Fuck the Parkinson's, the Dr just gave me a reason to smoke MORE!

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
@Vicki - after that surgery your gonna feel great. Here's some big green to cheer ya up...

1f5c3159ae5a3696f4f4a0f40ce6ea1b-d5grq9z.gif

I knew he would bring a smile to your face... :tup:

Definitely. :)

And btw, in case anyone isn't familiar - that's Paka! :razz:

I knew it! :p

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
I guess I've been lucky. I only let one doctor prescribe me anything and she's willing to go along with that.
I wonder wtf is wrong with 'em sometimes when they ask you what meds your already on then pay no fucking attention to if the drugs they like will interfere with your other health concerns or meds.

Shrinks really suck at looking at the big picture in my experience, and I would never trust another one with prescribing meds.
My shrinks prescribed antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds like candy for years. Fucked me up more ways to Sunday (ex., hormones, poor pecker performance, kidneys, etc.). Quit cold turkey last year, reunited with herb via vaping (shoud've used herb instead and tossed all the meds). My hormones register all over the place from one blood test to the next, so my endocrinologist, urologist, and general practitioner fear making any recommendation at all. Might as well be living in the 15th century.
Frustrated as hell!!!:bang:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
@t-dub, that is one sweet photo. I think that little guy came to you at just the right time for a reason. He looks pretty at home and comfy. :lol:
Oh you aren't kidding he is comfy, made himself right at home the little cutie patootie . . . :)
As soon as I hung up the phone, I threw up. Now I am really getting scared because I know it's close. Am I the only one that fears surgery so much?
It gets easier the more you do it Vicki. The part I hate is sliding from the gurney onto the stainless steel operating table, its always cold, and getting settled in for anesthesia. My palms and feet sweat and I get real nervous and chatty. Its natural. But the new drugs are so much better and safer. Fentanyl is awesome, I remember surgery with sodium pentothal . . . :puke:

Edit: Some, if not all, of your hardware might be Ti . . . :)

Edit: When I started taking a second set of pills to manage the side effects from the first set of pills I decided to start reducing the # of pills in my life and cannabis does that for me. It replaces a blood pressure pill, nausea and antacid pills, pain pills (opiates) are gone except for special occasions and I've dumped all neuro stuff except Cymbalta and gabapentin at this point.

Last edited:

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
@Snappo

I'm so sorry about what you've gone through. I myself commend your courage to kick the meds and go au natural...

I'm beginning to wonder if all the new diseases, even Parkinson's, weren't around before because we created them. Our founding fathers built this country before there was such thing as depression. Back in the day before ADD, you know - when kids got spanked!

Things are much better now, awe my kids aren't doing well in school so I need to get them diagnosed...

Fuck that! Not everything old school is fucking bad, look @momofthegoons - her kids are fully grown and she still kicks they're asses.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Things are much better now, awe my kids aren't doing well in school so I need to get them diagnosed...

Yes, I would like to know why we are giving kids methylated amphetamines which are indistinguishable from cocaine if snorted. They get the kids hooked on this stuff like Ritalin etc and then take it away when they turn 18. No wonder there are meth labs all over . . . and yes meth has a prescription name . . .

featured_adhd_symptoms.jpg

http://www.rxlist.com/desoxyn-drug.htm
Desoxyn®(methamphetamine hydrochloride) Tablets, USP

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
@mvapes, I know that things are radically different now, but I was diagnosed with adhd back in the late 1960s by my pediatrician. it wasn't an actual "thing" yet but he still wanted to try ritalin on me. I have to say looking back at my report card comments grades from 1-3, I was a textbook case. Bright, can't focus, yada yada but remarkably consistent. I went untreated, my mother's dysfunctional solution was to change doctors and schools and pretend my diagnosis never happened. I survived to adulthood but always have had challenges in this area.

I can say first hand that if the condition is indeed adhd, that corporal punishment is the exact wrong solution. That is what my new school believed in rather than writing comments on my report card. The confusing thing for me was that I was now physically punished for the same kind of behavior that I used to be rewarded for, because the two schools had radically different viewpoints on what constituted class participation. What the kids need more than drugs are coping skills. Micheal Phelps is adhd, and was able to use the condition to his advantage because he acknowledged it and dealt with it. One of the benefits of adhd is the ability to "hyper-focus", which can certainly help an elite athlete.

Looking back with some knowledge of the condition, I can say that the amphetamines might have helped when I was young, which seems counter-intuitive until you understand the mechanism. I tried them as an adult and while they succeeded in amplifying my orthopedic issues, they did not help with academic focus. More like a video-game type of focus. But interestingly, and this is why I think it may have helped me back then, I didn't have any issues sleeping at night. In fact, the (time-released) speed actually seemed to help me sleep better at the end of the day, and I am a lifelong insomniac. Anyways from what I can tell they would have helped me back then but now not so much. Maybe I should try a lower dose sometime.

I can also see how the condition is now over-diagnosed to epidemic proportions these days; there needs to be more going on than bad grades! When I had my diagnosis my grades were pretty good, it was when I changed schools and my condition was wept under the rug that my grades really suffered. It's even tougher now, because these type of drugs are over-prescribed and certainly abused, but back in 1969 not so much. And I'm sure that kids that really need help are still slipping through the cracks, and that's a real shame.

What I really would have liked even more than the drugs would have been to simply have my condition acknowledged, perhaps if I had known what I was dealing with I could have developed some actual coping skills rather than sweeping the condition under the fucking rug for over three decades. Thanks mom!

Last edited:

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
It gets easier the more you do it Vicki. The part I hate is sliding from the gurney onto the stainless steel operating table, its always cold, and getting settled in for anesthesia. My palms and feet sweat and I get real nervous and chatty. Its natural. But the new drugs are so much better and safer. Fentanyl is awesome, I remember surgery with sodium pentothal . . . :puke:

I am really, really nervous. I can't believe I threw up after I got my appointment. Maybe it's because I cut back on my ginger. I'm gonna start taking a little more today.

I remember when they put me out for surgery when I was a kid. I remember the taste of garlic in the back of my throat before I fell asleep, and they warned me that would happen. Was that the sodium pentothal? @t-dub

Edit: Some, if not all, of your hardware might be Ti . . . :)

I hope they show me the hardware at the pre-op appointment on March 4th. If they do, I'll take a picture.

Edit: When I started taking a second set of pills to manage the side effects from the first set of pills I decided to start reducing the # of pills in my life and cannabis does that for me. It replaces a blood pressure pill, nausea and antacid pills, pain pills (opiates) are gone except for special occasions and I've dumped all neuro stuff except Cymbalta and gabapentin at this point.

I have been able to replace a lot of my pills with cannabis, but not the blood pressure pill. If I stop taking my Lisinopril, my BP shoots through the roof, and we have no idea why. I tried to stop taking it, and monitored my BP very closely. It crept back up to dangerous levels in less than a day. :uhoh:

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
@Vicki it's only natural to be afraid of surgery. it's a big deal. But they have come so far in anesthesia. The fact that you are out patient speaks to the amount they will give you. And you wont have the problem of them over dosing you with IV drugs afterwards. They will send you on your way with some oral meds and you will be out of the hospital environment (which imo is scarier than the operation itself).

As to prescription drugs being prescribed to our children and the multitude of neurological "diseases" that have surfaced, I think that what we eat and our environment have exacerbated a lot of the disorders that weren't heard of as much in the past. We add so much shit to our food now... and it isn't until later that we discover it's unsafe. Look at saccharine. Add to that how much sugar and processed food we eat now and it is a recipe for disaster. Then add in the multitude of drugs that they seem to feel treat all our "ills," some of which are from the sugar and processed foods..... you get the picture. :disgust:

@mvapes I can't believe you have to go through this roller coaster ride again. The thing that also surprises me is that your pharmacist didn't catch the discrepancy in your drugs. Why didn't they catch the interaction that could happen with the mix?

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
@mvapes, I know that things are radically different now, but I was diagnosed with adhd back in the late 1960s by my pediatrician. it wasn't an actual "thing" yet but he still wanted to try ritalin on me. I have to say looking back at my report card comments grades from 1-3, I was a textbook case. Bright, can't focus, yada yada but remarkably consistent. I went untreated, my mother's dysfunctional solution was to change doctors and schools and pretend my diagnosis never happened. I survived to adulthood but always have had challenges in this area.

I can say first hand that if the condition is indeed adhd, that corporal punishment is the exact wrong solution. That is what my new school believed in rather than writing comments on my report card. The confusing thing for me was that I was now physically punished for the same kind of behavior that I used to be rewarded for, because the two schools had radically different viewpoints on what constituted class participation. What the kids need more than drugs are coping skills. Micheal Phelps is adhd, and was able to use the condition to his advantage because he acknowledged it and dealt with it. One of the benefits of adhd is the ability to "hyper-focus", which can certainly help an elite athlete.

Looking back with some knowledge of the condition, I can say that the amphetamines might have helped when I was young, which seems counter-intuitive until you understand the mechanism. I tried them as an adult and while they succeeded in amplifying my orthopedic issues, they did not help with academic focus. More like a video-game type of focus. But interestingly, and this is why I think it may have helped me back then, I didn't have any issues sleeping at night. In fact, the (time-released) speed actually seemed to help me sleep better at the end of the day, and I am a lifelong insomniac. Anyways from what I can tell they would have helped me back then but now not so much. Maybe I should try a lower dose sometime.

I can also see how the condition is now over-diagnosed to epidemic proportions these days; there needs to be more going on than bad grades! When I had my diagnosis my grades were pretty good, it was when I changed schools and my condition was wept under the rug that my grades really suffered. It's even tougher now, because these type of drugs are over-prescribed and certainly abused, but back in 1969 not so much. And I'm sure that kids that really need help are still slipping through the cracks, and that's a real shame.

What I really would have liked even more than the drugs would have been to simply have my condition acknowledged, perhaps if I had known what I was dealing with I could have developed some actual coping skills rather than sweeping the condition under the fucking rug for over three decades. Thanks mom!

There are definitely scenarios for those, like yourself who truly suffer. But what I was trying to say is that it seems like illnesses, especially mental illness are exaggerated and medicine seems to always be an answer. I can honestly say that the natural approach I've taken on with a mixture of dieting, exercising, and working on my inner well being has helped my condition greatly.

Most of my issues and off days are at the fault of medicine or the doctors themselves.

I feel terrible today, the conflicting medicine given to me accidentally by my shrink really put a hurting on me. I guess it's going to take a few days to clear my head.

Now on another hand, I have adhd as well. It never affected me until my 20's. I honestly believed it was a gate way drug for me and I became massively addicted to cocaine. I spent two times in rehab before realizing it was killing me. The first thing the doctors said in the facility is we have to get you back on your adderall.

My response, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND! These days, I wouldn't touch blow if you put it up to my face.

@grokit - I really appreciate you sharing that. You really opened a new perspective for me.

Last edited:

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Most of my issues and off days are at the fault of medicine or the doctors themselves.

I feel terrible today, the conflicting medicine given to me accidentally by my shrink really put a hurting on me. I guess it's going to take a few days to clear my head.

I hate that, I really do. please let us know if we can help. Hang in there, and question everything they want to prescribe to you. I always do, and my Rheumatologist isn't fond of me because of it, but my GP says I should always question things.

Enchantre

Oil Painter

My own born son has ADHD, however, even back then (1980s) I did not buy into the whole pharmacology solution to everything. my solution was to homeschool, and let the kid RUN as much as he needed to. Lessons tended to be short, at least until he got past about 9 or 10 yrs old, then he was much more able to focus.
We did use a bit of caffeine to assist at times. Works much like the "big guns", but isn't nearly so intense.
He did fine until he found drugs/girls/whatever at about 17 yrs old (go figure), and decided to pattern himself after his father (that's just a whole nuther story we won't go into, here). He even did a stint in the Army Natl Guard, successfully. Self dosing on coffee whenever needed.
I like to think I helped him have a much more normal childhood/education, at least I do know he can read, write, do math, and understands grammar.

There is an entire community out there, who do not believe in medicating kids for being kids. Kids just naturally need to run, explore, question, wiggle, and impact their world. It is how they learn. Getting close to 10 or 11, yeah, then maybe they should develop some ability to sit, and listen, and do on command, but really, they are just kids.

Early childhood "learning" as a treatment for bad parenting... not a great idea, but understandable.
Early childhood "learning" as a replacement for good parenting - very bad idea.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Just like Adderall was an intro drug for me into much much worse things, it did the same for my brother. We all know where my brother is today.

Those of you that may not, he died in 2012 due to complications from cocaine. Maybe, just maybe if he hadn't tried adderall I may still be looking forward to his 25th birthday.

VaporsVaporizer

On the Stoop
Orthopedic surgeon's office just called. Surgery day is Friday, March 7th. I have a pre-op appointment March 4th. As soon as I hung up the phone, I threw up. Now I am really getting scared because I know it's close. Am I the only one that fears surgery so much?

I want my wrist fixed, I'm just really scared. BTW, they decided that they will be doing the surgery at a hospital, but still outpatient. It was going to be at a surgical center, but I guess my surgery is going to be too complicated for that place.
As a licensed Surgical tech- be glad you're going to a hospital. Some Surgi centers are really good , but as a Surgtech-i just like having everything there for the just in case stuff;). I'd have any ortho procedure on my self only done in a hospital.

RELAX, just try and not think too much about your surgery, i'm sure you'll be just fine. The ortho crews in hospitals are very competent :tup: and they usually blast great music :lol:

Top Bottom