Dabpress Rosin Plates

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
This has been a squishing weekend. I did 3.5g of some sativa flowers, then 14g of indica dominant hybrid flowers, Total yields ended up being close to 3.5g of rosin, all pressed at 190F with between 1300-2300 PSI, all vertical filter builds.

Here's a triple puck press I did, for 5 mins at 190F on the dp-rp37 3x7" kit. The squished pucks were each about 1.75" diameter though one was slightly larger as it pressed into more of an oval shape. I am not sure what is happening but when I got the press up to about 5 tons, and when I applied more pressure it just wouldn't hold pressure, it seemed to stabalize at 4.25 tons. This is why I ended up pressing for so long, I was trying to get the pressure higher. I emailed Dake to see what their thoughts are.

elmomuzz

That just happened...
One thing about squishing hash at low temp. If you do accidentally get a blowout you can just take your contaminated mess and put it in a new filter bag and try again. The end product will still be very nice.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Thanks @elmomuzz :tup: I am thinking about starting with some good kief. There is a caregiver down the hill that has a lot of different grades of hash and kief for various prices. Do you store your hash with bovedas or is it not necessary?

psychonaut,

Grifo

I agree, have missed parts myself. It happens. Luckily easily fixed at a hardware store.

Some are local to HF though so good choice to inspect and pick up at B&M.

Just a friendly reminder for all new rosin peeps, be sure to grab/consider:

Some rosin filters to pair with your plates/methods, especially if pressing loose material
Thermometer to verify plates temps (javelin probe, k-type thermocouple, IR thermometer (least accurate))
Parchment paper (kirkland @ costco, reynolds, raw)
Glass vials to store rosin in (or the dabpress bamboo kit if you need everything in a beautiful case)
If you have not stepped up to a desktop vaporizer, an enail with water tool perhaps? ;)
Notepad to document your efforts (always looking to improve, yes?)
Pre-press molds to pair with your filters/methods
Glass Vials CHECK
Flower Pot CHECK
Note Pad CHECK

So i need thermometer, parchment paper, pre-press, and a dab tool

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Glass Vials CHECK
Flower Pot CHECK
Note Pad CHECK

So i need thermometer, parchment paper, pre-press, and a dab tool

Pre-press is not necessary for starting out, it's a nice tool to have regardless! Roger is working on bringing us a cylinder pre-press mold for pre-pressing by hand. There will be a rosin sleeve (long filter to cut down to size) as well, so if you can wait for that, it should be available next month. Is that right @dabpress.com ?

skube

I modified my press to install the Norco bottle jack.The Norco is a little bigger than the HF.I had to cut the jack mount plate off and move it.Drilled and tapped holes to mount the Norco.Also,installed the gauge.I have a couple of pictures but,I'm not sure how to post them.

skube,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I modified my press to install the Norco bottle jack.The Norco is a little bigger than the HF.I had to cut the jack mount plate off and move it.Drilled and tapped holes to mount the Norco.Also,installed the gauge.I have a couple of pictures but,I'm not sure how to post them.

Go to imgur.com and upload each picture individually. Then get share links and use the BBcode link and paste that into your post.

psychonaut,

skube

X1Z4Yym.jpg
OM1i9P1.jpg
nkHhb9Q
nkHhb9Q
nkHhb9Q}
cxzV9JK

Last edited:
Well, I did my first real presses with these plates yesterday. The plates work great but I need to make a new puck maker for these size plates. I am thinking 1x4 or 1x5 with 10g in the 1x4 and 14g in the 1x5. I like a 10 gram press so I'll try the 1x4 first.

Everything I tried was a failure. Even the silkscreen cloth which worked so well with the smaller pucks, just didn't work this time. So, I am going to do some tweaking and try again tomorrow. The plates worked perfectly. It's just that all my experiments failed. LOL

I went to the dabpress.com web site and they don't have any puck pressers I can use but I saw THIS...

dt-1_1024x1024.jpg

and I absolutely MUST HAVE this. It's beautiful with the bamboo box. And, I always have 3 or 4 different kinds of rosin so this would be perfect for me.

Definitely going to be ordering this soon.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I press again.

Thanks again @dabpress.com Awesome product.

Hackerman,
Reactions: Shrike

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@Hackerman Too bad those tests weren't favorable. What are you thinking next, a different filter material?

Since you ordered your kit on Amazon, if you left a review I believe Dabpress is still offering that bamboo toolkit for free as a promotion.

iOZSSG0.png

Cool. I definitely left a good review on Amazon for them. I love these plates.

