Firewood Vaporizer

DirtbagDan

Changing the batteries is pretty simple and does not void the warranty. The reason it is not recommended to replace the batteries often is because the screws go into the wood body. The more often you remove these screws the more likely you are to ruin the threads in the wood and end up with a screw that just slides in and out and is not strong enough to hold the battery cover on tightly. I doubt there is enough room, but helicoil's would be a solution if the wall thickness of the wood was just a little thicker at the thinnest points around these screw holes.

Yes, the real weakness of this vape: battery life/swap/charging. Draw restriction is high too. Once my Z is here I may relegate the FW to mobile use only.

Thexv

Hello all,

Firstly let me just say, been a long time lurker and the knowledge I've gained from purely spectating from the shadows has been great. Ya'll are a fantastic bunch.

Been eyeing this thread for a long time, and after jumping on the Cyber Monday deal and waiting anxiously - Firewood finally arrived today. Stuck it on charge, feverishly waited to see that green light.

But.. It won't turn on. Read over the brief little guide at least a dozen times tonight, no matter how long I hold this button I'm getting nothing no buzzes nothing to indicate it's turning on. Cannot lie I feel heartbroken right now wondering if I'm just being stupid but it's only one button :(

Thexv,
Reactions: vapen00b

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Hello all,

Firstly let me just say, been a long time lurker and the knowledge I've gained from purely spectating from the shadows has been great. Ya'll are a fantastic bunch.

Been eyeing this thread for a long time, and after jumping on the Cyber Monday deal and waiting anxiously - Firewood finally arrived today. Stuck it on charge, feverishly waited to see that green light.

But.. It won't turn on. Read over the brief little guide at least a dozen times tonight, no matter how long I hold this button I'm getting nothing no buzzes nothing to indicate it's turning on. Cannot lie I feel heartbroken right now wondering if I'm just being stupid but it's only one button :(

Batts are supposed to be pre-charged for 1-2 sessions...
How long did you charge em initially?

Might be a button switch thing.. Not heard of that yet.
Would think batteries should be working and provide at least enough power to get it on once...

Best of luck. Sorry I can't help with this really. :(

vapen00b,

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I got my two new mouthpieces today and it came in this little maple stand! Anyway, I've been thinking about a longer silicone mouthpiece...and so with my original silicone in hand, I just stretched it on over one of the new mouthpieces right up to the red washer. Wow, I really like it. If I knew how to share an image with yall, I would do it.

Diggy Smalls,
Reactions: friedrich

j-bug

I got my two new mouthpieces today and it came in this little maple stand! Anyway, I've been thinking about a longer silicone mouthpiece...and so with my original silicone in hand, I just stretched it on over one of the new mouthpieces right up to the red washer. Wow, I really like it. If I knew how to share an image with yall, I would do it.
You should be able to upload an image to your preferred image host and then click the little image thing on the post editor to insert the url of the image which will then auto generate an embed link. I'm excited to hear about the little maple stand as I'm planning on ordering a few more mouthpieces so I can have different strains pre-loaded for different purposes and ease of using them on the go, or for use while sharing being able to have different stems for different people.

A thing I've been wondering is if anyone has come up with a way to use concentrates of any sort with the firewood or if general consensus was that was just a bad idea and not likely to work for some reason. I could see the size of the screen holes as an obstacle for concentrate use. I think that the screens have big enough holes that an overly fine grind could cause a problem.

Mr. Me2

I wouldn't describe the vapor as wispy and I tend to notice tastes more than most people. I would so far describe the wooden taste as nearly imperceptible but also as a neutral factor due to how unobtrusive the taste is. I need to do more testing, but as it stands there isn't a portable vape I'd be happier recommending to people who wanted a new portable vape. The vapor is stronger than I thought possible in a portable vape and it is likely that people experiencing wispy vapor with the FW3 just need to adjust the temperature settings and boost the heat on their device a bit.
Which wood few do you have?

And the same question for others that are reporting on flavor with or without a wooden taste. I'm curious if the type of wood affects these 2 things (flavor and wooden taste).

Mr. Me2,
Reactions: btka

Diggy Smalls

Notorious

And the same question for others that are reporting on flavor with or without a wooden taste. I'm curious if the type of wood affects these 2 things (flavor and wooden taste).
It had the slightest wood-like taste when I first used it, but now it tastes and smells like what I've been loading it with. The oils go into the wood and you don't even notice it long. And it's a wood taste, not a plastic taste. It wasn't bad at all. Very mellow and natural.

Thexv

Batts are supposed to be pre-charged for 1-2 sessions...
How long did you charge em initially?

Might be a button switch thing.. Not heard of that yet.
Would think batteries should be working and provide at least enough power to get it on once...

Best of luck. Sorry I can't help with this really. :(

Not to worry mate, came home from Star Wars yesterday feeling inspired and decided to unscrew the battery cover. Moment I did, the vape started vibrating. I figure the battery just wasn't touching the end. Been gold since!

