1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Herb Grinders

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by vtac, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Silat

Silat When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.

Video review of sorts:
    Click to play YouTube Video

2. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

I can stuff over 7g of preground into a classic jyarz... don't really see a better solution than that.

3. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

You'd probably have to change your name if you needed more than 7g on the go :p

Here's another vid of the rocket grinder @GreenHopper
    Click to play YouTube Video

It does look small, but seems okay quality.
    Very expensive for what it is

4. CuckFumbustion

CuckFumbustion Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.

Says "made in USA". However, I read the reviews on Amazon.:suspicious: Not sure if it is even worth the 10$ ny their accounts. The company/place that makes them seems low profile. Didn't find where they are at. Maybe the label was "made in USA". :\

If the Rocket grinder makes it easier to fill with it's special hole that would be helpful, But the inside threads near the bottom look like an area where particles will stick.
    Good idea that needs more tweaking. I also think it needs to be the next size up. Or it will be hard to turn with thicker nugs.

The smaller parts need to be a little larger and easier to keep together. I would even have it compatible enough to stick on the end of a doob tube, like a plug end.

EDIT - just saw the vids. it is larger than I first imagined. . which is good.

steama, MoltenTiger and GreenHopper like this.
  5. steama

steama Well-Known Member

Lift Innovations is just starting to ship.

It is all speculation on the condition of Lift Innovations, they could be dancing on rainbows. More so an observation that their product has been copied and reverse engineered in a few different forms and Lift Innovations is barely starting to take orders and ship. Hoping the best for Lift Innovations because they have created one badass grinder.

The Lift grinder is a premium piece of equipment no doubt about it. I honestly do not have a clue regarding the quality of materials and build of the Lincig grinder or some of the Chinese versions of this.

https://lift-innovations.com

6. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

I have, it looked good but there was concern of plastic threads getting into the ground material. I'm aware that this is solvable by looking in the device and removing stray threads but I'm not to keen on the device to be honest.

Thanks for the video.

I won't be getting one for the simple reason that I'd prefer to pre-grind with a proper grinder at home and then use a doob tube or equivalent whilst out and about.

I was just mostly posting it as I hadn't seen it on here before so thought I'd share.

Thanks all for your replies.

MoltenTiger and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  7. MoltenTiger

Yeah I raised those concerns, and I still have them, though for occasional use I don't think it's much of an issue. @JoeMama sanded his back, which would probably be a good idea, but I only use it if I'm out in public so I don't have to handle loose material. I've probably used it only a few times since I want to minimise the potential of vaping plastic.
    Plus, I prefer packing chambers normally, as I can get more control over how much I'm using per hit.
    Knowing how much is loaded would probably be an issue for the rocket grinder too.

JoeMama and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  8. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

@GreenHopper @MoltenTiger
    I as well do not use the Feeder much... only if I'm going to be out where I have to load stealthily.

Not because I don't trust the Feeder, but only because I like the ritual of manually filling the chamber.

Vapor_Eyes and MoltenTiger like this.
  9. MoltenTiger

10. Gregg K

Gregg K Vape my day!

I've had the Lift Innovations grinder for a few days. It changes everything. After 5 really tough months of waiting, I can say it was worth it.
    Instead of being a real chore, I can now grind up tiny amounts. This means it's easy to vape one strain, and then grind another strain and have another session. All without cleaning a grinder.
    But I think the best part is the uniform cut. I've got four strains here, and they all taste and vape differently with this grinder, than with the old style that just mushes everything.
    For the first time, I can try one strain and then another without a hassle.
    Also, I've found that with my previous grinding habit, I was filling huge bowls in the Mighty, and not getting high. Now with small bowls, I can finish it knowing it's completed, and move on to the next bowl. I just find I'm getting way higher.
    These are my habits. But they were encouraged by the archaic design of the typical grinder. This thing was way worth it.
    The photos are of what I would call a medium sized bong hit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MoltenTiger

Nice post on this elusive grinder.

I quite like the idea of this thing.
    I'm interested to know how often it needs cleaning? And if the blades are sharpened?

flotntoke, Vaponly, steama and 2 others like this.
  12. Gregg K

Gregg K Vape my day!

The blades are not sharpened. It just uses the edge of the blade moving past the stationary body to cut. I'm surprised how uniform it cuts.
    Also, it works better with a back and forth, rather than turning in one direction.
    So far it appears that cleaning is not something that has to happen very often. I've used it for a dozen grinds, and it's clean.
    The big benefit is that it's immediate. I dreaded grinding. Now I look forward to it.

13. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

I so need one of these new Lift grinders.....drrrooooool..... It sounds so far that nothing beats it?

lazylathe, Vaponly, steama and 2 others like this.
  14. MoltenTiger

Certainly sounds good!
    Does the blade spin 1:1 with the handle? Is the idea to spin it quickly, or does it just slice through material?

Sorry for the questions Gregg, but it's just too interesting.

I am still very happy with my SLX over a year later, so I don't think I'll be buying anything soon.
    But the Lift would be the best competition I guess

lazylathe, flotntoke, Vaponly and 4 others like this.
  15. Gregg K

Gregg K Vape my day!

The blade is connected to the top piece. It turns with the same amount as the hand part.
    The cool factor is amazing. As a designer and machinist, I can say this thing has a lot of work put into it. I get up in the morning, and look at it. It's just one of those pieces of equipment I love.

lazylathe, flotntoke, Vaponly and 4 others like this.
  16. Vapor_Eyes

Vapor_Eyes unfiltered

The Lift will be my next grinder, I'll buy one once it's widely available and had a few more reviews. The main reason is I've recently decided I want a finer grind for my cannabis, so the ability to switch grind sizes easily is a great feature.

I know the GR8TR has a lot of fans but it has too many reports of quality concerns for my liking, and customer service seems inconsistent at best.

The New Vape fine grinder is tempting but I'm not a fan of 2-piece grinders and would prefer a 3 or 4 piece. This also rules out the MFLB finishing grinder for me.

17. steama

steama Well-Known Member

The Lift is most likely the best grinder on the market and I have owned many of them. This grinder design changes everything. It is that much superior to the old traditional grinder design. The comparison is not even close in every aspect of grinding herb. I have retired all my top of the line SCS, SC, and Mendos away and I will never use them again, not even for fond memories. I am going to pick-up another Lift grinder when they come out with the gold anodizing.

:2c:

lazylathe, flotntoke, Vaponly and 5 others like this.
  18. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

OMG please stop it already!!! Killing meeeee!!!!

Thanks for the great feedback!!! This is incredible! :rockon:

EDIT: Trigger pulled! 3 piece + coarse and fine plates!

Says it will be shipped in March!

@lazylathe you should be getting yours any day now?? You will love it for your new Grasshopper! I'm ditching the kannastor after the Lift arrives....I can't afford two vapes of this value lol $110cdn for the 3 piece and 2 extra grinding plates. I know it will be worth every penny though!

@steama do you have a kannastor? so the SCS does nothing the Lift can do? Just wondering if I will have a need to keep the kannastor too...maybe it grinds finer with the fine plate or something, but I doubt it....sounds like the lift does everything perfectly.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    lazylathe, Gregg K, flotntoke and 5 others like this.
  19. Winegums

Winegums Sticky and chewy Accessory Maker

My biggest concern is the crank and shaft in the lift grinder. The most common points of failure on all crank grinders.

Is there a bearing in the grinder where the shaft is attached? They don't show it in any pictures on their site.

Vapor_Eyes and muunch like this.
  20. Gregg K

Gregg K Vape my day!

The crank is beefy. No chance of that thing having issues. The bearing is a bushing made of some kind of nylon.
    Just the cleaning aspect of this grinder makes it worth it. After a 1/4 ounce, it had a little resin on the blades and upper housing. It took all of five minutes to clean it up.
    I'm totally in love with this thing. Best piece of paraphernalia I've ever bought. I think the Mighty has design flaws, but not this grinder. I'm a mechanical engineer/designer. I found this grinder while getting ready to design one myself, only to stumble on something very much like what I was going to build.

21. natural farmer

natural farmer Well-Known Member

I am kind of puzzled about this new Lift grinder... :hmm:
    It is supposed to cut, so even if a different design from old grinders it is still cutting. Wasn't this the problem with moist and very resinous herbs and why we all loved the SCS? Cause SCS shreds, dividing the bud instead of cutting... I love my SCS cause of that. Fluffy is the name of the game for me. It is also more economic like that cause fluffy herb takes more space in a bowl that non-fluffy.
    And if the blades are not very sharp as I have read here then how easily can it cut wet-ish material?

22. MoltenTiger

I don't follow that logic, my SLX has seen what might be approaching a pound of herb and I've never had to clean it (beyond brushing kief into a bowl).
    It's over a year old, and while it shows some signs of age, it's still grinding better than my old grinder did new, and still producing kief like a champion.

I just bought a few for different people and the finish on the newer production is glossy and seemingly much improved/more durable. Grinding with one was insane, I think better than mine ever was, it took a quarter turn to fluff up a bud.. super sharp teeth, perfectly even chop and non-stick and no cleaning, just super efficient and easy kief collection.

I think the Lift grinder is very cool in its mechanism and function, but I am not convinced it's worth swaying from my current solution

23. Winegums

Winegums Sticky and chewy Accessory Maker

I'd have used a sealed food grade bearing, much better in the long run for their type of design.

I also had an idea for an industrial shredder inspired grinder with a side crank.

24. phattpiggie

phattpiggie Well-Known Member Accessory Maker

I'm still not sure about the Lift grinder @natural farmer, I've watched a few videos of it now and it looks to work well but as you say slightly moist of resinous material may give different results.

I can't see how it wouldn't just spin the load over the blade and it just end up tumbled.

Having used my present grinder for decades I should really treat myself but at that money I think I'll wait for mine to collapse on me.

25. Gregg K

Gregg K Vape my day!

All I know is I've used both kinds of grinders, and there isn't even a comparison. I am not sure how it grinds. It seems to separate rather than grind. Whatever works. This is actually a pleasure to use. One of the reasons I like it so much is I know good design when I see it. They put a ton of effort into this. I think it tears buds between the upper part of the housing, and the blade. The blade isn't that close to it, so it sort of tears it up, and the parts that are small enough fall through the sieve plate.
    This is the area that has a small flat face that probably does shear the buds. The blade passes pretty close to it. It's just one cool item. [​IMG]

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors