For people who are too "high/lazy" to search

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuckyourcouch

Got money out the ass no homo but i'm rich
Do NOT come here asking for us to search or look things up for you. We are here to help you with vaporization and will help you as much as we possibly can. BUT if you post saying you know this is a searchable question, expect to NOT get a response. Just a pet peeve of mine. thanks

(if someone could sticky this too so people read it more)

-FYC-

fuckyourcouch,

OO

Technical Skeptical
it's the same on all boards. if they don't read/search, either help them along, or if their laziness is obvious, or they say before the question "i didn't read the thread...." or "i didn't search...." i think it should be infractable.

though this wouldn't be the first board where the search function was near useless, try trying to find specific info using the search function on nasioc.

OO,

lwien

OO said:
though this wouldn't be the first board where the search function was near useless....

The search function has worked fine for me and believe me, I've done a lot of searching here.

lwien,

OO

Technical Skeptical
lwien said:
OO said:
though this wouldn't be the first board where the search function was near useless....

The search function has worked fine for me and believe me, I've done a lot of searching here.
it's cool if it works for you, but i'm just suggesting a possible scenario so people don't jump to judging others like they do on nasioc (try asking a question).

like if i wanted to learn if it is safe to cook with moldy weed, so i search in the cooking area "mold".
instead i'm given pages on molds for candies and other stuff.

the idea is that the search function isn't all powerful, and actually the quality of results depends on any number of factors, so don't just jump to the "ban-wagon".

OO,

Egzoset

Banned
I just tried this search:

"Salvia Bag Balloon"

The board won't provide many pages of results for that...

Egzoset,

crawdad

floatin
fwiw, i tend to follow a less hostile approach and simply will not respond if i feel i shouldn't. a mod post of "search first" and then locking the thread for a few days before tossing would likely help with this.

new people will be arriving daily and it will get repeated, no point being optimistic about it. i liken it to tailgating someone in hopes that they will get out of your way because you have a bumper sticker on your rear bumper that says "get out of my way". its ok to go around.

crawdad,

2clicker

Observer
crawdad said:
i liken it to tailgating someone in hopes that they will get out of your way because you have a bumper sticker on your rear bumper that says "get out of my way". its ok to go around.

i think that would depend on the lane you are in

if you are tailing someone in the "passing" or "fast" lane then it is their responsibility to get out of the way... legally. drivers can be ticketed for not abiding by the "passing" lane laws. the passer should never have to remove themselves from the "passing" lane to get around someone going slower.

if this is happening in any of the other lanes then i agree its best to just go around if needed.

now hopefully i didnt help derail the thread too much.

i will always search first before posting questions about a likely already covered subject. ill search until i get a good amount of choices to read from. and if the provided choices do not supply the info im looking for i then post the question.

i say this because ive used many a search function on many a forum and my success rate is about half id say. so about half the time i find what im looking for and the other half i dont. and ive wasted much time when taking searching too seriously. especially on a forum like this one where the rule following factor is held in such a high regard.

so IMO you gotta at least try to search first. give it some reasonable effort and if you dont get what your after then feel free to post up.

2clicker,

max

Out to lunch
fuckyourcouch said:
Do NOT come here asking for us to search or look things up for you.
Do NOT speak for all members of the forum. Not everyone shares your "pet peeve". ;)

max,

hereatlast

The search function has worked great for me on FC, still not enough people use it IMO.

Beyond searching, the cliche forum rule of lurking is much more important in my view, often it seems members register only to ask a question at the end of a 100 page thread without having read anything else....READ, READ, READ. Lurk. Search. Then ask. That's my :2c:

hereatlast,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I was staying out of this thread because I pretty much agree with max. It is the job of the moderators to tell users what they can and can't do.

I jumped in because I do think the search facility for FluxBB is a bit limited (for example, I'd like to search individual threads sometimes) although most of the time it does the job for me. I wanted to point out that there is a way to specify a more sophisticated search, however. It's called Google.

For example:

OO said:
like if i wanted to learn if it is safe to cook with moldy weed, so i search in the cooking area "mold".
instead i'm given pages on molds for candies and other stuff.

So use this Google search:

mold -candy site:http://www.fuckcombustion.com

A lot of people don't realize how powerful Google can be once you learn a few tricks.

pakalolo,

max

Out to lunch
pakalolo said:
I was staying out of this thread because I pretty much agree with max. It is the job of the moderators to tell users what they can and can't do.
Exactly. While I might share the sentiments, we would never consider such a formal stance on something like this. There are times when I want some info on something I'm not familiar with, and I'll seek out a forum on that topic/product. But there are also times when I'm not prepared to spend many hours searching and reading for my info. When I contemplate asking a question or three about it with my first post, I always cringe a little for fear I'll get jumped on and get a response like 'that's been asked and answered a hundred times newbie'.

What we don't like to see is someone who knows nothing about vapes asking 'what vape should I buy' in Ask FC, and then endlessly quizzing everyone who answers. Hopefully they at least specify some parameters-portable, dual mode, whip only, big hitter, etc. and narrow the choices somewhat. Hopefully then we can steer them to the appropriate vape thread(s) and they'll do some reading, in order to ask better questions if nothing else. But some members enjoy sharing their knowledge (hopefully it's good info) with those who know nothing about vapes, and since we don't want to run people off or make them afraid to post, it often works out well.

max,

fuckyourcouch

max said:
fuckyourcouch said:
Do NOT speak for all members of the forum. Not everyone shares your "pet peeve". ;)

Its absolutely ridiculous that half the pages are filled with useless questions and would be even more ridiculous for you or anyone else to support that. People should learn to atleast READ if they cannot search.

Next time you make a thread, take two seconds to look at the posts around you. The less noob-same question bull crap we have the more NEW information we can have. We come to this community to share ideas, and learn things about vaporization and I think thats just awesome because anyone in the world can learn so many things from here.

fuckyourcouch,

lwien

fuckyourcouch said:
max said:
fuckyourcouch said:

Its absolutely ridiculous that half the pages are filled with useless questions and would be even more ridiculous for you or anyone else to support that. People should learn to atleast READ if they cannot search.

Next time you make a thread, take two seconds to look at the posts around you. The less noob-same question bull crap we have the more NEW information we can have. We come to this community to share ideas, and learn things about vaporization and I think thats just awesome because anyone in the world can learn so many things from here.

Wow. So with registering here less than 10 days ago, you felt compelled to tell members how to act here on a site that you just joined and now you are calling the mods ridiculous?

Next time you make a thread, take two seconds to.................think. :rolleyes:

lwien,

caseball2051

The people that are too lazy to search are one of the reasons that MJ is still illegal. You are just furthering a stereotype. It is not good for anyone.

When I first arrived here I was unsure how to search effectively on here. I then figured it out, and havent had an issue since.

caseball2051,

hereatlast

I know not everyone has firefox but there IS an option to search a thread individually if you do.

From the Note-Worthy Post thread:
How to search an entire thread at once (Post #2947)
smartfast writes,
if you want to search this thread (or any thread) for all occurrences of a term .. do this:
1) Use the Firefox Browser
2) Download the "repagination" add-on for firefox from here (the link is "my hack")
3) log into Fuckcombustion, go to the first page of this thread, right click the page "2" link and choose Re-paginate > All
4) Go grab a beer or make yourself some tea. Come back in 4 minutes and the ENTIRE thread will be loaded into your browser. Simply scroll down to read the whole thing.
5) Bonus and main point of doing this: You can use the browsers find function (ctrl + F) to find all the occurrence of a term in this thread. VERY helpful for doing research
another edit: it makes the waiting faster if you edit your forum preferences and allow the maximum amount of posts per page, 75

hereatlast,

danalee48

Wow. So with registering here less than 10 days ago, you felt compelled to tell members how to act here on a site that you just joined and now you are calling the mods ridiculous?
Next time you make a thread, take two seconds to.................think.

Cheers to that! :peace:

danalee48,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
fuckyourcouch said:
max said:
fuckyourcouch said:

Um. Dude, see that little red star next to max? Do you think it might meant something? Like, oh, I don't know, maybe max is a moderator?

PS: Never a good idea to step on Superman's cape.

pakalolo,

fuckyourcouch

lwien said:
fuckyourcouch said:
max said:

Next time you make a thread, take two seconds to.................think. :rolleyes:

Yes I did join recently. In fact this website convinced me to get a magic flight box. And yes it really annoyings me when reading through this site which i do daily :).

And why all the hostility i'm trying to help make this awesome community BETTER. All i'm doing is expressing my opinion. Moderator or just "regular poster" doesn't matter to me I don't think there should be any elitist system especially on a community where you can share such great knowledge about vaporization.

Please don't kiss up to the 'mod' i didn't attack him in anyway i was just expressing my opinion for HIS forum.

fuckyourcouch,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Could someone please tell me what this thread is about?

I was going to read it, but figured that I would just ask instead. :lol:

This is a pet peeve for me too, but I also like the welcoming, understanding, and flexibile nature of combustion fuckers (asker beware?).

Toke it easy, fuckers! :D

Progress,

Egzoset

Banned
Euh...

It's just a thought that went through my mind all the sudden.

Some posts make me think of hierarchy in social groups: the veterans often have privileges the others don't, etc.

Now, about the veterans, more specifically... Euh... Lets see if i can put it in a way which won't cause an outbreak, euh... This board hosts members who have come to vaporization as a result of their illness, right? So, i wonder. How many members can afford to wait a couple years to gain the status of veteran? Also, how many veterans were lost... aHummm! ...have "quit" since the creation of this board? I mean, you get the idea, right?

:/

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Oh, the crunchy part...

Lets see. First of all i was expressing myself in a purely general manner, i don't intend to address my remark at someone in particular. The thought simply results from an overall impression, i didn't try to take note of the members who participate.

Anyway, i could have wrote:

Also, how many veterans didn't manage to become veterans due to a "lack of time"?...

Egzoset,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
What about people who were members, but lost arms and can't type anymore??? :shrug:

Progress,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom