Pen Focus Vaporizer

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
are D4 from ebay (china & hong kong) all fake?
Probably? I don't really know. Check the Nitecore website. They show you an easy way to know if the unit is real.

One of the reasons I don't use an extra battery is laziness....whenever I replace the battery all my settings go to default again......When I said lazy I wasn't kidding :)

I hear ya. Sometimes those extra button pushes leave me too exhausted to overcome the draw resistance on the vape. I end up just staring at my herb and praying for a contact high.:rofl:

Last edited:

djurodjakovic

The smell didn't go away. it's still there and it's really bad :-(.

I'm so pissed at myself now for taking this chance and not going air or davinci route and be done with it.

If I'm not mistaken the smell is inside that leathery/rubbery cover. the other versions of focus, not leathery, they are smooth right? so the smell might not go inside the materil? I never find those versions around, only "leathery".
any sugestion what to try before I start up the painful (and probably expensive) return of the unit?

I'll give it 2 more days on air and i'll try a couple of max temp burn-offs.

regards

edit: support from focus advised to put unit on the sun for a few days to try to vent this smell from the silicone material. I'll remove the battery and turn the unit from the sun where the display is so I don't damage something.

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Mine was smelling pretty bad first, now it taste very good.

I made some burnoffs until I can't see anymore fumes/offgassing under a light with an opened bowl. A quick iso cleaning with a whip or a coton ball and I loaded it with abv and give it a run at 220°C through a waterpipe without taking vapor in my lungs. After that I started to use it....although it took some sessions to clear the rubber smell. It was worst with the T-Vape and smell was only coming from the rubber mp, here the smell is coming from the fake-leather texture made from rubber. The Focus previous version I got don't get this finish but only a thin rubber skin and smell was less present but was here also.

Actually i enjoy a lot the Focus line of vaporizers, they offer some very tasty hits or/and some thick clouds!

moondog

I'm so pissed at myself now for taking this chance and not going air or davinci route and be done with it.

If I'm not mistaken the smell is inside that leathery/rubbery cover. the other versions of focus, not leathery, they are smooth right? so the smell might not go inside the materil? I never find those versions around, only "leathery".
any sugestion what to try before I start up the painful (and probably expensive) return of the unit?

I'll give it 2 more days on air and i'll try a couple of max temp burn-offs.

regards

edit: support from focus advised to put unit on the sun for a few days to try to vent this smell from the silicone material. I'll remove the battery and turn the unit from the sun where the display is so I don't damage something.
I was also going to suggest the sun. It took several weeks, but a regimen of days in the sun and nights in a plastic bag with one of these: http://www.mosonatural.com/ has removed pretty much ALL the smell from the black foam that came with one of my smelly units.

Good luck.

EDIT TO ADD: PPN, after my experience I feel that the smell does not come from the coating itself but from the coating having absorbed outgassing from the black foam in the box. My last unit came packed in a hard plastic tray rather than the foam and had no smell.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Sorry to hear you may have a smelly Focus....

Directly below is a @moondog post where he used Focus support and got a clean smelling unit along with some freebies for his trouble. If the 'sun' solution doesn't meet your expectations I'd follow @moondog lead and try to get them to send you a new one or ask for a refund if you're that unhappy.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/focus-vaporizer.20357/page-19#post-1013881

His_Highness,

djurodjakovic

problem is there is no sun currently :-(.
what do you think about putting the unit in the bag and putting inside a hand of carbon. the one you can get at pet stores if I'm not mistaken.
I don't know where around here I can get those bags for this purpose so this is just an idea.

I really hope I'll get rid of this smell cos I like the unit alot. Look really great.

His_Highness

problem is there is no sun currently :-(.
what do you think about putting the unit in the bag and putting inside a hand of carbon. the one you can get at pet stores if I'm not mistaken.
I don't know where around here I can get those bags for this purpose so this is just an idea.

Not sure carbon or the sun would work. I'd try the sun correction if/when the sun is available but I wouldn't spend any more money or time on the cure afterwards. It looks like Focus support will do right by you based on @moondog history so I'd give their sun solution a try and if it doesn't work I'd contact support.

His_Highness,

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Sounds like the good folks at Focus need to add a smell test to quality control!

nose.jpg

djurodjakovic

I'll let you know in a couple of days. I just don't want to be put in the situation that I have to pay for shipping this package back cos that's really expensive from my place and also I forced myself to buy pro-premium version which was already alot out of my budget so now spending more on top of that is a pain :-(.

There is another option maybe for getting this odour out but I don't have this contraption, but was planing building it for some other purposes. Ozon generator (not the UV one). I don't know if anyone here is familiar with it but that's the ultimate tool for getting smells out and sterilizing, at least the comercial/big ones are, not sure about small ebay stuff.
You can get small/cheap plates for this purpose on ebay (from china) but I never tested. maybe for this purpose It would work...

moondog

Sounds like the good folks at Focus need to add a smell test to quality control!

nose.jpg
My feeling is that they did address this issue (with the new plastic "vape holder shelf" in their box) but there are still boxes with the old foam out in the wild. Which you get boils down to timing, luck, and which stock your particular vendor has on hand. I have no evidence of this one way or another, but I do remember that someone else on this thread said they got theirs with the new plastic insert, so I don't think it's just a matter of mine having come from the factory.

In any case, I agree with His Highness. If the unit does not meet your satisfaction and the vendor can't help you, contact iFocus. Lina and the iFocus crew are committed to helping.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I just skimmed most all of this thread and didn't see many comments about cleaning.
How is the maintanence/cleaning of the Focus Pro? Any comparables in this dept.? (I'm familiar with Mighty, Pax and P2, Grasshopper...).
So, while I'm at it, any comparisons of vapor quality/production/etc. to these I'm mentioning? It sounds like it may be closest to approaching the results of Pax 2?
Efficiency?
My questions are part of my research to find a nice, portable 'first vape' for a friend. I already have the others above, but friend does not want to spend too much $$$ on first one. I do believe VAS will kick in not too long after, but...

moondog

I just skimmed most all of this thread and didn't see many comments about cleaning.
How is the maintanence/cleaning of the Focus Pro? Any comparables in this dept.? (I'm familiar with Mighty, Pax and P2, Grasshopper...).
So, while I'm at it, any comparisons of vapor quality/production/etc. to these I'm mentioning? It sounds like it may be closest to approaching the results of Pax 2?
Efficiency?
My questions are part of my research to find a nice, portable 'first vape' for a friend. I already have the others above, but friend does not want to spend too much $$$ on first one. I do believe VAS will kick in not too long after, but...
I promised a review on this thing but I'll try to give some quick answers your specific questions.

I have been using my Pro exclusively with the dry herb pods almost everyday since I got it (a few weeks) and the chamber is still spotless. The pods themselves are easily cleaned with an iso soak. I would STRONGLY recommend getting a set pods with the Pro. They make reloading on the go a total breeze.

Possible downsides to the pods?:
Less material can be used at a time. (Not a problem for me when I'm by myself.)
Might need to run higher temps.

Without the pods, chamber cleaning would be easy with an iso-soaked swab (holding unit upside down to prevent drippage into the heater) as long as you don't let it go too long between cleanings. I haven't used any of the vapes in your "comparables" list, but I'd say this is similar to the Pinnacle Pro. (I got mine to replace a Pinnacle Pro.)

I am not getting massive clouds with this thing at all, but I'm not trying to and I certainly still feel the effects. I'm not really a cloud chaser and I tend not to run at high temps. I have been experimenting lately though with temp stepping from 360-370F up to 420 in 10 degree increments and clouds do get more substantial as it climbs.

Taste is not great like it would be with a convection vape, but if your friend combusts, what they get out of the Pro will be very familiar (esp at higher temps).

Efficiency seems pretty good. Those pods hold a pretty small amount (haven't weighed anything out yet; sorry) and it's all I need for a solo session (5-7 hits?).

Short answer, I think the Pro would make an excellent first vape. Not too much $$, very easy and intuitive to use and maintain, great customer service from both PIU (vendor) and iFocus (manufacturer).

Check out the iFocus site for advance info on 2 new vapes that will hopefully drop soon: The Adventurer (convection) and the Traveler. I am most interested in the former, myself.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I promised a review on this thing but I'll try to give some quick answers your specific questions.

I have been using my Pro exclusively with the dry herb pods almost everyday since I got it (a few weeks) and the chamber is still spotless. The pods themselves are easily cleaned with an iso soak. I would STRONGLY recommend getting a set pods with the Pro. They make reloading on the go a total breeze.

Possible downsides to the pods?:
Less material can be used at a time. (Not a problem for me when I'm by myself.)
Might need to run higher temps.

Without the pods, chamber cleaning would be easy with an iso-soaked swab (holding unit upside down to prevent drippage into the heater) as long as you don't let it go too long between cleanings. I haven't used any of the vapes in your "comparables" list, but I'd say this is similar to the Pinnacle Pro. (I got mine to replace a Pinnacle Pro.)

I am not getting massive clouds with this thing at all, but I'm not trying to and I certainly still feel the effects. I'm not really a cloud chaser and I tend not to run at high temps. I have been experimenting lately though with temp stepping from 360-370F up to 420 in 10 degree increments and clouds do get more substantial as it climbs.

Taste is not great like it would be with a convection vape, but if your friend combusts, what they get out of the Pro will be very familiar (esp at higher temps).

Efficiency seems pretty good. Those pods hold a pretty small amount (haven't weighed anything out yet; sorry) and it's all I need for a solo session (5-7 hits?).

Short answer, I think the Pro would make an excellent first vape. Not too much $$, very easy and intuitive to use and maintain, great customer service from both PIU (vendor) and iFocus (manufacturer).

Check out the iFocus site for advance info on 2 new vapes that will hopefully drop soon: The Adventurer (convection) and the Traveler. I am most interested in the former, myself.
Thanks, lots of good information here!
If grasshoppers hadn't recently infested my house, I'd be VAS'n (can that be a verb?) myself!

moondog

Thanks, lots of good information here!
If grasshoppers hadn't recently infested my house, I'd be VAS'n (can that be a verb?) myself!
Yes, but as we know from the gh thread, a good reliable portable backup for your hoppers is indispensable. ;)

If the Adventurer turns out to be as well-executed as the Pro, I too will be VAS'n.

His_Highness

Efficiency?

Sorry...don't have any of the vapes you're looking for a comparison against.

@moondog did a great job on the cleaning info. I will say that for some reason I don't quite understand the Focus has remained cleaner than the Xmax with the same oven configuration and the Focus has been used way more. So yeah....you will have to go at it with the ISO (remember to only moisten not drench) every now and then but not very often as compared to the Xmax.

I did a couple in-depth reviews for the original and pro versions a few pages back. PIU has them on sale for $90 for the original Focus and $99 for the Pro and they throw in a nice 4 piece grinder.

moondog

Sorry...don't have any of the vapes you're looking for a comparison against.

@moondog did a great job on the cleaning info. I will say that for some reason I don't quite understand the Focus has remained cleaner than the Xmax with the same oven configuration and the Focus has been used way more. So yeah....you will have to go at it with the ISO (remember to only moisten not drench) every now and then but not very often as compared to the Xmax.

I did a couple in-depth reviews for the original and pro versions a few pages back. PIU has them on sale for $90 for the original Focus and $99 for the Pro and they throw in a nice 4 piece grinder.

Thanks for the nod, Highness.

At $99, the Focus Pro is an absolute no-brainer. Once you're holding it in your hand you will see that you are getting WAY more than $99 worth of vape for that money. If you are on the fence, now is the time to pull that trigger. Holy crow what a great price!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
About the pods....I never used the Focus pods but tried the Flowermates pods for flowers and was not amazed.... taste was muted (maybe cause the smaller load) and clouds was thins even at high t° if I compare to a "packed directly in the bowl" session. Although the Focus pods looks more like a sort of mini-elb and maybe are working better....

After hundreds sessions it's normal the ceramic doen't stay white, personnally I don't mind about that since it doesn't affect the taste at all. I even use some hash or oil soaked in flowers or lightly vaped abv, this is produces marks on the bowl and I'm not obsessive about to clean it perfectly back to white.

djurodjakovic

update on the bad smell issue.
gone completely :-).
The advice from FocusVape support is working, and I have a 100% odor free great device.
So if anyone has that bad smell from the package just leave the unit on air a couple of days and leave it outside on the sun (remove the battery just to be safe). and run a few burn-ins.

also, I can highly recommend red-eye shop. great service and support.

His_Highness

update on the bad smell issue.
gone completely :-).
The advice from FocusVape support is working, and I have a 100% odor free great device.
So if anyone has that bad smell from the package just leave the unit on air a couple of days and leave it outside on the sun (remove the battery just to be safe). and run a few burn-ins.

also, I can highly recommend red-eye shop. great service and support.

Excellent! Happy for ya!

His_Highness,
Reactions: moondog
Is there anyone who has ordered from here: http://focusvape.eu/ I'm from eu, and it looks safe. I have never bought anything from amazon or ebay etc.. I need to buy it in the next few days and I need some info about this site

lady-marmalade129,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I've just ordered the digital version. My solo died and I need a cheaper replacement. $400 for an Air or Solo here in NZ. The focus is half that and if it goes as well as this thread suggests I'm going to be very happy.

Top Bottom