I think the filter I used is fine. I think most of my failures were because I was using unpressed flowers. I find a puck spreads WAY less than the same weight in loose flowers.

I did press some small round pucks and those presses came off great.

I am making a press now so I will know more today or tomorrow. Nice day today might have to go for a motorcycle ride instead of sitting home pressing. LOL

Thanks for the tip. :)

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Send support@dabpress.com an email with your Amazon Order # and they'll hook you up!

I didnt get one because I already have all that stuff but it does look pretty sharp :nod: I seen pictures online some peeps aren't taking good care of the dabtool kit, they put their oily tools back in the case and the wood gets stained! :uhh:

Any pics that you can share, even of troubles, I'd seriously appreciate it, I'm still learning myself and others efforts have really helped me develop my pressing efforts.

psychonaut,
Reactions: Hogni

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I wouldn’t just use a bigger jack on a press that came with a smaller jack. The press could fail causing serious injury.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I wouldn’t just use a bigger jack on a press that came with a smaller jack. The press could fail causing serious injury.
My press is 20T. I was just talking about upgrading the current 20T jack with a 20T jack that has a guage on it, hence why I asked for a 20T option...however it os not worth it to me if it is going to cost more than the press itself. I was hoping this could be an under $100 upgrade.

Your point is definetly valid tho!

Well, I ran a few more tests today. You won't believe what happened.

I made a temporary jig out of wood to determine what size pre-press I need. The first one was 1"x5" inside dimensions and I put 10 grams in it. I used a 1x5 piece of 1/4" thick aluminum to press it.

The size and the amount were just about perfect. Nothing squeezed out and sides but it went right to the tippy edge and I didn't really like that. The press went OK except, you won't believe this, since I was holding the camera in one hand trying to film the press, when I opened the press to pull out the parchment to show this awesome press...... I dropped it on the floor....... face down. LMAO Shit!

I was able to salvage most of it and I can make a good guess on the yield. Not great. About 10%. Which is just a little bit less than I usually get with this strain.

I have found that there is a point of diminishing return on puck size. With my old setup, a puck with 3 grams only yielded 10% more than a puck the same size with 2 grams. 50% more pot, 10% more rosin. With my size, shape, pressure, etc of my last press, a 1" diameter puck with 2 grams provided for the best yield. I need to keep testing on this setup to find the optimum size.

I just cut the jig down from 1x5 to 1x4. I will put 7 grams in this one and give it a shot.

If I can figure out how to upload the vid, I will but here is a couple shots of the puck rig. Once I determine the optimum size, I'll make a nice aluminum one.

One another note. I have been looking at premade pre-presses. Watch the sizing. The advertised size is often the outside dimensions and the puck will end up much smaller.

zmBLU6f.jpg

BZM8pYA.jpg

s7A8lam.jpg

dabpress.com

Manufacturer
Well, I did my first real presses with these plates yesterday. The plates work great but I need to make a new puck maker for these size plates. I am thinking 1x4 or 1x5 with 10g in the 1x4 and 14g in the 1x5. I like a 10 gram press so I'll try the 1x4 first.

Everything I tried was a failure. Even the silkscreen cloth which worked so well with the smaller pucks, just didn't work this time. So, I am going to do some tweaking and try again tomorrow. The plates worked perfectly. It's just that all my experiments failed. LOL

I went to the dabpress.com web site and they don't have any puck pressers I can use but I saw THIS...

dt-1_1024x1024.jpg

and I absolutely MUST HAVE this. It's beautiful with the bamboo box. And, I always have 3 or 4 different kinds of rosin so this would be perfect for me.

Definitely going to be ordering this soon.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I press again.

Thanks again @dabpress.com Awesome product.

New puck maker is anodizing now, it will be finished this week. It'll take two weeks to reach us warehouse.

Thank you

Roger

MinnBobber

?? does it make any sense to have a pre-press that goes beyond hand pressure??

Would a "puck-maker" that you can put in your hydraulic press (with no heat) make for a more effective puck?
I'm not suggesting big pressure, but would a higher level than hand pressure make for a better puck?

dabpress.com

Manufacturer
?? does it make any sense to have a pre-press that goes beyond hand pressure??

Would a "puck-maker" that you can put in your hydraulic press (with no heat) make for a more effective puck?
I'm not suggesting big pressure, but would a higher level than hand pressure make for a better puck?

Thanks for your great opinion.
I am going to make square puck maker, works with bubble hash,kief,trim etc.

But it can not pair with caged plates, ( You guys have to move cage kit away) but it work with cageless plates ( please protect the contact surface of plates).

Thank you guys

Have a great day

Roger

Top Bottom