Herb Grinders

CANtalk

IMO, I think there's some hit and miss with grinders out there @TommyDee (could be from any one supplier too).

Do you have a link, I could not find it.:disgust:
Try the link earlier and look for the 4" option under the price next to the large picture at the top of the description; see it there? There's a 2.5" and 4" box.
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Version-Kozo-Grinders-Aluminium/dp/B06XHXY6PR
My 2.5" inch version is pretty wide already...

That 4" wide version is :o
81NnDQ4-QGL._SL1500_.jpg

81SXhBpPLZL._SL1500_.jpg

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Thanks @CANtalk, I typed in Kozo 4" grinder and could not find it. Wow, the price more than triples for the 4" over the 2.5", a fair jump, nearly the same price as my 3.5" TiTanium Space Case(made in USA). :razz:
I also noticed they have the same kief catcher setup like the SLX which when removed to make a 3 piece does not have a very deep ground material holder.:2c:

CANtalk

@LesPlenty, glad to see you found it :tup:. Oh ya, price goes up
bdsm.gif
. The three piece setup and bottom chamber does not look deep in those Amazon.com grinder pictures for the 4 inch option, but that may may be misleading. As mentioned, I found the 2.5" wide version bottom chamber deep at a measured 14 mm... and the overall grinder height is listed at 1.8 inches (which I measured and can confirm). The Amazon.com information on the 4 inch wide grinder option reports the height to be 2.0 inches :clap: :sherlock:... and the overall proportions of the other chambers in the picture look relatively similar to my 2.5 inch grinder (especially the third from top kief separator chamber, it looks significantly deeper than the earlier short version of this grinder); this makes me think that bottom chamber is similarly deep and deep at 14 mm. :2c:

The question is at that price is it worth ordering to see what you think :sherlock: :shrug:. I guess you could always return it :peace:.

91zbgTbGPLL._SL1500_.jpg

Hope that helps.

I'm interested in all grinder talk... great informative thread :).

Last edited:

Brewervapesalot

I read a little bit. I do like the idea of a stainless steel grinder. Aluminum is just there, available, but it's not a great material for the purpose. Might be bad for you.

That said, until SLX v 2.5 starts flaking it's a great go to.

My only complaint is that sidewalls of the screen piece are angled. When you poke around to fill a stem, the herb easily climbs the sidewalls, falls out and makes a mess. You have to watch for it.

I'd rather have 90 degree sidewalls. Keeps the herb in the bowl much better. The nonstick ceramic prevents any sticky buildup, so the angle to prevent nooks and crannies, I guess is the purpose, is not necessary.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Hmmm...all the likes of my above post, but no reply, is surprising. Has no one tried this grinder?

I like the idea of the three spaces to put a nug (I'm reminded of my two Super Weapon II grinders, with their one space for a nug). That way you can put the top grinding section on without having to crush the buds. That way when you grind, it's just the sharp edges cutting through the herb.

Maybe I need to include one in my next GRAV glass order (I want one of their Extra Large Beaker Waterpipes) so that we will have a review here for it.

SquirrelMaster

Hmmm...all the likes of my above post, but no reply, is surprising. Has no one tried this grinder?

I like the idea of the three spaces to put a nug (I'm reminded of my two Super Weapon II grinders, with their one space for a nug). That way you can put the top grinding section on without having to crush the buds. That way when you grind, it's just the sharp edges cutting through the herb.

Maybe I need to include one in my next GRAV glass order (I want one of their Extra Large Beaker Waterpipes) so that we will have a review here for it.

I just really like Grav Labs stuff :D.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Rating about that grinder is very low (3.5/5), I know that doesn't really reflect product quality level since a few very bad notes could lower the average note a lot although there is a lot of peoples who seems to dislike it. Although I have some interest for that 3-pieces grinder myself... how much are you charged for international shipping at Grav Labs ?
(sorry I could check myself but have to quit my desk for that morning, goodbye, see you later!)

SmokingElectricity

I stay away from grinders where the teeth are a different color than the body of the grinder. It usually means they are 2 different pieces rather than one solid cnc machined piece like most other grinders. They fall apart pretty quickly from my experiences. Possibly glue involved if the top section is two different pieces like a "Titanium Crusher" I bought back in the day.

Big picture with lots of detail [4976X1626].
na0v1mzjtpj41.jpg

Legit Space Case. Purchased from PuffItUp. Used for about 2 years. Anodized coating wore away pretty quickly. It has now been repurposed as a hot Dynavap cooler.
a3cea2e738e8d2b9131efbd3912ac9df55bac714.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CANtalk

I stay away from grinders where the teeth are a different color than the body of the grinder. It usually means they are 2 different pieces rather than one solid cnc machined piece like most other grinders. They fall apart pretty quickly from my experiences. Possibly glue involved if the top section is two different pieces like a "Titanium Crusher" I bought back in the day.
Thx. The teeth are the same color as the grinder, however the grinder plate is unanodized (different). I like having the grinding plate unanodized, it's less foreign material than can wear with use and end up in with flower. I've had no problems with reliability so far. My ~4 yr old grinder is this way and it works fine still. I have a friend doing the same with a ~ yr old grinder. No glue is involved in any of these. I'll see how the new grinder works over the next few years.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Aluminum oxide develops on all aluminum surfaces exposed to air. That will end up in your herb. Anodize -is- oxidized aluminum.

Exactly – some seem to think that anodization is the process of coloring aluminum, but it describes the process of hardening the surface by thickening the oxide layer. Non-anodized surfaces will be softer and thus be more prone to wear.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
There is a 'hard anodize' process. Same difference as normal anodizing except that the surface is much harder. Basically, the oxide layer is just a lot thicker and actually grows a bit on the surface. This is a Type III anodize. This is a finish typically found on tactical flashlights. Also eats machine tools.

The problem with all anodized surfaces is that it galls easily against aluminum. Basically is is like sandpapering sandpaper once the original finish is abraded.

Interesting though. I read once that someone has but freshly ground herb in a microwave and didn't see any sparks from the 'metal dust'. Aluminum oxide is non-conductive. Is it also microwave-proof from arcing?

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
Aluminum oxide develops on all aluminum surfaces exposed to air. That will end up in your herb. Anodize -is- oxidized aluminum.
If you want certainty, go full stainless. Titanium if you prefer.
MG_6840web-e1462393976412-150x150.jpg

APR 24
DANA TROUSIL IN ENGINEERING, INDUSTRIAL DESIGN, MANUFACTURING, PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT | 4 COMMENTS
Is Anodized Aluminium Biocompatible?
I was recently asked if I knew
Anodized-Aluminium-Biocompatible-279x300.png
USP class VI is another standard that’s often quoted – the two standards are similar in some respects, but are not equivalent.

Aluminium oxide, Al2O3, also known as alumina, forms readily when bare aluminium is exposed to air. Alumina is a non-toxic substance in and of itself and as an example, has been used in the dental industry for many, many years as a ceramic compound. With the rise of antibiotic resistant bacteria, alternative antimicrobial methods are being researched, and among the antimicrobial agents being looked at is alumina. Aluminium, on the other hand, is toxic in high doses, and can lead to bone disease, encephalopathy, and other conditions, generally as a result of renal failure when aluminium is allowed to build up in the body. Aluminium is in many things in trace amounts, pop in pop cans for instance, has slightly elevated amounts due to the acidic nature of many soft drinks, but the levels are still well below recommended limits for the vast majority of people.

Anodizing works by controlling and forcing the oxidation of aluminium (into alumina) such that the oxidation layer is anywhere from 0.5μm, to over 100μm, depending on the type of anodizing. By contrast, the normal layer of alumina is just a fraction of that (.002-.003 μm). In the anodizing process, the aluminium surfaces are washed and rinsed, etched and then finally oxidized. It is this hard surface of alumina that provides the barrier for corrosion. The anodizing process, however, creates a porous surface on the microscopic scale:

Annodized-Aluminium-Biocampatible.png

If a part is dyed, these pores are where the dyes take hold. Regardless, the final step is sealing the pores with a sealant.

ISO-10993 has a significant section on risk (see this blog here), but focusing on the device categories, these categories are divided into surface devices (wearable), externally communicating devices (e.g. dialyzers, laparoscopes), and implantable devices. These categories are broken down further into various subcategories such as skin contact, mucosal membrane contact (i.e. inside the nose), contact with blood, etc. Finally, the duration of contact is considered (<24h, <30d, >30d). Generally, for intact skin contact only, there are three tests that are required, regardless of duration: cytotoxicity, sensitization, and irritation/intracutaneous reactivity. As contact increases through mucosal membranes, compromises surfaces, and on to implantable devices, the list of tests grow for obvious reasons.

In context of biocompatibility and ISO 10993, the anodized surface provides a barrier against the aluminium, but the coating is porous, thin, and subject to corrosion from cleaners and biomedical environments. Anodizing does not stand up well to bleach, as an example, and any dyes will not stand up to repeated sterilization as the sealant is broken down and the dyes leach out.

It’s possible that for some surface contact applications, anodized aluminium will perform adequately, but this approach is not recommended. The chemical processing and nature of anodized aluminium means that of the risk assessment of the device’s manufacturing processes surrounding biocompatibility will need to be comprehensive, and, as always, biocompatibility thoroughly tested. The sealing steps and any dyes will need to be chosen with care, and likely require significant controls in production. Research into the suitability of anodized aluminium is continuing, and some special processes have shown promising results as the demand for cheaper, light-weight materials continues to grow.

Dana Trousil is a StarFish Medical Mechanical Engineer. He has successfully launched many products, with experience in a variety of processes, including anodizing medical devices.

Credit to found by
invertedisdead :>)

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The sealer looks to be a nickel acetate. Not sure if that is something to be worried about in particular. Often, these are process chemicals that are completely removed and only used for a reaction. Besides, I've worn all the nickel plating off my grinder too. I'm sure that went down the sink with the resins stuck to my fingers. Now I have copper exposed. Only on the outside, mind you.

What a lot of studies tend to ignore in their studies is '...at elevated temperatures'. Many metals are chemically reactive at elevated temps. Therefore I care little about studies that ignore this aspect. If you think about it, metals are catalysts for things like carbon nano tubes. Could be perfectly inert at room temperature. What can a 150C particle do biologically? Quite a bit and all bad, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017

Agreed :tup:

Ramahs,
Reactions: Siebter

TommyDee

Vaporitor
There is nothing good that come from a damaged anodize aluminum surface. Fortunately, the aluminum oxide itself is an inert element as far as we know. Alumina oxide is a ceramic that most of the quality commercial heaters are made of including PAX. What would worry me more is the dye used in the coloring of the anodize, which is also released from the damage area.

That wooden grinder still has me thinking. I don't have any issues vaping some nice walnut or oak, or even a quince shrub.

TommyDee,
Reactions: Planck
Top Bottom