Discontinued Gn0me - lighter based vaporizers

Polmol

So I've been using the Gn0me exclusively since I got it and yesterday I went back to the Extreme Q. The difference in taste is astonishing. I made a bag and there was an aftertaste that i think you can only realize when having tasted the vapor of a gn0me. It really is pure.

the only downside to the gn0me classic for me is that I can't see the herb changing color. If the second part (the one that has the smile at the end) was elbow-shaped and a bit longer, it would be perfect. It would also be easier to hold it. I'm not a fan of ground glass joints. I love the look of the classic

Polmol,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
So I've been using the Gn0me exclusively since I got it and yesterday I went back to the Extreme Q. The difference in taste is astonishing. I made a bag and there was an aftertaste that i think you can only realize when having tasted the vapor of a gn0me. It really is pure.

the only downside to the gn0me classic for me is that I can't see the herb changing color. If the second part (the one that has the smile at the end) was elbow-shaped and a bit longer, it would be perfect. It would also be easier to hold it. I'm not a fan of ground glass joints. I love the look of the classic
Nice to see another satisfied customer. It really does have excellent flavour. I don't know why you cant see your green changing colour - can't you just angle it up slightly for a view?

J.R.R.Tokin',

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I decided to create a carry case for my gn0me. I wanted the classic and oil dome in an all-in-one travel set. Here's what I came up with.

19032012087.jpg

19032012086.jpg

It has a few little pockets in the lid for grinder, stash etc.

*Sorry for the double post but they're 24hrs apart so couldn't edit to add.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
img07191.jpg

My new lighters pairing with the classic and the pouch. The photo is a little blue, it was taken with my phone hence the quality. :)

Been hitting mainly with the gn0me when i'm at home, outside it is the MFLB for stealth missions. hehehe.

Love the blue clouds and awesome sweet taste i get with the classic, hit after hit. :D

vorrange,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I'm loving the pics of everyones setups.

Here's a pic of my torches:

The big one is a chefs torch similar to one Calen suggested at one point.
Wow... It heats the Gn0me in like 5 seconds.
The red one is a triple jet and the silver one is a quad jet.
The long one is the main torch I use, but it takes it quite a bit longer than the big one to heat up the gn0me.

And here's a new way to use the Gn0me WPA I thought of the other day:

Frederick McGuire,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
:) Nice pics and nice torches dude.. I used gnomes just like you did with dbv.. I have adapter 18 to 14 mm.. tried both ends and i must say i liked the performance of the 14 mm bowl better than the 18mm :) because i could vape more efficient at lower temps than with bigget joint.. .

Polmol

Is it best to get premium butane or will the cheap stuff do? What's the difference?

Polmol,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I think in this case the premium makes a difference in the preservation of the lighter, not much interest for health reasons i believe.

Just made some blue clouds with my blue gn0me, so good! :D

Just wondering.. a soldering iron with temp control touching the heating area in the gn0me. Wouldn't that work a bit like the VHW, since you isolate the heating from the herb and you have the slow temp rising, alowing to even better extraction?

vorrange,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I agree with vorrange,
Since there is no butane/flame in the air path, any contaminants aren't going to be going into your lungs.
However, any crap in there is still gonna gunk up your lighter.
I just had to clean off the jet nozzle of my long torch I posted above. All the cheap butane I has been using left a big black pile of crap that was slowing the flame down.

Edit:
I don't know about the soldering iron idea,
I don't think you would be able to transfer enough heat into the glass.
I have a variable temp soldering iron, and it goes up to 450c, thats less than a torch flame (isn't it?), and it's less contact area.

I would think you would need something more like a heating wire coiled around the pinches in the heat exchanger.

Frederick McGuire,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
@Frederick Mcguire, you really think you would need a coil? The Heating area is thin enough to have a nice heat transfer that wouldn't require that much time for it to be ready..

vorrange,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Well, I just look at how long it takes me to heat up my GonGnome with the pen torch I posted above (about a minute), and I figure that's hotter, and hitting a greater area than a soldering iron would.

Unless I'm not thinking of a good way of holding the soldering iron to the gnome, or underestimating the heating ability of a soldering iron, I don't think it'd work out.

Also, I know the classic is a bit easier to heat than the GonG, so that could affect things too.

Frederick McGuire,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I've been using that large torch posted above for a few sessions now, and I can't reccomend it (or something similar) highly enough.

The torch itself was $20ish from amazon, and I got 4 cans of butane for it for $5.
I've probably used it for 5-6 sessions, and used less than 1/3 of a can.

My heatup times with my old torch were around the 1 minute mark, and I would continue heating while hitting, and while stirring.
Basically non-stop over the course of a load.

With this new torch, a 5-10 second initial blast gets me enough heat to get a nice flavorful first rip, and then 2-5 seconds for each following rip, using the retained heat method now.

It was so convenient that I was turning to my gnome, when I had my pre-heated and ready-to-go SSV right next to me.
:mmmm:

Frederick McGuire,

Polmol

I made myself a little powder bowl with an extra screen I had with my extreme Q. I took the end of a pen which the diameter is smaller than the classic and worked the screen around it, bending it with long-nose pliers until it looked like a small circular basket. It fits perfectly in the classic! Here are some pics:

DSC_0104b.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

Polmol,

Abysmal Vapor

Glad you like it Fred ! IMO Gnomes are one of the best performing vapes on the market. Clean airpath = clean taste for sure :). Awesome video too .. i wish i can get my hands on one of those matrix pieces.. but i haven't had the chance to buy anything high end yet :p.

Abysmal Vapor,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
It certainly earned itself a pretty high spot on my favourite vapes list.

And as you can see from the vid, with the right torch, the heatup time is only a few seconds :luv:

Frederick McGuire,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Heat up time looks impressive indeed! But that is a serious torch too, lol.

That Gnome seems way bigger than my Vapocane btw, must try one out myself some day.

Is there a close up picture in this thread of of what the bowl looks like on the GonG Gnome perhaps?

OhTheAgony,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
If there wasn't before, there will be in a minute.
I just snapped some pics, and I'll upload them now...

EDIT:
  1. The Heater Section
  2. Looking down the Heater Section
  3. The Mouthpiece
  4. A Close up of the outside of the pinches that make the Bowl
  5. The Bowl of the mouthpiece
  6. The WPA
  7. The Bowl of the WPA
  8. The Heater (left) and the Mouthpiece (right)
  9. The WPA (left) and the Mouthpiece (right)

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
That looks pretty interesting, thanks man. So do these 3 pieces come in the standard GonG package, or was this a custom order?

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

I think the prices are still the same as mentioned in the OP
Ground Glass Gnome:
$50 (mouthpiece + main body )
Waterpipe adapter:
$20 - 14mm-14mm
$22 - 14mm-19mm
-------------------
There is a
free shipment with the 15 % FC discount (shipment within the US is meant i think).

------------------Anyway if i am going to use the gnome with the WP only i would spare the mouthpiece and get wpa bowl/ adapter instead.. You better ask Calen about current prices ,although he hasnt mentioned any change..of prices.

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I never really understood how it worked up to now I guess. I thought the GonG version only worked with a waterpipe and didn't come with a regular mouthpiece, so I figured I had to order both the regular and the GonG kits if I wanted portable use as well as the option to hook it up to my waterpipe, lol

It's finally clear now, all I need is a GonG Gnome and the 14mm waterpipe adapter for what I want, thanks again guys.

OhTheAgony,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
IIRC, the WPA is a separate piece.

I Just shot Calen an e-mail letting him know what I wanted, he let me know how much it was and that was that.

He matched the color on mine to a pic of my SSV heater cover I sent him.

From my first e-mail to postage, it was only 6 days, which is pretty snappy if you ask me :lol:

EDIT:
Well, I was pretty slow with that reply...:uhoh:
Those prices match up with what I paid too. (Shipping to Aus was only $6 :tup:)

Frederick McGuire,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Sounds good man. I don't really need another lighter based vape right now, but I've had my eye on this one for a while now..resistance starts failing.. Perhaps I could justify it to myself because I don't have a portable that doesn't require batteries or a car adapter yet, lemme try :haw:

I decided to create a carry case for my gn0me. I wanted the classic and oil dome in an all-in-one travel set. Here's what I came up with.

19032012087.jpg

19032012086.jpg

It has a few little pockets in the lid for grinder, stash etc.

*Sorry for the double post but they're 24hrs apart so couldn't edit to add.

What are the outer dimensions of that case J.R.(R.)? And how long does it take you to heat up that Gnome with that particular torch?

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom