• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Herb Grinders

John Lewus

Those are both good ideas but I am trying to avoid dumping if possible. I do the folding paper suggestion now but then a bit of kief always sticks to the paper no matter what I do. Also isn't it bad to grind up a bunch at one time. I never do more than three days worth which for me is a medium nug.

John Lewus,

X24

Those are both good ideas but I am trying to avoid dumping if possible. I do the folding paper suggestion now but then a bit of kief always sticks to the paper no matter what I do. Also isn't it bad to grind up a bunch at one time. I never do more than three days worth which for me is a medium nug.

Yeah. Something along the lines of oxidation occurs much more rapidly when you increase the surface area. I only grind a day or two's worth at a time. The large is entirely too big for my usage but it was the only 2 piece SCS at my local head shop, so I went with it.

X24,

John Lewus

The large is too big for me also and I already have a large space case. Is the grind on a four piece equivalent to a two piece? I ask because some will fall through the holes on a four piece.

John Lewus,

Left

FWIW, both my 2 piece and 4 piece were silver...they are all anodized and are not supposed to scratch. AFAIK, my 2 SCS' are the only 2 reported on here with the coating coming off..

I appreciate that you took the time to answer that question --- I actually read on another forum that someone had the same issue and they suspected that it was because they hadn't been removing stems before putting their herb into the SCS. Definitely agree that for the price these really shouldn't do that... I looked on the SCS website and can't find anything about the warranty, but I would guess that your issue would be covered by the warranty. I decided to go ahead and get myself a SCS anyway --- have not had the opportunity to grind with it yet, though. If I have a similar problem as you in the future, I'll post.

They had it listed as small on amazon but the measurements add up the medium one on scs website so I am pretty sure I am getting the medium one..

I got mine on amazon as well, and I believe there is only one Amazon seller listing SCS' --- they had the measurement wrong for the Large 2 piece one as well. Not only that, but their assortment of pictures for it showed both the large and the medium sized ones (could tell by the number of teeth). I sent them a message about it and they admitted that these were mistakes and they fixed the listing (at least for the particular one that I pointed out).

Now that I own the large 2-piece, I see what X24 was saying about it being possibly a bit too big, though the large was not much more $ than the medium and I figured better too big than too small. Another thing that surprised me --- the magnet really is strong. I've never seen/held/used a "premium" grinder, so I guess this is part of what I've been missing. Judging just from look and feel alone, I am happy with it. I believe someone has mentioned this already, but it would have been nice if there were ridges on the bottom half in addition to the top to give a better grip --- doesn't seem like it will be a big deal though, especially not with the large size.

Left,
Reactions: X24

webb

Level 100 Lurker
Just picked up a large SCS in green with "for medical use only" engraving. I'm excited to get one from all I've read here. I'll report back with my thoughts when it arrives!

webb,

vape4life

Banned for life
I appreciate that you took the time to answer that question --- I actually read on another forum that someone had the same issue and they suspected that it was because they hadn't been removing stems before putting their herb into the SCS. Definitely agree that for the price these really shouldn't do that... I looked on the SCS website and can't find anything about the warranty, but I would guess that your issue would be covered by the warranty. I decided to go ahead and get myself a SCS anyway --- have not had the opportunity to grind with it yet, though. If I have a similar problem as you in the future, I'll post.

It's actually a bit of a relief to hear that you saw this occuring elsewhere as well. I have very little tolerance for stuff like this so I just got a refund and my trusty storz & bickel works just great for my needs. No chipping, flaking, etc. and comes brand new clean with PBW. I used to use a coffee grinder, but now the S&B is all I use.

I hope your luck is better than mine, and I never once had stems in the grinder...always just dry flowers and treated both the grinders like all my other stuff...like gold. Welcome to the forum :)

vape4life,
Reactions: Left

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I have had my SC Shredder with the MD use engraved for a few months now. It is by far the best grinder I have ever had. I do suggest though because of the unique shape of its teeth brushing it after every couple of uses. I have also had stems get in there and have never had an issue at all.

b0

Cloudy...
I hope you're proud guys, you just me made buy one medium in PV (the shipping overseas is too much in the SCS web) I was using an acrilic similar to the S&B but wanted to take all the kief that I was losing now that I can use it in my Solo!

Edit: Any tips for cleaning the teeth part?

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I hope you're proud guys, you just me made buy one in PV (the shipping overseas is too much in the SCS web) I was using an acrilic similar to the S&B but wanted to take all the kief that I was losing now that I can use it in my Solo!

Edit: Any tips for cleaning the teeth part?

b0 - your gonna laugh but I actually use a toothbrush. Works perfectly.

b0

Cloudy...
LMAO :rofl:

How often do you clean it? Just the toothbrush or you use ISO? I guess that if you clean it frequently you won't need iso.

b0,
Reactions: mvapes

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
LMAO :rofl:

How often do you clean it? Just the toothbrush or you use ISO? I guess that if you clean it frequently you won't need iso.

Correct, if you do it all the time you shouldn't need and liquid at all.

mvapes,
Reactions: b0

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Fuck!! You sons of bitches just made me drop $104 on a couple new Santa Cruz Shredders. They seem to be the answer to my grinding prayers. I nabbed a large 4 piece and a medium 2 piece.

Fucking vape accessories will drain my wallet! ;)

webb

Level 100 Lurker
Fuck!! You sons of bitches just made me drop $104 on a couple new Santa Cruz Shredders. They seem to be the answer to my grinding prayers. I nabbed a large 4 piece and a medium 2 piece.

Haha now the wait is on! What colors did you snag?

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker

It's going to be a real step up from using dinosaur teeth!

mvapes,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Lol - I have the same, with MD inscription on it!

My large 4 piece is for home use. I've found a medium size to be a bit small for my wife and I, so I'm keen to see how the large does.
The medium two piece will be my 'on the go' shredder (for my Pax).

I don't think mine have an inscription apart from their logo.

Vapinghole,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
20121209_155848.jpg

Pseudonymous

Nameless
The thread is mega long so it's likely been asked but I really can't read through 136 pages. Are the Space Cases with screens to catch the "pollen" very durable? How easy does the screen get caked and how easy is it to clean? Is it possible to get replacement screens?

Pseudonymous,

al bundy

Vaporist
^^^^ I never had to change the screen on any grinder...
I have a space case and sharpstone and no problems.
You can clean the screen with a small brush(I use the MFLB brush) you could always soak in iso and let it evaporate.

The screen just filters the pollen to fall through to the bottom chamber separating the weed from the pollen.
No need to scrape the screen if thats what your asking.

al bundy,

VaporEyes

Vaporization Aficionado
Accessory Maker
While I was grinding up some bud with my large 4pcs mendo mulcher last night I had some black powder and metallic specs on my hands. Anyone else had this occur?

VaporEyes,

max

Out to lunch
^^^^ I never had to change the screen on any grinder...
I have a space case and sharpstone and no problems.
You can clean the screen with a small brush(I use the MFLB brush) you could always soak in iso and let it evaporate.

The screen just filters the pollen to fall through to the bottom chamber separating the weed from the pollen.
No need to scrape the screen if thats what your asking.
I'll second that. Any decent grinder will have a screen that should last as long as you want to use it. You certainly don't have to buy a Space Case or any other high priced 4 piece to get a realiable screen. I clean my grinders with a little ISO and a toothbrush. Just rinse with water when you're through. It's quick and easy.

VaporEyes said:
While I was grinding up some bud with my large 4pcs mendo mulcher last night I had some black powder and metallic specs on my hands. Anyone else had this occur?
No. Not Mendo or any other brand I've used. You're not grinding big stems are you? The black stuff could be just plant material. That's the color it turns as residue on the grinder rim when you get some caught there.

max,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker

I did - I had once tried to fill my old sharpstone with an overload of some really moist fresh bud and when I ground it up I realized it was way to hard to turn...I should have stopped but unfortunately I'm lazy and twisted harder instead of dumping a bit. When I opened it I found those same metallic specs you speak of. A few days later I started to find my beloved sharp stone had in fact started loosing her teeth. That was my first "good" grinder and it lasted me for years. It was a sad day indeed........

But then I got I got my Santa Cruz Shredder and now I can't even remember that sharpstone! :brow:

mvapes,
Reactions: Tweak
Top Bottom