Firewood Vaporizer

jayson

It was mentioned that it's not recommended to use the Firewood while it's charging. I'm wondering what's the harm? Will it simply not work or is it harming the battery? I guess after the 1st few charges I should just be partial charging it whenever I can, but a few times it's cut off on me and I'm out of luck. Could someone shed some light on this?

jayson,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
as far as I understand it, you need to put the power switch in the "off" position to charge which would prevent you from being able to use it while it's charging. I don't know the reasoning behind it though.

jambandphan03,

firewood

Manufacturer
It was mentioned that it's not recommended to use the Firewood while it's charging. I'm wondering what's the harm? Will it simply not work or is it harming the battery? I guess after the 1st few charges I should just be partial charging it whenever I can, but a few times it's cut off on me and I'm out of luck. Could someone shed some light on this?

sorry for the late reply. The reason you can't use when charging is because that charger isn't designed to supply enough current. It needs about 3A and that charger only does 0.4A. I have a power supply that I have been testing that is not a charger, but looks like one. You plug it in and it allows you to use it when the batteries are dead.

farscaper

So I have an ac adapter that a varyable dc output up to (what looks like if im reading correctly) a 12v dc --- 1A output for my wychwood that fits the firewood (ill be it snugly).... Is that insufficent?

But ur saying that it requires a 3A output to power directly? does it bypass the battery or simply charge in a trickle fashion? With enough output to compensate for the energy release?

Signed electrically novice. :p

farscaper,

firewood

Manufacturer
I don't encourage using a variable voltage supply and it would void the warranty. If you drive too high a voltage you can damage the batteries. The power supply/adapter that I have is 5V, which is below the no-load voltage of the fully charged batteries, so it is impossible to overcharge them. It is in parallel with the batteries, so yes, when in use it may be charging the batteries slightly, but the nichrome takes most of the current.

firewood,

firewood

Manufacturer
well 1A is probably not enough anyway, unless it is rated at 1A when forcing 12V but will do more at lower voltages. If you do try it, definitely DO NOT use 6V or above. 4.5V might be enough if the voltage doesn't sag when the load is applied. You could either just try it and see if it works or figure out a way to probe with a multimeter while in use and see what voltage it forces under load. If it is much below 4.5V then it probably won't work so well.

again though - this is not recommended. if you accidentally plug it in with the wrong voltage the batteries could overcharge and get damaged.

Saintcloud

Well, first re-try last night at didn't go so well. Couldn't get any clouds at all and barely got to a 1. I believe that my material is too big since it's hard to get it down the tube and the tube seems sticky regardless. Sadly I spent money on a sharpstone grinder hoping it would be fine but I'm beginning to think it won't be able to get the grind small enough for this.

Saintcloud,

farscaper

I just scissor grind in a shot glass. Perfect every time. If ur bud is really fresh itll gum up the tubes. But any buildup I get is typically from not (if you will) "cashing" the load. I have also found that leaving a spent load in the unit til the unit cools will also gum it up. So I always expell the load after im done (when I can).

Some othe suggestions I have are make sure u wait for the unit to warm up all the way before a draw if u wanna cloud... I also found that sticking large pieces in only works if u stir... Not shake, stir... Cause first the large pieces will fully dry, then u stir and it will break up further. However this is the fastest way to gum the bottom screen IMO scissors + shot glass = poor man bliss. I have had a few grinders,in my day, cant beat low tech some times.

Meghan

I use a cheap, no-name grinder a friend picked up for me on Amazon, and it works great for the Firewood. That said, the material you're using could also have a lot to do with your problems. If you're not getting a fine enough grind, try turning the grinder over so you can re-grind everything. You definitely shouldn't be winding up with pea-sized chunks! (Which is how big I assume they must be if you're having trouble getting it down the chamber.)

I haven't found gumming up of the chamber to be an issue for me, even when I do neglect to clear the load while it's hot. So far I've been able to very gently brush out the chamber with the flat end of a wooden skewer, and it's staying surprisingly clean. I've actually been surprised by that (of course, my last small portable was a Pax, so anything less than super high-maintenance totally delights me).

My herb isn't very moist or sticky, for the most part. Maybe that's the difference?

farscaper

The gumming issue will only arise to those with super fresh bud. This vape basically self cleans, however the glass on mine has kinda stained red/brown and I cant seem to get at it... So I suspect that the discoloration is in the coil area between the inner and outwr tube... No function issues, just makes it even harder to see the load through the lil view/ air port hole.

I use my firewood multiple times daily since I got it. The bottom screen is still basically clean too, which perpetuate the self cleaning idea.

Saintcloud

Well, I grinded it up more and used a bit of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean the tube (away from the main device) I think the first time there was a bit of combustion and that probably caused it to gum a bit. Only problem is now it's not getting hot even if I hold it down for a minute. No heat on the mouth-piece, can't feel it near the top of the unit anymore, and if i take the mouthpiece out I can't feel any heat on the mouth-piece coil. I feel like that coil is messed up somehow, it seems more spread-out than normal but I have no idea. Sadly I'm not going to be able to test it for 6 days because of the job.

Saintcloud,

firewood

Manufacturer
Well, I grinded it up more and used a bit of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean the tube (away from the main device) I think the first time there was a bit of combustion and that probably caused it to gum a bit. Only problem is now it's not getting hot even if I hold it down for a minute. No heat on the mouth-piece, can't feel it near the top of the unit anymore, and if i take the mouthpiece out I can't feel any heat on the mouth-piece coil. I feel like that coil is messed up somehow, it seems more spread-out than normal but I have no idea. Sadly I'm not going to be able to test it for 6 days because of the job.
Are you sure it is charged? Can you try charging it until the light on the charger (the part that goes into the wall) turns green, then see if you can get it to heat up? Even if it isn't loaded, you can still just check to see if it heats. After a full charge if you turn it on and hold the trigger for 20 to 30 seconds you should feel heat by just putting your finger over the window. If it doesn't get warm at all then something is wrong and you might want to send it back for repair (probably warranty but I can't say for sure until I see it) Feel free to PM me to to discuss/troubleshoot further.

firewood,
Reactions: farscaper

vii

is it possible to put oil or hash in the unit? or will it damage the unit?

Here my review of the firewood. i had the firewood for a few weeks now and enjoying every momment with it. i'm mflb user for over 2 years and still going.i find with firewood it hits like a box with wpa.which is awesome!!!the only thing i dont like is the mouthpiece.the mouthpiece is too flaky,its need to be more stable.i dont like the rattling around.the draw stem needs to be longer. i added a inch of silicon tubing to solve the heat issue on draws.the coil spring at first i found useless at the start because i kept swallowing little bits of weed which is a big turn off.never have that problem with mflb.i will recommend for new user to use the screen and spring when first using the firewood to avoid this problem untill your draw rate is good.now i can use spring alone after few weeks without getting any debris in my mouth.i use a fine grind due to my mflb.the drawing technique described in the manual works find but i fine its way too strong for me.my draw technique is taking 10 second pull while battery is engage than take another 10 second pulled without .i find with this method im not coughing up a lung and im getting more hits from a load.the normal technique i was find that i could only take about three hits before the load is done and with my method you easy can get 3-4 more hits for a load.the residue heat on the firewood is crazy compare to mflb .i only use a pinch of herb in the firewood at a time. i find if you add more its hard to shake the load and some herb combusted.i think the max is two pinches.i dont know how much that would be in grams.when i take a pinch of herb i roll it into a ball with my fingers.i find it easier to load that way no mess.i dont like playing operation lol.im doing my best to spread the word of firewood to everyone i know.i really think this is a awesome unit and with few tweaks this unit could be legendary .everyone i showed the unit to think it awesome and want one for themselves.the only complain i heard from people is that battery is not replaceable and they wouldn't buy one for that reason.they say that when the battery dies the the unit is garbage .which is true .other than that i think this is one of the best portables on the market and highly recommend the firewood.its a great compliment to the mflb especially if you get matching woods:)thanks firewood for creating a great unit!! i enjoy using the firewood everyday.

Saintcloud

Now that Firewood has sorted me out (with great support btw) I've had a few nights to try this baby out. I'm getting much better clouds. I'm still having an issue of getting pieces into my mouth though, and I'm trying to not to suck in too hard. I'm finding it's not much of an issue if the load is only about 1/4 but that's also not as much total vapor

Edit: I'm not sure about pulling the screen out of the bottom and putting it on the top either. I don't want to break anything!

Last edited:
Saintcloud,

Meghan

Now that Firewood has sorted me out (with great support btw) I've had a few nights to try this baby out. I'm getting much better clouds. I'm still having an issue of getting pieces into my mouth though, and I'm trying to not to suck in too hard. I'm finding it's not much of an issue if the load is only about 1/4 but that's also not as much total vapor

Edit: I'm not sure about pulling the screen out of the bottom and putting it on the top either. I don't want to break anything!

Do you have the rolled up screen in the bottom of the mouthpiece? I was getting bits of material in my mouth until I did that, as recommended in the instructions. It helped a ton!

Meghan,
Reactions: vii

Saintcloud

Do you have the rolled up screen in the bottom of the mouthpiece? I was getting bits of material in my mouth until I did that, as recommended in the instructions. It helped a ton!
I didn't even see that to be honest. Sadly, I cannot find the rolled up screen. You just put it in that bottom before the herb? That seems crazy haha. I may see if any local places have something small I could use like that.

Edit: I'm thinking it's more my draw and that in the beginning I was incorrectly measuring trench size. We'll see again soon.

Last edited:
Saintcloud,

Meghan

Mine came with a screen taped to the manual (just a normal screen). The instructions recommended rolling it into a "ball" (mine is a bit more oblong than that, to make it fit). You insert it into the mouthpiece (not the chamber), so that it sits right above the metal coil. Basically, that way anything that gets into and past the metal coil won't go all the way up the mouthpiece into your mouth.

Meghan,

Conor Sherman

Hey guys!

My unfinished maple firewood just came in the mail today! I just started charging it so I'll be able to have my first vape session EVER later tonight! :D

I applied coconut oil as a finish, and after the first coat this thing looks GREAT!
If you have any coconut oil laying around, you can get an unfinished firewood and finish it yourself for $95 shipped.

edit: Shipping was also very fast, 3 days from order I believe. Also, I didn't get a mesh screen anywhere in the package. I'm not too worried about this because the spring screen that came in my mouthpiece has a really cool design that looks like it will be pretty effective.

edit 2: Is it normal that the heat button is easier to press on the right side (when looking at power button).

Conor Sherman,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
My FW is still working really good, I use it everyday. I think that it will be a nice idea if Firewwood corp make a special price for replacement unit when the battery will dead (if they don't resolve the battery replacement issue before).
I like my FW but I hate the idea that it will finish in a trash can when the battery die.

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
@Saintcloud

The removable mouthpiece where the spring is. Under the spring in the draw tube is where the rolled up screen is placed.
PRsCgWA.jpeg

Hope that helps. :tup:

@PPN
I was just over to the site and seen there are two repair services. Not sure what they cover, but you could contact Firewood if it is helpful.

Last edited:
1_gr8_underdog,

Saintcloud

Guys. I'm going to be honest, you guys made me realize I wasn't exactly using it right haha. That being said, yesterday I did and man this thing hits. I combusted just a tiny bit of the herb with the rest being well vaped, and only got a tiny bit in my mouth whenever I got very overconfident and inhaled like I was superman.

Conor Sherman

Guys. I'm going to be honest, you guys made me realize I wasn't exactly using it right haha. That being said, yesterday I did and man this thing hits. I combusted just a tiny bit of the herb with the rest being well vaped, and only got a tiny bit in my mouth whenever I got very overconfident and inhaled like I was superman.

Any tips for a brand new user?

I have used it a couple times with pretty good results, only got a piece of herb in my mouth twice so far :)

Conor Sherman,
Top Bottom