Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
rayski said:
I'm a little surprised that such an exceptional product doesn't come with an exceptional warranty. The 2yr warranty(according to GotVape-- no mention of warranty at Greatfulbuys that I can see) doesn't stand up to the Mendo Muncher's lifetime warranty.
I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't have a problem with a manufacturer's defect in the first two years (at least with a grinder), you're not gonna have one a year or two later. As for a lifetime warranty, it's more about the lifetime of the company offering it than how long you're gonna be grinding herb. And we've already had a member here get the run around (or no response?) from Mendo about a defective grinder.

max,

rayski

Thanks Max!
With the 15% discount, and after having returned my call on a Sunday, I was happy to shop at Greatfulbuys.

About the Mendo: Dave at http://myworld.ebay.com/roxndave/ represents himself as the manufacturer and does look like the same guy pictured at www. mendomulcher.com. I think this would probably be the best place to purchase one now.

rayski,

The_Algebraist

For my setup I'm very pleased with my 4 piece Space Case. Last night I loaded a tiny amount of herb into my SSV, scooped up some kief, and four people got very very very very very high. We probably milked a good 20 hits from the damn load. The kief is magical shit. We then loaded a stem of just kief into the PD a couple hours later an milked a good dozen hits off one stem.

If we had packed this shit into a bowl we might have pulled 3 or 4 hits tops.

The_Algebraist,

SometimesY

I have a 2.25" Mendo Mulcher, which I use for my Volcano. It grinds to medium consistency, which I think works well. It can tear through just about anything, regardless of moisture content, and has capacity to grind for two loads (or one fat joint).

As has been pointed out, the lip around the screen traps a lot of kief. However, the grinder needs to be cleaned every so often so the screen continues to work, and I find an occasional ISO wash does the trick, so you get all of the other trapped kif back, too. So, it doesn't bother me that much that it's stuck there, as I know I'll get it back eventually. It's not like there are any parts where kief would be dropping out when you unscrew the sections (unless you've got it upside down).

It does not have a gasket between the magnetic top and the screen section, so you've got aluminum-on-aluminum when you turn it. There's a lip there, so there's no way for aluminum shavings to end up in the grinder chamber, but a gasket still would have been nice.

I'm very happy with my grinder. If I were to lose it, I'd get another one immediately.

SometimesY,

max

Out to lunch
It does not have a gasket between the magnetic top and the screen section, so you've got aluminum-on-aluminum when you turn it. There's a lip there, so there's no way for aluminum shavings to end up in the grinder chamber, but a gasket still would have been nice.
Yeah I've got a 3" Mendo (too big for my tastes). The lack of an o-ring is not a problem. I've rubbed my finger over the area many times and never found any metal dust.

max,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
anyone here have a 2pc SC? i was wondering about the fineness of the grind as opposed to all the other grinders that arent 2 piece.

illadelph,

ILoveRadiohead!

illadelph said:
anyone here have a 2pc SC? i was wondering about the fineness of the grind as opposed to all the other grinders that arent 2 piece.
Essentially any two piece grinder that has a decent amount of teeth allows for a very fine of grind since you can just keep twisting the two parts as long as you want. Even with a two part plastic grinder it's possible to get a super fine grind.

While I considered getting a both a two piece grinder and a kief box I've found that you can get a pretty fine consistency with a most kief collecting grinders as well. I just take the top two parts and grind with the hole side up while grinding to pretty much any i need.

ILoveRadiohead!,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I recently picked up a 4 piece chromium crusher and i like it....it was cheap, works very well - smooth rotation and nice ground consistency - and it even came with a felt carry case.

jeffp,

max

Out to lunch
Did you get the original nickel/steel or the newer, lightweight aluminum? The new style also has a lot fewer teeth and holes. I've got both but personally prefer the new style, although the heavier original has a better 'feel' to it.

max,

ILoveRadiohead!

For anyone who is interested I went ahead and ordered the cosmic grinder mentioned here:

ZachintheGreen said:
Cosmic 2.75" 4 Piece - I've heard only great things about the Cosmic, but the vendor seems iffy. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, the price is unbelievable, I'm not too sure what they mean by "mini 4 piece" and "space case technology."
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosmic-2-75-Tri...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

The Space Case titaniums look amazing, but I'm not too sure if I'm willing to spend that much :p

If anyone has any insight on these I'd really appreciate it.
I was apprehensive at the description as well but I went ahead and ordered it. It arrived in the mail yesterday and it turns out to be an actual Cosmic grinder of 2.5" diameter and 2" high not 2.75" or mini like in the description.

I have to use it some more before I can pass judgment but so far it seems really well manufactured and nicely designed. From what I can recall it weighs more than any other grinder of that approximate size that I've held. Maybe close to a 3/4 pound, I'll have to weigh it for sure. Overall it seems like a steal for $45 shipped. I've only handled space cases in the store but this grinder seems as close to one as I've ever seen.

Here are a few pics.

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

ILoveRadiohead!,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
It sure looks nice! How is the grind? Puzzling arrangement of the holes, but then again, you never know.... keep is tuned in to how the thing is working out for you ILR. :)

SpiralArchitect,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
max said:
Did you get the original nickel/steel or the newer, lightweight aluminum? The new style also has a lot fewer teeth and holes. I've got both but personally prefer the new style, although the heavier original has a better 'feel' to it.
sorry for the late response - just looking at this thread now. i just bought it's the newer line and I opted for the "red" which looks pretty cool. yes, less teeth than the ebay space case knockoff i had but it works really well and has a nice tactile feel to it, and like i said, smooth rotation. a good inexpensive grinder. it's just as heavy as the knockoff, by the way. i guess the older model was heavier.

jeffp,

UrDoinItWrong

I was told by the owner of my local shop that the Cosmic grinders are made by a regrouped bunch of former SpaceCase employees. He goes to all the smoke/vape trade shows and runs a very reputable high-end head shop, so I trust his info.

I think I am going to buy the 4pc spacecase scout, seems like a great option as it has the 3mm grind, but DAMN that seems tiny dimensions for a grinder! I hope I don't have to grip it with my fingertips, haha. So maybe I will end up going with the 4pc small titanium, both seem like good options.

UrDoinItWrong,

mittens.glittens

Hey ILoveRadiohead! That cosmic looks awesome. I really need a good 4 pc grinder for vaping. good and large 3 mm hole grinders are hard to find. Is the screen loose or is it connected to the section? Would it be possible to grind some herb, flip the grinder upside down to grind more w/o it falling down the holes and then flip it back over without the screen moving around?

Thanks!

mittens.glittens,

max

Out to lunch
mittens.glittens said:
Hey ILoveRadiohead! That cosmic looks awesome. I really need a good 4 pc grinder for vaping. good and large 3 mm hole grinders are hard to find. Is the screen loose or is it connected to the section? Would it be possible to grind some herb, flip the grinder upside down to grind more w/o it falling down the holes and then flip it back over without the screen moving around?

Thanks!
"good and large 3 mm hole grinders are hard to find." That statement is confusing. The Cosmic that's pictured has large holes (much larger than 3mm) like the new aluminum CNC Chromium Crusher. You get 3mm holes on the 4 pc. Space Case Scout, which is a very small grinder. A grinder with 3mm holes is extremely hard to find.

jeffp said:
[max wrote: Did you get the original nickel/steel or the newer, lightweight aluminum? The new style also has a lot fewer teeth and holes. I've got both but personally prefer the new style, although the heavier original has a better 'feel' to it.]

sorry for the late response - just looking at this thread now. i just bought it's the newer line and I opted for the "red" which looks pretty cool. yes, less teeth than the ebay space case knockoff i had but it works really well and has a nice tactile feel to it, and like i said, smooth rotation. a good inexpensive grinder. it's just as heavy as the knockoff, by the way. i guess the older model was heavier.
Yeah, I like the looks of the red or the black, although I went with the silver. The orginal Chromium Crusher (nickel and steel) is a heavy sucker- my 54mm version weighs 179g. The 55mm aluminum Crusher is only 109g. The 60mm Space Case Titanium is 156g.

max,

mittens.glittens

max said:
mittens.glittens said:

Thanks!
"good and large 3 mm hole grinders are hard to find." That statement is confusing. The Cosmic that's pictured has large holes (much larger than 3mm) like the new aluminum CNC Chromium Crusher. You get 3mm holes on the 4 pc. Space Case Scout, which is a very small grinder. A grinder with 3mm holes is extremely hard to find.
Oh, I just meant that I was looking for a grinder that has a large diameter (like 2.5in or larger) and still had ~3mm holes. But I was really just wondering if the screen moved around when rotated or was very secure in place. Sorry for the confusion, happy vaping :D

mittens.glittens,

ILoveRadiohead!

mittens.glittens said:

Thanks!
The screen is very secure. I don't know about flipping the whole thing upside down because kief might go back through the mesh screen but I myself have taken to using just the top two parts that way.

ILoveRadiohead!,

max

Out to lunch
mittens.glittens said:
max said:
mittens.glittens said:

Thanks!
Oh, I just meant that I was looking for a grinder that has a large diameter (like 2.5in or larger) and still had ~3mm holes. But I was really just wondering if the screen moved around when rotated or was very secure in place. Sorry for the confusion, happy vaping :D
I seriously doubt you could find even a 2" grinder with 3mm holes. You've got to go with a small size to get small holes. As for the screen, I've never seen even the cheapest 4 pc. have a loose screen, and I've got one where the shipping (about $5) cost more than the grinder.

graywulf said:
could those teeth break off from the plastic?
I would think so. I certainly wouldn't want to grind with metal teeth fixed to plastic. A 100% CNC made grinder is best. It's completely made from a solid piece of aluminum. The teeth aren't 'fixed' to the grinder. They're cut from the solid metal. I bought one of these, and I think it's the best deal on a 4 pc. CNC you'll find. You even get a 1 yr. warranty from the seller (original CC distributor). Can't beat it for $17.
CNC Chromium Crusher

max,

HiC

So I got one of those CNC Chromium Crushers from E-bay recently and I noticed it came with a pretty good scratch and some nicks in the bottom section where the kief collects. I'm just wondering, with all this talk about flaking aluminum, if this scratch could somehow contaminate my kief. I know it's silly but I just wanted to check to see what you all thought. Here's a kinda blurry pic of the scratch.

10icwso.jpg

HiC,

mittens.glittens

ILoveRadiohead! said:
mittens.glittens said:

Thanks!
The screen is very secure. I don't know about flipping the whole thing upside down because kief might go back through the mesh screen but I myself have taken to using just the top two parts that way.
Cool, thanks for the info guys. How is the cosmic working over the past couple days? I think I might order the 2.75'' 4 pc cosmic soon

mittens.glittens,

max

Out to lunch
HiC said:
So I got one of those CNC Chromium Crushers from E-bay recently and I noticed it came with a pretty good scratch and some nicks in the bottom section where the kief collects. I'm just wondering, with all this talk about flaking aluminum, if this scratch could somehow contaminate my kief. I know it's silly but I just wanted to check to see what you all thought. Here's a kinda blurry pic of the scratch.
No. Don't worry about it. Is that a black one? From the pic it looks more like the orginal nickel/steel model.

max,

HiC

max said:
No. Don't worry about it. Is that a black one? From the pic it looks more like the orginal nickel/steel model.
Yeah, it's black. It's supposed to be one of the new models. It has 12 holes, 12 lower teeth and 16 upper teeth. One weird thing is it came in a plain little box with no label or instructions. The grinder does say Chromium Crusher on the top, though, and I got it from grinderprince on E-bay who has great feedback, so I assume it's legit.

Man, it seems like every time I order something online it comes with some minor defect or blemish that eats away at my brain, tempting me to return it. It's probably fine though, eh? One scratch and just a couple little nicks. Nothing appears to be flaking off.

HiC,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
I am thinking of getting a coffee grinder to do my grinding. There are two types, spinning blade and burr mill. Has anyone used a burr mill grinder on their herb?

DeepFried,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
i have a blade coffee grinder but i think it grinds material too finely for vaporizing, to the point where air flow may be obstructed.
i use it though, with great success, for preparing spent vaporizables for eating.

jeffp,
Top Bottom