Custom Glass Ideas/Designs Thread

GSH

On a Möbius plane
I really doubt that with most pieces people could tell the flavor difference in a blind test. Obviously with some of the very percolated ones vs the super simple ones, but a matrix vs that donut perc, I doubt it.
I can definitely tell the difference between my Möbius matrix and my JhanPixel/Aeon Glass showerhead. The showerhead with its big slits give much (and I mean MUCH) more flavour. The matrix purrs like a kitten, but for vapour I always feel like it is robbing me of flavour...

BoogerMan

I can definitely tell the difference between my Möbius matrix and my JhanPixel/Aeon Glass showerhead. The showerhead with its big slits give much (and I mean MUCH) more flavour. The matrix purrs like a kitten, but for vapour I always feel like it is robbing me of flavour...
I agree with @GSH. I can really tell a difference in flavor between my 10 slit inline perc recycler and my gridded 40 hole recycler.

The gridded recycler definitely purrs compared to the 10 slit but the flavor between the two is definitely distinguishable.

That being said I do tend to favor smooth purr pulls over more flavorful chuggy pulls, but both types seem to have their time and place :)

nben

I have an idea for a high diffusion piece in a relatively small form factor. A side car GB 186, but shorten the can several inches and throw in a turbine perc to act as a splash guard. A cross between the GB 186 and the GB 288. What do you guys think?

mestizo

I have an idea for a high diffusion piece in a relatively small form factor. A side car GB 186, but shorten the can several inches and throw in a turbine perc to act as a splash guard. A cross between the GB 186 and the GB 288. What do you guys think?
I like that idea a lot, I hope others do too.

tennstrong

Sorry but I don't think that would work at all without making the can taller. I own a roughly 10 inch tall can bubbler in a similar fashion which is a circ to turbine by a US maker. The turbine adds a lot of stacking wherein your problem lies. My tube actually has the downstem flare out about halfway down where it is worked (say halfway down the downstem), which adds to the stacks and actually seems to control the pull. I never get any splashback using this piece surprisingly (unless pulling with very high water levels as hard as possible, and works so well for me it's too hard to part with). the mouthpiece being removeable/worked lets me use a variety of options like whip or otherwise. Honestly this piece works and looks great, I'd be a little disspointed to see it go to china copybin, but such is life haha. Gotta share the love, and tbh when I had both my sovereingty kingstem (nearly 16-17") and this tube, and to be honest the kingstem was only marginally smoother going back and forth, most likely because I had the larger can size on the kingstem (can't remember the name of the size atm) so it let the vapor or smoke cool.
Sorry the pic is a bit dirty (and yes I noticed both my paragraphs start with sorry- I'm canadian damnit!) and a bit watery, i just changed the water as this is my go to smoking piece as it has the most diffusion of all my pieces (including my toro hex-13arm double micro). If it's hard to see it is a finely cut turbine where the bottom seems to meet the can, and the bottom circ is slits which adds to the stacking.
TLDR: if you want to add a turbine, shorter =/= better, this rig will stack to the very top of the can with no splashback into the mouthpiece (and if youre wondering, it is just above this pic, 18mm joint removeable worked, can upload more if interest arises).
FyAkMrg.jpg

for record- the end of the numbers on the inch side ends at 4 inches, I'll go ahead and measure the total size of the can if anyone wants me to but I believe it is roughly 8-9inch, with mouthpiece on it is ~13", but having a removable lets me also have the option of throwing a extreme q whip attachment on there for laid back vaping

nben

Sorry but I don't think that would work at all without making the can taller. I own a roughly 10 inch tall can bubbler in a similar fashion which is a circ to turbine by a US maker. The turbine adds a lot of stacking wherein your problem lies. My tube actually has the downstem flare out about halfway down where it is worked (say halfway down the downstem), which adds to the stacks and actually seems to control the pull. I never get any splashback using this piece surprisingly (unless pulling with very high water levels as hard as possible, and works so well for me it's too hard to part with). the mouthpiece being removeable/worked lets me use a variety of options like whip or otherwise. Honestly this piece works and looks great, I'd be a little disspointed to see it go to china copybin, but such is life haha. Gotta share the love, and tbh when I had both my sovereingty kingstem (nearly 16-17") and this tube, and to be honest the kingstem was only marginally smoother going back and forth, most likely because I had the larger can size on the kingstem (can't remember the name of the size atm) so it let the vapor or smoke cool.
Sorry the pic is a bit dirty (and yes I noticed both my paragraphs start with sorry- I'm canadian damnit!) and a bit watery, i just changed the water as this is my go to smoking piece as it has the most diffusion of all my pieces (including my toro hex-13arm double micro). If it's hard to see it is a finely cut turbine where the bottom seems to meet the can, and the bottom circ is slits which adds to the stacking.
TLDR: if you want to add a turbine, shorter =/= better, this rig will stack to the very top of the can with no splashback into the mouthpiece (and if youre wondering, it is just above this pic, 18mm joint removeable worked, can upload more if interest arises).
FyAkMrg.jpg

for record- the end of the numbers on the inch side ends at 4 inches, I'll go ahead and measure the total size of the can if anyone wants me to but I believe it is roughly 8-9inch, with mouthpiece on it is ~13", but having a removable lets me also have the option of throwing a extreme q whip attachment on there for laid back vaping

I have the GB 186 and the GB 288. The turbine perc in the GB 288 is great at swirling the water away from the mouth piece, making it almost impossible to splash up the mouthpiece. If you place the turbine just below the mouth piece, I don't see why you would need to make the can taller, I would think that you can safely shorten the can.

nben,

mestizo

Well the FC 187 showed up in tact! Wow! I know a few have complained about some wonky things but mine is as flawless a piece as you could ever hope to get from China. A bit bigger than I evpected but I'm wayyyy happy with it.
I guess it was worth the wait.

mestizo,
Reactions: cybrguy

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Still waiting for my replacement fc-187 to ship. I guess I should just point my attention elsewhere, but that is always hard for me, at least without a buzz...

The idea of a piece made out of components is appealing in a way. There was an ash catcher that was popular recently that broke down into separate components that lent itself to frankenpipes like @ataxian tended to produce. It would kind of be like when we used to make wild smoking pipes out of various lamp parts that went together in really interesting ways. Of course we didn't think much about off gassing and other potential dangers, it was all just about creativity and variety. With glass parts that really wouldn't be an issue.

So, a kit of different joints and stems and sections might be fun. Of course we can do that ourselves just by buying the separate parts so it may not be a very attractive idea to most, but hey, a glass erector set has it's draw...

tennstrong

Still waiting for my replacement fc-187 to ship. I guess I should just point my attention elsewhere, but that is always hard for me, at least without a buzz...

The idea of a piece made out of components is appealing in a way. There was an ash catcher that was popular recently that broke down into separate components that lent itself to frankenpipes like @ataxian tended to produce. It would kind of be like when we used to make wild smoking pipes out of various lamp parts that went together in really interesting ways. Of course we didn't think much about off gassing and other potential dangers, it was all just about creativity and variety. With glass parts that really wouldn't be an issue.

So, a kit of different joints and stems and sections might be fun. Of course we can do that ourselves just by buying the separate parts so it may not be a very attractive idea to most, but hey, a glass erector set has it's draw...
Completely agree here and there seems to be no moderately priced build a bong style bubblers or bongs for that matter that aren't ridiculously overpriced. Personally I think if more vendors picked up on the appeal of a build a bong w/ the removable 26mm joints based on your preferred diffusion a lot of people would be interested. I know a few people irl who own them but there doesn't seem to be a dhgate clone option, although they are clearly china made.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
OK, now I'm starting to get pissed. I reported a broken piece ~10 days ago now, and no replacement has been shipped. Not sure exactly what Steven is waiting on... :huh:

(Trying to be patient with mixed success)

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Shesh, I was thinking about buying a spare FC-187 and keeping whichever has a better perc, but I think I'm going to sit and wait - I still have my reservations about Steven... :popcorn:

blankrider

Steven is producing his second run of 187 right now with an improved matrix perc. I think he is making 50 so you guys might want to wait for that
other_959457376_00.jpg

other_959457714_00.jpg

Also the diffusion pump will be for sale any day now. Possibly tomorrow so keep your eyes open if you want one

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Steven is producing his second run of 187 right now with an improved matrix perc. I think he is making 50 so you guys might want to wait for that
other_959457376_00.jpg

other_959457714_00.jpg

Also the diffusion pump will be for sale any day now. Possibly tomorrow so keep your eyes open if you want one

Dude! That's awesome! I know someone who might want mine, I'd love to get one with a nicer perc! what other changes is he making to the design?

Delta3DStudios,

EverythingsHazy

For the record, China observes Jan 1-3rd as holidays, so a lot of people weren't working those days.

Also, he said he was getting a new matrix perc factory about a week or so ago. Glad to see he changed it up already. Hopefully the next batch comes out even better.

It's kind of cool seeing a bunch of percs/pieces lying around before being put together.

I hope he makes a southpaw version for us lefties. :wave:

:peace:
I mentioned that some people might like the sidecar to be on a different side (not necessarily on the fc-187, but on other pieces), and was told that that's a trivial detail (somewhere in this thread I think). It's only trivial if it isn't awkward to you. Sure it's not gonna make/break it for most people, but it's nice to have options.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I hope he makes a southpaw version for us lefties. :wave:

:peace:

Leftie here as well! :wave:

Though @EverythingsHazy - I have the D020-w with the mouthpiece on the otherside. They both work just fine for me (I am ambidextrous for most things). With an improved perc, I'm in for a second one, I've got the cash in hand ready to go, how will we know when the v2's are for sale? Is the first batch fully sold out?

368zql.jpg

Delta3DStudios,
Reactions: ctxgooner

NorthernHuskie

Hell yeah finally its time for the diffusion pump! But on a semi-related note.. Is it just me or does this bear mountain recycler V2 kind function the same as a diffusion?

Theres no real diffusion, the smoke looks to be just pulled through a tube of water. Vaguely looks like the function of the diffusion pump

If I'm right and anyone is interested the only seller who has the updated version is CCG
http://www.dhgate.com/product/new-d...ngs-glass-oil/209766637.html#s1-5-7|487452378

Edit: Also just found this -
Being able to replace recycling chambers/mouthpieces would be badass. Goes along with the whole build-a-bong aspect but never seen it taken to that extent before

Last edited:
NorthernHuskie,
Reactions: Tweak
Top Bottom