For bigger groups of people and are as or more efficient than MF?

lwien

hunterthompson said:
Well when I say bigger groups I mean 4-5 people; I wouldn't trust more people with an expensive vape especially one that had ANY glass parts like the DBV and I think the SSV. So could one MZ or PD handle 4-5 people? Also, I heard that the unit doesn't heat up enough to combustion temps so it's virtually impossible to combust in either model. Is this true? If so I would feel much more comfortable letting people use it knowing that it will not break and will not combust as compared to a whip vape where both of these are very possible.

An I generally don't like the idea of bag vapes; they have very low stealth, give worse/airy hits, and have much lower efficiency than log vape.

See my post above regarding using log vapes in party situations. In my opinion, there is just as much concern with tweaking that power cord connection in a log vape being passed around as there is in the user errors with whip vapes.

While I too don't like bags because of the higher air to vapor ratio at any given temp, they still make the best delivery system for parties.

There is no one best vape for all situations so in picking one, it's always a matter of compromise. For parties, bags has more pro's going for them than con's and regarding stealth, how does that factor into the equation when in a party?

lwien,

hunterthompson

YEa stealth isn't essential but it would be an added bonus. And I don't intend on using whatever I get for a party, it would just be for groups of up to 4-5 people. And I think I remember reading about people wrapping tape around that area of the power cord to reduce stress. Would this remedy that problem?

hunterthompson,

weedemon

enthusiast
yep, i think that's is true it wont ignite in a log vape.

The only downside to a log vape are these:

- 30 min heatup time. (45 min is better)
- people with heavy tolerance mgiht need to go though a few stems to get the effect they are looking for.

They key to a good toke off a log vape imo is very very slow draw speed. to get some thicker vapor.

weedemon,

lwien

hunterthompson said:
YEa stealth isn't essential but it would be an added bonus. And I don't intend on using whatever I get for a party, it would just be for groups of up to 4-5 people. And I think I remember reading about people wrapping tape around that area of the power cord to reduce stress. Would this remedy that problem?

Groups of 4 to 5 people can very well be considered a party situation.

And yes, wrapping electrical tape around the power cord juncture will help, but it will not eliminate the problem.

weedemon said:
The only downside to a log vape are these:

- 30 min heatup time. (45 min is better)

Most people leave their log vapes on 24/7 which totally eliminates ANY heat up time.

lwien,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
Well, if it were me, the bag system would not work since to me that is the least satisfying way to partake (otherwise, I would have left the wdz for the ha permanently a long time ago).

I was going to recommend the Solo to you. It is as, or perhaps even more, efficient than the log vapes (the latter is my impression, in the sense that it extracts more completely than a log vape AND that the amounts required in a bowl need not be any larger than a log-vape bowl -- the only way the log-vape is more efficient, in practice, is in the fact that it's restricted bowl size limits the amount of bud one may fit in the bowl, but the Solo bowl's limit is considerably larger, so it is tempting to load it with more -- but then get a more acute high w/ better extraction). It is definitely more efficient than the MFLB. It will work very well in a group situation since the bowl can be loaded and passed like a smoke pipe.

The only drawbacks are battery time and 12 minute autoshutoff. I get about 7-8 bowls out of a single charge (maybe more if I risk letting the battery levels go lower). If there are 4-5 people in the group, you may very well need 4-5 bowls to go around and so only two sessions per charge for that group size.. but this is a worst case scenario.

If you are indoors, and can plug the Solo in between sessions, I think it would fit your use very well. It is simple, not too many moving parts or exposed hot areas, no bags or whips or excessive heating time. Good taste, excellent vapor and very passable in a group format. :2c:

The log vape will definitely not work in party situations. It's great advantage of bowl size is also its biggest disadvantage. Also, if your group comprises green-blooded stoners who need a hit every 5 minutes, then the Solo won't work either because of battery limitations.

obelisk,

nr-cole

I would say, just from what I've read on here, that a log vape is not going to be suitable for that many people. For starters, even one person using a PD or MZ gets what people claim is a lighter or different high. Five people using the same log would each need their own stem, or you'd be constantly changing the stems. Also, log vapes need time to get back up to vaping temperature after they've been hit a couple times. With five people all trying to get their hits in, as well as not being familiar with the vape, sounds like a PITA to me.

I think you should consider the extreme. I wouldn't describe bag hits as "airy" if you run the fan at a low speed, you can stash the bags/extra parts and just use the whip by yourself. Everything is going to have poor efficiency if you're looking at log vapes and you have a Launch Box, but I don't find the EQ eats through herb that badly. The PD sounds like it'd be a great vape if it's just you, but it isn't made for parties (if three is a crowd, five is a party).

nr-cole,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
nr-cole said:
Also, log vapes need time to get back up to vaping temperature after they've been hit a couple times. With five people all trying to get their hits in, as well as not being familiar with the vape, sounds like a PITA to me.

While I agree that a log vape would not fit this application, your statement above has not been true to my experience. I've sat for whole days hitting my wdz, maybe 5 10 minutes between bowls, morning to evening to morning again and I really never had this issue (to the point that I could perceive it anyway).

But yeah, no way a log vape for a (convenient) group session of 5.

obelisk,

Nycdeisel

Cool! this is its own thread now!

It would be a lot easier to just pass around a log vape, and you would need to keep packing the stems a lot.
and the only log vape with a screen is the Zap, otherwise material could still be blown backward.
You might need to give a log vape a break for a few minutes every 2 stem packs maybe? so it doesnt get too cool to vape.
and YES, It is impossible to combust in a log vape :)

You dont really want a log vape to be tossed around though.

Nycdeisel,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
lwien said:
hunterthompson said:
An I generally don't like the idea of bag vapes; they have very low stealth, give worse/airy hits, and have much lower efficiency than log vape.

While I too don't like bags because of the higher air to vapor ratio at any given temp, they still make the best delivery system for parties.

In my opinion sharing among more than a couple of people is the only use for bags.

I don't understand the comments regarding a higher air/vapour ratio. Am I the only one who forces the air out of the bag before filling it?

ETA...

Don't get the impression that I use bags much, I don't. I dislike bags.

pakalolo,

hunterthompson

I guess I'm just trying to get people to tell me that a log vape would work because that's what I really want :lol: And if I bought any other kind I feel like I would be buying it purely for other people to use and to me that feels like a waste of money.
In any case, I feel like if I had 4-5 stems I could make it work with 4 (patient) people. Plus, any vape would be an improvement over MF for using with groups.

hunterthompson,

lwien

hunterthompson said:
I guess I'm just trying to get people to tell me that a log vape would work because that's what I really want :lol: And if I bought any other kind I feel like I would be buying it purely for other people to use and to me that feels like a waste of money.

Then why not get a vape that does both bags and whips so that you can use the bag for party situations and whips for personal use?

lwien,

mlo4sho

Personally, I can not see how a log vape would be a good suggestion for use with 4-5 people UNLESS these are very light users and only require 1-2 stems to get a desired effect. In my opinion it would take way too long to get 4 or 5 users medicated using 1 log vape simply due to the design of the vapes. They're meant to be efficient and the size and design of the bowl compliments this. I feel that if I were to vape with a small group of others (4-5 people) I would want a vape that has a bigger bowl and would allow for larger hits. Multiple users taking back-to-back hits from one log vape would cause the unit to cool down and thus add to the amount of time needed between hits. It's just not a good suggestion for use with 4-5 people, IMO of course. I know if I were to use my PD with even 2 of my friends in one session it would take a very long time to get us where we wanted to be. :2c:

mlo4sho,

weedemon

enthusiast
mlo4sho said:
Personally, I can not see how a log vape would be a good suggestion for use with 4-5 people UNLESS these are very light users and only require 1-2 stems to get a desired effect. In my opinion it would take way too long to get 4 or 5 users medicated using 1 log vape simply due to the design of the vapes. They're meant to be efficient and the size and design of the bowl compliments this. I feel that if I were to vape with a small group of others (4-5 people) I would want a vape that has a bigger bowl and would allow for larger hits. Multiple users taking back-to-back hits from one log vape would cause the unit to cool down and thus add to the amount of time needed between hits. It's just not a good suggestion for use with 4-5 people, IMO of course. I know if I were to use my PD with even 2 of my friends in one session it would take a very long time to get us where we wanted to be. :2c:

the man speaks the truth! :ko:

weedemon,

crawdad

floatin
ya, ive used my glass vg with 4 others before so a small setup CAN work, i mean anything is doable but in terms of what usually works out the best in a group setting its the bags for all the reasons mentioned. when im in a group of what i would call "seasoned vaporists" with plenty of experience with different setups, it wont matter...they know what to do. but a group of smokers or just light tokers...ya, bags. it saves the headache and worry you might deal with, call it damage control i guess.

only time ive noticed an air/vapor ratio issue with bags is when the herb is about done, but thats normal. otherwise it ought to hit very nicely or something is up.

crawdad,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
While I don't possess bag vapes I do have a bit of a collection of various other vapes (mostly purchased used) that I've picked up over the last few years that I'll pull out of storage for use if there's a bigger group of people hanging out. If you can do this, I think it's the only way to go. Aside from bags which I can't comment on, I think passing around any one vaporizer beyond three people becomes cumbersome because of the AC plug and worse if it's a whip vape (like a box vape with the back end propped up on a book) not to mention the wait time between hits, but it's really nice when small clusters of friends have their own dedicated vape at different ends of the coffee table etc.

jeffp,

Vitolo

Vaporist
This is a fact, and a good reminder.
When answering, I am always fast to recommend a particular vape as an answer...... when I do have guests, I have a number of vapes out and available.. and the only waiting is if someone wants a particular vape!

Vitolo,
Top Bottom