almost there

^^^^this, exactly.
Drilling/filing/grinding/breaking rare earth magnets is definitely not a good idea!
I've read that once particles are freed from the magnet by these methods, their own mag field, combined with the very strong field of the main magnet often causes pieces to fly off at great speed.
It put an end to my thoughts of 'adjusting' magnets for projects.

I concur on the glue too.
I've had success with just PVA glue on one of my own experimental stashes that I've deliberately over tightened to see how difficult it would be to fix.
Working fine several weeks later, and I suspect that I may even be able to simply repeat the process of the lid becomes loose again.

Deffo don't drill the magnet though.
A vey thin blade slid down between magnet and wood could be less risky?

Is the magnet really too weak for you @almost there ?
Mine are all pretty strong.

In all honesty I have always (with no intention of changing) just plucked the cap off with my bare fingers. Back in the day when I only had 1 vapcap I didn't even have the $5 for the magnet so it was bare hands from the start. I don't even take the dynastash out of the house but the OCD in me just gets tickled because the dynastash has to be completely horizontal or the vapcap would fall off if held at an angle. Not a big deal at all but just a little itch I'm trying to get at:lol:

Chiron

Also to repair screw holes you want to fill the hole with a tooth pick and wood glue.

This... I had a long post written about how I repair door hinge, window, trim mounts made of wood moulded in my nice old fibreglass camping trailer. I shave larger slivers off of a 2 x 4, mix up some 5 minute epoxy, and stuff the hole with lightly glued sticks. After it gets close to dry, trim and sand flush with the surface, and re-drill a pilot hole. Downsizing to the stash repair would be what wine gum says.

Glen

mrb

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
This is the bigger concern when there's flammable dust around the workshop, also it's very hard on the drill bit. What can and has happened to me is that the filings can pile up/stick together THEN catch fire and normally it's after you're done working and walk away.

Interesting!

I've drilled several small rare earths with out ever seeing any where near that level of molten action. (Low rpm used)
Not really sure what drill bit is being used in that video, but the rpm seems high and the videos intent seems to be to show/make the melting/molten effect.

I'd rather drill out the magnet on my stash than risk damaging the wood around it by prying/cutting it out from the edge.

The tooth pick idea to fill the dynastash screw hole is a strong suggestion :tup: but def has the possibility of splitting the stash along the screw hole when the screw is re-inserted..
Filing the hole with any hard substance creates this possibility, unless you re-drill. But then you need to be sure you drill accurately (straight) as well as select the perfect sized drill bit, or things could end up just as bad or worse.

Gorilla glue, or any glue would be needed in this case more as a flexible filler to reduce the hole width rather than as a bonding agent, but it seems our opinion on the quality of bond it can provide differs any way..

There are now multiple opinions and suggestions. Good luck to the DIYers in deciding what to do. I hope you have success.
Sorry if my information is flawed, I'm only suggesting things I've successfully achieved myself.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Ya know, I need some Walla in my life. Is there a website you can order it? I keep hearing about it and occasionally seeing it being used and I just want some.

And just to be clear I want the good Walla. None of this, "Yeah, I hit that pothole pretty hard and Walla, I had a flat." None of that shit.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
eF8S4U2.jpg

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Is that like Makan Whoopie?

(More coffee I think)

OK, back on track. My cellphone told me that my DynaPackage has arrived at my local post office so it will be here tomorrow. My order wasn't complete until very near the end of the sale so it looks like most packages (US at least) should be arriving soon if they haven't yet.

Actually I take it back. I just checked and my order was placed on 4/20 and the sale didn't end until 4/22 so there are probably still a few days for some.

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Interesting!

I've drilled several small rare earths with out ever seeing any where near that level of molten action. (Low rpm used)
Not really sure what drill bit is being used in that video, but the rpm seems high and the videos intent seems to be to show/make the melting/molten effect.
I agree that they're making it more dramatic than it is if you're careful. It's most likely to happen when fine particles are produced.

I'd rather drill out the magnet on my stash than risk damaging the wood around it by prying/cutting it out from the edge.
I agree, another option I can think of is drilling a small hole in the other side and pushing the magnet out.

The tooth pick idea to fill the dynastash screw hole is a strong suggestion :tup: but def has the possibility of splitting the stash disc the screw hole when the screw is re-inserted.
Usually the soft Birch toothpick compresses down into almost nothing against the sides and becomes the new threads. I haven't had something split out this way but it is possible.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Actually I take it back. I just checked and my order was placed on 4/20 and the sale didn't end until 4/22 so there are probably still a few days for some.
I ordered on 420 during the chaotic 40% off, still no word. But I’m not complaining, I know I’ll be taken care of in due time.

I ordered from a small business during the most chaotic time of year for them, of course it’s gunna take time.

Dutchem

I had the same issue a while ago, you need to take a bit of fine sandingpaper and widen the bore in the centre and the lip that houses the oring close to your mouth.
Only takes a little, assuming your mouthpiece is from wood.
Yup wooden mouthpiece. Originally it wouldn't turn after Vaping but would after a few twists of the mouthpiece. Will try boring it out. Thanks

mourningbell

Certified human
I ordered on 420 during the chaotic 40% off, still no word. But I’m not complaining, I know I’ll be taken care of in due time.

I ordered from a small business during the most chaotic time of year for them, of course it’s gunna take time.

I ordered an Omni XL on 4/20.. it shipped yesterday.

At least I can take this time to further learn the elusive skill of patience.

StringTheorista

do you use it on wood, metal, glass or carbon ?
It seems that I now found a XL condenser that can be used with my Ti-Mp.
no more scratching noise with this one.

will be a nice a gift
Just got it today. It’s on my cocobolo nonavong stem at the moment. I don’t find the sound of the spinning annoying, but get how it could be.

olivianewtonjohn

I believe someone said they found the DV magnet to be weak/weaker than the replacement
they had found.

I put another DV magnet on mine, and could not (with some difficulty) pry it off. :ko:

Could a wood burning flat tip solder tool be used to soften the adhesive underneath. :\

Chat them up. Nice friendly folk—especially when it comes to ladies

WHOOPS 2 much Java howdy, Mods! :doh:

Are you referring to me as I just posted or are you saying someone else ran into the same problem?

I thought of using 2 magnets stacked and really like it BUT I wonder if it would damage the clicking discs as a hot disc clicks really fast with 2 magnets. This also has me wondering how a single magnet might affect it over time as well.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Hey @mephisto, @Drexciya just PM'd me to thank me for a small offer I made in the wake of his bad luck with the authorities, but said that he felt he should turn the offers down!
I think he's feeling guilty re' getting caught :doh:!
Although it shows great restraint to turn us down, and he's clearly a 'civilised' man, I'd like to persuade him to take us up on the offers we made.
(sorry, can't remember who else offered help, and I'm out and about so can't look back through thread:ugh:)

Was it an XLS you were going to gift him?

C'mon Drex, make the most of this :cheers:

It'll soften the financial blow :cool:

Drexciya

Homage to the Deepsea Dwellers
I've started to reach out to everybody today that offered help in one way or another. I am not done with this as I have to reread all the messages from that event to make sure I have not missed any. And I have to focus a bit on work as well but Let me share for now that I feel humbled being among such great people.

Top Bottom