Pen Focus Vaporizer

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I've just ordered the digital version. My solo died and I need a cheaper replacement. $400 for an Air or Solo here in NZ. The focus is half that and if it goes as well as this thread suggests I'm going to be very happy.

I love the Focus and love my Solo as well but for different purposes. When I'm home I reach for my Solo way more than the Focus because the Solo form factor has a glass stem/herb holder and the Air is the same in this area. You may find that the Air was a bit better than the Focus BUT for the prices you're describing.....I'd grab the Focus instead too.

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I loved my solo. It was my daily driver but it no longer works ... think it could be a battery issue ... so I've been using my backup box vape for a while now. Been looking for a replacement portable that won't break the bank so I'm hoping this is it. I will let you know what I think

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
ok excuse the double post albiet 8 hours apart.

My FocusVape arrived today. Man I love that I can now buy these products locally, no import wait and hassles even if I'm paying more for them.

Anyway I unpacked her and checked the battery life ... it blinked green so I figured I could have a session before charging. No burn offs ... I'm really inpatient ... Straight up to the highest temp coz I'm a high temp vapper ... loaded it and hit it! And it was smooth and tasty with no plastic or packing smell. The hits were nice but not overly milky. I'd say it didn't hit as well as my solo but it was just my first go. It feels sturdy and well made. For what I'll use this for it will be perfect

djurodjakovic

hi all.
I have a question about the insert for oils/hash.
It looks and feels like it's made of plastics. it's like a white cartridge with same ceramic insert that is originally inside the mouthpiece assembly? is this correct?
I would never insert something made other than glass, metal or ceramic inside heating chamber so I'm puzzled about this.
your thoughts.

djurodjakovic,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
hi all.
It looks and feels like it's made of plastics. it's like a white cartridge with same ceramic insert that is originally inside the mouthpiece assembly? is this correct?
I would never insert something made other than glass, metal or ceramic inside heating chamber so I'm puzzled about this.
your thoughts.

I only use flowers so I don't know much about this stuff, but both the iFocus site and the PIU site list the wax pod as being ceramic. Maybe the plastic-feeling cartridge part is just the carrier for the cermic insert? Maybe it's only the insert that actually gets used in the vape?

I'm so oblivious about this stuff, I assumed that the outer part is the pod and when they sent the wax/oil pods, they had sent me extra ceramic inserts for the mouthpiece which they placed in the pods for protection during transit. Maybe it's exactly the opposite? :shrug:

One thing I am confident of, if you email iFocus support, you will get a prompt and helpful reply.

moondog

So is it ok to leave it charging via the mini USB overnight? I know it's not good to over charge these batteries but does the internal charging switch off when it's reached capacity?
The display will indicate that the battery is fully charged, but the manual does not say anything about switching off once that state is reached. As I recall, the full battery indicator comes on and stays on when charging is done. I always charge my batteries externally in a Nitecore D4 because I know it will shut off when charging is complete. And because I am Mr. WorryPants, I never charge my batteries unattended (i.e. when I'm out of the house or asleep). I'm always around to check up on them. But that's just me.

Anyway, as I said above: "One thing I am confident of, if you email iFocus support, you will get a prompt and helpful reply." And I mean it when I say that communication with them is nearly as easy as posting the question here.

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Thanks moondog.

This morning after a full charge using the USB the unit wouldn't turn on and the white charge light stayed on even after removing the USB . After fiddling with the screw in base the light went out after I loosened the base a little and the unit started after 4 clicks. I'm not worried and I've had enough vapes to know that electronic things like these can have their own idiosyncrasies. I think this vapes has more than one ;)

Anyway I'm still learning the ins and outs of this vape. It works as designed. I've yet to pull a rip as big as I could with my solo but I'm getting fully medicated from a single bowl so all good.

His_Highness

hi all.
your thoughts.

I had asked Focus support about the white puck/filter in the mouthpiece and confirmed it is ceramic and can be cleaned with ISO.

According to PIU the Wax Pod is also made of ceramics. http://www.puffitup.com/Focus-Ceramic-Wax-Pod-p/fcv.112-wax_cart.htm

So is it ok to leave it charging via the mini USB overnight? I know it's not good to over charge these batteries but does the internal charging switch off when it's reached capacity?

I have left both the Focus and Focus Pro charging unattended overnight and they have both shut off the charging process once the battery was fully charged. I have left the Focus Pro overnight like that so often I can't count the number of times. I also have a external Nitecore charger I use often because I think the Nitecore is more efficient and better for the battery but that's conjecture on my part. The Focus Pro has a pass-through function so you can use the device when plugged in. I haven't tested the pass-through function because it can weaken the battery by turning the charge process on and off a bunch while the unit is being used.

Suggestion for optimal vaporization: The Focus reaches oven temp so quickly that it hasn't sufficiently heat soaked/conducted-heat to the herb sufficiently like the Solo did. The Solo takes double the time to reach oven temp and its conducting heat to the herb that entire time. I usually let the Solo alone, even after it reached level 7, for 15 additional seconds to guarantee a good heat soak/cloud on the first hit. Try giving the Focus an additional 30 seconds after it reached temp before hitting it and see if the clouds appear more to your liking.

I also noticed that the Focus oven temp, even at the higher temps, is easier to over-run and get cooler than the Solo. I noticed that the Focus would hit hard at the beginning of the hit and lower toward the end. Again...my guess is the oven is easier to over-run/cool slightly. You can compensate for that by closing off some of the airflow with the slider. I actually like the fact that it hits harder at the beginning than the end because it drives the majority of the hit deeper into the lungs and trails off causing less waste toward the end.

All of the above is my personal opinion and your mileage may vary.

moondog

I've yet to pull a rip as big as I could with my solo but I'm getting fully medicated from a single bowl so all good.

I have had a similar experience. Clouds are never as big as with my Vapor Brothers tabletop, but that's to be expected and, like you, the end result is very much to my liking.

I had asked Focus support about the white puck/filter in the mouthpiece and confirmed it is ceramic and can be cleaned with ISO.

According to PIU the Wax Pod is also made of ceramics. http://www.puffitup.com/Focus-Ceramic-Wax-Pod-p/fcv.112-wax_cart.htm

I have left both the Focus and Focus Pro charging unattended overnight and they have both shut off the charging process once the battery was fully charged. I have left the Focus Pro overnight like that so often I can't count the number of times. I also have a external Nitecore charger I use often because I think the Nitecore is more efficient and better for the battery but that's conjecture on my part. The Focus Pro has a pass-through function so you can use the device when plugged in. I haven't tested the pass-through function because it can weaken the battery by turning the charge process on and off a bunch while the unit is being used.

Suggestion for optimal vaporization: The Focus reaches oven temp so quickly that it hasn't sufficiently heat soaked/conducted-heat to the herb sufficiently like the Solo did. The Solo takes double the time to reach oven temp and its conducting heat to the herb that entire time. I usually let the Solo alone, even after it reached level 7, for 15 additional seconds to guarantee a good heat soak/cloud on the first hit. Try giving the Focus an additional 30 seconds after it reached temp before hitting it and see if the clouds appear more to your liking.

I also noticed that the Focus oven temp, even at the higher temps, is easier to over-run and get cooler than the Solo. I noticed that the Focus would hit hard at the beginning of the hit and lower toward the end. Again...my guess is the oven is easier to over-run/cool slightly. You can compensate for that by closing off some of the airflow with the slider. I actually like the fact that it hits harder at the beginning than the end because it drives the majority of the hit deeper into the lungs and trails off causing less waste toward the end.

All of the above is my personal opinion and your mileage may vary.

As always, great info Highness. I keep meaning to try your heat-soaking hint (especially since I'm always using the dry herb pods). Maybe tonight's the night I finally remember to do so. :) I have yet to try hitting the Focus with anything but all three airholes open - I like that nice open draw. I'll give that a shot as well.

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
That’s what I love about this forum. Such a wealth of information and participation from the members. I was one of the early adopters of this great community when VTAC originally setup the site and although I’m not here much these days, the info is always first class and lacks any major bias.

Thanks His_Highness for replying to my Q regarding charging overnight. I mean, I do it with my smart phone and it’s never caught fire … and it’s a Samsung LOL.

@moondog, I have a Vaporite box vape that hits way harder than the Focus and the Solo. Big Milky hits and I never combust but I’m wondering if the big lung splitting hits lead to a bit of energy drain perhaps through some level of shock to the body due to the amount of ‘medication’ been slammed into the blood steam. I found the high from the Focus to be cleaner and higher, more a head high than a body stone. I’ve yet to have a prolonged session so that would surly lead to a higher level of relaxation. Apart from my recreational use of MJ I also medicate to help with my Chronic insomnia and last night I really struggled to get to sleep because I was buzzing in my head to much … i.e. not enough body stone. Maybe tonight I’ll cap the evening off with a Vaporite whip of ABV. But this is all a positive and it’s just working the focus into my daily routine. The biggest bonus of now having a working portable is no more ash tray tasting pipes before my drive home. It’s back to sweet vapour hits from a portable.

moondog

@moondog, I have a Vaporite box vape that hits way harder than the Focus and the Solo. Big Milky hits and I never combust but I’m wondering if the big lung splitting hits lead to a bit of energy drain perhaps through some level of shock to the body due to the amount of ‘medication’ been slammed into the blood steam. I found the high from the Focus to be cleaner and higher, more a head high than a body stone. I’ve yet to have a prolonged session so that would surly lead to a higher level of relaxation. Apart from my recreational use of MJ I also medicate to help with my Chronic insomnia and last night I really struggled to get to sleep because I was buzzing in my head to much … i.e. not enough body stone. Maybe tonight I’ll cap the evening off with a Vaporite whip of ABV. But this is all a positive and it’s just working the focus into my daily routine. The biggest bonus of now having a working portable is no more ash tray tasting pipes before my drive home. It’s back to sweet vapour hits from a portable.

I agree. I like that the Focus gives me that "lighter" high. Great for when I'm out and about, at concerts, movies, etc. I'm in the same boat as you in terms of medicating for insomnia (among other things). I find the strain I use makes a bigger difference than the device. Whatever works for each of us, it's great to have so many choices.:tup:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I agree. I like that the Focus gives me that "lighter" high. Great for when I'm out and about, at concerts, movies, etc. I'm in the same boat as you in terms of medicating for insomnia (among other things). I find the strain I use makes a bigger difference than the device. Whatever works for each of us, it's great to have so many choices.:tup:
I don't have a Focusvape, though I recommended one to a friend who got a Pro last week, as a first vape. This 'lighter' high you guys are talking about, can the Focusvape get to a more stoned level? I have to think so, as a matter of strain and temp, and of course, amount. I can relate to this discussion as I've recently been using a Grasshopper and found I can get really slammed by it, really quickly. I think it extracts very, very efficiently, even compared to Mighty. Your description of Focusvape sounds a little more like a Pax 2 with less draw restriction, slower extraction and somewhat longer sessions. Does this sound about accurate?

moondog

I don't have a Focusvape, though I recommended one to a friend who got a Pro last week, as a first vape. This 'lighter' high you guys are talking about, can the Focusvape get to a more stoned level? I have to think so, as a matter of strain and temp, and of course, amount. I can relate to this discussion as I've recently been using a Grasshopper and found I can get really slammed by it, really quickly. I think it extracts very, very efficiently, even compared to Mighty. Your description of Focusvape sounds a little more like a Pax 2 with less draw restriction, slower extraction and somewhat longer sessions. Does this sound about accurate?
I've never used a Pax2 (I guess I lead a sheltered life or don't have enough friends or something) but "slower extraction and longer sessions" sounds right. 2 or 3 pulls on my Vapor Bros is all I need to get slammed and I find myself taking 6 or more pulls on the Focus and not ending up as medicated. But again, depending on the circumstances that may be exactly what I want.

His Highness' tips regarding heat soaking and changing the draw may help in this regard. I didn't get to try them last night.

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I think the focus does a great job of extracting the goodness ... the ABV is very consistent ... even more so than my solo IMO.

But because it doesn't produce lung splitting hits the sessions do take more than 3 huffs and walk away. I'm getting 7 - 10 rips from a bowl before it goes to sleep. The full effect takes a little longer to come on ... I'm guessing when you take a huge rip from harder hitting vapes it comes on quicker and it also produces a different high in the beginning probably through some level of shock to the body brought on by an extra milky rip. Once the shock settles down and the high is at its peak there is no difference in effect IMO.

I hope this makes sense. Simply put the Focus will fuck you up if you consume enough.

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I'm really happy with this vape. For the price and considering how it performs it's a little beauty! For me the best thing is the form factor. I can use it pretty much where I want and look like another e-cig user. The hits are consistent if you don't haul on it too much and give it time to recover between hits.

My only criticism is the screw on base. Mines fiddly to screw back on and if I do it up to tight the unit won't turn on. Like I have to keep it only half screwed on or you get nothing after four clicks. A bit of a pain in the arse but not a show stopper.

Vape on

moondog

I'm really happy with this vape. For the price and considering how it performs it's a little beauty! For me the best thing is the form factor. I can use it pretty much where I want and look like another e-cig user.

My sentiments exactly.

My only criticism is the screw on base. Mines fiddly to screw back on and if I do it up to tight the unit won't turn on. Like I have to keep it only half screwed on or you get nothing after four clicks. A bit of a pain in the arse but not a show stopper.

I haven't had any similar problems. Have you checked to see if there's some small debris caught in the threads? I seem to recall finding something in the threads of one of my previous units.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Friend bought a Pro last week (uh, on my recommendation though I don't have one!) and I encouraged getting the bubbler.
Can anyone point to a tutorial on filling/cleaning the bubbler? Nube friend is frustrated (long distance) and flummoxed, will just send it back cause it is so confusing....seems to have gotten some water in but can't get it out. Can't adjust level. Afraid it won't be possible to clean the thing.
Any suggestions?

moondog

Friend bought a Pro last week (uh, on my recommendation though I don't have one!) and I encouraged getting the bubbler.
Can anyone point to a tutorial on filling/cleaning the bubbler? Nube friend is frustrated (long distance) and flummoxed, will just send it back cause it is so confusing....seems to have gotten some water in but can't get it out. Can't adjust level. Afraid it won't be possible to clean the thing.
Any suggestions?
The bubbler, while a very nice piece of glass, is a pain in the ass to fill/empty. One of the reviews I watched online explains how to use it. Don't remember which one.

You're supposed to fill it through the bottom (the end that slips over the Focus itself.) If you overfill it, you blow through the top to force some water out, but it's real easy to eject too much; then you're filling again. So fill very slowly. After filling, I dry out the bottom part so that no water drips into the Focus' chamber.

Completely emptying the thing is impossible. You can eliminate most of the water by blowing through the top, but there will always be some left in there. Leaving the unit in the sun to evaporate the moisture doesn't work, the "non-spill" design keeps the vapor trapped. I found that the only way to completely dry the thing is to leave it overnight next to our dehumidifier. It was completely dry by the morning. Come winter, if I decide to use water in it, I'll dry it out by leaving it next to one of our forced hot air heating vents (we heat with wood - makes for a very dry heat).

Because of this, I don't use the bubbler with water. But I do use it dry to extend the vapor/cooling path, and it works well for that. It also let's me see how much vapor I'm pulling out of the unit with my draw.

BTW, when I store it, I shove a silica gel pack in the open end.

Also, in case your friend hasn't realized, removing the glass mouthpiece before sliding on the bubbler makes for a nice secure connection.

MonkeyTime

Any suggestions?
I can't say I've found much on it, and what I have found said it's finicky, and it can be, but I like it.

Cleaning is easy, I drop it in a mason jar of iso and rinse, but it's always stayed relatively clean.

The filling can be a little tricky until you've done it a few times.

Start with it upside down (mouth side down, vape opening up) and fill with water.

It will start to run straight thru, it's ok, it doesn't need much.

Flip it over and give a slight pull on the mouth end and it stops it from draining out.

If there's still too much water, I pull real hard to suck some into my mouth and spit it out. If there's not enough, I repeat the process.

I fill it to about 2/3 of the way up the stem. If I were home and had it I'd take a pic or make a video.

I can put a more descriptive tutorial together later if this doesn't help him later when I'm not driving, just let me know.

His_Highness

Fantastic responses from @moondog and @MonkeyTime. You could reach out to Ifocus support but as good as they are I doubt they'll have better insight than what Moon/Monk provided.

Love that bubbler for the visual feedback and enforced technique but I find when using it with more than one person that I need to give it a few seconds after the previous person has taken a draw and I need to go high temp.

MonkeyTime

Fantastic responses from @moondog and @MonkeyTime. You could reach out to Ifocus support but as good as they are I doubt they'll have better insight than what Moon/Monk provided.

Love that bubbler for the visual feedback and enforced technique but I find when using it with more than one person that I need to give it a few seconds after the previous person has taken a draw and I need to go high temp.

I find with the Focus I use temps much higher than I do with other vapes. Not sure if it's just the style of vaporizer, where they're measuring or what?

I usually start around 420F and work up from there.

You guys find the same thing?

His_Highness

I find with the Focus I use temps much higher than I do with other vapes. Not sure if it's just the style of vaporizer, where they're measuring or what?

I usually start around 420F and work up from there.

You guys find the same thing?

I change depending on the herb and secondly the grind. Lately I start at around 392F with the original Focus and finish at some point at 428F. With the Focus Pro I start around 400F and increase the temp a little as I go. I let the vapor/herb tell me when I should increase temp and when I'm wasting my time going higher.

If I'm using the bubbler I just go to max temp on the Focus and start at 430F for the Focus Pro. When 430F lightens up I go up in 10 degree increments till it's beat.

Edit: Sorry - didn't answer the actual question. I do find the Focus to be smoother at the same temps that other vapes would be too hot/harsh to use at. Not sure why though.....it can't be the white ceramic mouthpiece puck because I don't use it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom