Herb Grinders

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
A lot of people take being called "ignorant" as an insult, so I'd take this as an unofficial warning from an official source to avoid using that term for other members here.
Warning taken. I'm truly sorry and ashamed.

As for needing an o-ring on a grinder, it's clear that you've never used my favorite brand. MixnBall grinders are no longer being produced, but I've been using them for almost ten years and they neither use nor require o-rings. They don't need lubricant either, just cleaning like any other brand, and you never need to worry about replacing a damaged or worn o-ring. The metal to metal contact doesn't result in any wear worth worrying about and they turn just fine, just not as quiet as with the o-ring design, although they do not squeak. I've used my 2 piece MixnBalls for many years, both the 2" and 3" sizes and they still do a great job. And steel on steel is a surprising term. Metal grinders are almost universally aluminum.
That is a neat grinder! Thanks for showing me, I didn't think steel on steel would work?

What happens if particles of bud get on the mating surfaces?

little maggie

I usually alternate between the SCS and Gr8tr and like both, I've had no problems with either. I have a couple of others I don't use because they are too clunky. Somehow in a brainless moment I ordered the Lift which will be coming soon.

biohacker

omehow in a brainless moment I ordered the Lift which will be coming soon.

Brainless? The Lift Innovations grinder is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. I value and appreciate those members that have taken the time to report their experiences enough to have not only pulled the trigger (hoping for this week's delivery) but also preemptively already sold my Kannastor GR8TR solid body in order to fund it!

I personally cannot wait! :rockon:

Thanks again for the early adopters that took the time to provide the feedback to get my stoke on! :tup:

biohacker

Received my Lift innovations 3 piece with all 3 grind plates and I must say I have mixed feelings about it. The quality is incredible including the packaging. Very professional, and the quality of the grinder itself is top shelf. Very heavy feel to it. Grinding is like butter, although IMHO takes a bit too long to get through the material.

Changing plates is super easy, as is the operation since it's just turn and click. Unfortunately i'm still uncertain if I like the grind consistency that comes out of this. I find both the coarse and regular plates completely useless because the grind is way too coarse and uneven with hard BB sized pieces. The fine plate is decent, but still not as even and fluffy as i'd like it to be.

It's still early, but I kinda now wish I kept my Kannastor, and I think I may pickup a SCS 3 piece since it's the fluffiest and most even grind i've experienced. It just seems to me that the Lift is better suited to combusting than vaping. Just my initial experience so far!

biohacker

So more usage, and @lazylathe came over to test it out, and we used it with the Sublimator, Herborizer XL, Vapocane, and Inhalater 6S this time around. He also brought over his kannastor vape gr8tr for comparisons.

The included plate and the coarse plates are write-offs as far as i'm concerned. Maybe some of you guys shred tobacco or like a chunky grind for combustion, but i'll only be using the fine plate as i'm sure most owners of this grinder who vape will too.

Everything is awesome about this grinder pretty much! Just still maintain that the grind is fine enough, but not even enough compared to others i've experienced. I see too many hard tiny pieces getting pushed through those holes. Perhaps if they had an even finer plate, it would be the perfect grinder.... pretty easy for them to do.

Moving on....

Curious about the SCS 3 piece.....are the holes the same size for the medium vs large? Same grind consistency? Just a different size right?

Any other 3 piece grinders to consider? Ones that have a finer uniform grind, or medium uniform grind..other than the kannastor gr8tr..

Thanks!:rockon:

Last edited:

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
Medium 3 peice SCS is the bees knees imo

So more usage, and @lazylathe came over to test it out, and we used it with the Sublimator, Herborizer XL, Vapocane, and Inhalater 6S this time around. He also brought over his kannastor vape gr8tr for comparisons.

The included plate and the coarse plates are write-offs as far as i'm concerned. Maybe some of you guys shred tobacco or like a chunky grind for combustion, but i'll only be using the fine plate as i'm sure most owners of this grinder who vape will too.

Everything is awesome about this grinder pretty much! Just still maintain that the grind is fine enough, but not even enough compared to others i've experienced. I see too many hard tiny pieces getting pushed through those holes. Perhaps if they had an even finer plate, it would be the perfect grinder.... pretty easy for them to do.

Moving on....

Curious about the SCS 3 piece.....are the holes the same size for the medium vs large? Same grind consistency? Just a different size right?

Any other 3 piece grinders to consider? Ones that have a finer uniform grind, or medium uniform grind..other than the kannastor gr8tr..

Thanks!:rockon:

biohacker

I strictly prefer to use a 2 piece Grinder in all situations.

Thanks Vito, I prefer to have a container catch the herb so I don't have to grind and then make a mess dumping it out, plus the potential of "overgrinding". I know there are workarounds, but they always just seem to require more brushing and maintenance. But everyone has different needs. I'm allergic to contact with herb on sensitive skin, so need the squeekiest clean environment, and a 3 piece makes this possible, or at least helps.

Medium 3 peice SCS is the bees knees imo

I have bigger hands, so need the large size otherwise i'll get too frustrated. But only if the grind out of the large is the same as the medium... i'd imagine so?

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I always go for at least a 3 piece grinder. I like to minimize herb and trichs being handled, and you cannot do that when using a 2piece

FlyingLow,
Reactions: biohacker

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
Thanks Vito, I prefer to have a container catch the herb so I don't have to grind and then make a mess dumping it out, plus the potential of "overgrinding". I know there are workarounds, but they always just seem to require more brushing and maintenance. But everyone has different needs. I'm allergic to contact with herb on sensitive skin, so need the squeekiest clean environment, and a 3 piece makes this possible, or at least helps.

I have bigger hands, so need the large size otherwise i'll get too frustrated. But only if the grind out of the large is the same as the medium... i'd imagine so?

Not sure if the grind is any different but if you have large hands, then get the large grinder. Medium one is on the small size

XiolaOne,
Reactions: biohacker

biohacker

I know, i've had the medium sized 3 piece....most even and fluffiest grind i've seen, although slightly on the coarser side. It was hard on my hands....but i'll accept it if it means a finer grind than the Large.

biohacker,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I can't seem to get an even grind with any grinder really unless I turn upside down at least for a bit... Just speaking about SCS really though, I do love my new three piece though. Still curious about the Lift, but you have me doubting now, may stick with trying the SLX2.0 next as I originally planned since it's also a three piece without the kief catch basket inserted and I have an Amazon giftcard that could make it discounted for me... But the new SCS 3piece has me satisfied for the most part, except how the trichromes stick and having to flip upside down ofcourse

unsorted

Received my Lift innovations 3 piece with all 3 grind plates and I must say I have mixed feelings about it. The quality is incredible including the packaging. Very professional, and the quality of the grinder itself is top shelf. Very heavy feel to it. Grinding is like butter, although IMHO takes a bit too long to get through the material.

Changing plates is super easy, as is the operation since it's just turn and click. Unfortunately i'm still uncertain if I like the grind consistency that comes out of this. I find both the coarse and regular plates completely useless because the grind is way too coarse and uneven with hard BB sized pieces. The fine plate is decent, but still not as even and fluffy as i'd like it to be.

It's still early, but I kinda now wish I kept my Kannastor, and I think I may pickup a SCS 3 piece since it's the fluffiest and most even grind i've experienced. It just seems to me that the Lift is better suited to combusting than vaping. Just my initial experience so far!

I have had my Lift grinder since late October. I have to admit that I initially thought the same as you about the grind consistency. It didn't seem very "fine" even with the fine sifting plate. I agree that I likely will not be using the medium and large plates at all. But after continuing to use it, I now believe that I get better vaping efficiency with the Lift than my shredder type grinder.
My perception is that the slightly coarser material that the Lift produces doesn't pack as tightly in my
E-nano/Solo/Air stems and gongs. The shards, chunks, and curls of the "Lift grind" leaves more gaps, cracks, and fissures for the hot air to penetrate. Now my loads are cashed in half as many draws. My previous grinder seem to create finer, more uniform "flakes" that packed more tightly and made for a little more restriction to the draw.
Aside from that, I also really like the fact that it's easy to stuff those three receptacles full of material and produce enough to nearly half-fill a Jyarz classic in one batch. To me, that's a great benefit. Grinding is not a hassle with the Lift.

But we all have our preferences.....TEHO

biohacker

Actually, now that i've used it more i've liked it better. I find that the grind is very dependent on the bud. I have seen a fairly uniform grind, but nothing like a GR8TR, which is like the industry standard for fine grind IMO (the vape plate). Still overall this grinder is not for me.

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
Been using Kannastor GR8TR vape edition for 5 months and been loving it. Needed to wash it once, the resin build-up became too much for the small holes but overall a sick grinder that makes my vapes that much better.

That being said anyone know where I can find and SLX 2-piece? I've wanted to try that out for a while.

Oh, here's my video on the Kannastor for a little show and tell:

Vitolo

Vaporist
I enjoy using a 2 piece.
My preferred method is to stuff it...shut it... and turn it sideways, as a tire in relation to
the ground, and I grind.... back and forth, and a couple of spins in one direction.
I then open it over a cookie can lid I have used for MANY years... open it and I knock both halves together over the lid. If any trichs stick, I run my SSV stir tool or any metal pick around the edges, and knock again.
Stays pretty clean in there... I do give an Iso bath about once a year.
Iso Bath for Grinder

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
it's also a three piece without the kief catch basket inserted and I have an Amazon giftcard that could make it discounted for me...

I have used mine for well over a year & it still works brilliantly. The only time I have had inconsistent grind is when I overload it, otherwise it is perfect for my VapCap's, UD & Air. I have heard questionable reports on the small size but the large has been good enough for me to not want another grinder. The Lyft is the only other one that has me interested.

@Vitolo you should check out the New Vape ti 2 piece grinder. Looks like it could be well suited for you having such a large diameter for extra leverage when grinding.

fine_grinder2-175x175.jpg

@Creeper click on the SLX link in my sig. They have a list of sellers on their website.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I use primarily my Space Case small or SCS small.
I have medium SC and SCS grinders, and a couple of large ones, but for some reason it hurts my hands to twist with a wider grasp.
I checked out the NewVape, and will consider it... but the 3 inch outer measurements scare me a bit.
I will keep an eye on it and think about giving it a go.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@Creeper SLX has their own website and you can buy them off of Amazon. I've had my 4 piece grinder for 6 months. A very reputable company, I had some of the finish rub off the SLX and they sent me another piece. You can take out the kief tray and turn it into a 3 piece.

When I was looking for a new grinder I never realized what an individual choice it is. I went through a couple before I settled on the one I really liked.

The SLX will grind right through the sticky bud like Gorilla Glue and it won't get stuck. I have the 2 inch size.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have used mine for well over a year & it still works brilliantly. The only time I have had inconsistent grind is when I overload it, otherwise it is perfect for my VapCap's, UD & Air. I have heard questionable reports on the small size but the large has been good enough for me to not want another grinder. The Lyft is the only other one that has me interested.

@Vitolo you should check out the New Vape ti 2 piece grinder. Looks like it could be well suited for you having such a large diameter for extra leverage when grinding.

fine_grinder2-175x175.jpg

@Creeper click on the SLX link in my sig. They have a list of sellers on their website.

Yeah was planning on large since my shredders are mediums, though I really don't grind that much in one sitting very often these days... Actually probably using less overall lately, and definitely grinding less at a time, never really stuff anymore. If I do need to grind more to pack and take with, I'll do a couple loads and pack full, but I always tear into small nugs anyway so again never stuffed. So it still seems like the SLX will likely be a pretty good choice for me though, I know you are a big fan! :p

@Vitolo I do that too with my shredders since I use em like two pieces with holding chambers (sometimes I knock it back into the grinder instead of a container, but usually poking it all out on a clean table spot). Haven't cleaned my new SCS since using it (cleaned before use) and only cleaned my last one once. Easy to do though and would help keep it turning well, leaving behind nice oil even, but I just use those cartridges now anyway (also part of why I don't need to pre grind much very often as of late, but I hope that could change soon with new vapes)

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
@CarolKing they do look awesome but I'm more then happy with my Kannastor as a 3 piece unit.

If anyone decides they want to part with the SLX 206 hit me up. :brow:

little maggie

This is so individual. I've tried quite a few grinders including the SLX and didn't like it. I didn't find that it was less sticky than my kannastor. I mainly use the kannastor and scs 3 piece and so far those work best for me. What I like about the kannastor is that I use the top section to store ground herbs and the bottom to hold a different ground herb. I mainly grind just within a day of using so this is the pefect size for holding a small ground amount.

biohacker

I just wanted to say that I think using a 4 piece like a 3 piece isn't the same. I'll explain... the Kannastor for instance.... the 3 piece is a completely different grinder from the 4 piece (using as a 3). The 3 piece has a much larger herb bowl and finger scoop curves....and it has a small top piece that is harder to use/turn IME. The 4 piece without kif screen catcher has just the smaller herb catch area, but has that huge ass top. So, ideally, since the vape edition doesn't come with a coarse screen, i'd like the 4 piece (both screens) but the i'd like the BOTTOM section of the vape gr8tr. Hope that makes sense, I think i'm going to email kannastor about it.

The SLX as 3 piece is the same I think....way too low profile, and would be more cumbersome to use than an actually designed 3 piece IMO.

I've been thinking about what you said @unsorted about the slightly coarser pieces in the Lift, and do agree with you... I can see how a fluffy shred in the SCS would vape up way faster and differently than the Lift.

Just goes to prove what @little maggie says that it's all so individual (like vapes!), and that sometimes, for someone like me anyway, you may need multiple grinders for different purposes. I just love variety, definitely the spice of life!

Top Bottom