Dabpress Rosin Plates

CouchKushn

The flying Druid.
Hi all, just got my 3x5 setup yesterday in my 12 ton H.F. H-frame, the setup went great but I’m so bummed at the quality of rosin. I’m getting a good amount of return but when I took a taste I thought I just inhaled a lungful of mustard gas, really harsh, the smell and taste was not good, and the color is way to dark almost black. I’m using about 7gr. in the DabPress 190 mic. filter bags using the bottle tech. pre press, the plates are at 200f.(checked with an infrared gun) and I’m pressing for about 1.5 to 2 min. until I see it bubbling out the front. I watched a bunch of utube vids. but mine doesn’t look anything like it’s supposed to. What am I doing wrong? Too hot? Too long of a press? Or all the above? Is it possible that it’s the strain?(Blackberry Kush). The moisture of the material is at 62%, and I’m using Raw brand parchment paper. I don’t have a pressure gage setup could I be using too much pressure? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

CouchKushn

The flying Druid.
Since you mention Blackberry Kush, could potentially be squirting anthocynanins which would affect the color in a dark way. Potentially that could lead to off flavors when heated?

What device are you dabbing on?
Right now I’ve only got a glass honey straw, I think it’s called a road runner.

What would you recommend? Any name brands that I should look at?

Last edited by a moderator:

CouchKushn

The flying Druid.
I'm using these; https://www.ebay.ca/itm/EVOLV-Rosin...hash=item33ff5d3aa5:m:myEUQQRrHVT7VbPeY7YQYvw

a few things to possibly pinpoint your problem

1. try pressing 1g bud naked (without any bag)
2. do your current bags change colour? (try pressing a new empty bag)
3. is there any mould on your buds?
Thanks for the info. And I will try those recommendations you wrote. No I don’t believe I have any mold, I grew all this and dried and cured myself. What’s the deal with bags changing color?

CR250M

Ontario, CA
I'm just guessing that if the bag was made of an incorrect material and changed colour under a heated press that that bag would then actually be burning and while your making your squish it is transferring that burnt byproduct into your product :)

edit: #4 if 1-3 don't prove anything try a different flower

CouchKushn

The flying Druid.
I'm just guessing that if the bag was made of an incorrect material and changed colour under a heated press that that bag would then actually be burning and while your making your squish it is transferring that burnt byproduct into your product :)
Oh I see, that makes sense. The bags are the ones that DabPress sells, I ordered them with the press. But I’ll still give it a shot and see what happens. Shit I almost forgot my Dr. appointment, got to run, thank you for all your help, I’ll report back with my results when I have the time to do some more pressing. Have a good one.

Hippie

How much pressure are you using?
Can always press it again at a higher pressure if you start low.
(Sorry I just re-read the post and now know you don't have a gauge)

Don't waste much time pre pressing bottletech style, if that's what you're doing.

Too much pressure and/or smooshing the material about pre pressing will lead to the compounds from within the leaves being released (which is what I think has happened) resulting in a dark and bitter rosin.

CouchKushn

The flying Druid.
How much pressure are you using?
Can always press it again at a higher pressure if you start low.
(Sorry I just re-read the post and now know you don't have a gauge)

Don't waste much time pre pressing bottletech style, if that's what you're doing.

Too much pressure and/or smooshing the material about pre pressing will lead to the compounds from within the leaves being released (which is what I think has happened) resulting in a dark and bitter rosin.
Hi @LesPlenty, thanks for the info. Yea I’ve got a lot to learn, I guess I’ll have to make some crap before I make some gold. I really want to thank all of you for helping this old fart out, you all are fantastic people. I’ve already got 2 warnings about how I’m not replying correctly to multiple people, I feel like I’m so behind sometimes, but thanks for being patient, I’m trying. I just got a new iPhone, hopefully I can figure out how to do some pic uploading. I’ll come back and let you all know how things are going trying all the recommendations you all specified. If it’s just old weed it will be a few more weeks before I can try it out on some that’s a bit fresher. You guys rock, thanks so much.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I just got a new iPhone, hopefully I can figure out how to do some pic uploading. I’ll come back and let you all know how things are going trying all the recommendations you all specified. If it’s just old weed it will be a few more weeks before I can try it out on some that’s a bit fresher. You guys rock, thanks so much.

I've been using imgbox.com to upload pictures to share here on FC, works well and seems to keep the quality better than most. I look forward to your upcoming efforts!

If you can get your hands on some flower that's been curing for 4-8 weeks, I think you'll find the oil you get from that material very good quality, smooth and flavorful. There is so much that goes into the product being a home run, from how it is grown, dried, cured, environment it is curing in (lower temps are best! Think wine cellar temps, 55-60F), every bit matters so when you strike gold you will see the factors involved.

My auto ultimate was grown horribly and the resin was not very good tasting or looking, buds looked fine =/

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
So, I'm going to start this post off with a little background story...

I'm a complete sucker for big things in small packages :razz:
...I guess that's probably the TLDR version here, so some of you might want to get out while you can!

Aaaaanyway, across nearly every one of my hobbies, I've found myself migrating slowly toward smooshing the best performance into the smallest packages. My PC is a 12 liter mini-ITX gaming rig. My beer brewing setup is a 1.75 gallon fully electric system. So, it really shouldn't surprise me that it'd eventually extend to cannabis too! Some of you may or may not know my background, but I've been vaping for somewhere around 17 years now. I started with a Vapor Brothers like many others, but VAS caught me early and hard... even back when there weren't many to choose from. I've owned as many vapes (probably more) as years I've been doing it. Several months ago, I switched to concentrates pretty much exclusively. Sold off all of my flower vapes (except my sexy as heckfire Nomad... she's not going anywhere). Concentrates offer the best bang for kicking my insomnia straight in the balls. Not only that, but my lungs and throat feel better, and I find myself using less and less to achieve the results I need (and enjoy! :smug:).

I used to grow between 4-6 small plants at a time and as I've gotten more into concentrates, pressing my own rosin, etc., I've scaled back to more like 2 plants for personal use. Fast forward to today and I'm working to reduce that to a single plant every cycle. I'm already saving more than half of what I was spending on energy, nutrients, time/maintenance, etc.

How does all this relate to Dabpress? ...I don't know, I'm writing this while stoned and forgot what I was talking about...

Oh right, I just want to give them more praise. Yeah, we all know there are better presses out there depending on different usage scenarios. But for the majority of mammals who press at home for personal use, their gear hits all the right marks, IMHO. They've met my needs to a T while not only being super affordable, but also somehow offering some of the best customer service I've experienced in a long time.

Anyway, the whole point of this is really just to say I got a new toy and I fucking love it. Pics below are of their 10-ton mini press and it's the shiznit. Seriously, I opened the box and was floored with the beauty, quality, and simplicity of it. And it's soooo small, like loaf of bread small.

2jloul8y1b.jpg

It's cleared up my workbench so I can continue my plans for world domination unhindered! *cue nefarious cackle*

stepbrothers2.jpg

I know, I know... this is hot off the heels of using my 10-ton driptech press for literally the first time... but I had an opportunity to score this little guy for a good price and couldn't pass it up. I mean, I -did- try to warn you right at the beginning of this probably-too-wordy post. Thanks again @psychonaut, now I gotta get to work on another harvest so I can break this in with a proper squish.

:peace:

IMG-20191011-155933.jpg

IMG-20191011-160012.jpg

edit: oh, I also wanted to mention that I was iffy at first about forking over extra cash for the BVA pump. I wasn't sure it'd offer a tangible benefit other than maybe longevity, but the pump action is silky smooth with less effort and overall feels muuuuuuuch better than the Porta Power I had before.

Last edited:

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Dang @superdang9000 that was a great post! That the press I want and seeing how TINY it is makes me want it even more! I was slightly worried about having space for it in my little studio space but thanks to you, no more!
That last picture is great for driving this fact home, unless that’s some kinda crazy 24 oz. beer can. Noticed the other day that dabpress didn’t have the 220v version available and now even the 110v shows as sold out.

I can’t wait to join you in the Very Little Press Club. I’m having more trouble waiting for BF/CM this year than ever before, all because of dabpress. Tbh if it was available, I might forgo the discount and get it now which is crazy since I’m all about saving $ but the dabpress products already represent a good value for money imo. Is it possible that I’m somehow becoming less mature & patient with age?

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
That last picture is great for driving this fact home, unless that’s some kinda crazy 24 oz. beer can.

I suppose we are just past Oktoberfest where liter beers run rampant! :lol: But no, it's just a wee little 12 oz Ninkasi.

I can’t wait to join you in the Very Little Press Club. I’m having more trouble waiting for BF/CM this year than ever before, all because of dabpress. Tbh if it was available, I might forgo the discount and get it now which is crazy since I’m all about saving $ but the dabpress products already represent a good value for money imo. Is it possible that I’m somehow becoming less mature & patient with age?

Is that what's happening to me?? I've always considered myself a frugal shopper but I've found myself buying things a few weeks before BF/CM these last couple years, I think partly due to the anxiety that comes with finding the "best deal possible" whilst scouring pages and pages of slickdeals threads. It can be fun, but I guess it's starting to wear on my aging neurons. :myday:

Anyhoo, I think it's still a great value at the current price, especially when comparing other vendors... although once you throw a pump on it does start to add up. Despite its small size, it's still about the same weight as the larger driptech version due to the stainless steel frame vs aluminum. Which is a good thing, IMO, it feels nice and CHONKY.

Another thing that appealed to me is the cylinder orientation. I like the inverted format where the plates sit lower. It's a minor frustration, but sometimes jockeying the parchment and keeping it in place while getting your rosin bags situated can just be annoying. I'm hoping this will help at least a bit.

I can't say outright whether I'd recommend it over any of their other options, since I haven't pressed out any rosin with it yet. But if it performs at least as well as the other 2 presses I've owned, I'll be a very happy man. I'm super antsy to give it a proper test run, so I've been waffling over running down to the dispensary to pick up some flower... blasphemy, I know, but these are desperate times when new toys are involved. :p

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Loving the setups @LesPlenty and @superdang9000 !:tup::cheers:

I have some new material finally. Cheese, bruce banger, orange hill special and the church. The cheese reminds me of lsd from barneys farm :drool: The church is some top tier skunk genetics, really impressed with the resin. I'm gonna do an ice wash tomorrow on the cheese and bruce banger trim.

My previous batch of flower made some low yielding low flavor rosin unfortunately, been in the squishing blues!

Glad I'm not the only one who's been too neurotic watching slickdeals :lol:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Another thing that appealed to me is the cylinder orientation
That was about the only thing I did not like(and no driptech) as heat rises extra stress will be imparted to the ram compared to being mounted below, no big deal but was one of the updates the HR10t35v got along with driptech.:2c:
I still wanted it though but was told it was not going to be made again, still, I am happy with my unit, I just made a workspace for it.:tup:

Top Bottom