Discontinued Ghost MV1

Some-new-user

Anyone know if the glass mouthpiece had/has a tighter fit. I'm on board with the 2 previous comments. Although I do like how the air flow is variable through how much you draw the mouthpiece out.

I seem to use mine quite short. My lips go around the top part and push up to the heat sink so yeah I've been kissing my vape.

martinstraka8282

I feel like I've noticed different airflow sounds based on the mouthpiece flopping around a bit, but not any actual performance changes.

martinstraka8282,

Dragonlore

My perspective:
I'm not going to compare the Ghost with my past vaporizers, because I used them in some cases for many years. I had forgotten their shortcomings years ago threw repeated usage. Eventually they faded.
Any new toy is at a a disadvantage. It's flaws ripe and new.

I also believe that if you respect an investment it will respect you. So, I take care of my sh#t, so it will last.

With all that said. I love the MV1.
Or, more accurately, I WANT to love the MV1.

I like crucibles. Yes, they will always be a little finicky. Nature of the beast when dealing with Herbs. Grinds will always be varied, regardless of the grinder.
I like the ability to clean replace the oven. In theory, it will extend life.

I find it easy to clean. Yes, several parts to remove and clean. But I can remove them and clean them. Many have areas that never get cleaned and eventually degrade performance. Also, in theory will extend life.

IT HITS LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN!

The damn latch. On my 2nd unit, and in less than a month after original purchase, Latch has broken again.
NO, I not rough with it in any way. If anything, with this second unit, I have been ridiculously pampering it. Doing anything and everything to protect the fragile latch. Still broke. ugh.
Not angry. Extremely disappointed. Longevity and dependability are important on an expensive device.

Mouthpiece. (mp for convenience)
If not for that dang latch, my only real issue with the unit.

it's too loose. Air is fed to the mp from 2 opposing holes in the ceramic, right. The mp moves enough that you can block one of those holes. that will have an effect on the quality of the vapor and can also effect the way air is drawn through the crucible. Yes, I can figure it out and make it work. Messing with it I've experienced how much it can effect the quality of the vapor.
I can see this especially with new, inexperienced users.
I don't like to have to put thought into the placement of the mp.

It's the latch that really puts pause on recommending it to anyone without other devices.
My old ones are all gone. most wore out. I Hoped to get years of use out of my Ghost purchase. Heck, my last vaporizer to die, leading me to the ghost purchase, was a Vapir no2. Had it for years, and years. since it was first released. It cost about half the price of the ghost. Looking at a 3rd ghost in 30 days. 3-5 crucibles a day. Pampering it more than I pamper my pampered wife.

Ghost customer service is great! I'm sure a replacement will be shipped soon.
I never feel like I have to worry about issues.
It's great to know they are great at taking care of problems.
It's just I don't want to need them quite so often.

I'm now invested in The MV-1.
we've had a few good times together, when we've been together
I Really, really want to love it.
It's just hard to form that long term relationship with someone who is only available for brief periods between trips to California. What about my needs.

The Ghost Could be great. Fix the latch. The interface need tweaked as well... but those tears have already been shed by other posters.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Disclaimer: My wife works for Ghost Vapes. Take that into consideration when reading my posts in this thread. I will attempt to present factual, impartial information on Ghost products, but won't blame you one bit if you think I am biased towards this company.

Hey guys, update on the broken latches. They were able to break a faulty unit in-house by repeatedly pushing really hard on the latch like it were a button. I know what they're talking about because I did this a lot at first until I realized it was a latch that opened with a slide, like this (jump to the 7 minute mark and watch about 30 seconds):

The working theory is that a combination of pushing on the latch, instead of sliding it, AND a faulty unit can break the latch. The search for the source of the faulty units is on. They think sliding the latch on any unit shouldn't break the latch, but if yours is faulty Ghost will take care of you. Ghost isn't faulting any of their customers - a broken latch is a faulty latch. I'm just updating you on what they've found so far.

If you think your oven is hard to open, you might be pushing more than sliding. When I first got mine I pushed hard on it and nothing would open. Then I pushed hard with a sliding motion and it opened most of the time. Later I figured out I barely had to push at all (like in the video above)...it was all in the slide. It was like an 'aha' moment. Anyhow, those are my tips for opening any MV1, faulty or not.

Dragonlore

The video didn't want to work on my phone. So, not sure what it shows. I always kinda skid my thumb down from the door. Like a phone swipe, I guess. With the second unit I added pushing in on the door with one hand, to remove pressure ,while swiping right.
Pretty sure I'm doing it right.
I will endeavor to be even more careful next time.

I also plan on taking sweetly in it's, um, mouthpiece. Make it a nice velvety bed to rest upon. Feed it only the finest of herbs and concentrates. I'll beg it not to leave me again. Rub it in that spot between it's shoulder blades it likes rubbed. I know it likes it. It trembles ever so slightly.
I promise I will. As soon as it gets back from California.

Dragonlore,
Reactions: Summer

Brewervapesalot

I just gotta say that it's a latch and not a button. Buttons are for pushing and latches are for sliding.

In other words, no pressure towards the unit is required, just slide your finger across the latch and away from the unit.

All of my units required almost no pressure to slide the latch away from the unit, which opened it 100% of the time. Pretty slick actually (not saying I like the swinging door design--but it's a very smooth latch that requires minimal effort to open).

Dragonlore

I agree. Mine was the same. Very slick. till it broke. then not so much.
Jumped on the pc. watched video. That's exactly how I open it, swipe right. still broke. I even left the door open when not in use. Just so it wasn't kept under pressure.

crepuscule

Just got mine. Only other vape i used is arizer air v1 to compare. Looks NICE.
Man this thing is heavy! Didn't check the weight :) But also smaller than i expected.
Its way different to the air. Both are good. I can see taking this out and about pretty easily too for hits before a gig.
Not getting much clouds but man it works fast and great clean & no heat feeling.
However, I CANT FUCKING PAIR THE APP to get hotter temps. Doesn't recognize the vape trying to pair.
I have Nexus 6p with Stock Android 8.1.0. Since trying this paring, the red LED charge light does not come on when charging!
Now to vape some more because the battery is at 3 conjoined LEDS full, use up some of the battery and put it on charge and see if it charges or not. Nice vape, i hope it not stuffed.
AND HOW THE FUCK CAN I GET HIGHER TEMPS. Common ghost, cant lock shit up with an app, and i hope the location permission for the app is only to use bluetooth? isnt it seperate tho? who knows android is fucked too.
Dont worry gave my battery a good overnight charging to start off with till led went out.

Last edited:
crepuscule,

Alexis

Just got mine. Only other vape i used is arizer air v1 to compare. Looks NICE.
Man this thing is heavy! Didn't check the weight :) But also smaller than i expected.
Its way different to the air. Both are good. I can see taking this out and about pretty easily too for hits before a gig.
Not getting much clouds but man it works fast and great clean & no heat feeling.
However, I CANT FUCKING PAIR THE APP to get hotter temps. Doesn't recognize the vape trying to pair.
I have Nexus 6p with Stock Android 8.1.0. Since trying this paring, the red LED charge light does not come on when charging!
Now to vape some more because the battery is at 3 conjoined LEDS full, use up some of the battery and put it on charge and see if it charges or not. Nice vape, i hope it not stuffed.
AND HOW THE FUCK CAN I GET HIGHER TEMPS. Common ghost, cant lock shit up with an app, and i hope the location permission for the app is only to use bluetooth? isnt it seperate tho? who knows android is fucked too.
Dont worry gave my battery a good overnight charging to start off with till led went out.
Glad you like various aspects about the device, and a warm welcome here. :tup::)However I did not very much enjoy reading your first post, as it does upset me a little when new (or any) members join up and come right in brashly swearing in disappointment and almost outrage at initial hiccups.

I think we just demand and expect too much nowadays to be honest. And it would be nice if people could be a little more patient polite and reserved then if they don't get what they feel they are duely owed, then by all means come huffing and blazing.

It probably doesn't help as well that you have left some of your post in but crossed out rather than just deleting it, and apparently without properly editing the text after that into a new more relevant context.
So personally I'm a little confused and unclear exactly what your current predicament is and what you are stuck with, unsure about.

Last edited:

MAbud

Yep. Depending on where the mouthpiece is leaning (which varies continuously throughout a hit) I hear and feel different amounts of airflow coming in. Removes the consistency from the device, which removes a big aspect as to why I prefer certain vapes.

Just swapped my original MV1 for the new stealth. I love the look but am floored how loose and wobbly my mouthpiece is. This vape has been out awhile to still have an issue like this...

crepuscule

sorry, maybe bit harsh. but also they NEED to know its a really crap thing that you need to use the app, and when you do (giving up privacy as well, just installing it tells google something. people care about privacy yaknow) IT DOESNT WORK and im missing functionality that the device can do for no good reason. Are they going to maintain the app forever on all new devices and OSes and revisions? Hello long term? Annoying. Its not cheap device. Annoyed also because the user guide is not the best either. How to change up and down temps i had to google, device orientation when reading lights not mentioned, confusion not good for new users. Im just not picking some stuff but again, device not cheap, and this is newer meant to have fixes yet still problems? Sorry im just also having a crap day/year. lol or maybe i came in annoyed because the device made me annoyed. dont know. ;|

Reggie Watts

Just got my Rose Gold MV1 from the Ghost website (holiday bundle). Love it!

I came here to ask about the latch, but I see that's a common topic. Because the surface is smooth and slippery, it's difficult for my skin to grip the surface enough to slide it to the right, so I have to use a finger nail to pry it open. If they had put a rubbery textured surface on the latch or a lip on the end of it, that would help a lot. Then when I close it, there's not a satisfying "click" to let me know it's fully closed. Instead, it just slowly slides into place. This is all normal, right? I guess there's a break-in period?

I read somewhere that newer units had some hardware updates. Can you tell by the serial number? Mine starts with GR17.

Is there any way to clean the part of the vape below the crucible chamber? I've had some herb crumbs fall down into there.

It gets me VERY medicated and is super efficient. Also love the ergonomics and aesthetics.

Last edited:

Some-new-user

Mmmm. Catchgate has got me all worried/confused/over thinking.

My catch - to me - feels good but I've been nursing it a little by pulling the catch back when trying to close the door and then pushing the door closed. If I just push the door closed it feels quite stiff.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

When opening I do the sort of phone swipe to the right although if I go to the bottom like the video suggests it's considerably stiffer. My sweet spot seems to be around the centre. It just pings/flicks open. I was also pushing on the door before opening and slowly pulling the catch but if this is what the video suggests then I'll carry on. My unit is only a few days old. I did put it on to the lower heat (calibration) setting. I had some charring but this seems to have eradicated that. Still early days.

I do really love the vape - the taste, the heat up time, I actually like loading the crucibles but I use my mighty with the dosing capsules so it's a similar experience. Different to volcano or EQ where I just smash some bud in there but the mv1 does seem to conserve with the crucible/oven size.

Not sure about the battery life but since this festive bundle is so good and I got a lot of overtime in through November/December I've treat myself to another. I got a stealth this time. I am very lucky to be in this situation. Now I have two units/batteries to compare. I'll have to get a notebook going.

Dragonlore

Just to be clear for Ghost troubleshooting.
My latch NEVER felt stiff, hard to open, in any way.
Both times, I only notice the latch is broken when I go to vape.
load crucible into door
carefully close door (did I mention the pampering on the second unit)
press button
no worky. lights flashy.
I then notice the door is slightly ajar.
then realize it wont close
latch broken.

Nothing was apparent prior to the break. the latch always worked smoothly.
out of paranoia with the second unit (see: pampering)
and because I never had any of said stiffness.
I would push the door in to remove all pressure from latch.
SLIDE latch, then let door open.

to close I would slide latch, push door closed, while holding door closed, carefully release latch
(pampering), carefully release door.
NEVER did I EVER have to push ANYTHING hard. in anyway.
it always opened smooth as gravy. no real pressure required. ever.
with either unit. I pampered to remove as much of the human element as I could.
Because I want to medicate. I want to have my ghost for years to come.

I can only speak to my case. If others mention any difficulty or stiffness on opening, those are just things I haven't experienced.

Slagzord

Don't fuckle with shuckle
Things I learned tonight:
1) The Ghost is way more convenient for in-venue tokes than most other vapes I own (I find the Vapcap too difficult to use properly in loud spaces)...but I already knew that from seeing John Prine recently
2) The Ghost when left in your pocket is a dangerous thing in a mosh pit. People throwing elbows hitting it recoil really fast! When going to raise hell, make sure to have someone hold your Ghost so your fellow moshers don't get hurt. Thing is a weapon.

MAbud

Things I learned tonight:
1) The Ghost is way more convenient for in-venue tokes than most other vapes I own (I find the Vapcap too difficult to use properly in loud spaces)...but I already knew that from seeing John Prine recently
2) The Ghost when left in your pocket is a dangerous thing in a mosh pit. People throwing elbows hitting it recoil really fast! When going to raise hell, make sure to have someone hold your Ghost so your fellow moshers don't get hurt. Thing is a weapon.

It’d been even better if you could kill the bright green flashing lights. No need given the haptics

MAbud,

Slagzord

Don't fuckle with shuckle
@MAbud - I kind of hold it like Gollum holding the One Ring. I hunch over and have both my hands greedily wrapped around THE PRECIOUS lest one of those dirty security Hobbitses take away the precious. ;)

That said, I agree whole-heartily. The light is VERY bright and its placement less than optimal. Unlike the Crafty you can't wrap a chubby finger around the light and drown it out with soft flesh. I would also describe it as 'leaky' and when I think it is covered it is not. The patterns also really give it away in a crowded situation even if the Ghost has a unique ability of delivering effective hits without big clouds.

I hope that in a future firmware or app update they provide more functional control over the lights, with the ability to dim them, turn them off, or offer a little personalization. In the Ghost MV2 I hope that they do something radically different than the one light interface that they have now. I like the on-device controls but a tamer light in a stealthier location would definitely give this vape the benefit of added travelability in situations where it ought not be.

Also, some sharp spikes. After last night I think that I would like this vape even more if it had a punk as fuck jacket with a few spikes and some poorly applied back patches. @ghostvapesofficial there is an untapped accessory market in providing tiny outfits to our Ghosts.

BangBoomBang

I feel like I've noticed different airflow sounds based on the mouthpiece flopping around a bit, but not any actual performance changes.
I try not to push the mouthpiece in any direction while pulling.
It’s not to hard to maintain a constant air flow without pushing the mouthpiece in any way, if you ask me.

I pull out the mouthpiece until it “clicks in” with the small gap.

Some-new-user

I'm getting really good results with 0.03 gram. I placed a screen in a crucible, it was just a random round one I found and shaped/squashed it in with the back of a S&B brush. With a fine grind it only just covers the bottom of the entire crucible. I then cover it with the liquid pad. I get 1 wispy hit at level 1 and 2 nice hits at level 2. I can get another weak hit at level 2 - still quite tasty though, if I bump it up I start to get the popcorn taste and more brown spots so I'm fine with that. With a bit more practice I may be able to get a bit more out of it. I don't always go for a full 15 seconds, sometimes I just go until I feel comfortable. I can tell when I'm getting vapour from it. The lid is kept a considerable amount cleaner this way - people may not want the mesh/steel in their airpath but this works for me. I do notice a difference in flavour and production but I'll take that plus this is only 1 out of 7 crucibles I'll make a few more but can still experience a full bowl if I want to.

With the mouthpiece I've ordered some glass ones, I'll give them a go. There's a few comments not so long back about the mouthpiece/stem being loose. I think this could cause issues as I feel like when it's loose the stem is more likely to move around inside the heatsink, would this cause uneven flow like if one of the holes in the ceramic was blocked? f I pull the stem to the part where the indents 'catch' (its very loose) I can move it around quite a bit, like a straw in a milkshake.

Anyway last night I cut a bit of tube. I bought loads when I bought the extreme q so I couldn't say the size specifically but it seems like a snug fit around the stem, I wanted to use it as a stabilizer - to keep where the stem was pointing to inside the heatsink central. It did seem to make a bit of a difference but I much prefer this vape with the stem quite short now the stem is only extended as long as the length of tube - about 1cm. The stem can't go any further in to the heatsink and it can't 'flop around' either. I guess you could achieve something similar with an O ring from somewhere.

I don't know if that would make a big difference, I'm just relaying my experience.

I'm also +1 for lights off/dim/on
+1 for temp setting before battery indicator
I'd like to also throw in sequence mode - program the temperature depending on the number of times the heater button is pressed eg

* 1 - amber 1.
*2 *3 - amber 2
* 4 - F1
*5 - F2

something like that would save me a lot of time. I'm also enjoying using the app and usually just have f1 selected and use that to set the temperature where I want.

This vape does pretty much everything I want/need although it can be a bit awkward to get there I feel like it's worth it.

Okay well now it's nearly Christmas here - I'm stocked up and ready for a few nice sessions and some good food.

Merry Christmas + Happy holidays everyone. Good luck for 2019

wrangler

Disclaimer: My wife works for Ghost Vapes. Take that into consideration when reading my posts in this thread. I will attempt to present factual, impartial information on Ghost products, but won't blame you one bit if you think I am biased towards this company.

Three clicks will toggle it between sleep mode and ready mode. In sleep mode, none of the buttons respond, but the bluetooth is still on (this is being addressed). If you want to turn the bluetooth off, for now you need to physically disconnect the battery.

Thank you! I was thinking that was the case.

wrangler,
Top Bottom