Pumped up the setting 4 notches after seeing the instructions some pages back. Very happy with this thing, my initial anguish has been completely forgotten. Clouds on 4 got me zoning. Gotta say the technique isn't that hard to nail to be honest. Will give it more extensive testing but could very well put my Air on the bench for a bit!

j-bug

I've got the maple fw3.0. I only really get the woody taste on a 4 drawing real slow i originally said I was ambivalent about the wood taste, I would now say that I've come to enjoy it when it's there. If I had to guess I'd bet that the Cherry has less wooden flavor to it because based on talking with a friend who has a smoker for meat and stuff some woods have a flavor they give off when heated and some don't and maple is a commonly chosen wood for culinary purposes because of its taste, I've not really heard of cherry ever being used for that purpose.

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
You can use cherry wood for a smoker no problem. Some folks even rave about it. Not as much as apple wood of course. But still good stuff!

seaofgreens,
Reactions: j-bug

j-bug

You can use cherry wood for a smoker no problem. Some folks even rave about it. Not as much as apple wood of course. But still good stuff!
Huh, I guess that makes sense. I mainly heard about using maple, oak and hickory from my friend with the smoker and with how much she'd talk about it I figured I'd probably heard about the woods worth using with it from her. She definitely said soemthing about apple wood at some point but I never heard talk of cherry, could be they don't use it where she's from idk

j-bug,

Likes2vape

I've got the maple fw3.0. I only really get the woody taste on a 4 drawing real slow i originally said I was ambivalent about the wood taste, I would now say that I've come to enjoy it when it's there. If I had to guess I'd bet that the Cherry has less wooden flavor to it because based on talking with a friend who has a smoker for meat and stuff some woods have a flavor they give off when heated and some don't and maple is a commonly chosen wood for culinary purposes because of its taste, I've not really heard of cherry ever being used for that purpose.
:cool::brow:
I can talk about low and slow BBQ all day, it's another thing I love. It's kinda like vaping for meat! Any fruit wood or hardwood can be used to slow smoke bbq. I personally love to use cherry and pecan for its sweet mild taste. Wood choice has a lot to do with what wood is available in the area especially if using a common side firebox smoker aka a "stick burner" where it is best to buy your wood in bulk.

All of the woods that the fw 3 are made from would be considered mild flavored wood in the BBQ world and if they give any flavor it should be pretty mild and maybe even a little sweet.

futuretaylor

Surprisingly, I have been using my FW more than my nano for the past couple days. I don't even have my nano plugged in right now! I have been getting equal results out of both, the FW just takes a bit longer to get nice vapor. Nano consistently produces satisfying clouds quickly. However, I love not having a power cable attached and not stirring. My only big complaint is the mildly burnt wooden taste sometimes. I have the maple version. I figure it will go away in time.

Last edited:

mfvillain

The process is very simple and will save you from having to send your FW3 in. I would like to thank @Slow Draw McGraw for this one.

Basically, it is possible to adjust the temperature settings of the vaporizer by shifting the temperature ranges upwards in approximately 7 degree F increments. Here is how you can do it:
- turn on the vape
- wait until battery indicator buzzes are done
- click the button 8 times
- the vape will make 8 quick buzzes
- click the button 5 times
- the vape will make 5 quick buzzes
- click the button between 0 and 8 times:
0 clicks = set temp shift to 0
1 click = set temp shift to approx +7 degrees F for all heat levels
2 clicks = set temp shift to approx +14 degrees F for all heat levels
3 clicks = set temp shift to approx +21 degrees F for all heat levels
4 clicks = set temp shift to approx +28 degrees F for all heat levels
5 clicks = set temp shift to approx +36 degrees F for all heat levels
6 clicks = set temp shift to approx +43 degrees F for all heat levels
7 clicks = set temp shift to approx +50 degrees F for all heat levels
8 clicks = buzz back the current temp shift setting then shut off.

Ideally, when you turn on the vape and set heat level 3, without the mouthpiece in place, you should be able to see the coil barely glowing within about 10 seconds. If it isn't glowing then you may want to use the above procedure to shift the heat levels a bit higher (you can experiment, but starting with 4 clicks (+28 degrees) would be a good test to see if it helps.

I bumped mine up 4 clicks and it was money! So nice to be able to tweak the temp shift exactly to your liking so very easily!

The FW3....What a great vaporizer! Keep up the great work @firewood!

Working on a review guys, I've been super busy.

So I have done the above steps. I turned it to 4 clicks at first, at level 3 I had some good hits. But when I turned it off and came back it seemed like the heat setting went back to factory settings. Am I doing somethng wrong?

mfvillain,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
So I have done the above steps. I turned it to 4 clicks at first, at level 3 I had some good hits. But when I turned it off and came back it seemed like the heat setting went back to factory settings. Am I doing somethng wrong?
You aren't doing anything wrong, it remembers the value. The unit doesn't actually need the boost but if you haven't mastered the airflow control you may find it helpful, but boost doesn't prevent the issue altogether.

I have had mine at boost 5 and not combusted, while I've combusted on the lowest setting + temp 3 before, airflow is the primary factor of whether or not you'll get vapor, playing with bags has been very good at understanding production with different airflow speeds.

Taproots

The Firewood 2.1 was my first portable, and I always found it to be pretty hard hitting with a nice open draw, but very difficult for new users. I went ahead and ordered the 3 walnut during the black friday deal.

The Firewood 3 has managed to blow my expectations out of the water, completely surpassing the good performance of the 2.1 . Overall the time from start up to vapor production is about 20 seconds for me. Vapor is thicker than the 2.1, Draw restriction is definitely higher than my 2.1- I'd say slightly more than the imag 2 plus- it's really not obtrusive or problematic and makes it harder to overwhelm the heater (which is good).

I operate almost always on 4, with a very small amount (.05 or less) this gives me complete extraction very quickly. When I pack the capsule fully I start at 2 and work up to 4 over multiple sessions. For note I increased the heat bias by 4 clicks (+28 degrees) and found it to be the sweet spot for me.

Stealth wise it's perfect for me. On-demand with rapid heatup/cooldown is more important for my stealth than small form factor, as ducking outside to take a couple quick hits is what I mainly do. That being said the vape has a good enough form factor to fit into my pocket comfortably. Finally, in terms of stealth the smell is very minor indoors, at least with the strain I'm using. I theorize that among other things the microdosing and convection create less of an odor (I can get similar stealthiness with very small loads in my logs.)

Overall the Firewood 3 has achieved what no other portable has- it has replaced my desktops. This is partially due to my new housing situation which necessitates stealth, but the other component is that it emulates the qualities of my beloved log vapes (albeit with slightly more draw restriction.) As much as I'd love to break out my SSV or Enano and take massive vaporbong rips it just isn't in the cards for me in the immediate sense and the FW3 has managed to not make me feel deprived.

So Bravo Marc, I impulsively purchased this little monster and it has really made me happy.

little maggie

I was going to ask Ed to make a stem for the firewood but the more I think about it, it doesn't seem like a wood stem would work because of the capsule set up. Any suggestions.

little maggie,
Reactions: j-bug

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
"I was going to ask Ed to make a stem for the firewood but the more I think about it, it doesn't seem like a wood stem would work because of the capsule set up. Any suggestions."

I just added the little silicone sleeve from an extra mouthpiece and it makes a wonderful little stem that helps cool the vapor. I love it! I would love to buy more sleeves from him! In fact...they could be offered in a few lengths. I wouldn't mind trying a hose with it. ;)

Ok, so I just had another thought...you could then insert a glass stem into the extended silicone sleeve to give some more distance between the vapor and your throat.

Last edited:

mfvillain

You aren't doing anything wrong, it remembers the value. The unit doesn't actually need the boost but if you haven't mastered the airflow control you may find it helpful, but boost doesn't prevent the issue altogether.

I have had mine at boost 5 and not combusted, while I've combusted on the lowest setting + temp 3 before, airflow is the primary factor of whether or not you'll get vapor, playing with bags has been very good at understanding production with different airflow speeds.

How is the draw while using a bubler?

mfvillain,

little maggie

"I was going to ask Ed to make a stem for the firewood but the more I think about it, it doesn't seem like a wood stem would work because of the capsule set up. Any suggestions."

I just added the little silicone sleeve from an extra mouthpiece and it makes a wonderful little stem that helps cool the vapor. I love it! I would love to buy more sleeves from him! In fact...they could be offered in a few lengths. I wouldn't mind trying a hose with it. ;)

Ok, so I just had another thought...you could then insert a glass stem into the extended silicone sleeve to give some more distance between the vapor and your throat.

I already do that- I have a small hydrotube that I use without water to make more distance. For some reason though, the firewood has the mildest draw of any of my vapes. It's the only one I can use without water and still not cough.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I suspect I fall into the puss category because I never was a smoker. The Herc can send me into fits. The Crafty can get me coughing. The ESV and the FW3 have been very benign so far.
There was a time when I would sip on a low temp vaporizer through the evening. Back then, my throat was not accustomed to vapor. Taking too much in would make me cough even if I cooled the vapor first. I rarely cough from vapor anymore.

Diggy Smalls,

j-bug

I would really love a longer stem or a small hydratube for the FW. For me it would make it a lot easier on higher temps.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
How is the draw while using a bubler?
Fine for me but you may not like having to slow down your inhale so much. It is restricted but the you'll have to inhale slower anyway.

I would really love a longer stem or a small hydratube for the FW. For me it would make it a lot easier on higher temps.
You can move the location of oring to make the mouth piece extended, that makes it perfect for the pnwt.

Top Bottom