Help Me Pick a Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nev

Greetings! I was directed to this site by a video from tokinGLX on youtube and the community here seems to be quite knowledgeable about vaporizers. Maybe someone can help me out.

I have been smoking (regularly 2-3 times a week typically) for the past couple of years. I'm not an everyday smoker but typically try to keep it just to weekends or off days during the week. I have decided to set aside some money to invest in a vaporizer, not only for health benefits but because I hear they are far more efficient than smoking. I am all for smoking less and going farther and I think a vaporizer will pay for itself if that is true over the course of a year or two.

Budget isn't really a big deal. I have been strongly considering the Volcano for a few reasons:

1.) It seems to be well built and won't break easily or fall apart on me after a year or so.
2.) it fills bags quickly and without much effort.
3.) it can be fitted with a large bag, and the easy valve, which are both a huge plus to me as I often smoke in groups of 5 or more people.
4.) I think I might enjoy a whip, but the ease of use of a bag and the fact that I am often doing other things while smoking and don't want to have to pay more attention to the device I'm operating is nice.

I guess the real problem here is that I have not tried either one because I do not know anybody with a vaporizer. I am simply basing my ideas off of the hours (literally) of research I have done. I still feel extremely indecisive. There seem to be a lot of good vapes and people who continue to push me in one way or the other. I know there is no "best" vape, but for my needs, do you think the volcano is best "party" vape and will last for years to come? I do not want to invest in a 500$ device if don't think it will pay for itself in a couple of years with the amount of herb it saves me.

Also, I rarely have access to high quality stuff. It's usually mid grade where I am at but from what I have read vaporizers enhance the effects of any herb, no matter quality it is. Maybe someone can shed more light on this topic and correct me if I am wrong. I'm not concerned with taste, I just want to get higher on less herb :p

I appreciate any and all responses!

Nev,

turtles

As a volcano owner I don't use it for just me unless I'm trying to medicate a lot in a short span of time.
However anytime it more than just me and the girl I barely ever use anything else (with the exception of hooking up my dbv to a bong).
I've got a small and large bag setup depending on group size.
Also don't discredit the solid valve as complicated... It's not.

If you're anywhere near the bay area CA (I'm assuming not given the lack of ability to try one?) id be more than willing to demonstrate mine :)

Sorry for any typos... On the phone and its Obviously not the ideal way to post

turtles,

Nev

turtles said:
As a volcano owner I don't use it for just me unless I'm trying to medicate a lot in a short span of time.
However anytime it more than just me and the girl I barely ever use anything else (with the exception of hooking up my dbv to a bong).
I've got a small and large bag setup depending on group size.
Also don't discredit the solid valve as complicated... It's not.

I would looking at it from the perspective of a larger party. I can always scale it down to use just with myself or one other person as well, which is why I was looking at the volcano. I want something that works for large groups but I could also do alone if I wanted to. I also don't want to have to buy another piece, I want something I can use exclusively for years to come, and the volcano seems like the ticket to that, but I'm glad to see someone else who is satisfied with theirs.

I never said it was complicated, It's just that when I smoke in groups we usually "puff puff pass" and I feel like some vapor may escape in that passing process, with the easy valve setup there wouldn't be any leaking. Also, they are the same price regardless of which you choose, so I don't really see any downside to using the easy valve. Is there one?

Also, to the part you just added, I wish I was. Thinking of moving out to Colorado after I get out of college with some college buddies.

I appreciate the response

Nev,

turtles

The easy valve is actually far more prone to vapor leakage, it's just a tube that pushes through a rubber membrane with 4 slits that open up allowing the mouth tube to go into the bag area

turtles,
I have a digit volcano and love it. But like turtles said i dont use it for myself unless i just feel like it. Its not really worth it though if you have a smaller vape around

If it was me id get a used volcano and a used silver surfer. Best of both worlds.

SethFahara,

Nev

SethFahara said:
I have a digit volcano and love it. But like turtles said i dont use it for myself unless i just feel like it. Its not really worth it though if you have a smaller vape around

If it was me id get a used volcano and a used silver surfer. Best of both worlds.
I've been watching it on ebay, and it doesn't really seem to get below about 350-400 even for used ones. I don't mind paying the extra 100 or so to get it new with the 3 year warranty rather than buying it used and not knowing if the person bought it way back in 2002. I'll keep watching it for a few more days but I do plan to make a purchase soon.

I was looking at the silver surfer. It seems pretty interesting but I don't like the idea of having to fool with it constantly, having never tried a whip or bag method I can't really say I would like one over the other, but I know I do like the convenience of a bag better. Is the whip really that much different? Other than the ability to get more concentrated hits if you wanted, but couldn't you also do the same with a bag if you just turned up the heat more?

Why don't you guys like using the Volcano solo? Is there something wrong with using it solo? I just would like some reasons, it helps with my decision. Thanks!

Nev,
Nev said:
SethFahara said:

I've been watching it on ebay, and it doesn't really seem to get below about 350-400 even for used ones. I don't mind paying the extra 100 or so to get it new with the 3 year warranty rather than buying it used and not knowing if the person bought it way back in 2002. I'll keep watching it for a few more days but I do plan to make a purchase soon.

I was looking at the silver surfer. It seems pretty interesting but I don't like the idea of having to fool with it constantly, having never tried a whip or bag method I can't really say I would like one over the other, but I know I do like the convenience of a bag better. Is the whip really that much different? Other than the ability to get more concentrated hits if you wanted, but couldn't you also do the same with a bag if you just turned up the heat more?

Why don't you guys like using the Volcano solo? Is there something wrong with using it solo? I just would like some reasons, it helps with my decision. Thanks!

I personally just prefer the whip over the bag for solo. Bag is just kind of a pain to fool with honestly. With the whip its like hitting a pipe. I get to pick how to hit it every hit.

Not only that but no unhooking, hooking back up, pressing buttons every few minutes. lol lazy stoners right?

I keep my ssv on my comp desk with the mouthpiece hanging out of my mouth. very convenient. especially while gaming. lol!

The Volcano was my first vaporizer and if you have the money i dont see why it wouldn't be a good option. The reason i bought a SSV later was for the different hit of the whip. I also picked up an Extreme Q. It does both functions decently. But in my opinion does not function as well on the spectrum as other standalones.. Also have a MFLB adjust ability of the hit is insane. Honestly the MFLB is what got me into whip vapes. because i saw how different they hit than a bag.

Just like anything else though, its preferences.

I vape with others multiple times a week though. And pretty much always use the volcano. Its a really sick vape.

SethFahara,

Nev

SethFahara said:
Nev said:
SethFahara said:

I personally just prefer the whip over the bag for solo. Bag is just kind of a pain to fool with honestly. With the whip its like hitting a pipe. I get to pick how to hit it every hit.

Not only that but no unhooking, hooking back up, pressing buttons every few minutes. lol lazy stoners right?

I keep my ssv on my comp desk with the mouthpiece hanging out of my mouth. very convenient. especially while gaming. lol!

The Volcano was my first vaporizer and if you have the money i dont see why it wouldn't be a good option. The reason i bought a SSV later was for the different hit of the whip. I also picked up an Extreme Q. It does both functions decently. But in my opinion does not function as well on the spectrum as other standalones.. Also have a MFLB adjust ability of the hit is insane. Honestly the MFLB is what got me into whip vapes. because i saw how different they hit than a bag.

Just like anything else though, its preferences.

I vape with others multiple times a week though. And pretty much always use the volcano. Its a really sick vape.
I do tend to smoke with others, so do you think getting the volcano would be a good investment? Sometimes I smoke alone or with 1 other person but that isn't quite as common. I'm just so indecisive haha, on the one hand I would love to have the volcano but it has a huge price tag, on the other I also like the SSV but I'm not too sure about it and it seems like it wouldn't work too well in larger groups. Odds are I'll end up going with the volcano due to it's ability to work with larger groups as well as myself. I don't mind the minimal effort put into filling the bag, it can't be any more effort than packing a bowl while stoned.

Do vapes really save a good bit of herb? I hear people talking up around 50% in some cases which, if true, I'm really not concerned about the vape cost. It will pay for itself even with mid grade herb which is what I tend to smoke due to availability.

Nev,

turtles

If I pack a fat volcano bowl (i'll weigh it out in a bit) I can fill 3 3ft bags before it gets a bit brown for my taste... pushable to 4 easy
2 of these bags can get me and my girl (mid tolerance and high tolerance respectively) absolutely gone

will report back with how much weight my last bowl was when I find my scale :ko:

to add my 2cents I wouldn't reccomend a whip vape for a group setting unless everyone is familiar with vaping, it DOES have a learning curve that most people don't like

in terms of conservation I will go with yes... maybe not 50%, but the efficiency goes way up if you used the vaped material to make edibles, in which case 50% seems feasible... the volcano really isn't the most efficient vape though.

sorry if you're actively reading this as I edit it over and over again :p
I used to use my extreme Q for personal bags, but whip-vaping makes it so easy when you're alone, and the vapor is a lot denser ( I find that to get equally medicated with the volcano and DBV I suffer from cottonmouth far sooner using the volcano)

turtles,

weedemon

enthusiast
sounds like you are torn between a bag and a whip style vaporizer.

Bag:
great for groups and especially for people who have never vaped before. the bag takes all the guess work out of it and everyone will get a good hit from it.

For a bag vape i would recommend the volcano

whip
this i better for people who already have the basics down and like to get a fuller thicker hit from their vapor. becasue of the vapor density difference this is also a great way to introduce someone to vapor and the thicker clouds look a lot more appealing :)

for a whip vape I recommend the SSV, aka: Silver surfer vape!

weedemon,

Nev

turtles said:
If I pack a fat volcano bowl (i'll weigh it out in a bit) I can fill 3 3ft bags before it gets a bit brown for my taste... pushable to 4 easy
2 of these bags can get me and my girl (mid tolerance and high tolerance respectively) absolutely gone

will report back with how much weight my last bowl was when I find my scale :ko:

to add my 2cents I wouldn't reccomend a whip vape for a group setting unless everyone is familiar with vaping, it DOES have a learning curve that most people don't like

in terms of conservation I will go with yes... maybe not 50%, but the efficiency goes way up if you used the vaped material to make edibles, in which case 50% seems feasible... the volcano really isn't the most efficient vape though.

sorry if you're actively reading this as I edit it over and over again :p
I used to use my extreme Q for personal bags, but whip-vaping makes it so easy when you're alone, and the vapor is a lot denser ( I find that to get equally medicated with the volcano and DBV I suffer from cottonmouth far sooner using the volcano)
Awesome, yeah, in a perfect world I would be able to get both, but unfortunately I can really only afford one or the other. I guess I need to take price into consideration as well as the SSV is a lot cheaper. Would you say its more efficient than using the Volcano? I would think the volcano would be the most efficient as the fan and heat trapping all the vapor in a bag leaves none to waste, but maybe I am looking at it wrong. At the end of the day I guess I should pick the device that will take me the farther on the least amount of herb, as I want the device to pay for itself overtime.

I am curious as to how much herb the volcano can hold, please get back to me on that if you can. I guess you could pack it lighter for more efficiency and a little more work couldn't you?

weedemon said:
sounds like you are torn between a bag and a whip style vaporizer.
Bag:
great for groups and especially for people who have never vaped before. the bag takes all the guess work out of it and everyone will get a good hit from it.
For a bag vape i would recommend the volcano
whip
this i better for people who already have the basics down and like to get a fuller thicker hit from their vapor. becasue of the vapor density difference this is also a great way to introduce someone to vapor and the thicker clouds look a lot more appealing
for a whip vape I recommend the SSV, aka: Silver surfer vape!
I assume larger amounts of vapor at once would be a bit more wasteful though wouldn't it? as some might escape from the tube after inhaling a large amount. I might be wrong in saying that. I'm not concerned about looks really, just efficiency. I am pretty torn, I can see benefits to both, it's really tough to decide, but I am confident that I'll enjoy either one, I just need to pick whats right for my situation. I just want something for group and solo use which the Volcano seems to excel at more than the SSV.

Nev,

turtles

Your situation its oddly cut and dry.
Ssv is the king of solo vapes imo.
Volcanoes are the king of party vaporizers
You can use both for either purpose but I would say its easier to scale am volcano for personal than teaching a group to use a ssv

Keeping in mind that this is all purely my opinion

turtles,

Nev

turtles said:
Your situation its oddly cut and dry.
Ssv is the king of solo vapes imo.
Volcanoes are the king of party vaporizers
You can use both for either purpose but I would say its easier to scale am volcano for personal than teaching a group to use a ssv

Keeping in mind that this is all purely my opinion
Yeah, the reason you stated is the thing that makes me gravitate towards the Volcano. I'll keep watching ebay for a few days but may just go for a new one, you never know how old the one you're being sold on Ebay is, and it could be ready to give out, even if someone says it's lightly used. There isn't really a way to tell or prove it. Plus I get the 3 year warranty along with the new purchase, which is nice and the resale value is high incase I wanted to sell it down the road.

Nev,

max

Out to lunch
The Volcano is a great vape, but in today's market it's overpriced. One well respected dealer refuses to sell it for that reason, even though it's a vape that every dealer and eBay seller seems to sell. And the price wouldn't be so bad if it weren't a one trick pony. It's the ONLY brand name bag filler on the market that doesn't also do so some form of direct draw.

If bag fill is a priority, I'd look at other models like the herbalAire (best bang for your buck), Extreme Q (maybe slightly better on direct draw), and the pricier Zephyr Ion. Even the more expensive Oracle, which I love for bag fill, gives you the ability to take a direct draw (pump driven) while filling a bag. Given a choice of the Oracle or 'cano, at the exact same price, I'd take the Oracle without a 2nd thought. The only thing the Volcano has over it, IMO, is proven long term reliability, but I can get that with the under $200 herbaAire-3 yr. warranty and outstanding cust. svc. I used a herbie for years, and was never tempted to upgrade to the Volcano.

You can't go wrong getting a 'cano, quality wise, but most people who enjoy the vapor experience end up using some form of direct draw. We see hardly anyone dumping a good brand name whip or bong vape, and going strictly with the 'cano, but quite a few 'cano owners either switch to direct draw, or add one to their lineup for a more satisfying, varied vaping experience.

max,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
While bags are good for sharing among groups, I'd never use one for myself or with one or two other people. For one thing, I find bags tend to taste like crap after only 5-6 fills. Also, once you fill a bag you'd better use it all fairly quickly, else it condenses and exaggerates the lousy taste problem, not to mention making the bag all sticky and icky (which will happen anyway eventually).

I like to be able to take a hit when I want to, and not because I have to empty a bag before it goes bad. max knows what he's talking about and I echo his advice.

pakalolo,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I've never heard anyone bash the volcano on quality, just price. If $$ is not an issue then I'll bet you'd be satisfied with it. I have on Ion and love it for groups, it's just not as reliable as the volcano yet.

I started with an Extreme because, like you, I didn't really know what I wanted. That thing did me fine for a year or so before I got an SSV and a PD. You can pick those up cheap now and Arizer is one of the best companies to buy from. The only problem with the E is that it does not have an enclosure for the bag. I used to just plug up the stem with some tissue.

I started writing this thinking you would be happy with a volcano. But now I think I would recommend the E, just because it is cheap and does a good job of exposing you to a lot of vapor options. It even has fan assist and a remote control. It's a fantastic first vaporizer and even if you threw it away (or better yet, give it to a friend or supplier!) after a year you would have more than made your money back as well. In the end, you will probably have several vapes, so I wouldn't fret too much over the first one. You'll buy more as you figure out what you like.

stickstones,

turtles

While the volcano is certainly not a cheap vape, it is certainly not terribly over priced.
It is a tank of a vape and built for the long term abuse. However, it has become a niche product. Which is why you get a lot of people arguing they're overpriced or even not worth having (see the practically 1 per day that crops up on Craigslist locally for <$400).
If you want to go the vapor only route its rare-er to have a. Volcano as your only unit because most people begin to develop higher and higher standards for vapor taste and/or density. Which isn't to say that the volcano doesn't produce good vapor, simply people have preferences that they can't quite replicate with the volcano.
Also the learning curve on the volcano is super low which helps cater to the group setting it thrives in.

turtles,

Nev

well I think I may go with the SSV after giving it some good thought. Everybody seems to be satisfied with this device and even though it has a bit of a learning curve seems to be far more efficient than using the Volcano, which is a plus. I want the product to pay for itself in what I save over the next year or two. Build quality seems good and sturdy and it will last a long time. I'll just have to teach my regular smoking buddies how to use it once I can figure it out :lol: Price isn't a huge deal, but for half the price, about 250$ can go a long way toward getting herbs to use in it :cool: I may get an Herbalaire or something down the road, but I think starting out with a 500$ device as my first vape and maybe realizing I don't like vaping at all would be a bad plan. Do you guys think this is a good choice? I really appreciate all the responses!

Nev,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
the ssv is what replaced the E for me for a good year and a half...and it's probably the one of the better whip vapes to have at a party. ive never had any problem teaching someone how to enjoy it. so, yeah, i think that is a great choice.

stickstones,

jackmormon

You really can't go wrong with an SSV. It is one of the most well established vapes with a rock solid reputation. I would suggest spending a little more and getting a custom model ;)

Mine looks awesome on the coffee table!

jackmormon,

turtles

Nev said:
well I think I may go with the SSV after giving it some good thought. Everybody seems to be satisfied with this device and even though it has a bit of a learning curve seems to be far more efficient than using the Volcano, which is a plus. I want the product to pay for itself in what I save over the next year or two. Build quality seems good and sturdy and it will last a long time. I'll just have to teach my regular smoking buddies how to use it once I can figure it out :lol: Price isn't a huge deal, but for half the price, about 250$ can go a long way toward getting herbs to use in it :cool: I may get an Herbalaire or something down the road, but I think starting out with a 500$ device as my first vape and maybe realizing I don't like vaping at all would be a bad plan. Do you guys think this is a good choice? I really appreciate all the responses!
can't go wrong with the SSV, I have the younger brother (DBV) and love it to death:cool:

just remember practice makes perfect ;)

turtles,

Nycdeisel

I never think the SSV is a bad choice, because its a well respected and reputable whip vaporizer, and IMO, 7th Floor is the king of whip vaporizers(just my opinion here).

If you want a whip type vape, theres nothing better then the SSV, its a very high quality unit.
You dont HAVE to take huge hits and exhale them quickly, which would be wasting to an extent, the good thing is you control the hit! no fans or moving parts. I do think bag vaporizers serve their purpose though and if you wanted a bag vape there are still others besides the Cano. it really depends on what you want out of a vaporizer.

Nycdeisel,

Nev

About to order it, just getting the cheapest model I can because the prices seem to go up pretty dramatically. Almost 100$ for a custom logo?

Nev,

Nycdeisel

buy from the higher elevations ebay store, they are *blemished from 7th Floor with warranty and everythinf cept the case, its a real good deal

Nycdeisel,

Nev

Nycdeisel said:
buy from the higher elevations ebay store, they are *blemished from 7th Floor with warranty and everythinf cept the case, its a real good deal
Already bought from the original store. I don't mind supporting this company buying it straight from them, even if it's a little bit more :)

Nev,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom