find that its helped me in dry times because I could get a nylon paint brush and "sweep" out the fine dust in the nooks and crannies.

this is a great idea, however, you are only reclaiming a small percentage of whats actually there. you need to do an iso soak like Stu!

notmyrealUSERname,

max

Out to lunch
SmokingElectricity said:
Clean a screen once or twice a year? Not me. In my expericence it's needed much more often than that if you want to have the screen unclogged for separating kief, especially if you use a coin or something to knock loose more kief. I've often clogged up a screen after just a couple of loads of kief heavy bud. It only takes a minute to clean a screen with a toothbrush and some ISO. Hit it with a hair dryer and it's dry in no time. A 2 pc. can get by with a lot less frequent cleaning, but I've found that the rims trap some plant material, which adheres to the grinder walls. It doesn't take long for it to impede the grinding motion some. I've found that it works best for me to clean a grinder frequently, for ease of use and performance. If you want to reclaim residue, you can let it build up, and just do spot cleaning on the grinder walls and screen.
chucku said:
Is it possible iso/everclear/other solvents can be damaging to the gasket/o-ring on quality grinders?
O-rings aren't a sign of a quality grinder. Even most of the cheap generics have 'em. The only purpose they serve is to make grinding quieter. Most of the MixnBall models don't use them, and they grind just as freely as any other brand, and you never have to worry about getting a replacement ring. The problem with o-rings is that in a lot of cases, that extra clearance is needed to keep the top teeth from contacting the floor of the bottom grinding chamber. So if the o-ring isn't fit to use anymore, it can put the grinder out of business unless you want to also grind some metal.

As for cleaning the o-ring with ISO, it's probably better to avoid it, since it's a solvent. I guess it could make a difference what material the ring is made of too. I like the o-rings that you can easily remove-makes it easier to deal with and clean separately. If you use alcohol on an o-ring, I'd clean it quick and immediately wash off the ISO with water.

max,

SmokingElectricity

^^^haven't really had that problem, although i do clean it by hand very well after each use. tap it out onto a piece of paper and clean it with a brush and bamboo pick. make sure you guys don't touch the screen with your fingers because the oils from your skin can also prohibit kief falling through the screen.

i'm glad to see this thread so active lately. :D

SmokingElectricity,

TheDudeAbides

Had an interesting day folks. Wish I had my canon 7d 18.1 mega pixel with sigma 15-50mm lens to catch all the glory I received hallelujah! Instead my wife took the damn thing and now I'm left story telling.

long story short...
Got my grinder out(locked in a fire case...never use it on KB just the mids) and I haven't seen it in months so the actual observation of this was "damn its coated...". Got my tooth brush out and 91% iso. Heres a side note on a better technique to soak. I tried the ziplock and instantly thought disaster so I just got a medium pyrex bowl with about 2/3 cup 91% and proceeded to scrub. Yes people 4 years of herb had been twisted through this Large Space Case. After the scrub all the 91% was a pretty green haze. A glass plate, hairdryer, and a razor came to the party over boiling water for about 15 mins. Amazed at what I reclaimed to be very potent. About .64 was reclaimed didn't strain didn't care. For the first time I can validate that ...I AM A RECLAIMER!

So I wish I had pictures. I am ashamed. Its like telling a fishing story. Without pictures it never happened.

Next time I am on the ball.
I forgot how shiny a grinder was.

Also I have some Columbian gold...cut some up and just barely covered the screen. Topped it off with the QGISO makeshift hash in the DBV.

just... :ko:

TheDudeAbides,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
So I ordered a small 2pc space case with my MfLB on vapeworld....made the order 109 total...not bad

After seeing all of this discussion about cleaning grinders, etc...i am wondering if I should at least soak the SC in iso when get it before using it? Would this be the correct assumption?

Thanks! Happy to be joining the happy group of people that enjoy SC grinders!

Purpl3_Haz3,
Top Bottom