David Goldstein's Fritted Disc

The Rooster.

Glass Blower
yup. wasn't hard to find on FB. wanted to thank him and let him know he had a fan club. i wouldn't be too "suggesty" if one wanted to keep him around for long ;). he is dead serious about his patent as well. and very proud of his work. after hitting this thing, i can see why.

also here is a video for ya'll to enjoy
Apparently, I am a member now. Perhaps I will even figure out how to post. I really like your comment about not being too "suggesty."
We're trying to cover a big country, and there's not too many of us to do it. DG

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Apparently, I am a member now. Perhaps I will even figure out how to post. I really like your comment about not being too "suggesty."
We're trying to cover a big country, and there's not too many of us to do it. DG
no sweat Rooster. i can usually read a room pretty well; well, eventually i figure it out ;)

Dual Dabs Bob?
You're a madman! :science: ;)
thanks Fred ;) someone has to be :freak:

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Hot Damn, Welcome to FC Rooster :D
:bowdown:
I'm loving my Mini-Can Prototype :)
(perhaps you could shed some light on this for me, I picked it up on BoroMarket, and the seller said there were only about 10 Proto's floating around out there, does that sound right?)

@Bob
I thought I was daring when I went for dual solos through a Y adapter :lol:

EDIT:
Post 1,000:party:

Welcome, glad to have ya. Were a pretty friendly forum. Not much for us to bite you about as your product is marvelous. Glass guys get treated very well here probably mainly due too there isn't hundreds of little parts that can malfunction like some vaporizers.
Thanks for coming. By the way, I love my mini can, and have a Rasta tube on the way. I hope your not going nowhere, because I would like more.
Edit: Also, if you didn't notice, you have quite the fan club here. 30 pages is 2 months rivals most of the mainstream vaporizers here.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Ok, so how many of us, as soon as we hit our 1st Fritter for the 1st time, instantly thought
"I must get another one of these"
*raises hand*

"Hi, my name is Frederick, I have Glass Collection Disorder"
:lol:

I shot NVS off an email on the morning of 7/10 there (dealing with timezones can get confusing after hitting the mini can :argh:) and didn't end up getting a reply :(

I just shot them off another e-mail, asking if my order would still fall under the 7/10 discount since I did actually try to order it on 7/10.
:shrug:

I know they were busy as all hell though, it's not entirely surprising they didn't respond quickly.

EDIT:
I've been wondering this ever since I got my Mini-Can, but what exactly does "patent pending" mean legally?
Another EDIT:
It seems Wikipedia is my friend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_pending
So, basically, it doesn't mean anything until the patent is actually granted?

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I've been wondering this ever since I got my Mini-Can, but what exactly does "patent pending" mean legally?

It is like saying I am in line to get my patent. It is kind of a warning... saying don't think about making these because I will soon have a patent and you will have to stop. "What the Patent Pending designation does is let all other competitors know that, in a relatively short amount of time, the product (along with the design and manufacturing ideas) will be the exclusive property of the patent holder. Other companies can continue to produce similar products right up until the official patent is issued and the markings on the patented product are changed."

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Welcome to FC Rooster!

I am the french guy with who you discussed joint sizes & norms by mail a few weeks back!

As I told you then, you will see your work gets a lot of love around here.

Bob, yes the ability to dab enormous quantities without any coughing reflex at all is THE PRO of those pieces IMO!

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs

Welcome to the forum. :tup: I have been enjoying the 18inch Straight Tube since I picked mine up a couple weeks ago. I also have one of the mini cans, but I don't use it as much. I general, I think I prefer larger pieces. All of your fritted disks really preform well. Your work is also extremely clean.

I did a search for the patent you have filed... unfortunately I came up blank. Do you have a number yet? I would love to read the paperwork you filed. I like reading patents for fun... oh man that sounds geeky. :freak:

Anyway keep up the good work. :rockon:

Slightly Medicated,

The Rooster.

Glass Blower
Ok, so how many of us, as soon as we hit our 1st Fritter for the 1st time, instantly thought
"I must get another one of these"
*raises hand*

"Hi, my name is Frederick, I have Glass Collection Disorder"
:lol:

I shot NVS off an email on the morning of 7/10 there (dealing with timezones can get confusing after hitting the mini can :argh:) and didn't end up getting a reply :(

I just shot them off another e-mail, asking if my order would still fall under the 7/10 discount since I did actually try to order it on 7/10.
:shrug:

I know they were busy as all hell though, it's not entirely surprising they didn't respond quickly.

EDIT:
Another EDIT:
It seems Wikipedia is my friend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_pending
So, basically, it doesn't mean anything until the patent is actually granted?

Modnote: Quote tag fixed.

No, "patent pending" is accepted to have greater deterrent value to knock offs than the actual patent issuing. When a 7 digit (Utility) patent is pending, the contents of the pending patent claim are not a matter of public record, and any potential rip-off scammer has the added anxiety that he does not know what claims are being made, making it more uncertain as to where the line of novelty over prior art is.
Notice, PHX was first to Utility patent a water pipe, the "honeycomb." While that patent was pending, nobody was making discs of that sort. Once the patent issued, and was a matter of public record, my guess is that a couple of well known brands looked at the phx patent, discovered that it was written rather narrowly (badly), and decided that making discs with drilled or saw cut holes was sufficiently novel as to not apply to their designs. If I had written phx'x patent, I would have used broader language, and would probably be going after them. I've used very broad language in my application, when it issues, I believe it will prevail in any instance of another fritted disc accessory coming to market for the next 17 years.
But, wait....there's more. I have been involved in this industry since 1976, kept a pretty low profile through the raygun/hw bush admins witch hunts. I know the history quite well. The only airtight defense against a drug paraphenalia charge is patent defense. You cannot patent anything that is illegal or immoral, therefore anything with a utility patent is legal and moral. Adams Apple Distributing took it to the supreme court in their 1980's case with their Deering scale, and won. It is difficult to get utility patents on water pipes, and I give phx thumbs up for doing so. Patent defense is an impregnable wedge against these idiot laws.
But wait....there's more. In 1963, the Surgeon Gen'l of the USA suggested that water filtration may reduce harmful constituents in tobacco smoke. Nobody ever did the study....before me. I have a few bucks. I can afford it. It is a side project here, and when the results from my laboratory apparatus com back from the laboratory showing reduction in harmful constituents in tobacco smoke, I would hate to be the idiot DA who has to argue that tobacco smokers must be subjected to greater harm because a proven harm reducing, patented, legal glass pipe is considered drug paraphenalia and banned from local sale. Bad laws will change. Bad laws NEED to change.

Lastly, I would like to point out that i make my discs in house, and the products from the lab supply houses you so conveniently posted to assist copycat glassblowers are not configured for use at lung pressure, as a prior poster discovered. If you can delete those earlier posts, I would consider that respectful. I have been widely ripped off for many ideas I brought to this industry, most particularly ash traps,"percolators," (I hate that inaccurate term) and hex bases. I suppose I could also claim ground joints but my 1987 and 1994 introductions of ground joints were (way ahead of their time) both total flops. When I used my first frit prototype for the first time, I knew I'd get ripped off again if I did not seek a utility patent.

Fyi, utility patents have 7 digits and cover the functionality of a design. Design patents are 6 digits, and only apply to what something looks like. This is why you can't take an Iphone, put it in a hand painted case, and claim you've invented something. Same thing here.

"If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, innovation is the most sincere form of criticism" (Stuart Brand)

I worked in the University of Maryland's lab glass shop back when I was a student there. I have been in labs, worked with chemists, and have had a good little quartzworking business for a while. I know laboratory glass far better than a lot of young posers who were not yet born when I got started. I know that if the object is to scrub a gas with a liquid as efficiently as possible, your gas washing bottle will use a fritted disc. Seeing so much lab-looking glass that you would NEVER find used in a laboratory, I thought...."Hmmm. I would what REAL lab glass would work like?"

Well, now ya know. It works damned good, and if you're conscientious about cleaning and water changing, it's easy to live with.

Closing....look out, 'cause here comes some free advice:

Dabbers! Do not use ice water or ice. You will get more taste, payload, and less reclaim with room temp or warmer water. Do not put your piece in the fucking freezer!

Thank you.

My .02 DG

Welcome to FC Rooster!

I am the french guy with who you discussed joint sizes & norms by mail a few weeks back!

As I told you then, you will see your work gets a lot of love around here.

Bob, yes the ability to dab enormous quantities without any coughing reflex at all is THE PRO of those pieces IMO!

I talked with ups today, they have some stuff to make international shipping easier....

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Yes thx David, but my company has UPS & Fedex corporate account so pretty much covered on the International transportation "at best price" side.
No worries and I got my flared glowing purp baby from Josh at NVS, no problemo!
But you know what we wanna see (and that we discussed previously): the conversion kit on the micro & mini pieces!:D

FLskwat,

The Rooster.

Glass Blower
Yes thx David, but my company has UPS & Fedex corporate account so pretty much covered on the International transportation "at best price" side.
No worries and I got my flared glowing purp baby from Josh at NVS, no problemo!
But you know what we wanna see (and that we discussed previously): the conversion kit on the micro & mini pieces!:D
The original prototypes were all on 19/26 joints, and I made little, tiny, PITA 15mm frits for them. They worked great...for about 12 servings. that's why I went to the 24/25 joint for the convertibles, needed more surface area. FWIW, when I made the first 21mm disc, I took it over to my homeboys to try clogging it. There were 3 of us, and when we got to round 8, we had to hang up the R&D for the next day but a splendid time was had by all. I was thinking we might do a historical re-enactment vid for upcoming website.
btw the purple ring glow is really rare (so far), I think yours is one of the first 3. I personally like the glow discs best in orange, red and cobalt blue, which will probably be the majority color schemes in the future....Enjoy you're rarity, I can tell you it was built to last.

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
You need R&D nothomeboyz???? :D I'd love to be useful to the cause! Hihi!

Maybe you haven't seen this (was sent to me by Herborizer's maker way before I knew the existence of Rooster Apparatus BTW, and is done by a Russian glassblower FYI) but yes I was aware that small fritter and with an unloose porosity is a NO GO for most of us (because of clogging & airflow restriction)...but as a clean freak washing any of his glass piece almost daily I could deal with 19" prefritters... I swear! :D

EDIT: So happy to know I have a limited edition!

FLskwat,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Welcome Rooster! It's always a bonus for the maker of a product to be on the forum with us, helps smooth out some of the guess work. I feel you on the "please remove posts about copying the frit" unfortunately after just a few hours, we can no longer edit or remove posts here, I think the MOD is the only one who can do it. I don't really know what the rules or protocol is on that here in FC. In any case, we are glad to see you here. I love both my frits ( 18" tube and 12" mini can) and did buy the mini just hours after getting the 18" tube. These are the very first higher end glass pieces for me, I've only had mediocre, run of the mill glass before the fritt, so it's a real treat for sure. Mini can + solo is my daily driver lately.
Cheers!
:cheers:

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Are you ok????? :tup:
lol, yea man. was a great holiday. definitely passed out a little early ;)
i had built myself up to it all day. my girl wouldn't stop twirling the other dabber, lol
she was trying to kill me! that's when i pulled back making that rather indistinct sound that was supposed to mean "hold up", shoved that shit down and finished it off. lungs have been magical since i quit smoking :rockon:. glad you enjoyed the vid!

The Rooster.

Glass Blower
Hot Damn, Welcome to FC Rooster :D
:bowdown:
I'm loving my Mini-Can Prototype :)
(perhaps you could shed some light on this for me, I picked it up on BoroMarket, and the seller said there were only about 10 Proto's floating around out there, does that sound right?)

@Bob
I thought I was daring when I went for dual solos through a Y adapter :lol:

EDIT:
Post 1,000:party:
depends on the definition of prototype, but there are more than 10 out there, for sure.

The Rooster.,
I'm a fan of that mouthpiece, or at least the location. Having it off center like that, it looks like there would be plenty of space between the face and the vaporizer sitting on the joint. I bet that one looks like a rooster with a solo sitting on it.

havealight101,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Welcome Rooster! It's always a bonus for the maker of a product to be on the forum with us, helps smooth out some of the guess work. I feel you on the "please remove posts about copying the frit" unfortunately after just a few hours, we can no longer edit or remove posts here, I think the MOD is the only one who can do it. I don't really know what the rules or protocol is on that here in FC. In any case, we are glad to see you here. I love both my frits ( 18" tube and 12" mini can) and did buy the mini just hours after getting the 18" tube. These are the very first higher end glass pieces for me, I've only had mediocre, run of the mill glass before the fritt, so it's a real treat for sure. Mini can + solo is my daily driver lately.
Cheers!
:cheers:

Why would a mod remove them?

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Hitler said the same :(

gimme a break, we can disagree with the legal standing of patents, but we should all respect the creative rights of artists. we wouldn't even have these awesome pieces if it wasn't for Rooster. same reason i buy my carts and batteries from D9, instead of from some rip-off company like Gpen or Gentlemen's Vapes. respect, plus hitler, really?!? lol:shrug:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Zangano Cruel

IG zan.cru (code) zancru (5% NV checkout discount)
Sorry but patents suck.
Should I need to ask Arizer every time I need to modify my stems?? Or custom make them??? Mmmm, sorry, they already try to ban free Internet (SOPA??? I believe?? Maybe this forum even wouldn't exist) , was again all about trademarks and copyrights.
Piracy will always exists. Everybody wants to have it without paying the price. Sorry to defer such a nice thread.
I get touched when someone tries to "delete" posts...

Zangano Cruel,
Top Bottom