Do you like coffee?

Maitri

Deadhead, Low-Temp Dabber, Mahayana Buddhist
I just find that I use more coffee per cup with the Aeropress than any other method that I have used and I've used many.

Ah, got it. Thanks! :)

I go back and forth between inverted and non-inverted, between paper filters and the metal disk. For me, it's kinda like going through vaporizer rotations.

Heh, speaking of vaping, I was just thinking about how I could use my eNail to precisely heat my coffee water to the perfect temperature. :)

Maitri,

lwien

Heh, speaking of vaping, I was just thinking about how I could use my eNail to precisely heat my coffee water to the perfect temperature. :)

I use this...........it's got programmable presets for different temps:

tIbNx79.png

killick

But I like it!
I use the aeropress for loose leaf teas too. It makes awesome everything! There's a travel kit option available, and everything fits inside a metal 'cup', which als9o has a neoprene sleeve for insulation.

killick,

lwien

Never thought about the AP for tea. Is it better than using one of those little small gold cones for steeping tea?

lwien,
Reactions: killick

GetLeft

Finally ordered an AP. Not overly impressed after my virgin voyage. But I'm still up so it's safe to say it delivers on the caffeine end of things.

I'm not criticising. It's a cool machine and beats a french press hands down even after just one cup.

But hey it took two scoops for that one (almost strong) cup. That's too rich for my blood since I buy decent coffee and that runs me enough. Granted it wasn't a super fine grind.

But I'll give it's credit as far as an americano style coffee. It does that nicely. A nice clean fresh full cup of coffee. Tomorrow I'll see what I can do as far as the strong department goes.

GetLeft,
Reactions: killick

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Finally ordered an AP. Not overly impressed after my virgin voyage. But I'm still up so it's safe to say it delivers on the caffeine end of things.

I'm not criticising. It's a cool machine and beats a french press hands down even after just one cup.

But hey it took two scoops for that one (almost strong) cup. That's too rich for my blood since I buy decent coffee and that runs me enough. Granted it wasn't a super fine grind.

But I'll give it's credit as far as an americano style coffee. It does that nicely. A nice clean fresh full cup of coffee. Tomorrow I'll see what I can do as far as the strong department goes.
I wasn't too impressed with mine right away either but a while later and I'm liking it more. Not sure what exactly I changed... I don't really measure out my coffee but have been these last 4ish weeks and have only had my AP these last two, finding that 20 grams is ideal for me. With my pourover I use 18-22 depending. Haven't used my french press in some time to be honest.

As far as strength goes I think the AP will be more limiting than a french press simply due to size/volume constraints. You'll be able to get more coffee and more water into a french press to make the coffee stronger. AP is more like one serving at a time which I actually enjoy more as it fits my irregular coffee drinking habits better.

What I'm finding is a good recipe for my particular beans (a darker roast than I tend to like, but a very good one, from a local place) setting it up to use it in the "inverted" method. I find 30 grams a bit much, like I said I've narrowed it down to 20 grams for these particular beans, but if you're looking for something else you'll probably want to use more or less depending. Anyways, what I do is put the thing together, grounds go in and then some water does as well, give it a 10 second stir and then let it bloom for 20 seconds. Add the rest of the water in slowly while stirring over the next 15-20 seconds until full, then put the cap on and let it sit there like that for a minute. At the 2 minutes from first adding water point, I flip and start pressing it out, ending at 2:30 seconds. Yes, I time it. Yes, I time my quartz nail cooldown too... :mental:

lwien

Ya may want to try one of these for a change of pace: http://www.amazon.com/Filter-Origin...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

lwien,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I love my inverted AP. I'll use that extra coffee: I grind my own just before brew. I use a corser grain than espresso, but not as corse as drip. I buy coffee at Costco ($5/lb), and then I repackage the beans in quart Mason jars - it keeps fresh: you can tell by the degassing of CO2 when you pour hot water on the beans (it bubbles and foams). I grind approx 24 grams of bean per 12 oz cup. I don't mind mind spending 30 cents or so on beans for a decent cup. I use a filter like the one @lwien recommends - it allows the essential oils to pass through.

I no longer use my Pasquini Livia 90 semi-automatic. Now that goes through the beans.
livia.jpg

Last edited:

lwien

One of the great things about the AP is the wide array of brewing options that are available. Here's one from the manufacture of that SS disk that I posted above and it's kinda unique in that it calls for about half the amount of coffee that other AP methods recommend but also increases the brew time to 2.5 minutes. I just tried it out and while the color of the coffee wasn't as dark, it was actually tastier. Worth a try:
https://www.kaffeologie.com/blogs/journal/118899011-inverted-method-for-aeropress

lwien,

GetLeft

Tried the AP another couple of times this morning. The second time using the inverted method. Two level scoops, filled to 4. This time I let things sit a little longer and the coffee was ineed tasty. But got me barely half of my starbucks grande travel cup. I buy expensive coffee (@$12/lb. - organic, fairly traded) and don't think twice about throwing two rounded scoops into my chosen autodrip maker for two delicious (strongish) cups. It's been a nice experiment but tomorrow back to what suits my taste and style a little better.

GetLeft,

lwien

Tried the AP another couple of times this morning. The second time using the inverted method. Two level scoops, filled to 4. This time I let things sit a little longer and the coffee was ineed tasty. But got me barely half of my starbucks grande travel cup. I buy expensive coffee (@$12/lb. - organic, fairly traded) and don't think twice about throwing two rounded scoops into my chosen autodrip maker for two delicious (strongish) cups. It's been a nice experiment but tomorrow back to what suits my taste and style a little better.

Ya gotta experiment a bit with grind consistency and water temp. Making changes to these can have a huge impact on taste.

Really getting into honey processed coffee's, just finished two nice cups of Costa Rica Candellilla honey i roasted three days before.
Very, very good...
:)

Havelock Vetenari,
Reactions: macbill

Farid

So I've been a black tea guy for a while, since coffee has upset my stomach and made me feel nauseous in the past. A couple days ago I decided to get some cheap Italian espresso to try in my french press. I was surprised it doesn't make me nauseous the way regular coffee does. I can even drink it on an empty stomach, something which I can't do with black tea.

I read somewhere that darker roasts are easier on the stomach, is that what's at play here? Or maybe it's the decreased volume?

Farid,
Reactions: Snappo

crawdad

floatin
chicory with coffee every morning, one cup. take it black or with sugar and milk, but never cold. if i drink too much caffeine i get seriously dependent on it and debilitating migraines become a daily battle, so the mix of chicory and coffee keeps my intake low but enough to wake the hell up.

grokit

well-worn member
So I've been a black tea guy for a while, since coffee has upset my stomach and made me feel nauseous in the past. A couple days ago I decided to get some cheap Italian espresso to try in my french press. I was surprised it doesn't make me nauseous the way regular coffee does. I can even drink it on an empty stomach, something which I can't do with black tea.
I can't even drink green tea on an empty stomach, for me it's the tannins; I have no issues with coffee.

grokit,

GetLeft

Cleaning out my ma's home last weekend and my son came across an unused, entry level 'espresso' maker (boiler-steam style). I've lived in Europe and known the joy of a good cup of café negro (sin leche) but always guessed that pricey home versions wouldn't pan out. We brought the thing home anyway, hooked it up and damn, enjoyed a great cup of strong coffee. Decided that that's how I want to do my coffee all the time. Quick, powerful and tasty. Second day, I was wondering about the tank, which looked to my novice eyes a lot like aluminum, and figured I'd probably be best to read up before getting too far into things. Long story short, just purchased a Capresso EC Pro. I'm in for the long haul!

Shieldsab

I drank standard drip coffee for years. Got a grinder for Christmas a couple years ago I think, and now I have an aeropress, a French Press and two coffee grinders. And I spend 10 minutes finding just the right beans at the store when I run out.

Top Bottom