Herb Grinders

Looper

Sorry to sound a bit stupid, I checked the glossary of acronyms but what's an SCS?

I'm in the market for a new grinder but prob need some guidance
Santa Cruz Shredder. Really nice grinder. One of the best grinders you can get.

Fuck it, for $40, threadless, magnets... I went in for a try.

Threadless, magnets, pollen catcher is something I've been wanting for a while now. If the teeth are sub-optimal, I guess I'll find out.

Thanks Hexi for taking the plunge. Post a review when it comes in. :D Definitely want to see how the grind is.

Looper,

klipsch

Received my Medium SCS today and it exceeds all my expectations. What a quality piece of equipment! I cannot recommend it enough. I'm still flabbergasted at the poor quality of the Spacecase TI. The SCS is exponentially better in every way.

Also, can anyone recommend a particular herb to do a dry run to remove any microscopic burrs?

Last edited:

Maine420

GROOVY GRANNY
Hey Guys. There is a new herb grinder that I found that seems really promising. I'm new to the forums, so sorry for the bad format on the posting. Really nice grinder and at a great pricing. The teeths look similar to the SCS. Here's a link to their website. Below is a picture that tells you how it differentiates from other grinders.

http://sharpshreddagrinders.com/product/black-4-piece-2-sharp-shredda/
Ok, just ordered this! Should be here Saturday. My hands and forearms will be very grateful. I've been using the a cheap one that came with my EQ! Not good enough for someone with fibromyalgia!

max

Out to lunch
Hey Guys. There is a new herb grinder that I found that seems really promising. I'm new to the forums, so sorry for the bad format on the posting. Really nice grinder and at a great pricing. The teeths look similar to the SCS. Here's a link to their website. Below is a picture that tells you how it differentiates from other grinders.

Their advertising is funny- other grinders will practically fall apart in your hands. "Tired of cheap low quality grinders that don’t last 5 minutes? :rolleyes: It's also misleading, since the problems they list with other brands don't exist anymore, at least as long as you avoid grinders from gas stations. As for their tooth design, I don't get it. I've got a $15 model with more cutting edges than this. Decent price though, and they do have a money back guarantee. That may tempt me to see how "revolutionary" the design is. I don't get the lack of other sizes. I guess they're testing the waters to see if there'll be enough demand to keep making 'em and offer other sizes.

max,

Hexi

Their advertising is funny- other grinders will practically fall apart in your hands. "Tired of cheap low quality grinders that don’t last 5 minutes? :rolleyes: It's also misleading, since the problems they list with other brands don't exist anymore, at least as long as you avoid grinders from gas stations. As for their tooth design, I don't get it. I've got a $15 model with more cutting edges than this. Decent price though, and they do have a money back guarantee. That may tempt me to see how "revolutionary" the design is. I don't get the lack of other sizes. I guess they're testing the waters to see if there'll be enough demand to keep making 'em and offer other sizes.

Well I got mine. Too early for a full review but here are my impressions

Good
  • Sturdy
  • Exterior design is fantastic, nice flat edges to grip
  • Excellent design on the screen. There is an angle that catches the finest grind and then guides it down/in
  • Magnets! How do dey werk?
  • Less threading!
  • Great size
  • Super easy to use and handle
  • Price
Not good
  • The teeth design
  • The hole design
  • The asinine logo
BTW I paid $35ish for mine I think on amazon (+free ship).

So yeah, unfortunately the teeth keep this thing from ascending to the ranks. It literally shreds the herb, while I wont pass full judgement because the Blackberry Kush I had is really long and leafy to start, this is what I did.

Drop in a small bud, grind... 95% of the bud was shredded in long pieces and those pieces easily fall through the holes. But they are big. I popped them back in and tried again, no extra shredding, just falls right through the holes.

So I took that and put it in my smaller space case. And of course the Space Case grinded it into fine powder.

So this "sharp shredda" solves every problem I had with my space case, but it doesn't grind fine enough... which is sort of like... how? How do you get all the way to production and the 1 critical function is not up to snuff?

However their promise is fluffs your herb in seconds. Which is no lie. It fluffs the herb. But it doesn't grind it fine. It feels like this was meant for people who want to roll huge blunts.

I will say this, it is one nice looking piece of hardware, it just doesn't grind enough. (for now)

I will try other strains later but just looking at the teeth and holes kinda leaves you wondering who thought that up and why are so many other facets of the grinder so awesome yet the key functionality is sub-par for what I need.

They also have a 100% money-back guarantee, so if you don't like it...
    • Did We Say 100% Guaranteed?

When we say that every product is backed by our 100% guarantee...

...We Mean It...

If there are any issues what so ever, our dedicated customer support team will work with you to ensure your complete satisfaction.

For only $35 I'm keeping mine and going to see how I can work with it. The threadless pollen catcher, + the design of how it funnels is really slick.

Last edited:

Looper

Well I got mine. Too early for a full review but here are my impressions

Good
  • Sturdy
  • Exterior design is fantastic, nice flat edges to grip
  • Excellent design on the screen. There is an angle that catches the finest grind and then guides it down/in
  • Magnets! How do dey werk?
  • Less threading!
  • Great size
  • Super easy to use and handle
  • Price
Not good
  • The teeth design
  • The hole design
  • The asinine logo
BTW I paid $35ish for mine I think on amazon (+free ship).

So yeah, unfortunately the teeth keep this thing from ascending to the ranks. It literally shreds the herb, while I wont pass full judgement because the Blackberry Kush I had is really long and leafy to start, this is what I did.

Drop in a small bud, grind... 95% of the bud was shredded in long pieces and those pieces easily fall through the holes. But they are big. I popped them back in and tried again, no extra shredding, just falls right through the holes.

So I took that and put it in my smaller space case. And of course the Space Case grinded it into fine powder.

So this "sharp shredda" solves every problem I had with my space case, but it doesn't grind fine enough... which is sort of like... how? How do you get all the way to production and the 1 critical function is not up to snuff?

However their promise is fluffs your herb in seconds. Which is no lie. It fluffs the herb. But it doesn't grind it fine. It feels like this was meant for people who want to roll huge blunts.

I will say this, it is one nice looking piece of hardware, it just doesn't grind enough. (for now)

I will try other strains later but just looking at the teeth and holes kinda leaves you wondering who thought that up and why are so many other facets of the grinder so awesome yet the key functionality is sub-par for what I need.

They also have a 100% money-back guarantee, so if you don't like it...
    • Did We Say 100% Guaranteed?

When we say that every product is backed by our 100% guarantee...

...We Mean It...

If there are any issues what so ever, our dedicated customer support team will work with you to ensure your complete satisfaction.

For only $35 I'm keeping mine and going to see how I can work with it. The threadless pollen catcher, + the design of how it funnels is really slick.
Is the grind consistent or no? Also have you tried grinding it upside down to see if you can get a finer grind? Thanks.

max

Out to lunch
Most 4 pc. grinders these days allow you to leave out the screen section if you like. Does this one work as a 3 piece?

Looper said:
Also have you tried grinding it upside down to see if you can get a finer grind?
You can do that with any 4 piece. Upside down it's just a 2 piece- keep grinding and only moisture content/stickiness stands in the way of a really fine grind.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I still use the 4 pieces like a tire rolling on the ground, in orientation.. to keep herb near teeth, but to keep the kief from moving off the collection dish.

Hexi

Is the grind consistent or no? Also have you tried grinding it upside down to see if you can get a finer grind? Thanks.

Kinda, i usually hold it sideways. It might/should help, but there is a big lack of resistance when compared to the space case, like you can feel the grind just swimming around not being ground. The space case is 1 revolution and you can feel it being chopped up.

I'll take a pic tonight to compare, but we're talking magnitudes of difference here. The space case can grind stuff into smaller than coffee grind for me. The SupASharpShreddA or whatever it's called doesn't grind, it shreds. Think Sargento cheese packages.

Hexi,

Magman116

Hello,

I am new to the group and hope I can contribute. I am an engineering and have been searching for the perfect grinder. I have about 20 so far and still haven't quite found it. The SCS is about as close as I have found to be the perfect grinder, but still has some issues. I may end up designing my own. Time will tell.
I did buy one of the Sharp Shredda Grinders. With the 40% off coupon I figured it would be worth a try. It is very well made; not quite as refined as my Space Case or Santa Cruz Shredders, but nicer than all my others. The tooth design intrigued me so I made a model of it so I could see how the teeth work together. I can see the basic concept, but the short side just doesn't see to be quite right to achieve a good grind. Surprising enough, it does an excellent job on dry herbs. The more moist herbs don't grind, but shred. I attribute that to the long tooth short tooth combination.

Below shows how the teeth of the SSG work together. The yellow part is the top and the red is the bottom.

SSGmovement_zpsa32227b3.gif

Last edited:

Hexi

Hello,

I am new to the group and hope I can contribute. I am an engineering and have been searching for the perfect grinder. I have about 20 so far and still haven't quite found it. The SCS is about as close as I have found to be the perfect grinder, but still has some issues. I may end up designing my own. Time will tell.
I did buy one of the Sharp Shredda Grinders. With the 40% off coupon I figured it would be worth a try. It is very well made; not quite as refined as my Space Case or Santa Cruz Shredders, but nicer than all my others. The tooth design intrigued me so I made a model of it so I could see how the teeth work together. I can see the basic concept, but the short side just doesn't see to be quite right to achieve a good grind. Surprising enough, it does an excellent job on dry herbs. The more moist herbs don't grind, but shred. I attribute that to the long tooth short tooth combination.

Below shows how the teeth of the SSG work together. The yellow part is the top and the red is the bottom.

SSGmovement_zpsa32227b3.gif

Awesome, I love you engineers! I just realized SuperSharpShreddACheddA is located here in S.F.! They got everything perfect except the teeth (for my needs). I tried it again, different strain, upside down, re-grind etc...

The same result everytime, it does exactly what it says it will do "fluff" the herb. :/ I need fine grind ...

But I will say that the reduced amount of threading and the way they designed the pollen catcher is fucking brilliant.

It's like being in love with someone who shows up when they want, ignores phone calls, but comes over late @ night for some awesome booty callin. I love it, but it's not really what I need long term.

Hopefully these guys have enough funding and maybe take another look at the tooth design, do a v2.1 or something. It shows lots of promise.

I already hate using my space case now that I've used the 'threadless'

Magman116

I agree, the SCS has a much better tooth design than the SSG. Plus the SCS has teeth missing to allow for the larger hunks of herbs. The hole size is much larger in the SCS than the SSG and for some reason, the SSG has a finer grind.

The SCS will handle moist and dry herb and grind both real well. The SSG seems to only like dry herb; it grinds dry herb and shreds moist herb.

My Large SCS gets more use than all my other grinders. Just a great design all around. If the SCS would have the single thread and lift out screen section, I think it would make it the best grinder hands down. To me, it already is the best made and best functioning grinder on the market, but I haven't' tried them all yet. I couldn't tell you the last time I used my Space Case. While the Space Case is well machined, it doesn't have as nice anodizing and it doesn't grind as fine or consistent as the Santa Cruz Shredder.

Magman116,
Reactions: Hexi

Maine420

GROOVY GRANNY
Just got my Super Sharp Shredda!I love mine! Grinds good enough for me, hardly any effort!

Maine420,

max

Out to lunch
Magman116 said:
The SCS will handle moist and dry herb and grind both real well.
No grinder will provide a fine grind with moist herb. Has to be dry. It's the nature of plant material.

To me, it already is the best made and best functioning grinder on the market
It depends on which size you're using and what you're grinding. The Mini is the worst grinder I've ever used for bud that isn't really dry. The tooth design provides a lot of resistance and the top section (it's the top for me, since it's best to load the other section) is smooth, providing no help for a good grip. I have to use dry bud in it or just load a little, otherwise it easily locks up on me. My MixnBall Nano and HeadChef Mini are much easier to use with moist herb, despite the fact that they're much smaller grinders. They both have good grips machined in and that makes a huge difference. IMO there's no reason for the Santa Cruz guy to not provide a good grip on both sections. I'm sure this isn't as much of an issue for the larger sizes. The bigger the grinder the easier it is to get good torque. As much as I like the look and feel of the SCS mini, it's one size to avoid if you want to grind moist bud unless you load really light. Even with a good grip on both sections, the SCS tooth design is going to work much better with the larger sizes.

Magman116

I only have a large SCS grinder and haven't used the smaller ones. The large SCS provides plenty of torque to grind up even large dense herb.

It would be nice if someone would make a grinder that cuts instead of grinds. Sounds nice, but may not be practicable. i love my large SCS and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Magman116,

Caligula

Maximus
I'm wondering if there is a reason why people don't use ceramic in grinders. Given how inert it is, its ability to resist stuff sticking to it, how sharp you can make it, how well it keeps an edge without dulling, and the fact that it can be harder then steel should lend itself well to this application I'd think...

Also has anyone tried something like this?

http://kyoceraadvancedceramics.com/ceramic-kitchen-tools/ceramic-grinders

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Don't know if this has been brought up but I was just over on the Da Buddha accessories page and saw these 7th floor "Snuff Shredders":

http://dabuddhavaporizer.com/dbv-ac...nch-4-piece-powder-coated-snuff-shredder.html

They come in 3 and 4 inch (with Da Buddha logo ... more sizes with ssv logo), they have removable pollen screens, a hemp carry case, similar tooth design to the space case, they're powder coated, have a lifetime warranty plus they are a 7th floor product. It doesn't say what material is used to make em but they have a bad ass 2 piece shredder for $20 on the SSV site that I had to order (Says 420 2013 and shows Red Rocks Amphitheater ... my favorite venue :rockon:) and when I get it I'll report back.

Last edited:
MileHighLife,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Caligula's ceramic grinder looks interesting.
As for a bargain...
I use my SCS 2 pc small as my "go to".
Before that I used the Space case small.
I still order the small Stainless (NEVER TITANIUM) 2 piece Space Case
as the standard for new patients that I meet for it's style, form, and function.... AND cost
for 20 bucks it is in my opinion the best bargain there is in grinders.
Titanium is not needed.. the plain Space Case's surface can not be stained.
Yes.. I use more costly ones, and try various styles.
But I do not experiment when it comes to the wallets of others.
Small 2 piece Space case can be had at Puffitup, for
$20 after using the FC discount code found HERE

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
Caligula's ceramic grinder looks interesting.
As for a bargain...
I use my SCS 2 pc small as my "go to".
Before that I used the Space case small.
I still order the small Stainless (NEVER TITANIUM) 2 piece Space Case
as the standard for new patients that I meet for it's style, form, and function.... AND cost
for 20 bucks it is in my opinion the best bargain there is in grinders.
Yes.. I use more costly ones, and try various styles.
But I do not experiment when it comes to the wallets of others.
Small 2 piece Space case can be had at Puffitup, for
$20 after using the FC discount code found HERE
I only see their in house brand of grinders?

Edit: oh, space case had their own section, LOL.

Caligula,
Top Bottom