Discontinued Gn0me - lighter based vaporizers

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well i have one similar to that one (cuz my old one was forgotten somewhere in the forests..,no big deal cuz igniter was already failing :) It takes about the same time as with my previous torch.. When tank is full less than 30 secs for sure. :). Om 15-20 i can see the glass glowing red and i need 10 more to heat another side to the same level :) so i can get less temp drop when i pull.

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Shame on you for littering :p

That's not to bad at all for a relatively small torch like that, thanks man.

OhTheAgony,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
What are the outer dimensions of that case J.R.(R.)? And how long does it take you to heat up that Gnome with that particular torch?

Hey OTA. The box dimensions are 17cm x 11cm x 4.5cm. With that torch it takes from cold - let me see - 25 seconds with the Classic, then 10 second top-up blasts. Initial heat up with the GonG is about 10 seconds more.

J.R.R.Tokin',

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Cool, thanks mate :tup:

I was just googling Intec cases, they come in a lot of different sizes it seems. I'll check out the local toy stores to see if they sell them here, where did you find yours?

I assume both of you use the torch on full blast btw?

OhTheAgony,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I got my case off ebay - just checked but seller does not have any listed atm - it was for the Gameboy DS I believe.

I have my torch on 3/4 as I find the flame can be a bit variable at the top setting.

J.R.R.Tokin',

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
I have to admit it's really fun to hit these in the glassblowing shop, since I have a really small hand torch I use for polishing the seams on bubblers and the like... it's the smallest flame I use but it's still hotter than any butane torch, simply because it's propane/oxygen... it heats the classic vape up from cold in about 2 seconds xD I have made a couple classic heat exchangers go floppy from heating them too much during a hit.

The trouble with big torches is controlling the flame... with smaller torches, keeping the flame on one spot until it's giving off the yellow flame works the best. With a big butane torch, it's best to wave the flame across the whole rippled heating area, so you don't suddenly overheat a single spot. With a big flame it's easier to see the development of the yellow flare over the whole surface of the piece.

One weird thing about glass is that it's a really great insulator of heat when it's cold, but as it heats up and starts glowing, it gives off more and more heat as infrared radiation, which makes it a pretty decent conductor of heat. The point this starts happening at is about when the yellow flare starts being emitted. Convenient!

Even more strange is that as it becomes liquid, glass goes from being a great insulator of electricity to a conductor of electricity. If you're not careful pulling a gather from an electric crucible, and end up touching the molten glass to the heating element, you can get a rather nice 220 volt shock up the blowpipe. Fortunately I only work with torches, and suffer kiln electrocution only from my tweezers when I put a piece in to anneal carelessly (which hasn't happened yet!). In large bottlemaking plants, where they have swimming pool sized vats of molten glass, one strategy for melting the mess is to use gas to get the glass molten, and once it's flowing some electrodes in the vat are energized and the glass itself is used as its own heating element. Cool, huh?

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Here's a couple of pics I just snapped of a new Gn0me setup I have been using for friends:

You just need to yank the stopper to clear the piece, and if I'm using a piece that has some blowback, it goes out of the open end instead of back up the Gn0me.

Frederick McGuire,

Nycdeisel

haha I didnt even notice that! thanks for pointing it out :D

Looks pretty decent for under 10 bucks!! nice, how long have you been using it so far? I hve had alright luck with some of those cheaper lower end torches. But I have a few better ones too.

Got my email out, Im now trying to decide on the colors I want! Of course this would be the hardest part :p

Nycdeisel,
Reactions: vorrange

vorrange

Vapor.wise
haha I didnt even notice that! thanks for pointing it out :D

Looks pretty decent for under 10 bucks!! nice, how long have you been using it so far? I hve had alright luck with some of those cheaper lower end torches. But I have a few better ones too.

Got my email out, Im now trying to decide on the colors I want! Of course this would be the hardest part :p

For a glass conoisseur like yourself, i think a glass gn0me is more than adequate in your line up. :D

Nycdeisel

Hey Gn0me, my friend is concerned about stress cracks developing from very frequent use of the GonG gn0me vaporizer. i havent seen much concern about this but Im curious what your thoughts are on this.

Nycdeisel,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Are you worried cracking the Gnome itself, or the GonG joint you stuff it in to? Anyways, I've used a similar functioning Vapocane for months now and have read everything I could find about it, I don't think there's any risk unless you heat it to fast and/or unevenly/

OhTheAgony,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
The part where you heat is punched every 90º across the perimeter of the tube, and the glass is somewhat thick, so i believe it is not like heating a smooth surface. And there is not much weight to the gn0me so i am guessing that helps too. But gn0me knows better, i just know physics. :D

The thought actually never crossed my mind, i am carefull after i am done to not put in a cold surface like glass or marble, i try to use wood and i blow into it to lower the temp faster.

vorrange,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
You are wise to bring this up: stress cracking is an issue I was worried about in the design phase - getting glass above the stress temperature (about 950 F for boro) repeatedly is definitely hard use. This is actually one of the reasons why the vapes are only 1.5-1.8mm thick for the heat exchanger section. Thick glass doesn't deal with repeated heating and cooling very well - basically the outside of the glass cools faster than the inside, which makes a layer of glass that's "set" in position before the glass on the inside is done contracting, and it cracks trying to shrink to the room temperature position. This is why all the glass that comes out of the shop has to be annealed - held at a stress relieving temperature and then cooled very slowly past the strain temperature - before it's ready to use.

Once the glass is a certain thickness, however, it can cool evenly enough that stress can't build up to a very noticeable degree. Borosilicate glass nails for oils usually don't work for very long, since they need to be thick to retain enough heat to function - eventually they crack due to the stress built up from repeated heating and cooling (especially the flash-cooling induced by adding the oil). What I've discovered from making and using these vapes for quite some time now is that the low wall thickness combined with the rippled design yields a piece which can take a lot of thermal abuse. I have had a classic heat exchanger in constant use as a demo model in a head shop for a month and a half, with 20+ uses per day, with no ill effect - both bowl sections were black with burned on tobacco, but the piece never cracked.

This is also one reason I only use Simax (and sometimes Duran or Pyrex) lab glass for anything clear (and especially anything exposed to heat repeatedly). I've found Chinese clear to be especially prone to thermal shock, to the point where I don't even bother having it in the shop. I've wasted far too many tubes of glass by putting the tube in the torch flame and watching as a foot of raw glass spiderwebs cracks and falls to the bench. Chinese ground joints obviously won't do for the heat exchanger of the GonG vapes, so quality joints have to be sourced. It's not worth it for me to be cheap, for me or for my customers.

So far I've only heard of one of the vapes I've made cracking from stress after months of use... I can only think this must be a defective piece, since so many others have been in use far longer, and I'll happily replace heat exchangers that crack within 60 days from purchase, provided you send me a photo of the cracked piece showing the stress crack. (under no circumstances should you actually send the piece back to me!) After that period, please contact me and we can work something out. I will also sell replacement HX or mouthpiece sections separately in case your vape has an accident that leaves it partially intact.

All that said, heating the rippled section evenly greatly helps with peace-of-mind when it comes to the long term durability of your glass. Blasting it from cold in just one spot is less safe than moving the flame slowly across the surface of the exchanger, and heating the half of the exchanger closest to the "bowl" works really well if your torch has a teeny tiny flame.

Hope this has been informative, if a bit long winded!
-gn0me!

zxzDarkCloudzxz

word. im a dabber and if you have xeprience with the birdhouse you know they crack with much use.

word thanks for the reply.
i hope to get word out to this thread that you should heat up away from the flame then rotate and slowly pull into the flame much like working glass.
my glassc racked when it came in contact with liquid.

*not a good idea to forcefully cool the glass. let it sit on a glass table. or put it on a ceramic plate/cup/jar...etc...
also, now i understand the situation.
THANK YOU!!

zxzDarkCloudzxz,
Reactions: Nycdeisel

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
Word up. The post above is specifically targeted at my products, but some additional info for use with glass nails and the like would be that you really don't want to leave the glass nail sitting in the torch flame for prolonged periods of time - once you see the flame go from only blue to showing the yellow flare, you're far hotter than the nail needs to be, and leaving it in the flame after that is only going to remove fluxes from the glass, which will hasten its demise. You're right in that forcing the nail to cool quickly will also cause it to break. Since dabbing is a form of forced cooling, another tip I could give you is that if you really want it to last a long time, heat it back up after you dab, and let it cool to room temperature on its own. Heating it until you see the yellow/orange flare come off in the flame will help relieve the stress induced by the dab, and letting it cool on its own will allow it to start the next time from a stress free state.

Happy vaping ^_^

Polmol

Oh man something extraordinary just happened: I had just taken a good sip of red wine and then I vaped some fresh premium herb, heating the glass for a shorter time than I usually do. There was almost nothing when I exhaled but the flavour was completely unique! The vapor somehow enhanced the taste of the raisin and vice versa, and both flavours came together to create the most delicious raisin-tasting vapor!

Goo!

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Was feeling a little bit crafty today. I cut up an old pair of jeans and stitched a carrying pouch for my Classic.
sdc10735o.jpg

sdc10734h.jpg

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Thanks :D I do love it. I always try and give myself little crafty things to do at work. I haven't picked up a needle and thread for ages and found this really enjoyable.

For my next shift I'm going to make one for my GonGn0me with the elbow adaptor. Should take a good few hours out of my overnight 12 hr shift!

J.R.R.Tokin',

Nycdeisel

Have fun and good luck! Im sure itll come out nice if that one up there is the first time you have done that in a while. Waiting for pics :) Thats definitely a great way to kill time btw :peace:

Polmol

Hey JRR I was wondering if you made yourself a case for the bubbler? I'd be interested to see some pics if you did... I need some inspiration ;)

thanks man

Polmol,
Top Bottom