Ed's TnT Wooden Vapor Tubes & Vapor Stems

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Took a little time prepping for tomorrow. Started ripping out the bog oak blanks and had to turn one.

20131008_175304_zpsee7808d4.jpg

also made a WW stem as a custom order. Was fun to make. Its just a slimmed down zap stem, fits nicely in the WW.

here's a pic of a few exotic lb stems I made last week. Hoping to make some bog oak lb stems soon.

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Took a little time prepping for tomorrow. Started ripping out the bog oak blanks and had to turn one.

20131008_175304_zpsee7808d4.jpg

also made a WW stem as a custom order. Was fun to make. Its just a slimmed down zap stem, fits nicely in the WW.

here's a pic of a few exotic lb stems I made last week. Hoping to make some bog oak lb stems soon.

Is that a notched channel I see on that Bog Oak?!!!:rockon:

Snappo,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Got my Launch Box stem this morning! I think it arrived yesterday because the mail doesn't run at 11am and it doesn't leave it on my desk :lol: Ordered Monday I believe, I was expecting it maybe today but probably tomorrow.

It's kind of hard to get a good picture of the stem details. It's one of the tiger maple stems to match my LB, and it's got a bunch of awesome stripes on it going horizontally. I can count 11 different shadows/stripes on it of varying sizes.

I love it!! :love:

rBnEVBe.jpg

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Hello and good afternoon all! I have been busy finishing the Bog Oak Solo Stems the last couplea days, that and cutting grass hopefully for the last time this year. Its starting to feel alot like fall here in the South. Temps are dropping into the low 60's and upper 50's at night which is awesome first thing in the morning. I didnt get as much as I woulda like to get done but did accomplish alot.

Snappo, I hate to say it bro but you do not see channels in the side of the bushing like we talked about. I did give a good try. Its a tough task! The milling bits are super small at only 3/32" wide. The bits themselves are tough but not that tough. I have to mill the notches from side to side by hand. I put the bushing into the vice, crank up the mill and by hand slide the bushing from right to left, or left to right, I tried it both ways. I broke 3 bits and said to hell with it, that cost me quite a bit. I wasnt able to make it happen with the bits I have. I may try again when I find some other bits that maybe stronger. Thing is these bits arent cheap! The ones I am using are $17 each and go up from there. I do hope you feel me bro, I have you a Bog Oak shorty and it will ship first thing Monday morning. I hope this will work for you and look to hear from you soon.

Aezhenn, thanks for the kind words bro and for stopping by! I do appreciate your interest in my pics and my hard work! I like to show what I am working sometimes, its alota fun doing what I do and working wood in the shop. I like that I can share what makes me happy and am able to offer these pieces to others to make them happy. Thats what its all about! I do my best to offer a unique quality product that others will enjoy, doing that is the best, to get some awesome feedback like Quetzalcoatl posted above makes me the happiest guy! Pls let me know if I can ever do anything for you in the future.

Quetzalcoatl, I am glad you got your piece already. I am really glad you like it and are happy with it! It is hard to really capture the stripes in the grain of that species. I have really tried myself. Like I said above bro, I really appreciate the feedback! If you are happy, I am happy! I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

I will be listing the Bog Oak Solo stems in the morning. I have a few things to do this evening and wont be able to get to it. I will also be offering some Bog Oak Shorty Solo Stems as well! I only have a couplea three so if you want one you better jump on em. I am gonna have some new pics of the pieces posted also. Its been a while since I have been able to offer these and dont have many of them. I have had alot of interest in this species and am glad I was able to make these happen. Keep an eye out for em in the morning and they will ship first thing Monday morning.

Vito, good eye man, hope all is well your way. Thanks for stopping by man, I wish you the best!

Last edited:

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Snappo, I hate to say it bro but you do not see channels in the side of the bushing like we talked about. I did give a good try. Its a tough task! The milling bits are super small at only 3/32" wide. The bits themselves are tough but not that tough. I have to mill the notches from side to side by hand. I put the bushing into the vice, crank up the mill and by hand slide the bushing from right to left, or left to right, I tried it both ways. I broke 3 bits and said to hell with it, that cost me quite a bit. I wasnt able to make it happen with the bits I have. I may try again when I find some other bits that maybe stronger. Thing is these bits arent cheap! The ones I am using are $17 each and go up from there. I do hope you feel me bro, I have you a Bog Oak shorty and it will ship first thing Monday morning. I hope this will work for you and look to hear from you soon.
No problem, Ed...I really appreciate that you tried. Can't wait to use my new Bog Oak shorty!!!

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Thanks for your understanding Snappo!

Bog Oak Solo Stems are live at my website and can be purchased through my shopping cart!

BOSoloChoppedOutPNG_zpsb7ac12cd.png

Bog Oak Shorty 3"

BOSoloShortyChoppedOutPNG_zps1dc41698.png

I got that lumber in I ordered also! I really like this bunch of wood I got this time, especially the zebrawood. I cant wait to make some dugouts from it!

DSC00817_zpsd77cb204.jpg

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
Hello Ed and everyone else. Just started poking around for accessories now that I got a solo, and found these wooden stems.

Now, I appreciate the work that goes into these, the beauty of the wood, and the fact that these are indestructible compared to the stock glass units.. however I have questions about the other aspects.

How is the taste? I see people complaining that taste took a hit in the newer solo units because they changed the ceramic bowl for a steel one. Wouldn't the same be true of the metal cap on these stems?

Does the wood impart smell or flavor?

I assume the metal end will get hotter than the glass units?

How is the draw on these? I find the stock ones to be too restrictive and was looking at the PVHE stem to remedy this.

Cleaning?

I appreciate your time in answering these questions and also if you can think of anything else press feel free to let me know!

Caligula,
Reactions: Ed's TnT

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Hello Ed and everyone else. Just started poking around for accessories now that I got a solo, and found these wooden stems.

Now, I appreciate the work that goes into these, the beauty of the wood, and the fact that these are indestructible compared to the stock glass units.. however I have questions about the other aspects.

How is the taste? I see people complaining that taste took a hit in the newer solo units because they changed the ceramic bowl for a steel one. Wouldn't the same be true of the metal cap on these stems?

Does the wood impart smell or flavor?

I assume the metal end will get hotter than the glass units?

How is the draw on these? I find the stock ones to be too restrictive and was looking at the PVHE stem to remedy this.

Cleaning?

I appreciate your time in answering these questions and also if you can think of anything else press feel free to let me know!
I find that the flavor of the wood (barely detectable) is pleasant and doesn't adversely affect flavor in the least. Draw effort is as good as PVHES. Draw temp may be a tad warmer but not uncomfortable for me. The metal ring gets very hot, and extends more to the Solo screw cap than the glass stems (I do not find this objectionable, it's just a harmless fact IMO). Cleaning over time can be done with a DRY Q-tip or twisted paper towel inserted down into the stem (how easy is that?). DO NOT SOAK IN ISO. Looks are sensational! Snug fit. Unbreakable. Transportable. I have no bones to pick over this product...it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
Hmmm if only they could make a wooden WT... also how exactly are you using those Omicron tips on your solo?

Caligula,

Caligula

Maximus
That's what I figured, I just didn't think they would stretch that wide. I'll have to try that, seems it'll feel better than the bare glass

Caligula,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
That's what I figured, I just didn't think they would stretch that wide. I'll have to try that, seems it'll feel better than the bare glass
It takes a bit of work, but they do fit.

Snappo,

Caligula

Maximus
Hmmm.. are you using These on the stock stems? Draw is already tight with the wide opening for the mouth.

Caligula,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Snappo,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
I find that the flavor of the wood (barely detectable) is pleasant and doesn't adversely affect flavor in the least. Draw effort is as good as PVHES. Draw temp may be a tad warmer but not uncomfortable for me. The metal ring gets very hot, and extends more to the Solo screw cap than the glass stems (I do not find this objectionable, it's just a harmless fact IMO). Cleaning over time can be done with a DRY Q-tip or twisted paper towel inserted down into the stem (how easy is that?). DO NOT SOAK IN ISO. Looks are sensational! Snug fit. Unbreakable. Transportable. I have no bones to pick over this product...it's all good as far as I'm concerned.
Nice combo, great fit!!!
wapz5y.jpg

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Hello Caligula, and thank you for your interest in my work. I hope Snappo's info was helpful. He is spot on with all his input! I only have a couple three of the blackwood left for a little while. I just got some more lumber in and have to work it up before I will have more. I hope you have seen the Bog Oak, those are really rare and are quite popular. If you get this order in soon it will ship first thing Tuesday morning. Columbus day is Monday and I dont think the PO is open.

Thanks for all your help Snappo, you are the man!

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Hey Ed ... do you plan on having more bocote mflb stems in stock in the near future?

MileHighLife,

vakedcow

Gentle cow vaper and halloween kiddo
Ed, thanks for the info, was able to order a bog oak stem !
(First order from my mobile I believe, just away in the mountains with a handicapped people excursion.. saw the thread alert mail, checked and bingo ... feel lucky that one can handle all that from a smartphone nowadays)

Now:
Anticipation for a piece of art to arrive

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
You did good Vcow, thanks for the biz and I look forward to your thoughts of this piece! It ships out first thing Tuesday morning.

Thanks for stopping by dragon and for leaving the post. I am glad you are enjoying your piece!

Ed's TnT,
Top Bottom