Extreme Vaporizer vs. Herbalaire 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I've narrowed my choice of first-time vape purchase to one of these two vapes. Any comments?
Thanks

stickstones,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
If I had to choose between the two, right now, I'd go with the Herbalaire.

The Extreme looks pretty snazzy from what I've seen from a quick search, (is that a friggin remote control?) but it's a pretty new product, right? I can't find their website, only an ebay auction, and that scares me.

The herbalaire has been around for a while and from what I've read people are pretty happy with it. I assume you're going for a vaporizer with whip and bag capability?

I'll try to dig up some more info on the extreme later, pretty ripped, I think it's bed time. :spliff:

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks for the input. Yeah, that Extreme looks pretty hip. There are some videos of it on youtube that make it look hot. I like the remote, the stealthness, and the diffuser capability for the wife. I'm leaning toward that one right now. I can pick up the Herbalair at the local head shop, but will need to get the Extreme online.

stickstones,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
After doing some more research, I've changed my mind.

It appears that the extreme vaporizer is made by Arizer, the same people who make the v-tower. I guess they haven't had a chance to update their website.

From what I can gather, the v-tower was well received by users and I didn't see any "It broke the first day I got it" posts. I hate to name names but the super/vapezilla seems to have a few of those.

I watched the company's videos and damn, that looks slick. If everything works as shown, and it's built to last... that thing is at the top of my wish list.

He puts an emphasis on the quality and inertness of the materials used and that's a major selling point for me. I've always been wary of the enclosed units because you don't know what's going on inside. Is the air stream passing over some toxic material? Is the heater slowly melting something?

From the video, the air path is an all glass tunnel until it hits the ceramic heating element and then the herb. Hopefully it's a high quality ceramic heater like the SSV's, but I imagine it is, with the lifetime warranty (on the element).

People will argue this, but, I question the use of Teflon in the herbalaire and aluminum (heater) in the volcano. Even if they're safe to use at the operating temperature ranges, the fact that they're known to be hazardous at higher temperatures is disconcerting to me.

I like the little details with the extreme, the display appears to use actual pixels instead of LCD digits. Swappable glass mouthpieces, blue LEDs, remote control.

So, yeah, it sounds like I'm sold. :lol:

I'll be very interested to hear what you think, if you end up getting one.

By the way, have you owned/used other vapes?

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I've only had one hit off a vape and it was about 6 months ago on my friend's Volcano. I've been lusting for one ever since. The smoothness of the hit and how the high snuck up on me...got to have it. Besides the health of my lungs!

I will probably order the Extreme in the next two weeks and I'll lt you know how it is. I already got my herb grinder and it is getting me much better hits off the bubbler.

stickstones,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I could blab on about the virtues of vaporizing for hours. It's a fairly big investment initially, but well worth it in the long run. Paid for itself many times over for me.

You mentioned you have a bubbler... that's another cool feature they showed in the extreme video: you can plug the balloon right into a bong.

I almost always run my SSV through a water pipe and oh boy is it smooth.

:science:

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I don't get that...I can't get past the whole 'you lose vapor in the water since they are the same element' thng.

stickstones,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Yeah, some people on other message boards say that it's a horrible waste and doesn't work.

They're wrong.

It's similar to smoking a bong. The smoke or vapor is encapsulated in air bubbles as it's pulled through the water, when the bubbles hit the surface they burst and the smoke/vapor is released.

It's true that a small amount of active ingredients are retained in the water but it's virtually unnoticeable. It's further minimized due to the fact that you only need a very small amount of water, just enough so the stem is submerged a centimeter or so.

If you really can't handle the thought of wasting anything, drink the water after you're done. Seriously, it's nothing like normal bong water because no combustion took place, no ash and perfectly clear. The taste is light and sort of vegetable-y, basically vapor tea. Just make sure your bong isn't nasty to begin with.

Sometimes I use the same water for a few days so it builds up and then mix it with vodka and orange juice. Tastes great and seems to pack a little extra punch.

Why bother in the first place?

Especially if you're using a whip, the vapor is still warm and tends to be a bit dry. Even plain dry air can irritate lungs. The water/ice cools it down and adds a little moisture. Any fine particulate matter than happened to make it through the screen is also caught by the water.

I have no problem hitting them without water, but I always use it when possible. My biggest vapor clouds ever were through water, but I can also get a nice buzz with 0.05g. So yeah, it's a waste and doesn't work. :rolleyes:

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Everyone says vapes use less herb. I wonder if it is because they force you to use a grinder. I got a grinder a couple of days ago for my combustion stuff and it is making a huge difference in how much I use. It will be interesting to see if smoking ground herb is comparable to vaping ground herb in terms of usage.

stickstones,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
A good vaporizer is just way more efficient than combustion. Among other things, burning your herb destroys active ingredients, vaporizing doesn't.

It's funny, I know a lot of hardcore smokers... they'll burn through an ounce a week, but a few little bowls from my SSV and they get that look on their face like a first timer. :lol:

I think grinders just expose more surface area than, say, chopping with scissors. Plus, kif collecting grinders are the shit. :tup:

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
kif...is that the pollen grinder? That's what I got. I wonder how long it takes to get a significant amount of crystals in there.

stickstones,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Kif is the "pollen" that falls through the screen and collects in the bottom of the grinder. You should see some in there after grinding a gram or less.

My grinder has a nice coating, maybe 1.5mm after about an ounce or so. I'll try to get some pictures later, might even start another thread. This one has gotten a bit off topic. :D

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Yo vape man...just ordered the Extreme Vaporizer. Should be here next week and I'll let you know how it is (although I have no experience to compare it to). I did see a used one on e-bay and wondered if it sucked because they just came out. I contacted the guy selling it and he said it was great. He was only selling it because he got caught in his dorm with it. He also said it was better than the Herbalaire, but not quite as good as the Volcano...but by far the best in its price range.

I'll let you know when I get it. Maybe you can give me some tips on how to start using it? I was thinking of toying with it with some herbs first, so I don't waste my chronic because I don't know what I am doing.

stickstones,

marcuss

above the clouds
Hello to all the vaporists out there!
Here from my hill i can see the fog....
Nice to meet more vapor fellows around the world!Here in Italy i'm a lonely soldier!
I'm going high with the Extreme for about a month so i can help u with some tips when u get it!
I've also a Vapolution and i'm in love with it since i bought it!
Between these two model there are so many difference that i cannot stay without both of them!
The extreme for me it's an indoor unit, i don't want any trouble with it, also if it seems hard and safe.
Vapolution it's a portable unit(+battery pack)!You just need to pay attention to the a.i.w. glass bowl!
This combination make me happy everywhere everytime!

marcuss,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Welcome Marcuss!
You must have gotten that Extreme when it first came out. I am expecting mine in the next couple of days...can't wait. It will be my first vape. I welcome all tips, as I don't know what I am doing, so fire away!

stickstones,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Hey, marcuss! Glad you made it! I can't wait to hear about the extreme.

I just made it home from a vapor filled weekend, we ended up with a big shot glass full of vaped herb :D

Going to hit the sack, will check in later. :spliff:

vtac,

marcuss

above the clouds
Yes stickstones i was in your same situation...looking for herbalaire for long time when extreme born...then after some video and few feedback i choose for the new one!
After the vapolution experience i love the glass...so i preferred the extreme!
I never tried the herbalaire but for a little more $$ you get a lot of extra and i don't like the teflon short whip....too close to the oven i guess!The pump also is crap someone says!I don't know....better one all-inclusive unit for me.
In a short time some pics and tips....too much work right now!

marcuss,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I look forward to your pics, Marcuss. No vape for me today :( Maybe it will get here tomorrow.

stickstones,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Waiting sucks, I feel your pain. But... when it finally arrives, it's like Christmas. :D

Looks like Arizer does have the extreme up on their website but it's not linked from the main page yet.

http://www.arizer.com/node/1

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
ooooooohhhwwwweeeeee...got it today. I will start using it tonight and will let you guys know how it is!

stickstones,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
You know this is my first vape. So...I'm not getting any visible vapor. I started the thing out on 250C like in the video and went all the way up to 300. I only got one wisp of vape in my exhale at 250 and nothing else after that. The temps here are what the display says. I put in some different weed to see if that was an issue and am starting that batch now.

Any ideas?

I am using the whip on demand...figure no use in using the fan or bag until I get vape on demand.

stickstones,

sipscience

stickstones - keep the temp low and pull steady. I don't own this unit and having a hard time not buying one but own a vaporstar, genie and cano. I'm sure it's like mastering a water tube. Some people just never get the science of pulling tubes. Put a generous amount in there, don't over grind it, it will dissinigrate as it is roasted, and sit back and relax. Don't focus on it. I'm sure you're spaced out by now :)

the vaporstar gives a metalic taste to my tongue. The genie can be a sweet toker but doesn't give the biggest hits.

sipscience,

marcuss

above the clouds
sipscience said:
stickstones - keep the temp low and pull steady. I don't own this unit and having a hard time not buying one but own a vaporstar, genie and cano. I'm sure it's like mastering a water tube. Some people just never get the science of pulling tubes. Put a generous amount in there, don't over grind it, it will dissinigrate as it is roasted, and sit back and relax. Don't focus on it. I'm sure you're spaced out by now :)

the vaporstar gives a metalic taste to my tongue. The genie can be a sweet toker but doesn't give the biggest hits.
Wait wait wait!

Sorry stickstones for my slow reply but work it's a time consumer!

1: set the temp between 335- 350(this is the heater temp so you will not burn your plant)
2: Grind your plant material to let the air pass through
3: DON'T PUT TOO MUCH material in the bowl, half it's ok!
4:Start pull slowly and steady...if you want set the fan at low and it's easier!
5:When you are ok with the whip try the ballon and you get more from your herbs!
I guess you speak english so watch the instruction video carefully!
Now try these tips and then tell me something!

Bless the vapor!

marcuss,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks guys!

Sipscience...welcome to the site and thanks for the input.

Marcuss, glad you chimed in. I was going to start a thread for your help because you have this unit.

Here's a recap of last night, followed by some questions.

I started with the whip on demand for reasons stated above and got very little vapor. My one experience with vapor before was with a Volcano and the vapor was visible in the bag and when exhaling. Also, the video that came with the Extreme showed the same visible vapor. So I started to wonder what to do. I remembered someone somewhere saying the bag was easier for beginners because the whip takes practice (like sipscience said), so I put the unit on 250C and attached the bag and put the fan on hi with my midgrade chronic. The bag filled and I got visible exhales from it, but it wasn't thick like I was expecting. I repeated this step at 260C and got less vape and again at 250C and got minimal vape. The spent herb for both bowls was still mostly green with some brown color, and very crispy. At this point I started to feel something, but not much. As it was already 11pm and I was determined to get hi, I took the remains from both bowls and combusted them (please forgive my moment of weakness here!).

Some statements and questions:
1 -- I was expecting the hi to be slower coming with vapor because I had read somewhere that you don't get the instant rush like from combustion due to your body not reacting to the smoke. The rush isn't actually a mj hi, but a reaction to smoke. Is this true?
2 -- Because of this, I waited awhile before rendering judgement. I got some headiness after awhiile, but I am convinced that last night I did not get strong vapor hits.
3 -- Marcuss, you said to put the temp in the 335 - 350 range. This would be the temp of the heating element and not the air passing over it, yes? That sure makes things confusing.
4 -- Marcuss, as you know, the unit's remote comes with buttons for temps between 250 and 310 degrees. I found that when I tried to get outside of this range I had a hard time stopping it at the appropriate temp. It just kept cruising right past where I wanted to go. How do you stop it in the higher range?
5 -- I have three grades here of herb right now...superduper, average and regs. I am very familiar with my superduper and regs, but had not smoked the average until last night. I started with the regs last night because I am familiar with them and I didn't want to cut my teeth using good stuff. Should I expect a different high from vaping herb than from smoking the same herb?

Thanks guys! I will check in throughout the day and give it another go tonight. Hopefully you will have had time to answer my q's by then!

On a side note, clearly my issues are with not knowing what the hell I am doing. The unit itself is pretty cool! I like the lights, the display and how small it is. I thought it was going to be bigger. I have no problem sitting this unit on my desk at home with the potpourrie on it. I have three kids and they didn't even notice it. The buttons have a little bit of a cheap feel to them, but everything seems to be working as billed. The unit overall feels very solid and it does a great job of keeping hot surfaces out of reach. I had the unit set on 50C during the day yesterday with the potpourrie on it and it didn't smell up the room...maybe this is because of the difference between actual temp and the heating temp? I really like the company. My unit took a week to get to me from Ontario to Florida. I was getting anxious and impatient, but Steve at the company answered my every email the day I sent them. Also, I was in a hurry so I used the BuyItNow option on eBay instead of waiting another four days to get a better price at auction. Steve obviously understood my urgency, as he shipped it the same day.

stickstones,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
OK, disregard question #4. I just played with the menu and found how to change the temp. It's cool that you can set the temp to a place where it will always fire up to when you turn it on.

Anyone know what temp I should have it at to warm the potpourrie to a level where it smells the place up?

stickstones,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom