Discontinued Haze Square

b0

Cloudy...
Spent the day testing the unit yesterday. After the initial testing I had a combustion event. I think it was cause of me pulling too slow at a hight temp, but need to keep testing. Havent hapenned again so far.

This unit works amazingly well at low temps, impressive. But need more testing at high ones to finish the bowl. So far I'm not happy with my results at high temps, we will see in the next couple of days but ABV wasn't even at all when I started using high temps. I was trying everything I read here (double press, different draws) so it can be because of me. Need to try different techniques in different bowls to see what happens.

Right now I have the temps at 335, 365, 380 and 410. Haven't tried concentrates yet, but I have it at max 480.

Time to head to work, this weekend I'm pretty busy so wont have much time for testing, only evenings.

wastedpotential

My one and only complaint is the delay when pushing the button to start heating. My unit has a couple second delay for the flashing that makes me feel like I'm not actually pressing the button enough. The button itself doesn't have much travel which feels nice when pushing it, but when combined with the light delay, it leaves me 2nd guessing all the time. If it had the delay with more of a click feeling, it probably wouldn't drive me nuts, but I do like the current button feel. Maybe this is all a firmware thing, maybe it's normal. I don't know.

At the end of the day..... this thing rules!
Think of the delay as a long-press on your phone. Since the button performs different functions, there needs to be a delay so the unit knows what you are expecting.
Example: when the unit is off, long-pressing the button gives you an indication of remaining charge.
And, when the unit is on, it needs to know whether you are doing 3 quick presses to turn off the unit, or a single constant press to turn on the heat.

Maybe there could be an adjustment in the app to fine-tune the delay, like adjusting the double-click on a mouse, but isn't it easier to just adjust our usage?

wastedpotential,

Easywider

Simple is the way
So far I'm not happy with my results at high temps, we will see in the next couple of days but ABV wasn't even at all when I started using high temps. I was trying everything I read here (double press, different draws) so it can be because of me. Need to try different techniques in different bowls to see what happens.

I had this issue as well, uneven abv, charred spotting at high temps. Turns out my coil wasn't perfectly even, really had to look close to see it but it's easy to pop out with the little cleaning brush tool Haze supplies. I think @mfw0mb hit the nail on the head with the fresh coils warping from the initial heat-ups. I've only worked with Kanthal coils my self but they take a lot of heating and adjusting when first built to get them to form proper and distribute heat evenly.

Easywider,

b0

Cloudy...
I had this issue as well, uneven abv, charred spotting at high temps. Turns out my coil wasn't perfectly even, really had to look close to see it but it's easy to pop out with the little cleaning brush tool Haze supplies. I think @mfw0mb hit the nail on the head with the fresh coils warping from the initial heat-ups. I've only worked with Kanthal coils my self but they take a lot of heating and adjusting when first built to get them to form proper and distribute heat evenly.

Will look at it tonight properly but as far as I remember it looked even. Got 2 more coils with my order so worst comes to worst I will try changing it.

At low Temps as I said it works like a dream. Amazing flavor at my lowest setting with blue light vapor on exhale. If I can dial in it properly to work at high Temps as it works at low ones, it will be the perfect vape.

Any photos of this uneven coils to know what to look after? Are we talking about the space between the "loops" in the coil or just of it "level" even?

Thanks guys!

Edit: Wich cases are you using? I wanna buy a small one that fits just the square if possible. Any ideas?

Last edited:
b0,

Easywider

Simple is the way
I believe people refer to the coil not sitting flush. Not the actual loops.

^^^ This

Here's a picture @mfw0mb posted of the ( arc, warp ) in his that was causing instant combustion. My warp was much the same but less pronounced & still caused charring/hot spots.

sgr0Dkb.jpg

Easywider,
Reactions: TKraus

b0

Cloudy...
I believe people refer to the coil not sitting flush. Not the actual loops.

Just checked mine and it's flush. I probably was too high and drawing weird ways while testing single and double taps. Today will test it properly paying more attention to draw technique.

b0,

ginolicious

And I did not have any charring or hot spots. And my coil sits perfectly flush. I posted a pic a few pages back. Maybe page 110. I forgot now, but I have posted a crap ton in this thread lol. Imgur is getting overloaded with my Haze pics lol. May post more tonight as I had a bowl packed last night that was never hit.

Hoping to get two nice bowls out of this thing tonight. Gotta work for 10am tomorrow. Have a few meetings.

Djsleepy

I agree with everyone re:coil - imo it gets warped and causes it not to be level possibly due to fact the Haze has stated before and to me in an email that the " the coil goes to 800 degrees in several seconds to heat the entire chamber to vaporization temps in three seconds. " so if you double,triple press that could be causing it to warp due to excessive heat??? I have had to reseat / rebend my coil on new piece I just got and I noticed when I got it it was flat. That's why I bought a pack of coils since you never know when you are going to need them.

ginolicious

I’m yet to have to fiddle with my coil. It’s been good since the day I got the vape ironically. Never had a combustion issue. But then I was having vapour production issues which I think have been resolved with the loading tool, tamping, and 2pc fine grind every since I got new weed.

ginolicious,

b0

Cloudy...
No
^^^ This

Here's a picture @mfw0mb posted of the ( arc, warp ) in his that was causing instant combustion. My warp was much the same but less pronounced & still caused charring/hot spots.

sgr0Dkb.jpg

Now that I take a proper look at this one, I think this can be my problem. If you check my photos one side is slightly not flushed:

tjDAlTj.jpg

1hgoJEo.jpg

I will fix it as soon as I arrive home tonight. Hope it's just this, I'm gonna be over the moon if this vape works at high Temps like at low ones :D

Easywider

Simple is the way
That's just about how mine looked! It was only raised on the one side about 0.5-1ml. They are really easy to pop in and out and they are not quit as delicate as they look but do be gentle. I've adjust mine a few times now. I'd recommend to anyone buying this or accessories for this vape to purchase some extra coils I wish I did. With the exposed design of the coil its bound to get snagged on something at some point. The slightest adjustment to the "flush-ness" of the coil sends the square all out of tune.

Easywider,

ginolicious

Yeah your left side is a little higher. Not hard to fix. Just push it down with the material tool.

I wonder if pushing it down is required mainteance of this thing occasionally?

ginolicious,
Reactions: b0

Djsleepy

No

Now that I take a proper look at this one, I think this can be my problem. If you check my photos one side is slightly not flushed:

tjDAlTj.jpg

1hgoJEo.jpg

I will fix it as soon as I arrive home tonight. Hope it's just this, I'm gonna be over the moon if this vape works at high Temps like at low ones :D

That's same place on mine it was slightly raised, reseating simple use gentle hands and you will be good. I'm going to check mine while charging... after use to see if it moves let you guys know. It just may be one of those things that needs little tlc every once in a while!

ginolicious

One thing I haven’t commented on about this vape is how much I enjoy loading it, changing the bowls, taking out the mouthpiece, holding it, looking at it. It’s a very nice looking device. Everything about the physical appearance I truly enjoy. And I think I’m back on track having it work real nice. But I’m thinking a deep clean is in order, definitely have gunk in between the lids. Coarse grind on fluffy weed without a tamp was not working for me. Hate 2 piece grinders. But required for this vape.

b0

Cloudy...
That's just about how mine looked! It was only raised on the one side about 0.5-1ml. They are really easy to pop in and out and they are not quit as delicate as they look but do be gentle. I've adjust mine a few times now. I'd recommend to anyone buying this or accessories for this vape to purchase some extra coils I wish I did. With the exposed design of the coil its bound to get snagged on something at some point. The slightest adjustment to the "flush-ness" of the coil sends the square all out of tune.
Yeah your left side is a little higher. Not hard to fix. Just push it down with the material tool.

I wonder if pushing it down is required mainteance of this thing occasionally?
That's same place on mine it was slightly raised, reseating simple use gentle hands and you will be good. I'm going to check mine while charging... after use to see if it moves let you guys know. It just may be one of those things that needs little tlc every once in a while!

Thank you guys for your quick answers! After my experience with other coil vapes, I ordered extra coils with my pre-order just in case so worst comes to worst I can change it.

But should be easy to just lvl it flush and test. Will be vaping low temp on my way home, modify the coil and test high Temps at home.

One thing I haven’t commented on about this vape is how much I enjoy loading it, changing the bowls, taking out the mouthpiece, holding it, looking at it. It’s a very nice looking device. Everything about the physical appearance I truly enjoy.

I'm feeling exactly the same! Nice feel in the hand, nice design and the app is pretty strait forward as well. The only "problem." is that it isn't a "pocketable" vape, but that's not really a problem when you can leave home with 4 bowls in your bag.

Last edited:

Djsleepy

Ok just got done doing a pod of sunset sherbet unbelievably tasty:love:!!!!! Used a fine grind on grinder card cannot wait till Monday for mffg to get here!!!! I can tell a difference(good difference) big time shout out to all who said use a fine grind! Now it's time to :smug:!!!!!!

Last edited:
Djsleepy,

ginolicious

Ok just got done doing a pod of sunset sherbet unbelievably tasty:love:!!!!! Used a fine grind on grinder card cannot wait till Monday for mffg to get here!!!! I can tell a difference(good difference) big time shout out to all who said use a fine grind! Now it's time to :smug:!!!!!!

The fine grind does it eh? Thats what I noticed last night with my 2pc space case. Gets it better than a 4pc. Did you tamp as well or just toss it in the herb can?

ginolicious,

Djsleepy

The fine grind does it eh? Thats what I noticed last night with my 2pc space case. Gets it better than a 4pc. Did you tamp as well or just toss it in the herb can?
Tamped. Was no issue. it's soo sticky i can't believe it didn't goo up the screens!!! The only other thing I did was get the coil flush and centered.

Djsleepy,

ginolicious

Guess that’s my issue is the fact I didn’t tamp. Guess I’ll be doing that tonight. Purple Wreck ground up in the good old 2pc and tamp it down. God I hate 2pc grinders. But thank god I have one. It’s needed for this device.

ginolicious,
Reactions: Djsleepy

mfw0mb

Dr. Octagon
Think of the delay as a long-press on your phone. Since the button performs different functions, there needs to be a delay so the unit knows what you are expecting.
Example: when the unit is off, long-pressing the button gives you an indication of remaining charge.
And, when the unit is on, it needs to know whether you are doing 3 quick presses to turn off the unit, or a single constant press to turn on the heat.

Maybe there could be an adjustment in the app to fine-tune the delay, like adjusting the double-click on a mouse, but isn't it easier to just adjust our usage?

That's kind of like comparing the brain of a human to a brain of a snake. The Square button's 3 functions are unit off/on, battery check when state=off, and fire coil when state=on. The board's main button input functions no different than your everyday temp controlled nicotine vape mod. It calculates how long to fire the coil, and keep randomly firing the coil to maintain the set temp based on math, not a thermometer. This is how all TC box mods function, and I have yet to see or use one that has a delay as long as this. A lot of mods out there even have more than just those 3 functions via the main button. They just do what they're programmed to do. All within milliseconds, not around 2-3 seconds. A phone has a lot more going on under the hood, and more things it keeps an eye out for in regards to UI. What makes the Square special, is it's body design and pods setup.

Unless Haze programmed that input value to 2 seconds for the reeeeeeallly slow stoner sloth triple clicks, I think this is related to something that affects the charging light delay that others were also mentioning before. Maybe this delay time is pulling from the same value as the "check battery" value, or maybe even is the same line of code.

MY CURRENT FW: 1.0.57

If anyone can verify this is the latest FW, I'd greatly appreciate it. Maybe this was all fixed already. Maybe I'm just being critical for the sake of product improvement.

Either way, still friggin love this thing. Can't wait to have 3 full trays loaded up once those extras ship out next week. Haze said they were getting their next batch in stock yesterday so if they did, I'm assuming it'll be end of next week when phase 3 people see theirs shipping out. Merely speculation.

mephisto

I gave my Square a 3 week timeout in preparation for a RMA back to the mothership due to combustion issues, intermittent start up, and general less than stellar performance. After work today I charged the vape, fine ground some Lemon Skunk, gently tamped 2 bowls and proceeded to enjoy 2 sessions at lowest factory setting. Zero combustion, vape woke up with 3 presses, great vapor/flavor. I will wait a bit to send this vape in for a check up. Just a great, problem free, monster flavor session from the Square.
Thanks Haze!

ginolicious

Not to beat this topic to death, I am like a broken fucking record and I’m sorry. Also a pot head once again after a 3 year break which was finished maybe 2-3 years ago.

I thought convection vapes needed coarse grind and no tamp?

Everyone that has had great results including myself used a fine grind with a tamp.

I understand with conduction vapes they make the vapour for you. With convection you have to make it yourself by inhaling slowly and for a long time. Usually the full length before the coil powers off.

Just wondering why it seems we need to be doing every opposite than what convection vapes are recommended to do? Anyone else feel that way? Not complaining. Just trying to understand so that I can get consistent results.

ginolicious,

caseball2051

Not to beat this topic to death, I am like a broken fucking record and I’m sorry. Also a pot head once again after a 3 year break which was finished maybe 2-3 years ago.

I thought convection vapes needed coarse grind and no tamp?

Everyone that has had great results including myself used a fine grind with a tamp.

I understand with conduction vapes they make the vapour for you. With convection you have to make it yourself by inhaling slowly and for a long time. Usually the full length before the coil powers off.

Just wondering why it seems we need to be doing every opposite than what convection vapes are recommended to do? Anyone else feel that way? Not complaining. Just trying to understand so that I can get consistent results.

With a finer grind you have more surface area for the hot air to rush through.

mephisto

Convection vapes need more attention, and for me, deliver better/different effects. I don't recall any convection based vapes suggesting a loose, airy load. Maybe the GH and the Magic Flight would tolerate this loading technique. All (Zion,MVT,FW,LB,EVO,Tubo,Milaana) of my convection vapes like this treatment.

mephisto,
Reactions: Easywider
Top Bottom