Ed's TnT Wooden Vapor Tubes & Vapor Stems

Grim Chiclets

Just out of curiosity, have you seen any of the Pinnacle Pro thread? Someone may have asked already, but have you considered/made a stem/mp for it? I can only imagine it being glorious haha

Grim Chiclets,
Reactions: Ed's TnT

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
@Grim Chiclets Hello and thank you for stopping by, I have not been asked to do anything with the Pinnacle Pro, I have heard of it but have never really looked into it. Is it something you would want to have done? I appreciate your interest in my work and if you like lets talk more about your idea.

@RUDE BOY I have heard from one other member here at FC that also used one of my wooden MFLB stems with the FV, seems like they went about it the same way you did. I am glad to hear its working well for you. I should have my own FV here sometime next week, I am figuring I can make a stem for it that will fit nice and snug so you would not need the shrink wrap. What I hear its just slightly larger than the LB stems, I can turn those all day long. Thanks for the post RB, I wish you well!

Grim Chiclets

@Grim Chiclets Hello and thank you for stopping by, I have not been asked to do anything with the Pinnacle Pro, I have heard of it but have never really looked into it. Is it something you would want to have done? I appreciate your interest in my work and if you like lets talk more about your idea.
Haha it's more of a curiosity now as I'm trading my PnP soon :shrug:
But for other users' sake, I'm sure at least a few people- the guy I'm swapping with included- would likely be pretty interested in what you could come up with. I mean for real, that Ascent piece is gorgeous, it makes me want to get an Ascent..

edit: I figure to start with you could think maybe something similar to the Solo stems, but with a shorter retaining ring, but also with a thinner tube tapered up, if you're interested in my ideas for a mouthpiece and WonG, feel free to PM me

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Ed...you might want to check out the last ten pages or so of the PNP thread. One member made his own wood mouthpiece, which is what is sparking the interest here.

stickstones,
Reactions: Vitolo

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Alright, with a little poke, my guy that turned me onto the ascent really digs the outer wooden stem I created but mentioned that I really needed to do something with the inside glass stem. He said many of his customers were having issues with dropping the ascent or hitting it against something and would break the internal glass stem more so than the outer one, he says its very fragile. I took mine apart and gave it some thought while I was turning solo stems, thats when I do my best thinking when I am standing over the lathe. I got the dimensions of the glass and wondered what I would use for a filter. The internal glass stem has a cone kinda glass that protrudes from the end of the stem with 4 tiny holes in it. So I turned a tiny wooden stem that would fit the inside the bottom of the unit and also slide up into the outer wooden stem which is slid in from the top end. It all had to fit just right. My problem was still the filter, what would I use. I thought of using some cotton and gave it a try with what I had done. The cotton was little restrictive and would not allow enough air to pass through the stem. I then figured why the hell cant I use a simple SS mesh screen as a filter. Just so happens that I got a 1/2" screen and folded it slightly pushed it up into the rubber part of the unit just on top of the bottom of the stem. This allowed for a considerable amount of airflow, more so than using strictly the glass stems. I ran it a couple of cycles and was impressed by how the wood was acting. I got some solid hits, no big clouds but substantial hits, I was coughing a little and got a nice buzz. I used Cocobolo cause I have an bunch of it at the moment, but intended on using a really dense wood like my solo stems. I wanted the wood not to affect the flavor of the herb and feel that super dense woods do the best at this. They seem to still have an earthy feeling to them when in use but in no way take anything away from the experience.

You will see in the pics below the two stems side by side, the one on the left is the inner stem, it has the same size draw hole in it as the inner glass stem and is almost as long. The one on the right is the outer stem it too has the same size draw hole in it as the glass stem and is the same length. The OD of the inner stem is so close to the ID of the outer stem, its slides up into the outer stem with no hesitation for a nice fit. The outer stem has two rings in the top of it that will allow you to lift it out of the unit using your finger nails.

2014-03-06051405_zps509d2f95.jpg

You can see here in this next pic where I placed a simple fine mesh screen into the unit where the end of the glass stem would go with its filter and 4 holes. The screen allows for more airflow and much better hits IMO. The screen seems to stay in place and doesnt want to go anywhere, it just sits snug and holds itself there.

2014-03-06050639_zpsd8212969.jpg

I intend on using African Blackwood as I mentioned earlier. Its super dense and I would say more so than the Cocobolo. It has a super sleek finish that I am awful fond of and makes a great match with the unit. I have a few pieces of it and figured if the Cocobolo worked well the Blackwood will be even better. I hope you all like what I have done, it was fun to make and was a nice challenge.

2014-03-06050611_zpsd2e301e8.jpg

Pls share your thoughts and spread the word! I would like to hear what you all think!

AnnaHigh

I see one problem-screen may move and get stuck when you open the camera to reboot or cleaning.

AnnaHigh,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
The screen will move if you push down on the inner stem but will more or less stay in place under normal use or at least it did for me even when opening and closing the bottom door to load and reload.

Grim Chiclets

The screen will move if you push down on the inner stem but will more or less stay in place under normal use or at least it did for me even when opening and closing the bottom door to load and reload.
I could envision it looking even slicker, if you could snug the screen in over the edges of the tube and basically end up with this kind of look-
IMG_20140216_032126270_HDR1.jpg

Just on the bottom
(also that was my very first attempt at a PnP stem, don't make them like that haha)

Grim Chiclets,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

AnnaHigh

If you press down on the inner stem that can block the opening of the lower chamber. I did it with original glass

AnnaHigh,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Beautiful work as always Ed, might that blackwood solo shorty be my order? Super excited to try it out!

For the Ascent stems, would it not be possible to just fully replicate the glass stem's cone shape and filter holes? Maybe even improving the filter by adding more/smaller holes (remember reading about people saying they could get clogged, or pull through bud, so more of a sprinkler design could work well), or even making the cone shape but leaving it open and then clipping in a mesh screen like with the solo stems perhaps.

Ah really wish I had an Ascent even more now so I could try these as well!

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Ed's TnT

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
As a matter of fact that Blackwood Solo Shorty is yours! It will be shipping out first thing Monday morning. I hope you enjoy using it and look forward to your thoughts of my work.

It may be possible to replicate the cone shaped filter of the glass stem in the wood. The small holes may be a problem though, the smaller they are the easier they would become clogged from resin and may be hard to clean. As the wooden stems are now, the outer stem could be cleaned easily by simply soaking the end of a cotton swab in ISO and squeezing out the excess then push through the stem, then let it dry. The inner stem could be cleaned similarly by using a bristled pipe cleaner, soak it in ISO and squeeze out the excess then push through it also, let dry and your all good.

Get you an ascent and I'd be more than happy for you to try the stems.

Sonics420

I have an ascent and I would be ready to purchase one in a heartbeat. Looks amazing, great work once again!

You are right about the glass, mine broke the 1st week I had it, something like this would ease my mind a little when I'm out and about with my ascent..

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
@Sonics420 Thanks for stopping by and the kind words bro! Holla at me via email/ed@edstnt.com and lets talk about getting you a set. Not sure anyone knows about these or not, pls spread the word for me!

Ed's TnT,
Reactions: Vitolo

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Pls share your thoughts and spread the word! I would like to hear what you all think!

I'm here because Sticks posted to the Ascent thread. Those look awesome!

1. How easy are those to clean and/or do recovery on? Wood is porous, and I'd imagine and Everclear bath would only dry the wood in the long run.

2. Any impact on flavor? On of the many reasons for glass is flavor. Does the wood impart its own to the heated air? Or is it neutral?

I then figured why the hell cant I use a simple SS mesh screen as a filter.

Because it's not glass. Just sayin'....
:)

nigel,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
@nigel thanks for stopping by, 1st off I feel the wood is easy to clean. The outer stem has a rather large draw hole, its the same size as the hole in the glass stem. You could simply dip a cotton swab in some ISO and squeeze out the excess then swab the inside of the stem. Neither stem should ever be soaked in any liquid. I used Cocobolo in the pics you saw, it is really dense and I feel that the denser the wood the less porous it is and easier it would be to swab it out. I just ordered $500 worth of African Blackwood, its really dense and I would say more so than the Cocobolo. I wanna use it to make stems for the Ascent, it will match the units nicely and has a lustrous finish to it that really pops! The inner stem has the same draw hole as the inner glass stem, its rather small and could easily be cleaned by pushing through a bristled pipe cleaner. I feel the wood is very neutral as far as flavor goes. I have run the stems through a few sessions and did not notice any difference in flavor. Some folks that use my Solo stems and MFLB stems say that there is an earthy feel when using them. The wood has a slight subtle difference, if it makes sense I think the wood kinda crisps the vapor. When the stems have been used a few times they will have some buildup that will seal the inside of it and shouldnt impart any wood flavors. I hope I have been helpful and if you have any other questions pls ask! Thanks again for the post and I wish you all the best!

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Why that just sounds delicious.

How much would something like this set a person back?

I am still trying to figure #'s and costs of the pieces. They do take some time to make, each has to be precise and fit within each other without hesitation. You would think for $500 you would get alot of wood for that but thats not the case with the Blackwood, its not cheap stuff and is getting more expensive since I first started buying it. Hang in there with me and let me sleep on it, I will come up with a price and let you know soon.

Top Bottom