Good vaporizer for an 80 year old man with dementia and parkinsons?

FreddieFresh

Yea, not to derail the post but you're the man, Vitolo! If there's anyone in a position to give advice on this it would be you. There's a lot of love on this forum but you've been the most helpful and caring person I've seen. Keep being awesome people!

I followed your advice, along with a few other seasoned fc members and got an lsv a few months ago. Best decision I've made!

grokit

well-worn member
I was thinking some more about the plenty; a hot whip may be a good teaching aide in the spirit of aversion therapy, because it wouldn't seriously burn the user it would basically be a self-correcting feature :tup:

But then I was thinking that a seriously demented person, even one that can learn to not touch stuff that will burn them, shouldn't be trusted to operate an herbal vaporizer of any sort. So my recommendation in this case would be for a fan-forced plug-in, that a caretaker could use to administrate dosage to the patient.

Morty

OMFG!!! Thanks for that Vitolo! ! If you wouldn't of said that wasn't smoke, I would of totally thought you were combusting. Wowwwwwww :haw:.........I've been eyeing the LSV & the Vap 3 for a desktop purchase this Xmas, & you've have been making the decision that much harder, and I can't thank you enough for that! Lol. :lol: You sir are a grade A, level 10 pimp maestro! Alright, enough thread derailing and brown nosing by me. :nod: Back to your regularly scheduled programming folks.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Are concentrates-in-cartomizers available in your area? Some battery bases have no buttons: just inhale to activate the pen-style delivery system.
I think that's a fantastic idea if they're readily available.

For flowers I agree with the CFX. It is almost foolproof as far as vapor production. No need for special grinds or techniques.

Hoodooguru23

I would really consider the Pulsar APX. First, it's only $60. Second, it had the easiest controls of any vape I've used (Pax1, Pax 2, Firefly2, MFLB). You do have to hit the power button 5 times to turn it on, but it's easy to press (unlike Pax2) and doesn't have to be held while hitting it. It's easy to see what level it's on and heats up fast. It has a good mouthpiece. It's not desktop so you don't have to be sitting in a particular place. The only downside is that the mouthpiece screen can collect material that needs to be brushed off into the chamber every few hits. Frankly, it's a good as any vape I've used at a crazy low price.

Hoodooguru23,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Have a lot of issue with hands and would suggest the mighty too. The dosing caps make it easy to load unload in advance.

Another suggestion is a elevape. The 2.0 version is going be out soon. Things built like a tank can handle few drops and bumps.
I am with you on the mighty.
I tried the elevape, but I did not have the visual acuity or the manual dexterity to maintain the unit. It was a bit too small, and I could not manipulate the hex key without discomfort (aging joints). I also could not use the app, as we use old fashioned phones here, and My imac ... recently recent Snow Leopard is now obsolete as far as the Elevape application... It will not open it, and tells me I need to use a newer mac , like El Capitan.
If the 80 year old patient with Parkinsons and dementia is computer literate, and has good eyes, and manual dexterity, then the Elevape would be a consideration

Last edited:

Esmeralda

There are so many people using vapes for medicine, but in my researching I did find the info and "shopping" procedure difficult to sort through. I came from knowing one person who vapes and I think he mostly vapes nicotine from an e-cig, not herb. There was no one I could go to for advice, but I am able to use a computer and love to research. I feel for the person who is not computer literate and/or doesn't really know how to research something they know absolutely nothing about.
I do feel that the whole rebuild your coils, use this tank over that one, what type of batteries, here's how to tinker with your vape, etc is probably very offputting for a lot of folks. It's bewildering and scary. My husband is going to school for electrical engineering so he's anxious to get into my vapes and tear them apart, rebuild, etc but not everyone will have that.
There really do need to be some super simple, effective, easy to use, easy to buy vapes for MMJ patients especially, I think.

MinnBobber

He can't handle lighters anymore.

Ease of use is very important, for both physical steps and for memorizing what you have to do. Learning new processes that involve screwing, adjusting knobs, etc. is out of the question now so it should be as simple as "press button, receive vapor".

Budget is $300ish.

Portability and stealth are not important.
Mighty could be very good. Do you have one for him to try, before buying, to see if he's ok with the twist on/twist off cooling unit?
Also, the dosing capsules can be very difficult to open/load/close, even for folks with steady hands.
Could you provide assistance with them, like to load up a week's supply for him?

little maggie

You have a lot of suggestions. Some I haven't tried- like the Mighty because some people have commented on it being somewhat harsh.
Is the plan for this man to be self sufficient in using a vape?
I am one of the elders on the board and also have progressive tremors. At some point I don't think I'll be able to use my favorite dynavap.
Some have suggested vapes that you can prefill cartridges for. The Haze is one of those that hasn't been mentioned. I have the CF and CFX and I don't think they are that simple to use. I had to read the instructions multiple times to figure out how to use it. The milaana is very simple but requires battery changes. Another very simple portable that would be easy to learn is the solo and it's smaller sibling the air.
I don't have alzheimers but I notice my memory starting to have more problems. It works like the worst of being stoned without any of the benefits. In any case, the one vaporizer that I know that I will be able to use because of it's total simplicity, even with increased cognitive issues is the underdog. It can be left on all the time. Just put a stem in, wait a bit, and breathe in. The enano might be comparable. I fill all my stems so there's nothing to do except pick one and put it in the heater. It comes with 4 stems. Nothing to break depending on what stems you get. As for cleanup- Alan at HI has a method for loading that leaves very little cleanup. But I think dealing with screens can be a challenge.
I think that it would be helpful- no matter what you get- to have someone fill the stems or cartridges or whatever is used to hold the herb.

Last edited:

subway13029

You have a lot of suggestions. Some I haven't tried- like the Mighty because some people have commented on it being somewhat harsh.
Is the plan for this man to be self sufficient in using a vape?
I am one of the elders on the board and also have progressive tremors. At some point I don't think I'll be able to use my favorite dynavap.
Some have suggested vapes that you can prefill cartridges for. The Haze is one of those that hasn't been mentioned. I have the CF and CFX and I don't think they are that simple to use. I had to read the instructions multiple times to figure out how to use it. The milaana is very simple but requires battery changes. Another very simple portable that would be easy to learn is the solo and it's smaller sibling the air.
I don't have alzheimers but I notice my memory starting to have more problems. It works like the worst of being stoned without any of the benefits. In any case, the one vaporizer that I know that I will be able to use because of it's total simplicity, even with increased cognitive issues is the underdog. It can be left on all the time. Just put a stem in, wait a bit, and breathe in. The enano might be comparable. I fill all my stems so there's nothing to do except pick one and put it in the heater. It comes with 4 stems. Nothing to break depending on what stems you get. As for cleanup- Alan at HI has a method for loading that leaves very little cleanup. But I think dealing with screens can be a challenge.
I think that it would be helpful- no matter what you get- to have someone fill the stems or cartridges or whatever is used to hold the herb.
I just had to tell ya that you should try the mighty.it is the exact opposite of harsh. It's so smooth hitting. Very nice and flavor fully medicating clouds. It's such a smooth hitting vape

virtualpurple

I think the cf or CFX is a good choice. Though depending on the level of cognition even the clicking to get the device on and off could become very frustrating and off-putting.

I've worked with plenty of patients with Alzheimer's and dementia and have seen something as simple as the 5-click on/off become a real struggle.

Vitolo made a good point about the stems with log vapes potentially being problematic, though I think a long nylon stem or a wooden stem could work real well if only there were an easier loading system. If someone were able to craft a cap or something for a log vape that would more clearly guide the user (placing a tube into a hole at the surface level is way easier than placing it when theres a little depth as well (like the lip of a log vape).

I would love to be able to recommend the herbalizer, but fiddling with the bowl and the constant maintenance of the screens kinda rules it out in my eyes.

Now I have not used one myself, but I was looking at the zephyr ion and was wondering if anyone can chime in on its ease of use. @stickstones, do I recall you having one? And while I've got you, maybe you could give your thoughts on the vapolution 3?

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
What strikes me reading the responses is that almost every vape out there isn't that easy to use, especially the loading/unloading part.

Am I the only one hesitant to recommend a vape that must be turned on by hitting the side button 5 times in quick succession?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
What strikes me reading the responses is that almost every vape out there isn't that easy to use, especially the loading/unloading part.

Am I the only one hesitant to recommend a vape that must be turned on by hitting the side button 5 times in quick succession?
That's a concern that I thought about too.

It's hard for me to say because my manual dexterity isn't impaired, but I find the CFX easy to turn on.

It doesn't necessarily have to be exactly 5 clicks. I've found if you just press the button like crazy it will turn on. I don't count 5 presses I just press the hell out of it.

It might even be desirable to prevent accidentally turning it on. That could possibly be a problem with dementia.

Vapor_Eyes,
Reactions: Morty

Vitolo

Vaporist
my manual dexterity isn't impaired, but I find the CFX easy to turn on
Mine is moderately to severely impaired.
I find a way to use EVERY vape however....
I work at it until I get it.
I recommended the CFX to start with, because it is one of the first vapes I have used in a long time, that was completely effortless for me to load and use.

...and as for dementia... it turns itself off in a timely fashion.
I have TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and my memory suffers as well. (especially short term memory)

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I would go for the HA, it's solid, very easy to use, versatile and tasty&potent!

A dog broke some branches on one of my plants, I tossed that(not totally dry) in my HA and got some amazing sessions even if this flowers was 2-3 weeks before total maturation.

I never grind with the HerbalAire.

virtualpurple

Is this resident in a legal state that has dispensaries? If so, then the easiest solution may be some simple draw activated devices that look like a simple cigarette.

We all love our vapes, and some of us may question what goes into those devices, but they are an effective delivery system that is hard for someone to injure themselves with.

Greenfinger53

I think this thread shows a need for versions of vapes with a simple toggle switch to turn on and off, specially for patients .

Click on off and maybe a dual or multi position switch for 'low, medium and high' temperature settings.

I know the multiple clicks are good to stop it turning on in your pocket, but so many people use portables just for home use

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Now I have not used one myself, but I was looking at the zephyr ion and was wondering if anyone can chime in on its ease of use. @stickstones, do I recall you having one? And while I've got you, maybe you could give your thoughts on the vapolution 3?

I did have an Ion, and I sent it to @Vitolo for the program. He will have better thoughts on its applicability here than I.

I like the Vap3 and use it several times a week for nightcaps, but I wouldn't recommend it here. The session is like racing a horse and I think it would require too much thinking.

Vitolo

Vaporist
The Ion is a GREAT unit.
Easier to use than the Volcano, but more difficult to clean.
If one was to say that the patient needed a bag vape, in this case I would say the Zephyr Ion was better for him.
Still it has parts and parts do get hot and get lost.
I love the Ion, and the patients that received it from us loved them.
It went to a patient whose family sent it back to me when he passed and now is in it's second home with a Cancer Survivor.
I think this thread shows a need for versions of vapes with a simple toggle switch to turn on and off, specially for patients .
Exactly what the CFX does.
That is why I recommended it.
I know the multiple clicks are good to stop it turning on in your pocket, but so many people use portables just for home use
I love the CFX as a home unit. I use it on my more "disabled" days.

Top Bottom