Firewood Vaporizer

Peacockfur

now: Enano OG, solo 2 previously: Lots!
Hey guys, is there a way to turn down the temperature using that method? On temp three mine goes really red and then off in like 7 seconds And the hits get pretty harsh after about two. I'm used to harsh vapes too so I think it must be a wee bit warm.
Edit: did it a second and third time and it was more like 5 seconds

Last edited:
Peacockfur,

radiant34

if you put your ear to it and close the other year you can hear a slight ringing noise. especially if you listen in from the bottom.

radiant34,

hippogriff

Alright, I finally got it, and NOW it seems simple. I was lucky enuf to get a fellow FCer's Firewood and have had it since Wednesday. My preference is portable, convection, & <2min sessions, and the Firewood arrived while my Grasshopper was in the shop. The hopper has spoiled me on quick, targeted, dead-simple extraction, but a MFLB was my only device for a good while so I'm good w manual control.

For the first 4 days w/ the Firewood I had good results w every session, and also empty hits, and hits where I couldn't find the heat till I was about out of breath, etc, same as reported here. Even after reading this whole thread, I still felt like I was guessing at the actual function & timing. Now I've adjusted the heat to 4-clicks/+28-degrees, and I trust the timing & draw strength and get consistent, quick results. All feel, I'm still not 100% on when the draw sensor cares about what I'm doing, just feels simple now.

The flavor, efficiency, and level of extraction of the Firewood are all top notch. This device really showcases clean convection. Compared to the Grasshopper, the Firewood has clearly better taste, and likely better efficiency & extraction. Temp stepping is, by design, easier w/ Grasshopper. At my current skill level, I think of the Firewood as my complete extractor, when I want everything from the plant. When I want targeted extraction for a bit of mid-day euphoria & disassociation, Firewood is likely capable but Grasshopper, for me so far, is easier. Because of this and plug-in/slow charge vs. USB/quick charge, Grasshopper will continue to be my daily driver, while the Firewood replaces my desktop vape.

Hey guys, is there a way to turn down the temperature using that method? On temp three mine goes really red and then off in like 7 seconds And the hits get pretty harsh after about two. I'm used to harsh vapes too so I think it must be a wee bit warm.
Edit: did it a second and third time and it was more like 5 seconds
Have you gone through the process to see if your unit is already set higher? Seems worth it, something is definitely going on as what you're describing is not the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
The process is very simple and will save you from having to send your FW3 in. I would like to thank @Slow Draw McGraw for this one.

Basically, it is possible to adjust the temperature settings of the vaporizer by shifting the temperature ranges upwards in approximately 7 degree F increments. Here is how you can do it:
- turn on the vape
- wait until battery indicator buzzes are done
- click the button 8 times
- the vape will make 8 quick buzzes
- click the button 5 times
- the vape will make 5 quick buzzes
- click the button between 0 and 8 times:
0 clicks = set temp shift to 0
1 click = set temp shift to approx +7 degrees F for all heat levels
2 clicks = set temp shift to approx +14 degrees F for all heat levels
3 clicks = set temp shift to approx +21 degrees F for all heat levels
4 clicks = set temp shift to approx +28 degrees F for all heat levels
5 clicks = set temp shift to approx +36 degrees F for all heat levels
6 clicks = set temp shift to approx +43 degrees F for all heat levels
7 clicks = set temp shift to approx +50 degrees F for all heat levels
8 clicks = buzz back the current temp shift setting then shut off.

Ideally, when you turn on the vape and set heat level 3, without the mouthpiece in place, you should be able to see the coil barely glowing within about 10 seconds. If it isn't glowing then you may want to use the above procedure to shift the heat levels a bit higher (you can experiment, but starting with 4 clicks (+28 degrees) would be a good test to see if it helps.

I bumped mine up 4 clicks and it was money! So nice to be able to tweak the temp shift exactly to your liking so very easily!

The FW3....What a great vaporizer! Keep up the great work @firewood!

Working on a review guys, I've been super busy.
This was awesome advice! Wow, now my Firewood is blowing things UP! It hits every bit as hard as my LSV did before it busted.

I took it on the road this weekend and got about 4 sessions with a buddy and one by myself before the battery had to be recharged. That's really not bad at all. I just need to remember to shut it off every 5 hits or so. But that's just because I start zoning out. At least there's the auto turn off. I've passed out with my LSV on and in my lap! It got so freaking HOT! Hahahaha

Edric al-Fali

I got my walnut Firewood. I took some vacation time and made them hold it at the post office so I could pick it up.
It's so small; it's adorable! The pictures on the site are with an LG G3, which I have. It game me the impression that it would be slightly bigger. I also got the wrong size screens from my local head shop, but there were a bunch of spares shipped with it and I can cut the other ones down to size, so I am set.

I tested it, went through a heating cycle and shut it off. Now I am charging it while I get some work done on my car. I keep looking down at that charging light while I finish my brunch and clean up the kitchen.

Threw a pinch in the chamber and am just waiting. :mmmm:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Threw a pinch in the chamber and am just waiting.

It's that kinda day, Mine's sitting loaded with a pinch of herb just waiting on the light to turn green too.

Mine is working much better after raising the temp but I still don't understand how/when the heater really engages or cycles yet, Sometimes I get great back to back to back hits sometimes it just shuts off mid hit... still at least now on temps 3-4 I can get really good hits but still little to no visible vapor production on 1-2. (I do vape outside 99 percent of the time and mostly at night so I often can't see vapor when vaping at lower temps with low light conditions and in the ever present light breeze wispy vapor is near invisible)

Last edited:

btka

still at least now on temps 3-4 I can get really good hits but still little to no visible vapor production on 1-2. (I do vape outside 99 percent of the time and mostly at night so I often can't see vapor when vaping at lower temps with low light conditions and the ever present light breeze wispy vapor is near invisible)
so you are getiting nice dense clouds "after rising the temp" at 3 and 4 or not? am I correct? and is the vapor quality (dense clouds) similar to your log vapes

btka,

Edric al-Fali

My only complaint is the draw resistance. It is abysmal. The unit gets hot and the coils slightly glow at setting 3. I got one good hit with some effort but it's too much resistance. I checked the chamber and it is as clear as if there was nothing in there.

Can I inspect this or modify the airholes? Could there be a clog?

Edric al-Fali,

radiant34

My only complaint is the draw resistance. It is abysmal. The unit gets hot and the coils slightly glow at setting 3. I got one good hit with some effort but it's too much resistance. I checked the chamber and it is as clear as if there was nothing in there.

Can I inspect this or modify the airholes? Could there be a clog?
draw speed has to be really slow for you to get good hits.

radiant34,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
so you are getiting nice dense clouds "after rising the temp" at 3 and 4 or not? am I correct? and is the vapor quality (dense clouds) similar to your log vapes

Basically, it is possible to adjust the temperature settings of the vaporizer by shifting the temperature ranges upwards in approximately 7 degree F increments. Here is how you can do it:
- turn on the vape
- wait until battery indicator buzzes are done
- click the button 8 times
- the vape will make 8 quick buzzes
- click the button 5 times
- the vape will make 5 quick buzzes
- click the button between 0 and 8 times:
0 clicks = set temp shift to 0
1 click = set temp shift to approx +7 degrees F for all heat levels
2 clicks = set temp shift to approx +14 degrees F for all heat levels
3 clicks = set temp shift to approx +21 degrees F for all heat levels
4 clicks = set temp shift to approx +28 degrees F for all heat levels
5 clicks = set temp shift to approx +36 degrees F for all heat levels
6 clicks = set temp shift to approx +43 degrees F for all heat levels
7 clicks = set temp shift to approx +50 degrees F for all heat levels
8 clicks = buzz back the current temp shift setting then shut off

I raised the overall temp in mine by 43 degrees or 6 clicks using the instructions above.

(edit; @Edric al-Fali my unit has zero draw resistance on the hits that give no vapor, somehow the resistance increases a little when it's producing vapor :shrug:otherwise it's as clear and easy to draw on as can be)

(Edit Edit; @Edric al-Fali so far I'm not getting as dense a hit as with my UD or HI but last night I got great effect from one capsule and some pretty big clouds, with my logs the load would of been spent in 4-5 hits max, with the FW3 it took 10-12 and wasn't as roasted as with a ud or hi. The fW capsule does only hold log size loads though. more practice/testing on my part needed )

Last edited:

radiant34

That is great to know. I like to rip it and not sip it and don't care for much draw resistance.

Actually ripping isn't efficient for any vapes i dont think, (except maybe ones that arent portable). This vape is phenomenal. Although i have a mighty, i alternate with the firewood constantly. I use it solely for taking a coupla hits and putting it down. The mighty is more of a session champ where i can just get zoots.

Likes2vape

Actually ripping isn't efficient for any vapes i dont think, (except maybe ones that arent portable). This vape is phenomenal. Although i have a mighty, i alternate with the firewood constantly. I use it solely for taking a coupla hits and putting it down. The mighty is more of a session champ where i can just get zoots.
All my plug ins can definitely rip it. I don't mind taking a slower hit I just hate feeling like my air flow is being restricted and I'm sucking through a sippy straw.

Likes2vape,

Mr Mellish

All my plug ins can definitely rip it. I don't mind taking a slower hit I just hate feeling like my air flow is being restricted and I'm sucking through a sippy straw.

In my case, the resistance is minimal (about on par with the Crafty, I'm thinking).

Mr Mellish,
Reactions: Vape Dr.

Edric al-Fali

I don't try to rip it. I'm used to slow hits; this isn't my first vaporizer. I can't even sip it tho. It's such a workout that I am out of breath trying to take hits. It is tighter than any vape I have used. It feels like hitting with a very gunked up screen.

Edit: Inspecting it with a flashlight. It looks clear through the middle of the heater; I can see the wires through the top. So it is just tighter than I am used to, I guess.

I'm used to having a clearer airflow that I can control. I still sip it, but I use a different technique. I tend to sip hot air across the chamber for a few seconds, then rip the vapor out.

Last edited:
Edric al-Fali,

hippogriff

That is great to know. I like to rip it and not sip it and don't care for much draw resistance.
My firewood can handle pretty good airflow when everything is right - slow on the first couple draws, where you're still warming up & drying out, then progressively more air with each hit. Not full on ripping, max is 3/4 of what I can do w a Grasshopper, this is more like half-rips.

@Edric al-Fali have you tried pulling w the mouthpiece removed?

hippogriff,

Edric al-Fali

have you tried pulling w the mouthpiece removed?
That was one of the first things I tried and it was surprisingly clear. I suspect it is at the heater coil as that is very narrow. I think it is just the design of the heater and something I will just have to get used to.
I did get two very good hits on setting 4 and that was plenty to satiate me for the moment.

I want to make sure it is operating normally. Sometimes it does weird things like respond to a shutdown command with a single quick buzz. It had also shut down right after turning it on. I think it has to do with the timing of my button presses.

I think overall, I need to play with it more.

Edric al-Fali,

smokey_da_vape

I have figured out my maple firewood and it was great. I had it since Friday but wouldn't you know, I dropped it on my counter top and broke the glass mouthpiece and now it won't turn on or charge. Thank vaporgod I have a walnut waiting to go.

ren.dnb

I like the resistance of the 3.0 vs the 2.1. I have a 2.1 and loved it, 3.0 made me retire it lol. The 2.1 had a very tight resistance. I like how the resistance is on the 3.0 as it reminds me of my RDA for my e-cig. Smooth and wide open, which makes it easier to adjust my draw rate.

hippogriff

That was one of the first things I tried and it was surprisingly clear. I suspect it is at the heater coil as that is very narrow. I think it is just the design of the heater and something I will just have to get used to.
I did get two very good hits on setting 4 and that was plenty to satiate me for the moment.

I want to make sure it is operating normally. Sometimes it does weird things like respond to a shutdown command with a single quick buzz. It had also shut down right after turning it on. I think it has to do with the timing of my button presses.

I think overall, I need to play with it more.
I might be misunderstanding, but if mouthpiece out = clear, then it can't be the heater, yeah? Not sure what could be going on in the mouthpiece, maybe a doubled up screen or something... I dunno, but mine's not the fastest draw, but it's not a struggle and I have plenty of room to vary my draw speed, I want you to, too.

vaperdog

I like the resistance of the 3.0 vs the 2.1. I have a 2.1 and loved it, 3.0 made me retire it lol. The 2.1 had a very tight resistance. I like how the resistance is on the 3.0 as it reminds me of my RDA for my e-cig. Smooth and wide open, which makes it easier to adjust my draw rate.
wow, ive had the opposite experience, my 2.1 was much easier to draw on, had to slow the draw on your own. with the fw3 i always have much more resistance even when pulling slow

vaperdog,

Edric al-Fali

I might be misunderstanding, but if mouthpiece out = clear, then it can't be the heater, yeah? Not sure what could be going on in the mouthpiece, maybe a doubled up screen or something... I dunno, but mine's not the fastest draw, but it's not a struggle and I have plenty of room to vary my draw speed, I want you to, too.

I think you think I mean the unit is clear without the mouthpiece in. I mean that the mouthpiece is clear when removed from the unit. I think I misunderstood what you were asking. The unit still hits tight when I draw without the mouthpiece. I think the airflow through the heater is narrower than what I am used to.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
With a fresh screen in the mouth piece mine has good flow. After using it for a couple days it gets gunked up and hard to draw from.

Diggy Smalls,
Top Bottom