Energy monitors for your AC-powered vaporizer (Kill-A-Watt, Hampton, etc.)

JCat

Accessory Maker
I'm using mine at 22-23 watts! I find it's perfect at that setting ... either my meter's reading low or I prefer lower temperatures than most on here :)

Edit: It's 49W at 100% so seems like my meter is accurate. 22-23W it is for me and I find that to be ideal ... this is routhly 80-90% of a visible dial back from 100%.

JCat,

mnd99

Contemplating buying the Honeywell Febreze Tower Fan and setting it next to the Sub for the flash vape process - seems to leave lingering odour that doesn't allow for one to be stealthy at a moment's notice if need be....

Any other suggestions for something that'll suck in the vapour that is released into the atmosphere?

So it's a really smelly one huh :D I hear some people like the smell but not the most stealthy of devices, I see....Have you had any experience with the Honeywell thingy? Does it work? :D Any other suggestions anyone?

mnd99,

CheeseSandwich

finally got my kill a watt...mine is 53 watts at max, the spot I usually have it set to is 30 watts.

edit: actually more like 35 watts, 30 was a little to low for my usual use.

2nd edit : ok, obviously I need more time with it, lol. I'm at 40 now, but still not dark enough abv

CheeseSandwich,
Reactions: Tweek

Tweek

I will have to check my max, but I believe it is in the 53 watt range as well. I am really loving it at 25 watts. Plan to take the lighter duff and make some butter. I used to always have to vape alot darker for the same effects, it feels.

Tweek,

hassan

Connoisseur
finally got my kill a watt...mine is 53 watts at max, the spot I usually have it set to is 30 watts.

edit: actually more like 35 watts, 30 was a little to low for my usual use.

2nd edit : ok, obviously I need more time with it, lol. I'm at 40 now, but still not dark enough abv

I'm intrigued by the numbers you are posting.

I'm trying to figure out whether the variation is from sublimator to sublimator, or if your energy reader is showing you higher values than mine?

Is it possible that you are looking at the power produced column rather than actual wattage? On my reader I can get multiple settings - one of them looks to be about 10 or so higher at every level than the actual wattage - perhaps you're looking at that and reporting those numbers?

The reason I ask is because I guarantee you if I were to set my sub to 40W - I would be combusting - and I'd have been combusting at about 32 in all likelihood.

Let me know. :-)

hassan,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So far it looks to me as though the Hampton reads ~5W lower than a Kill-A-Watt. The Hampton has several displays but the one you want has the little W.

pakalolo,

hassan

Connoisseur
So far it looks to me as though the Hampton reads ~5W lower than a Kill-A-Watt. The Hampton has several displays but the one you want has the little W.

Paka - where do you find you're using your Sub - on the Hampton?

I have a Hampton as well.

I find that whilst I can end up getting a nice buzz out of a 25-26W - I tend to use it at about 28-29W because that's where the ABV is at its darkest without any sign of combustion.

hassan,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Paka - where do you find you're using your Sub - on the Hampton?

I have a Hampton as well.

I find that whilst I can end up getting a nice buzz out of a 25-26W - I tend to use it at about 28-29W because that's where the ABV is at its darkest without any sign of combustion.

I'm on Maui for the summer so I only used it once with the Hampton before I left. We tried 25W first and got nice medium brown ABV. At 30W we got some combustion, so I think yours and mine are identical. 28-29W is about as high as I'd take it, but I found it difficult to adjust to that reading because the slightest touch of the dial made it jump from 25 or so to 30 or even more. The Sub really needs a better power control.

CheeseSandwich

I can get hits that are semi satisfying at 25 watts, but to have the abv done like a nice chocolate brown I had it at 42 watts. Yes, watts, im pretty sure I'm reading it correctly.

edit: So just did another session and 40 watts +/- a few watts seems to be my go to setting. When i have it set lower, the abv isn't dark enough for my liking. As well, it takes too long to cloud up my bong, on 40 its almost instant, which is my preference. No combustion issues either. :shrug:

CheeseSandwich,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
just got my killawatt, plugged in the Sub, and it's bouncing between 34 and 35 watts for my current setting. Just a hair of a turn and it drops to 32 which is the bottom of my sweet spot marked on the dial. I've noticed ambient temp definitely effects the performance a bit, when I turned the fan on to cool the room, I had to turn up the sub just a hair or two on the dial was running at 32 in warmer room temps, fan on requires 34-35 to keep things going the way I like it. I had thoughts of insulating the lower portion of the cone part (above the handle) with some high temp resistant silicone tubing I have, with a pretty thick wall. I might test that out next time I let it cool off. It would act as an insulator and a bumper guard for avoiding burns.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
My abv is med brown, if I push it much higher it scorches too easily. I am trying to master the one hit right now, so I don't have to sit here and over cook the load trying to get it all out. The small measuring spoons are helping, I posted about them in the Sub thread. Its easy to just toss a big pinch in there, and the 1/4 teaspoon scoop I was using was a little large and easy to over load.

Maxed power reads 61 watts

hassan

Connoisseur
It's interesting; all these new readings are giving a lot of credence to Pakalolo's theory (that the Kill-A-Watt produces readings 5W higher than the Hampton).

However - Tweek seems to be an anomaly?

Also - I find that it doesn't necessarily matter how big your load is, if you go in for a second hoot, there will be the teeniest bit of vapour that is produced - and the harder you inhale, the more visible that vapour will be coming up the glass...

I don't think you can 100% purge a bowl in one hit - 95% or so most certainly.

hassan,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Maxed power reads 61 watts

That seems high, Jam. Mine maxes out at 49w or so. Are you sure you were reading the watts?

I've been walking mine up slowly to A) determine my favorite sweet spot and B) determine when combustion occurs for me. I'm up to 32w and haven't combusted yet.

:peace:

Stu,
Reactions: hassan

hassan

Connoisseur
Stu - sounds a lot more like the readings I am used to - I too was very surprised to read jam and Cheese's reported readings - can't imagine setting mine to 40W and not having only ash left in the Atomizer.

I believe my max reading is about 49W as well - I'll check later and confirm.

hassan,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Yep, checked it again, it says Watts on the screen and jumped to 62 this time, but staying in the 61 range. My numbers are all over the place, it doesn't just settle on a number, it moves a few tenths of a point up and down.

jambandphan03,

CheeseSandwich

ya, it seems there may not be a consensus of readings/temps...at least we can all get our own sense of where we want to be easily. My meter is jumpy as well...doesnt settle on one number

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Somebody summon OF, quick! He can surely explain this disparity.

:peace:

Stu,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I think members should center their goals on simply using the meter as a source to fine-tune 'their own' use as I do ( for me it's 27-28w for flowers, 29-31w for dabs with my meter, and my Sub), since the inexpensive meters are bound to have varied results AND the Sub will have a variance between units as well seeing it doesn't have any electronics to control heat.

If individual better accuracy is wanted, the only way to achieve it would be a high quality meter (they aint cheap), and there wouldn't be any group reading consistency due to what I mentioned above with the Sub units.

That's what ' I've ' settled on... and I think your going to drive yourselves crazy trying to find a 'common' user reading number to go by.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
^^ I agree, and really I was just curious to see where the wattage is on my settings. Will be good if we ever run through an inverter on battery power etc to know how much juice is being pulled. It still doesn't change that I will be going by the marks I made with a sharpie.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
so I am wondering what would cause my numbers to be constantly changing, does the Sub not pull a steady current? My # has been 34.6, 34.2, 34.8, 35.1, 34.7, etc... it just constantly changes on the screen. Is this my wattage reader wigging out or the Sub not pulling a steady draw?

jambandphan03,

satyrday

Mine does the same. I think it's just the nature of an AC device that's not all computer controlled and locked down. Things like incandescent light bulbs waver slightly also (slight flicker). Those are pretty small variances anyhow.

Top Bottom