1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

FC against "spammers"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by PPN, May 10, 2019.

1. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

Hi, I can see a lot of "hacking" spam threads created during the chinese business time in order to sell stuff, a lot this days I think... this is a big job for mods to locate and delete all this "spams" I bet... most of the time they come from a one and only post from a newly created member. Maybe you can force people to post in the "Welcome in FC" presentation thread for their first post, like that your job will be easier (especially to locate and maybe to delete if you can delete severals threads in one clic) and it might help to lower the amount of spams...

Is it something doable in the website software (first post in the "welcome in FC presentation thread")?

Thanks

Modnote: Edited for clarity

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2019
  2. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

It was yesterday that the amount of spam exploded expotentially. Usually it's just a couple. It isn't a big job to delete if members report the post. I've been doing it regularly. Yesterday was a nightmare. I made a mistake & shouldn't have flagged them all since it was only 3 or 4 usernames. Should just have reported the names to the mods who could have done a search to delete.

Since the mods don't have administrator(?) priviledges, I don't think that they can do anything about it except delete.

3. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Shaman of The Pyramid of Orlin'Malah

Maybe add someone from Europe to the moderator staff ,so he can mop up during our day hours ?

4. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@Abysmal Vapor, pak posted this in another thread a few days ago:

5. pakalolo

pakalolo RoboMod v4.0a (unstable) Staff Member

Moderators can't make the kind of change proposed. Unfortunately there have been spammers from China and India for some time. There has been an uptick in Chinese activity recently. About one in three manages to complete registration and post something. For some reason, only some of the Chinese spammers spam more than one thread. It is not too hard to spot these but reports help.

Yes, you need only report the spammer name. We don't need to search for the threads because when we ban a spammer the threads are automatically moved to our toxic waste cemetery, which is only visible to moderators.

6. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

I know how to report a post since there is a specific button but how to report only a username? Maybe just pm you...?

7. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

If you click on the spammer's name and select "profile page", you'll see an orange "report" option. However it's just as effective to report any one of the spam posts. :2c:

:peace:

8. Poostuff

Poostuff Well-Known Member

Every time I go to log in here I see a bunch of spam threads & the unsecured website warning.
    The whole first page of new posts is covered with the spam threads right now.
    I appreciate the fact the moderators do their best with the limitations they have but sometimes wonder if a lot more people would be active here if the site didn’t feel like a run down apartment with no maintenance guy.

Madri-Gal and Silat like this.
  9. macbill

macbill Gregarious Misanthrope

I'm too stupid to be bothered. I post anyway.

10. Madri-Gal

Madri-Gal Child Of The Revolution

I'd describe you more as mellow and good natured, @macbill. When I see you feisty, it seems directed at injustice. :2c:

11. Chainfish

Chainfish Well-Known Member

Have noticed a rise. How many active members here? wouldn't it be possible to organise a DDOS attack on the websites being promoted? Am old and not too puter literate but surely this is possible.

ClearBlueLou and Madri-Gal like this.
  12. YaMon

YaMon Vaping since 2010

This sites not much of target, imho no reason to make it more of one with retaliation. I still think this site is more active than two of the alternatives, but worry about it's future given @vtac 's absence

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  13. Hackerman

Hackerman User

Tic toc tic toc

Whisper, f2j, OldNewbie and 3 others like this.
  14. Poostuff

Poostuff Well-Known Member

So much spam here at the moment that now I have to make English Muffins.

macbill, Summer, Squiby and 1 other person like this.
  15. ensabbahnur

ensabbahnur Hash Vacuum

Was curious as to how this site is funded and who's ultimately The Man when it comes down to it.

Not making any criticisms, just trying to find a way to improve FCs quality of life.

Madri-Gal likes this.
  16. Madri-Gal

The Man seems to be gone, and the mods that be are doing all they can. What quality of life improvements have you in mind?

17. ensabbahnur

ensabbahnur Hash Vacuum

Things like the stuff listed above, IMO there is 0 reason for anyone to need to be able to create multiple threads on day 1 of joining the board. Having most of or the entire board list being spam posted on the front page is just bad all around and does not present a good image of the community.

I do recall seeing something about whoever actually "owns" FC being mia but I was wondering if money would have any effect of either bringing him back or perhaps passing the reins to someone else. It feels like being on borrowed time otherwise because that also means things like no https and no updates to the board software......at least if i understand the situation correctly.

pxl_jockey and Madri-Gal like this.
  18. Madri-Gal

Well, good luck with that. Gone seems to be gone, and you have to get hold of a person to offer money or have them turn over their site. I'm interested to see how it works out for you. I love FC, and if you can fix it up I encourage you to do so. Finding the founder would seem to be the first step, and I would be happy to hear he's healthy and well.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    pxl_jockey, Magic9, Alexis and 3 others like this.
  19. Planck

Planck believes in Dog

I've been reporting spammers by username.
    I still feel kind of like I may be spamming the mods because I don't know how many other may have also reported them.

Was thinking maybe a "Reported" reply to the spammer as well as a report to the mod squad might help?

20. YaMon

YaMon Vaping since 2010

By username is the best until @vtac returns and is able to make improvements.. lots of members willing to volunteer intellectually, sweat equity or funding.

Madri-Gal and Planck like this.
  21. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

While I appreciate the idea of helping us, please don't reply to spam posts. The way we ban these spammers is by scrolling to the bottom of the post (some are quite long you've noticed) where we have the option to ban the spamming member. If your post is below that of the spammer, a mod not paying close attention might accidentally ban you instead of the spammer.

Ask me how I know...

:peace:

22. Planck

Planck believes in Dog

With regards to spammers your wish is my command.

I shall continue to report by right clicking on the user name and choosing Report unless advised that this is not helpful. I am often browsing late at night when few are around and frequently see the spam before the ink has dried.

This way I don't even have to open the spam thread.

You manage just fine without me so there is that to consider. :rofl:

Summer, Magic9, Madri-Gal and 2 others like this.
  23. AcidFlashbang

AcidFlashbang Member

This site has until Oct 2020 if vtac is really gone and doesn't renew his registration for the url.

24. Hackerman

Hackerman User

It's on auto-renew. As long as his payment method is current it will keep renewing. If/when his credit card (or whatever payment method) expires, it's a different story.

However, the good news is that I have discovered his logon for the namecheap host server. If I can brute the password, I'll have total control. I could turn that over to a mod and the site is under his/her complete control (as well as any other site vtac might be managing). The host has protection against brute attempts but... he he there are ways around that.

pxl_jockey and Madri-Gal like this.
  25. AcidFlashbang

AcidFlashbang Member

Very interesting. Whats your background if I may ask?

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors