Custom Glass Ideas/Designs Thread

EverythingsHazy

I decided to make a new thread for discussing concept glass designs that can possibly be put into production by some of our friends overseas, without cloging up the cheap bubbler thread. Our fellow forum member @blankrider was able to make the FC-187 happen already, so hopefully more can be done in the future.

Ideas, reviews, and comments are all welcome :)

First piece is a Matrix Pillar:

ScreenShot2014-12-09at85621PM_zpsef5338b3.png

nihil

Member, Known Well
so one thing about the concept glass: I don't know how I feel about us designing pieces and then some chinese manufacturer reaping all the profits.

Good point, but can I offer a counter point?

I (we?) currently have no issue with purchasing, and therefore supporting, "Chinese manufacturers reaping all of the profits." I've been away from bongs for about 15 years and was amazed (and still am) at what I can get for less than $40 USD from China. I have zero issue with the fact that many of these "designs" were "stolen" from US and EU designers mainly due to the fact that it is just a new take on the dinner plate, something that I don't believe should be protected by IP Laws.

We, as a species, have been blowing glass for 1000's of years. Why should my options be limited to $200 - 2,000 pieces? If someone can replicate the design for 1/10 of the cost? Rather, that is what I describe as progress for the species as a whole.

So my counter point? I'd actually feel better looking in the mirror supporting these manufacturers if I knew it was an "open source" design rather than ripping off that one guy with the good design but he decided to charge $800 for the design and $50 for the materials. I get art, and if a piece had artistic potential, sure, I'll pay through the roof if it was my thing. But that shouldn't apply to scientific glass, it's just a beaker in another form after all.

Let the Chinese manufacturers make their profit. I am supplied a very functional bubbler at a very reasonable price, they sell a lot. To me, that just means more happy customers that saved some money on a piece with okay QC, but great functionality.

On that note... I want to contribute. People pay me to do technical art, so I have some skills that I can offer. 18 years Photoshop experience and I am decent with Sketchup, 5+ years. Plus an array of other programs, but I think between Sketchup and Photoshop we could come up with some great designs as a community. Seems like there are a lot of other artists on here as well.

And designers. You design, we communicate to our Chinese friends. And we need communicators such as @blankrider.

I can contribute an hour or two here and there on the workdays, a few on the weekends, not much but it's better than nothing. I'm willing to work for free so long as I can get a fucking epic bubbler that cost me less than $50 USD.

So, open offer to whomever wants to get involved. This thread is a great idea, cheers.

VJJJV

No clue what I did yesterday
yeah I thought about that too and I mean in the end there isn't really any other way to go to achieve a cheaper piece of glass. I don't know maybe we can negotiate better prices with manufacturers if we gurantee like a 100 sales or so. Again don't ask me how to go about that.. idk.. just blurting out my thoughts..

nihil

Member, Known Well
yeah I thought about that too and I mean in the end there isn't really any other way to go to achieve a cheaper piece of glass. I don't know maybe we can negotiate better prices with manufacturers if we gurantee like a 100 sales or so. Again don't ask me how to go about that.. idk.. just blurting out my thoughts..

Agreed. I don't know how to go about it either, but am open to ideas and to dedicating a little bit of my time. If we can start getting Chinese (or other reasonably priced) manufacturers open to our design concepts why not try to give it a go?

And if an idea we come up with is "copied," no fucks are given. Open to the community means open to us, as consumers, to get a say in what we are paying for/want/need.

VJJJV

Yeah, I definitely want to give it a try. I also be glad to contribute in whatever way. I can do more stuff in illustrator. I will definitely become more experienced with it. So we can make blueprints with all the specific dimensions and then just hand it to china, see if they can actually make it and so on..

This is what I posted in the cheap bubbler glass thread (for those who havnt seen it)
3h4MRSF.jpg

VJJJV,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I personally hate the restriction where the mouthpiece meets...
IMO that should just be part of the main can.
Like here:
GB-186PeyotePillar_zps39eb2a06.png

Are these drawings supposed to really lay out the functionality of the piece or just show perc placement, mouthpiece placement and shaping?

They def need a bit more refining if they need to convey function.
(Note, they're very well made renderings @VJJJV, just the actual design shown that needs a slight tweak...)

I'd try throwing it into paint to show you what I mean but my laptop shat itself today :(
Not a 'concept' but I'd love to see some cheaper reproductions of this octopus looking thingy
the-sqwider.jpg

That basically just looks like a twisted tree perc to me :)
Shouldn't be that hard to reproduce.

VJJJV

"but my laptop shat itself today" nice. :p

that drawing was just to see if I could actually make it in illustrator, its based on a shitty drawing by blankrider in the cheap china glass thread.

What I'm actually trying to figure out is a pillar bubbler with the joint for the bowl or whatever being in the center.

RWkJrSv.jpg

This is what I'm messing around with right now. That way you plug a e-nano, herbalaire, vapexhale or whatever in the top and it can stand by itself. All while you can enjoy watching your pillars.

Radio

stay true to yourselves
Like here:

Are these drawings supposed to really lay out the functionality of the piece or just show perc placement, mouthpiece placement and shaping?

They def need a bit more refining if they need to convey function.
(Note, they're very well made renderings @VJJJV, just the actual design shown that needs a slight tweak...)

I'd try throwing it into paint to show you what I mean but my laptop shat itself today :(

That basically just looks like a twisted tree perc to me :)
Shouldn't be that hard to reproduce.
Yeah I can't imagine it would be hard to reproduce, but never seen anything like it! Very creative.
this is a good thread to share ideas and see what others want to see on the market. Good one @EverythingsHazy :)

BoogerMan

Like here:

I'm with @Frederick McGuire on this one. I say keep the mouthpiece on top, especially because the FC-187 is a sidecar :2c:

Speaking of sidecars I just got the D020--2-w from Sunshinestore and it rocks. The mouthpiece comes almost straight back so it's perfect for using it while laying in bed. Pairs awesome with the solo. The can is narrower than I thought but I really like it. Easier to milk up ;)
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/d020-2-w-clear-glass-water-smoking-pipe-with/208893527.html

Anyways, I do like the box on top of the can though so I say we put the mouthpiece on top of that or coming off the back like this one (it's a pretty sweet looking incycler IMO). Basically combine @Frederick McGuire and @VJJJV drawings :D

EC8F246A-EAF8-43DA-85F7-0C40351A0D20_zpsboimz46c.jpg

Last edited:

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
"but my laptop shat itself today" nice. :p

that drawing was just to see if I could actually make it in illustrator, its based on a shitty drawing by blankrider in the cheap china glass thread.

What I'm actually trying to figure out is a pillar bubbler with the joint for the bowl or whatever being in the center.

RWkJrSv.jpg

This is what I'm messing around with right now. That way you plug a e-nano, herbalaire, vapexhale or whatever in the top and it can stand by itself. All while you can enjoy watching your pillars.
That makes sense from a placement point of view, a dewaar joint on the top of the can, joining into the dry first chamber between the top of the pillars, but constructing it might be a nightmare...

Realistically we've gotta keep these pieces relatively simple from a construction standpoint right?
I'd think it'd be waaaay easier for them to slap the downstem on the side than try to jam it in between the pillars.
It would be badass though :D

I'm with @Frederick McGuire on this one. I say keep the mouthpiece on top, especially because the FC-187 is a sidecar :2c:

Speaking of sidecars I just got the D020--2-w from Sunshinestore and it rocks. The mouthpiece comes almost straight back so it's perfect for using it while laying in bed. Pairs awesome with the solo. The can is narrower than I thought but I really like it. Easier to milk up ;)
http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/d020-2-w-clear-glass-water-smoking-pipe-with/208893527.html

Anyways, I do like the box on top of the can though so I say we put the mouthpiece on top of that or coming off the back like this one (it's a pretty sweet looking incycler IMO). Basically combine @Frederick McGuire and @VJJJV drawings :D

EC8F246A-EAF8-43DA-85F7-0C40351A0D20_zpsboimz46c.jpg
I guess I just think that joining box thing for the mouthpiece looks cheap & tacked on?
Different strokes and all that... :)
WgCoc6J.jpg

Another thing I liked to see, ice on top of a pillar. Ignore that weird arm on there.
I'd rather see the mouthpiece be large enough to just add thrice through there...
I just think the top/stopper would ruin the lines of the piece.
(Maybe ice pinches in the sidecar mouthpiece? I don't think I've ever seen that, but it'd be cool :))

-------------------------
Another few potential designs I'd love:

FC-187-XL:
Basically take the FC-187, but scale it up to the size of a clear möbius bub (75mm can, 10 inches or so tall to the can, 11-12 inches tall to the top of the sidecar mouthpiece.
Keep the ion style - a nice thick and flared out base, but have the larger matrix perc, larger diameter and taller can.

FC-186
Same as the GB-186 stereo matrix clone, but with a sidecar mouthpiece.

Layback Swiss perc:
Thm162705_IMG_0929.JPG

gallery_large_1.jpg

Basically this, with a fritter (ideally) or honeycomb at the bottom as the perc, and with a more open mouthpiece (I hate those really closed mouthpieces, for me that's a deal breaker...
Ideally at least 6 holes in the Swiss section, preferably more...

Or a Swiss perc straight tube:
paddle_perc_percolator_h092_build_a_bong_base_swiss_perc_white.jpg

Basically this^^^
But with an inline or something at the bottom to help with chug.

VJJJV

VJJJV,
Reactions: nihil

EverythingsHazy

FC-186
Same as the GB-186 stereo matrix clone, but with a sidecar mouthpiece.

I think the fc-186 should be what's in the first pic I posted. It's not a sidecar. Sidecars are weird. They aren't symmetrical. Only really practical if you have the vape sitting on too of the can, which isn't as nice IMO because you don't get to look into the can to see the density of the hit. Not as much as with the vape on the opposite side of the can as the mouthpiece. Also, the gb-186 is more stable than having a vape on too of the can IMO, because the vape and mouthpiece balance each other since they both come out of opposite parts of the can.

The mouthpiece can either come straight from the can, or come out a bit like the one on the regular gb-186, but it shouldn't allow a little water to pool in the bottom of the mouthpiece where it connects to the can, because that can cause splashing into your mouth you shouldn't have to tilt the piece to shake that bit of water back into the can. It's not a big deal, but might as well get it right on the new design.

As far as the little extra box on top for the mouthpiece to come out of, it blocks the view straight into the can a bit, and as well as takes up height which could be used for more can soace like there is with the mouthpiece coming straight out of the side of it (not sidecar).

A matrix pillar like in the first post would probably kick ass IMO.

Last edited:

VJJJV

Alright, here is a little bit more polished version of the top piece. I don't really understand some of the suggestions. Maybe once I'm sober..
QCavCRq.jpg

So yeah the mouthpiece can't extend out too far or this will prbly not be stable. Otherwise the shape can be modified however I guess.
On the actual pillar there is only 2 tubes, since this is a sidecut. I guess it could be 6 or 8 tubes.
And I think the matrix below the pillar is actually a great idea. Should work well flow and effects.
I put the inline part lower so the pillar chamber doesn't fill too fast with smoke and then you can't see anything. Idk I still would prefer no smoke around the pillar I guess, or maybe water..

Btw. I have no clue how a matrix/bird cage works. If someone has a link that explains or shows it that be neat.

blankrider

I honestly think everyone is getting greedy thinking they deserve something for their suggestions. We are all EXTREMELY lucky to be able to purchase these knockoffs for the price they are being offered. Do any of you blow glass? Can you make these? If you could how much would you want for them? Have you even checked how much it cost to get a no name American blower to make some of these designs because it's a couple hundred bucks minimum. Did anyone here even create their own design or do you think you just deserve something for describing how to make something already invented by someone else.

Get real people! Be thankful for the good fortune we have instead of thinking we are owed something. If they doubled prices it would still be the best deal ever if you really think about it

VJJJV

Yeah okay or maybe just take a step back and look at it like any other market. American glass just happens to be overpriced and China glass hasn't taken off yet. But the market will only keep growing. At the moment some of these chinese glass makers have no clue what they're even making it seems. So even though what we could supply might seem worth 2 cents, to them it's the next big step in their business. I mean custom glass requests from china? Freaking genius! So who really deserves how much credit is very hard to say in this case I find. That's it.

blankrider

You don't get how small of a percentage we are. FC is not even 1% of the glass market. We are buying singles and maybe a couple at a time. There are head shops and businesses who order 1000 pieces at a time. They don't get a reward, their order just gets filled because they ordered enough for it to be worth it. but for us to custom order something previous unsold and offer it in singles because someone told you to is really going out on a limb. Dude did us a favor. Raw glass cost money, workers cost money, torches, buildings, shipping from China, they all cost money. We are getting this for $40 shipped. How much more could you ask for? How much profit do you think he makes per piece and what do you suggest his profit should be?

@VJJJV thanks for contributing that last image. It is very helpful in describing the function

Last edited:

VJJJV

Yeah and then there is prbly about a 1000 postings on dhgate for various pieces and they have 1 transaction and no it's not a scam/fake/new seller. I mean the FC-187 is already #6 in stevens top sellers. 168 transaction on #1. Most headshops don't buy 1000 copies of one specific piece, they maybe get 10-300. $40 shipped isn't that mind blowing, I mean yes, because it's custom requested, but that with a guarantee to make a lot more single sales than the average dhgate glass.

BUT ALL THAT DOESN'T MATTER, it's not like there's any other option (as I already said). I'm 100% cool with $40. I have no clue how much they should ask for, how much profit they make, if it's enough to pay for their kids school. All I know is that it's great that we can get these custom pieces from china, but that doesn't mean I should wanna fellatiate the seller.

edit: I admit I did feel a little high and mighty at the start of this thread thinking: "We will design the greatest pieces of glass on earth and have them for $40 each! But then this pesky Mr.China is going to become famous with MY design!" or something like that...

edit2: haha "high and mighty" :rofl:

blankrider

If it was made right who doesn't think 100 would be a reasonable price for a peyote pillar?

I'm not saying that I want things to be expensive! I'm just saying the real thing is like 700 for a mini and over 1000 for full size. Even an Itza is a few hundred used.

and no we are not locked in at 40 for all pieces designed here. Just 40 for the 187. Other prices will be set by the difficulty to produce the piece

VJJJV

Idk it depends on how hard it is to make, maybe the tubes have be fairly precise for the bubbles to move like that. The price on the real thing surely is mostly based on the effect, branding and rarity.
That also might influence the price on a dhgate version. Simply because it is so rare at the moment a seller can up it, knowing that we want at least 50 pieces. That's just supply-demand.

Also $100 will prbly be too much for a lot of people. That's the point where you might as well get some american glass, not a pillar, but something else.

EverythingsHazy

If it was made right who doesn't think 100 would be a reasonable price for a peyote pillar?

I'm not saying that I want things to be expensive! I'm just saying the real thing is like 700 for a mini and over 1000 for full size. Even an Itza is a few hundred used.

There are several things to keep in mind from both sides here:

-In comparison to "real" pieces, anything sub $100 for a good bubbler/bong is awesome. Although several hundred for some of these pieces that are not much different than the china ones, just for the logo, and bragging rights, is a bit much. I doubt aqualabs is paying hundreds to make each of their pieces.

-The chinese sellers are getting good designs that they are pretty much guaranteed to profit from for as long as they want to. At least several hundred dollars per design, per first week or so it seems, isn't too farfetched an estimate for their benefit.

-These are "bong knockoffs" made in China. The workers are probably not getting very much pay, so we can't judge the price/amount of work the same way as American companies. I doubt there is a minimum wage for bong replicators, or that many of the people working on the pieces have any actual glass blowing training aside from welding joints. If they did, things wouldn't usually lean in one direction or the other. :lol:
That said, it's more than I'm equipped to do.

-We WOULD BE getting nice pieces out of the deal.

-The "designs" aren't really ours to "sell" or license or anything, unless we come up with our own perc or branding or something like that.

Perhaps an FC coupon or something for members who get in on FC pieces during their launch would be a good idea, but I wouldn't go too much farther than that. Not just for suggestions on simple mods to existing pieces anyway.

Top Bottom