Herb Grinders

rodders83

Wow. We are seriously concerned about this and are here to help. For consistency, the pieces are always machined together. Generally we can match one piece to another with no issues. It is possible the machining can cause a slight minor difference, but it sounds that it's a big difference. Can you send some pictures to my space case email? Thanks!

Still no reply over this, I sent an email on the 20th June with a load of photos showing purple spots, The way the replacements dont fit right and the differences in teflon O-Rings and the knurling dimples.

I also have purple spots on my anodizing one of which chipped and now im basically sitting here knowing my 99 dollar grinders not what it should of been and im still over a month later sitting with not one single reply to my inbox. Im sorry but this is not how i imagined a life time warranty. And i think i was super nice and patient as well to wait since 20th June 2017. I could very well of just went and did a chargeback on SpaceCasegrinders.com which would maybe highlight how serious an issue it is to have customers out there with old grinders who cant get replacement parts anymore.

Im not the only person with a purple hue space case grinder who thought they had a true lifetime warranty. What i need to know is, Do we really?

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
Tonight the NewVape Fine Grinder met it's ultimate challenger, some of my 10 week RockStar bud.
It's reasonably dry but super sticky and resiny.

It was very clunky turning but no grinder has been able to grind this stuff correctly yet...
Kept turning for a while and then took a look.
What is had done was to shred the herb and then roll it into tiny, rock hard pellets of herb.
What went in did not come out, there was way less herb.
Threw it in the Herbo Ti and it vaped like a champ!
The bowl lasted forever due to it's density!

I then ground some really dry herb and it almost cleaned the teeth of the grinder that had been coated with RockStar goodness.
I am now vaping turbo charged George Bush Kush!

I need to invest in some of those 58% Boveda packs, using the original 62% at the moment.

JCharles

FC 06/06/2017 | ACMPR 26/07/2017
My SWII arrived this afternoon and after a quick unboxing, https://www.instagram.com/p/BXY8Bj6jMS_/ i set to putting it to good use. The grinder tore through the large nugs I loaded with ease. Leaving very little flower stuck to it despite the resinous bud I was using (a couple crumbs - seriously impressed with the surface coating it's practically non stick).

Looking forward to the next couple months putting this thing through its paces. I grind around 60grams of flower a month stored at 62% hummidity. Should be one hell of a test

Alexis

Im also having great results with the NVFG. I have been grinding smallish amounts, 0.2 - 0.25 with excellent results! My herb is freshly harvested. I woudn't normally expect a grinder to work properly yet, but I am getting a sizeable pile of lovely shredded weed that is perfectly open with a really soft feel and lightness.

It vapes superbly. I am turning it more to achieve a better grind from small amounts of fresh weed.
I also struggle with the grip. I have major hand, wrist issues, very prone to RSI and tendonitis. So the grip and overall heaviness is a problem to me, but the result is fantastic so I will jyst have to work around it.

I need to invest in some of those 58% Boveda packs, using the original 62% at the moment
Keep in mind that I don't believe the Boveda packs are usually very effective at lowering humidity, they primarily are designed to release moisture to raise humidity levels, but I believe they can also lower it providing they have enough capacity to absorb more moisture.

So it will depend on the moisture content of your herbs when you purchase or cure them.
So many different opinions on how to dry and cure, specifically in relation to humidity levels. Part of me feels that it is better to jar bits up for curing at 60%, I have found they can remain at 60% indefinitely. No need to burp. It can be an awful pain having a ton of jars that are just inside 65% (or just above), or when they are jarred at 62% but then keep rising back above 65%.

The problem us when humidity levels are above 65% inside the house for weeks on end, jars full of weed that needs burping, which is counter-productive until the weather changes.

So letting it dry a little further so it comes to a dead halt at 60% inside the cure zone is an alternative, and easier approach. I don't know what is ultimately best though.

Last edited:

Whissmu

Studying the purchase of my next grinder, the finalists are:
- SLX v2-> by their anti-adherence
- NVFG -> by grinding fine

I have a GR8TR that would highlight because it never gets stuck and I would hate it for how dirty it gets to be ...

Ideas or advice ???

Alexis

Goodday everyone. Love Saturdays! I don't work due to illness but it's like you are sort of allowed to feel happier on the weekend, or at least most people naturally do. So I'm happy because others are, especially after toughing out the week at work.

Anyway, I just ground up a small bud of fresh Think Different weed in the NVFG. It was not cured yet, and was very bendy even in jar in curing zone. Very resinous and sticky. I couldn't even break it apart hardly. I didn't think it would come out fine but no scizzors were handy. I turned for a while and was amazed at the grind! Very well ground, not dust but like a heap of leaves sort of.
Perfectly good enough, and amazing from that sticky bud, only 0.2 maximum as well.

That's impressive! Small a amounts of sticky fresh weed perfectly ground. I vaped a bowl in my Omnivap just now and got some enormous clouds, really strong effect. It is very nice weed for what it is, big vapor production, glistening with trichomes all over.

But the NVFG didn't let it down or reduce it's potential to vaporize, it facilitated it perfectly.

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Alexis

I have let my bud dry for most of the day in the open. Well i opened their mason jars and covered with a piece of paper towel for about 8 hours.

Threw some White Russian in the NewVape Fine Grinder and went to town.
Problem is i hit the concentrates this morning and my brain power has not booted up yet... Spent a few minutes surfing the web and grinding, it's so smooth!!
Opened the grinder to find the most finely ground material i have ever seen!!
This is the same bud that was ground into tiny pellets last night!
Vaping it in the NewVape Flower Pot and the difference is insane! Massive thick clouds!

Can't wait to try this grind in the herbo Ti and Glass Symphony!

Alexis

@Alexis

I have let my bud dry for most of the day in the open. Well i opened their mason jars and covered with a piece of paper towel for about 8 hours.

Threw some White Russian in the NewVape Fine Grinder and went to town.
Problem is i hit the concentrates this morning and my brain power has not booted up yet... Spent a few minutes surfing the web and grinding, it's so smooth!!
Opened the grinder to find the most finely ground material i have ever seen!!
This is the same bud that was ground into tiny pellets last night!
Vaping it in the NewVape Flower Pot and the difference is insane! Massive thick clouds!

Can't wait to try this grind in the herbo Ti and Glass Symphony!
The NVFG seems better all the time. Can you believe it Lazy, my XL Herborizer suddenly malfunctioned on thursday! I suddenly couldnt get any visible vapor from a fresh NVFG big load. It is making odd noises,,I emailed Verdampftnochmal, they replaced my faulty original injector last August. I am hoping the 2 year warranty applies to this injector as of last summer, and not when I bought it over 2 years ago.

If no joy I will go straight to Sebastian with a sob story :cry:;)!
I hope the guys at VDNM will sort me out.
I also got a new but secret for now vaporizer recently. Nothing that exciting, hardly tested it when the power supply played up, so Im waiting on a new one from USA!

So Im down to my Omnivap only now! I like it, but it wouldn't work for me I dont think as my only vape.

I think this has happened to me to stop me taking tbings for granted. I will be so pleased to get my XL working again, to really test out the NVFG vapor production and my new herb!:)

Friend Man

Studying the purchase of my next grinder, the finalists are:
- SLX v2-> by their anti-adherence
- NVFG -> by grinding fine

I have a GR8TR that would highlight because it never gets stuck and I would hate it for how dirty it gets to be ...

Ideas or advice ???

Personally I get a very fine grind with the SLX 2 by using it upside down (essentially making it a 2 piece) and twisting it 5- 10 times. Still twisting, turn it the right way up, then just twist 3-5 times until there is no resistance at all, meaning all the goods have fallen into the bottom chamber. The material is like a dense clumpy powder.

I am prioritizing a non-stick coating because it seems that I can always get a grind as fine as I want (which is very fine indeed) using repeated upside down twists, or just using a 2-piece for as long as required. Any other grind doesn't compare at all. The biggest drawback of this method is of course the grinder gunking up, and the subsequent loss of material. The non stick coating helps to combat this immensely, making it by far the most important feature for me :2c:. A quick brush after grinding a bunch of material, and it's like new.

Having said that the SLX 2.0 is certainly not perfect: the action isn't as smooth as other grinders I've seen, it scrapes a bit and produces a little scraping noise. The ring on the bottom part is loose (though perfectly functional). The magnet is positioned on the wrong side, and is too strong to the point that it compromises the turn.

It's still a nice solid thing, but from what I understand, of all the high-end grinders, you'll notice the build quality isn't as good with the SLX 2.0; no 'smooth as butter' comments here. BUT it decimates any material I put it it with very little effort, from dry crystal-y sativas to very gummy resinous indicas. As I say, the non-stick element is the priority for me (I don't need a smooth action if it's going to be rendered useless by grinder gunk after a couple of weeks), so the fact that there is a very noticeable difference in this area really does make up for it not being as flash as others.

Having said THAT, the SW2 was actually my first choice, so I'm happy to hear from @InterplanetaryTanner that the SW2 is now available in EU for a very reasonable price! After seeing the glowing reviews here I'll definitely pick one of those up next weekend. I'm considering a newvape too as a 'desktop' model, but I'm not sure what benefits they offer over any other two piece in terms of grind quality. Have you noticed any difference there @lazylathe ?

Last edited:

VapurrDo

i found i could get the best grind if i put a nug in the chamber(a small piece if the chamber is too small), i puff the nugg for a minute pull it out, crush it finelythen reload it in 2-3 buckets, only problem is it clogs screens faster

VapurrDo,
Reactions: steama

JCharles

After cleaning my grinders, I usually add a drop of mineral oil to a qtip and lightly apply a to the high friction areas on my grinders.

Leave it to do whatever it does for a few minutes, and I will gently wipe it again with a clean qtip.

This dramatically reduced the friction when using a grinder that doesn't have a smooth twist.

I haven't ever noticed it collecting anymore plant matter than a non treated ring.

Might work for some of you with medical conditions and or tough grinders

JCharles

Ive read some vapes work better with different grind consistencies (fine or course)

Why is this?

Id assume every vape would perform better with fine grind.

I dont know why, but my Pax 3 is supposed to do better with a fine grind and my Solo II is supposed to prefer a coarse grind.

I pre- grind my herb to coarse. And as it is used up things generally dry out and get a little closer to a fine grind.

It doesn't really make a lick of difference one way or the other as far as I can tell.

Note: The Solo pulls a bit more plant matter into the stem at a fine grind - but that does not impact vapour quality or production

Friend Man

The SLX 2 is an exceptional grinder but I never could get quite as fine a grind as I wanted with the SLX 2 using it upside-down or otherwise. The company printing 'Never Sticks' on the SLX 2 only pisses me off when it eventually sticks, like it always does. It should say 'Sticks Eventually'.

Finding out a few days ago I can clean all my grinders in hot soapy water with a firm tooth brush or denture brush in a few seconds changed everything. If grinders can be cleaned this simple and fast then there is less of a need for special non-stick coatings especially if they increase the price of the grinder.

Hot soapy water made me suddenly love all my grinders again. I would have never believed it.

There are some well built grinders out there from many companies. You can spend a little or a lot and get a decent grinder either way. The most important feature of any grinder is that you like it.

:)

Cleaning is a fine choice, it's what I was doing before (though not with dish soap, doesn't residue build up?) It is a hassle though, and as the gunk builds it tends to affect grind quality... but most importantly, that's wasted material being washed away! I'm looking to cut down on gumming at the source for that reason (being a skinflint). I wish there was just a non-grinder-destroying way of reclaiming it tbh, it's pretty nice

Whissmu

Personally I get a very fine grind with the SLX 2 by using it upside down (essentially making it a 2 piece) and twisting it 5- 10 times. Still twisting, turn it the right way up, then just twist 3-5 times until there is no resistance at all, meaning all the goods have fallen into the bottom chamber. The material is like a dense clumpy powder.

I am prioritizing a non-stick coating because it seems that I can always get a grind as fine as I want (which is very fine indeed) using repeated upside down twists, or just using a 2-piece for as long as required. Any other grind doesn't compare at all. The biggest drawback of this method is of course the grinder gunking up, and the subsequent loss of material. The non stick coating helps to combat this immensely, making it by far the most important feature for me :2c:. A quick brush after grinding a bunch of material, and it's like new.

Having said that the SLX 2.0 is certainly not perfect: the action isn't as smooth as other grinders I've seen, it scrapes a bit and produces a little scraping noise. The ring on the bottom part is loose (though perfectly functional). The magnet is positioned on the wrong side, and is too strong to the point that it compromises the turn.

It's still a nice solid thing, but from what I understand, of all the high-end grinders, you'll notice the build quality isn't as good with the SLX 2.0; no 'smooth as butter' comments here. BUT it decimates any material I put it it with very little effort, from dry crystal-y sativas to very gummy resinous indicas. As I say, the non-stick element is the priority for me (I don't need a smooth action if it's going to be rendered useless by grinder gunk after a couple of weeks), so the fact that there is a very noticeable difference in this area really does make up for it not being as flash as others.

Having said THAT, the SW2 was actually my first choice, so I'm happy to hear from @InterplanetaryTanner that the SW2 is now available in EU for a very reasonable price! After seeing the glowing reviews here I'll definitely pick one of those up next weekend. I'm considering a newvape too as a 'desktop' model, but I'm not sure what benefits they offer over any other two piece in terms of grind quality. Have you noticed any difference there @lazylathe ?

Thanks for your comments, I am very useful :clap:
Until now; My choice leaned towards the slx, I prefer a grinder that with a brush is clean and without residue of shoots, to that the grind is very fine but it is more dirty or its cleaning obliges to be more frequent:nope:
I'm still studying my right choice while saving the money, jus, jus :rofl:

MoltenTiger

The most important feature of any grinder is that you like it
but even more important than that, is what goes into it. It's all about exploding buds in a controlled fashion, and the buds are really what make all the difference.

As long as it ends up as intended, the grinder shouldn't even really be considered beyond its time of service.
For efficient vaping, chopped herb is generally best intended as medium-fine and very consistent in size. That consistency lends itself to a fluffy texture which fills up the most volume but allows an even and balanced air/energy distribution. Chunky/uneven chop will create air paths through select sections causing uneven extraction.

I really like my SLX as it is genuinely a great grinder, but I would consider ID SWII, SCS, SC, Mendo, and probably a number of other products I'm forgetting, on an equal tier.
New style Cali Crushers, Phoenician grinders, Compton grinders, Lift Innovations and a number of other grinders that veer from the more basic design generally end up making coarse and irregular grind, and whilst they might have the machining quality of the tier 1, they really don't belong there in regards to vaping.
They all grind herb, can be quality enough to enjoy, discreet enough to put aside and forget about, but the different products tend to different users better or worse.

SLX is a jack of all trades, great for vaping, great for smoking and great for use as a single grinder that is never out of commission.
The other models all have their own niceties, but the fact that soap and water are required at some point is a nuisance (an SLX does get dirty, but it never completely compromises the function, you could always chuck a nug in and grind it and 'wash it tomorrow', I've been doing that for over 18 months now and love it).

Grinders might be 'easy' to clean, but never cleaning and not having any consequences is a great feature I enjoy a lot. All that gets washed away is lost, I feel like I get nearly 100% of my material out of the SLX, where as grinders without a slick finish would destroy some product depending on the nature of it. I found especially moist or dense nugs would get condensed and ruined, where as the SLX handles most differing flower qualities fairly consistently (it chops it up and it all ends up in the next section ready for vaping).

2 piece grinders, or anything requiring frequent tooling of any kind, brush, scraper, I just couldn't be bothered with. It's much better to get a vape that isn't fussy with grind consistency at all and do whatever is easiest - which is SLX grinding. Save cleaning sessions for glass and vapes, that's enough hassle IMO

Gigsabits53

Just started using my SWII and I love it already! I really like the big bucket, way bigger than my other grinders. Seems to grind very easy. I did an upside down grind for a few turns and it turned out perfect. My bud has been stored in a C-vault with 62% humidity packs. The grind came out just perfect for my Underdog. I'm going to give it a few weeks and see how it is after some regular use. If I like it, I will buy another one. So far, so good!:)

Friend Man

For what it's worth, I smeared a tiny, tiny, (baby's pinky nail) amount of Vaseline around the inner rim of my SLX and the friction is completely gone. I've been using it for about a week and a half like that and it works better than new, with no discernible residue anywhere

Friend Man,

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
For what it's worth, I smeared a tiny, tiny, (baby's pinky nail) amount of Vaseline around the inner rim of my SLX and the friction is completely gone. I've been using it for about a week and a half like that and it works better than new, with no discernible residue anywhere

Yeah, that works great but I try to keep Vaseline away from my stash. Any lube will work fine. IME a little spit, or drop of hemp oil will work just as well even if it may need to be applied more often.

Just to be clear... this only for the outer rim and any silicone/neoprene washer - NOT for inside the grinding area.

Top Bottom